IGNORED

Bryson DeChambeau's New Putting Stroke (Side-Saddle)

mvmac
Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:58 AM, krupa said:

Well, he finished.

+3 in his first round.  Lot of people still have to finish but he's T128 as I type this.   

On ‎24‎/‎02‎/‎2017 at 2:58 AM, krupa said:

Well, he finished.

+3 in his first round.  Lot of people still have to finish but he's T128 as I type this.   

My Saturday afternoon your morning, see he not with field for the weekend, missed looking at result today as I had a early tee time today, nice golf day and reasonable score for a old bloke ,nett 66.

Titleist 915 D2-10.5°, Titleist 915 F 15°, PING G25 16.5°, PING G30 Hybrid 19°
PING G25 4-W, Cleveland RTX 588 Rotex 2.0 48°/52°
Rife Bimini Island Series Putter, PING DLX Bag
Sureshot Rangefinder, PING Sensor Glove, Srixon Q star Balls.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Given that he's missed 6 of 9 cuts so far this year, maybe he should be thanking the USGA.

I'm liking this nut job less and less with each passing week...

• Upvote 3

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

11 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Given that he's missed 6 of 9 cuts so far this year, maybe he should be thanking the USGA.

Bryson's hat thinks he's a douche.

• Upvote 2

Colin P.

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Seriously…

“I’m pretty much done with it. They’re not a good organization, and you can quote me on that. I’m part of their family and as family it’s very frustrating to see them stunt the growth of the game.”

Wow, dude. Yeah, saying that your putter doesn't conform to the lie angle requirements is really "stunting the growth of the game." And because they're enforcing a rule that's been around as long as I've been alive (let alone him), IIRC, that makes them "not a good organization."

The putter was eventually ruled as non-conforming by the USGA and DeChambeau switched to a different, conforming model starting in Palm Springs. He continued with it for two more starts, at Torrey Pines and Pebble Beach, before ditching the method at the Genesis Open.

Right, see, it's the putter - his equipment. That's it. Because he wanted to use it almost vertically, it violated the idea that golf is a side-on game and the rules that have been around for a long, long time.

What a douche.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

His quirkiness has gone from being interesting to now being annoying. I wouldn't mind if he didn't become a star on the PGA Tour. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

• Administrator

The comments on the Golf Digest Instagram post @mvmac posted above are pretty telling: very, very, very few positive comments or anti-USGA comments.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Amount of people that are waiting to take up golf but can't because of the USGA.

mp900400285.jpg

• Upvote 5

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

5 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Amount of people that are waiting to take up golf but can't because of the USGA.

mp900400285.jpg

Remarkably, it is also the same number that care about this guy's side saddle putting troubles. 

• Upvote 3

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

8 hours ago, saevel25 said:

His quirkiness has gone from being interesting to now being annoying. I wouldn't mind if he didn't become a star on the PGA Tour. 

I agree with you except for one word: "now." :)

Its actually been annoying for quite some time.  The whole single length thing was plenty quirky enough but it's no big deal - in fact, it is a bit fascinating. But when he started with the putting thing it started to seem a lot like his goal was to make a name for himself specifically by being quirky.

Funny thing is if he could play well then we'd tolerate the quirkiness a lot easier.

• Upvote 2

He said...

“It [was] a long conversation,” DeChambeau said after a 71 to miss the cut by four shots. “But the USGA essentially doesn’t like me doing it.

They said...

“We talked to Bryson in mid-January to discuss both his putter and his method of stroke,” USGA spokesperson Janeen Driscoll said via email. “In that conversation we confirmed that his method of stroke (side-saddle) was fully compliant within the Rules of Golf, and he could feel confident in continuing to employ that method.”

In the past, DeChambeau has said that the USGA doesn't want him to do it because it makes the game too easy.  So his latest comments just keep up that narrative.  It's not a believable claim, though, since it's in the USGA's best interest to get as many people golfing as possible.

Are projects like these (http://www.geekwire.com/2016/microsoft-sensoria-partner-pga-pro-bryson-dechambeau-create-smart-golf-grip/) distracting him from actually practicing?

With eight embedded sensors, DeChambeau can receive real-time data analyzed in the cloud by Microsoft Azure that shows how exactly he held the club throughout a swing.

“The data collected from Bryson over time will be analyzed during future phases of the project in a Machine Learning environment to build new intelligent golf data streams, helping him determine the right grip and club usage, swing speed, rhythm, plane, and other performance and swing-mechanics variables,” Microsoft added in the blog post.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

• Administrator

It's fine that he apologized. I think better of him for doing that than had he not.

But he's still earned a net negative in this whole thing, and I think he was speaking honestly before. He thinks the USGA is punishing him or something, when they're just enforcing the same old rules.

1 hour ago, krupa said:

Are projects like these (http://www.geekwire.com/2016/microsoft-sensoria-partner-pga-pro-bryson-dechambeau-create-smart-golf-grip/) distracting him from actually practicing?

That's funny because I have a very similar thought when I see him on that Microsoft commercial.  Showing him talk about how analyzing all of the data will help make him better.  That's fine and dandy on paper, but it does seem like he's so technical and into nerdy stuff that it might take away from him actually practicing.

21 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

That's funny because I have a very similar thought when I see him on that Microsoft commercial.  Showing him talk about how analyzing all of the data will help make him better.  That's fine and dandy on paper, but it does seem like he's so technical and into nerdy stuff that it might take away from him actually practicing.

He likes his toys too much.  There's been so much hype around him that he's trying to ride that wave instead of playing golf.  He needs to step back to his amateur days in terms of practice and just taking the game seriously.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

• Administrator
3 hours ago, phillyk said:

He likes his toys too much.  There's been so much hype around him that he's trying to ride that wave instead of playing golf.  He needs to step back to his amateur days in terms of practice and just taking the game seriously.

Or… golf is hard, and he got hot for awhile.

Wouldn't be the first flash in the pan.

We'll have to wait to see what the true version is. He could be quiet for ten years and then win a few majors.

5 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

That's what I thought when I saw the commercial.  I am kind of close to the subject matter of the commercial so I thought . .yeah, that makes sense . .getting into a whole bunch of things that seem nifty, definitely cost a lot and don't really do anything to further your real-life goals . .that's the Microsoft I know, lol. 

On 12/31/2016 at 8:30 PM, WUTiger said:

I have seen side-saddle putters before at the St. Louis Golf Expo (coming in February). A small-shop clubsmith usually brings a few to demonstrate and sell.

If he comes this year, I'll get some pix and a video clip.

Went to expo two weeks ago, but the side-saddle putter maker was a no-show.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

18 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Funny thing is if he could play well then we'd tolerate the quirkiness a lot easier.

Great reference - completely applicable 

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Note: This thread is 2615 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!