IGNORED

How do you grip and swing your putter?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

How do you grip and swing your putter?  

44 members have voted

1. 1. What technique do you use to grip and swing your putter?

• Baseball grip, facing the ball
    • Standard Overlap, facing the ball
    • Standard Interlocking, facing the ball
    • Reverse Overlap, facing the ball
    • Left hand low (or right hand if a lefty), facing the ball
    • Long putter without anchor, facing the ball
    • Belly without anchor, facing the ball
    • Side saddle, split grip, facing the hole (long, belly or standard)
    • Forearm braced (Kuchar), split grip, facing the ball
    • Claw-type grip, split grip, facing the ball
    • Anchored putting stroke (the heck with the USGA/R&A)
    • One handed, facing the ball
    • Something else - describe if possible

I set up square to the line except for extremely long putts - in which case I prefer an open stance.  I use the same over-lapping grip with all my clubs and swing low and slow.  I use fairly large, smooth, Lamkin putter grips and install them such that the flat surface is in line with the putter face.  That way I can "feel" the face of the putter in my left hand...sorta like a hockey stick.  I got the idea while recovering from a minor injury, to my left wrist, during which time my right hand got too involved in the process.  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

double reverse overlap. Hover at address,slight descending "tap/rap" to get the ball rolling, not much follow through. Feeling of a tap in, but from a distance away. My idea is, get the ball started on the right line without skidding.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

I use 'Something Else'  and it's the old 'Bernhard Langer' style putting stroke before he used the long putter. I seem to recollect Pelz saying it was the most accurate method from 10ft in but I can't find any videos or websites to back that claim. Its similar to the 'Gator Clamp'  style shown on the below video at 1:44  but my right hand clamps with the fingers and thumb pointing to the ground.

I use the same standard interlock grip for the putter as I use for every other club, but I'm slightly open at address.  It's how I started many, many years ago, and I've always been a fairly good putter, so I've never felt the need to try anything else.

Rick

"He who has the fastest cart will never have a bad lie."

I use a version of 10-finger I suppose.  Right hand low with grip in my palms .  Index finger of left hand points down shaft but just barely rests on shaft.  My stroke is a pendulum and I focus on keeping my head down well after I've hit the putt. My tendency is to lift out of the putt to early.

I don't know why I grip the putter the way I do.  I did switch to a winn 3.0 grip about 6 years ago, I think, which really helped.  I may try a overlap grip but still with grip in my palms.  I can see, by putting at work, that there's certainly less potential movement in my wrists.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

It appears this poll has run its course.  The "standard interlocking" grip was the most common method (24%) followed by the baseball grip (18%).

Under the "other" category there were quite a few multi-finger overlap grips.  The fact that I did not include that as an option shows my ignorance of this form of grip.  I may give this a try. A special tip of the cap to @The Recreational Golfer for his nice photo display of his grip technique.

I was surprised by how few used the "Left Hand Low" approach as that seems like a common grip on Tour.  Also, -0- "claw" grippers.  

Brian Kuehn

I use the standard interlocking.

I tried the left hand low method towards the end of last fall and early this spring. I wanted to try this method hoping that it would help me bang in some putts 6-8' and closer. It worked for banging short ones, but I struggled with distance control on putts 20' and longer.

Fat grip - right handed

6 fingers interlocked, both index fingers down the sides of the grip.  Right hand is lower (as much as a 6 finger interlock allows anyway).  The left hand is really welded to the grip (skin contact, not necessarily holding it tight).

best results so far of everything I've tried.

Bill - 

• 3 weeks later...

Trying the double reverse overlap and it's working well . I like how my palms are facing its other.  Feel like my hands work together 

I also tried the double interlocking grip so my hands are close together like the double reverse overlap and it's giving me more confidence when palms are parallel to each other 

For short putts underneath the hole I making all of them 

Edited by dchoye

I always putted with and overlapping grip, the same as my normal grip with an iron. After reading this post I thought I would try the same thing with my index finger pointing down the shaft. I think it has probably knocked off at least a shot a round. This is why it is good to go on forums such as this

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

I think it's the baseball grip. It is 10 finger, with a neutral to weak left hand, and strong right hand.

As far as the stroke, on longer ones I like to favor the face open a bit. Then I kind of "chicken wing" the upper left/lead arm, sneaking the club through the ball. This helps me keep it straight, or at worse push it a little.

So if it's a putt that falls left, I rest easy permitting either result (long putts). If it falls right, I aim left and try to hit it straight.

On shorter ones, I setup with the face more closed, and feel like I'm powering the stroke more with my chest.

Edited by bm85

I use a "traditional" overlap for most of my putting; however towards the end of 2015 I noticed I had a tendency to pull short putts. So for what is a gimmie length and slighly longer I now go with left hand low as that tends to block my "pull" miss.

I've tried left hand low but didn't like the feel for distance, so I switch

(disclosure - no such thing as a gimmie)

Players play, tough players win!

Note: This thread is 2642 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!