IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau's New Putting Stroke (Side-Saddle)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

6 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

He needs another gimmick to get back into the news this year. In six months he'll be playing with two gloves, bare feet, and a cowboy hat.

And wearing copper infused wrist bands and knee braces! :-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

He needs another gimmick to get back into the news this year. In six months he'll be playing with two gloves, bare feet, and a cowboy hat.

Yeah.  Maybe he should just try the old fashioned way...playing well enough to win, or at least make some more cuts!

:-)

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

11 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

that guy plays at my local muni.  seriously, his hat is pink and he wears a green tshirt with cutoff sleeves...

Colin P.

Watching CareerBuilder Challenge and his routine takes quite some doing.

Can you say "Slooowww"  - way to long.

It would be tough playing in his group.

Not to mention the talking face announcers carrying on & on about his style.

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

1 minute ago, Club Rat said:

Watching CareerBuilder Challenge and his routine takes quite some doing.

Can you say "Slooowww"  - way to long.

It would be tough playing in his group.

Not to mention the talking face announcers carrying on & on about his style.

Are you sure it's slower than the rest of the players ... or is it more likely that they're just actually showing his whole routine because they want to talk about it and have us see how quirky he is?  Except on Sundays and/or during majors, they usually only cut to players who are just about ready to hit their putt so we don't ever see what their routines looked like prior to them coming on air.

18 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

slower than the rest of the players

I'll put him on the clock and post time it takes when it's his turn.

I'll also clock other players while I'm watching.

Just after I posted, PGA Live goes off air ...

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

On 1/9/2017 at 10:35 PM, iacas said:

Yeah, nobody's really gonna watch that. It's an hour and thirteen minutes long.

So update of part of a prior post with some more helpful guidance to the relevant part of the video below which may address why DeChambeau's technique has potential merit (particularly if he's not a skillful putter conventionally).

The core of Sasho Mckenzie's point and the study he did in support of it is covered from 56:01 to 1:04 (~ 8 minutes total). The embedded link should start at 56:01.

The takeaway is that for putting mechanics face matters much more than path and face angle errors tend to be small.

Green reading and accurately producing intended speed are the biggest potential error factors to successfully hole putts.

Looking at the hole (with enough practice to become a familiar technique) vs. looking at the ball tends to produce better results with speed and holing putts. This is likely due to the effect where there is an exponential decay in the 'minds eye' of the distance to a far target when it is no longer in view.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

• Administrator
20 minutes ago, natureboy said:

The takeaway is that for putting mechanics face matters much more than path and face angle errors tend to be small.

Maybe he means relative to where you line up… but I see a lot of people who can't aim their putters within 4-5° of where they're trying to line up.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe he means relative to where you line up… but I see a lot of people who can't aim their putters within 4-5° of where they're trying to line up.

Fair enough. He's addressing the general, 'on average' case, particularly for somewhat experienced / reasonably skilled individuals. As always, your personal mileage may vary.

In the longer portion he advocates specifically testing for individual fault sources to see if there is a gross error as you describe. I can't remember, but it's possible he'd likely say that your example golfer with face control issues is also likely suffering in the other areas (read and speed) even more greatly. To improve all would need to be addressed until the face angle error was reasonably 'within tolerances' vs. focusing exclusively on face & path (which I know you don't do).

The implication I took away for his 'deterministic model' was that for fairly experienced (or naturally consistent) putters with decent ability to aim and control the face (low error spread / variance) read and speed become much more important as focal points for practice.

Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Side - Saddle putting is the new thing at my club. I'm seeing it a lot on the practice putting greens. As far as I'm concerned, it's just another 'give up' grip.

Apparently, the USGA told DeChambeau that his putter (not the method) was non-conforming due to its centered shaft.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/report-bryson-dechambeau-forced-to-alter-his-putter-after-being-told-it-was-non-conforming-by-the-usga

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

How on Earth does putting side-saddle, with a center-shafted putter, take skill out of the game?  

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

• Administrator
16 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

Apparently, the USGA told DeChambeau that his putter (not the method) was non-conforming due to its centered shaft.

I don't think it actually has to do with the center-shafted nature.

I think it has to do with the rules re: the lie angle, as I previously noted.

KJ Choi previously used a putter (the "Juan Putt") that is center shafted for quite awhile a few summers ago.

http://www.juanputt.com

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Rules are rules, non confirming putter, say no more.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

12 hours ago, Hardspoon said:

:offtopic:

This is my favorite golf-product website ever. That is all.

Quien es mas macho? KJ Choi o Bryson DeChambeau?  KJ Choi!:-P

I'm kind of glad this happened. This goofy style irritates me for some reason.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Note: This thread is 2607 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!