Sign in to follow this  
mvmac

Bryson DeChambeau's New Putting Stroke (Side-Saddle)

Note: This thread is 933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

109 posts / 12582 viewsLast Reply

I read this a this a month or so ago that he was experimenting with side-saddle.

http://www.cbssports.com/golf/news/bryson-dechambeau-reportedly-considers-switching-to-side-saddle-putting/

Alan Shipnuck of Golf.com pointed out earlier this year that DeChambeau has actually tried this (with success) before as an amateur.

DeChambeau employed that stroke during the summer of 2013, winning the Trans-Mississippi Amateur along the way, and he still practices it with [coach Mike] Schy. He went away from it because he was wary of the constant scrutiny, but he vows to return to sidesaddle "once my Tour card is secure." He adds, "Everything about my game is different; my putting might as well be too."

And then just saw this. Looks like he's going to see how it goes in competition. I'm not an expert on side-saddle but I've never seen this technique/hand position before. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

44 minutes ago, mvmac said:

And then just saw this. Looks like he's going to see how it goes in competition. I'm not an expert on side-saddle but I've never seen this technique/hand position before.

I wonder if most side-saddle methods would violate the anchored stroke thing. The off-side arm (if on your right side, your left arm) might be touching your chest or stomach in most cases.

Maybe?

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

I wonder if most side-saddle methods would violate the anchored stroke thing. The off-side arm (if on your right side, your left arm) might be touching your chest or stomach in most cases.

Maybe?

A year ago I adopted a side-saddle method and love it. I do not anchor the putter, but admittedly, I do notice my left forearm will rest against my body...not sure if that violates the rule or not.

3 minutes ago, woodzie264 said:

A year ago I adopted a side-saddle method and love it. I do not anchor the putter, but admittedly, I do notice my left forearm will rest against my body...not sure if that violates the rule or not.

Well…

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/infographics/2016-anchoring-the-club-final.pdf

Look at the middle of the image in the red section.

33 minutes ago, iacas said:

Maybe?

Huh.  Hadn't thought about that...

1 hour ago, iacas said:

Well…

http://www.usga.org/content/dam/usga/images/infographics/2016-anchoring-the-club-final.pdf

I think I'm good. After looking at the pics (which were very helpful btw), I'm most like the top right pic in the blue section. When I started using that method my buddies were on me about anchoring and from what we can tell I'm ok. I will have to make the conscious effort to check it out the next time I practice to ensure I'm legal. :beer:

3 hours ago, iacas said:

Well…

Yeah it's something to consider. Here's a good player from Northern Cal that's been using side-saddle for a long time.

10 hours ago, David in FL said:

I'm starting to get the impression that his primary requirement for trying something is that it's different....

I find it comical that players at their level, who can smash a driver 300+ or stripe an 8-iron from 175 have to resort to all sorts of weird setups and grips to putt. Putting is the easiest golf swing by far. My 83 old mother can putt.

I think Bryson likes the spotlight of being different, sort of the Mad Hatter of the PGA Tour.  Unconventional irons, hat and now putting stroke.  If you can't be best, be an attention *****.  

That is... certainly something. But if it gives him peace of mind over a putt, I can't really be negative about it. Putting is weird. 

Very odd that he knowingly wants to change his putting stroke after getting his card. Why would you change something that helped get you there? If he truly thought that stroke was best for his game why abandon it after previously using it? It seems to be that he is going out of his way to be different for the sake of being different and attention, not necessarily whats best for his game.  

5 minutes ago, JxQx said:

Very odd that he knowingly wants to change his putting stroke after getting his card. Why would you change something that helped get you there? If he truly thought that stroke was best for his game why abandon it after previously using it? It seems to be that he is going out of his way to be different for the sake of being different and attention, not necessarily whats best for his game.  

Because getting there is not the same as staying there, or excelling?

8 hours ago, newtogolf said:

I think Bryson likes the spotlight of being different, sort of the Mad Hatter of the PGA Tour.  Unconventional irons, hat and now putting stroke.  If you can't be best, be an attention *****.  

Awesome summary..... you nailed it!!! 

21 hours ago, iacas said:

Maybe?

If this might be anchoring, then Langer HAS to be anchoring...

Wait… does Bryson's putter have an 80° lie angle or less?

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-14323 Appendix II, 1d:

the projection of the straight part of the shaft on to the vertical plane through the toe and heel must diverge from the vertical by at least 10 degrees (see Fig. II). If the overall design of the club is such that the player can effectively use the club in a vertical or close-to-vertical position, the shaft may be required to diverge from the vertical in this plane by as much as 25 degrees;

Note: This thread is 933 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!