IGNORED

Becoming a Pro - Career Progression

Golfingaddiction
Note: This thread is 2660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am new to both this site, and game of golf as I only picked up a club for the first time 6 and a half months ago. I believe I belong to a small group of gifted golfers, as I have a 4 handicap and am regularly just barely off of par on a par 72 course. (Yes I understand the claim I just made. No I am not a troll.) my goal is scratch or under by the 10 month mark, as it's currently below zero where I live which makes it difficult to get out and continue my progress. I am an extremely long ball hitter (at 6'5" 260 pounds and 24 years old) and regularly hit 300+ on my drives with a longest personal drive of about 340 yards, and start hitting my sand wedge at 150 yards. I believe I can make money playing golf in the near future (3-4 years hopefully), but how do I get to that point? My state doesn't have much for big amateur tournaments besides your average run of the mill club house scrambles and the like, and traveling to different states to play in amateur tourneys isn't much of a possibility right now. Any helpful tips or ideas are more than welcome. 

Thank you for your time. 

Edited by Golfingaddiction
Left out content

• iacas changed the title to Becoming a Pro - Career Progression
11 hours ago, Golfingaddiction said:

I believe I can make money playing golf in the near future (3-4 years hopefully), but how do I get to that point? My state doesn't have much for big amateur tournaments besides your average run of the mill club house scrambles and the like, and traveling to different states to play in amateur tourneys isn't much of a possibility right now. Any helpful tips or ideas are more than welcome.

That is quite an accomplishment, regularly shooting par or close to it after a year.

Maybe start by winning the Montana Men's Amateur (7/21-23/2017 @Missoula CC).  The MSGA also has a lot of local non-scramble tournaments listed.  Once you have trounced all the local talent, you will be ready to take the next step.

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you are in Montana and most of all when you're ready, go over to Canada and go to a Monday qualifier for the Canadian PGA Tour.  I know guys who have played in that tour and were solid +3 or better handicaps that didn't get very far.  But at the same token, it'll give you a good idea about where you need to get to.  Or try some USGA qualifiers.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

26 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Once you have trounced all the local talent, you will be ready to take the next step.

I'm guessing that @bkuehn1952 is on the money.  First, you have to beat the local competition, and you probably need to trounce them to have a chance at the next level.  But the next level may require you to relocate to an area with more top-level golfers.  One of the young members at my club tried to play some professional golf, after playing to scratch or better with the Cornell University golf team.  He had the backing of his parents, but pretty soon realized that he just couldn't get to level he needed to be competitive.  Remember, p[laying at scratch isn't nearly good enough to make money in professional golf, you'll need to get to +4 or +5 to even begin to have a chance.  Good luck!

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator

You don't seem to have a GHIN listing.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

11 minutes ago, iacas said:

You don't seem to have a GHIN listing.

I don't think that the Montana State GA uses Ghin, it looks as if they do their handicap calculations in-house.

http://www.msgagolf.org/handicap-search/

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

I don't think that the Montana State GA uses Ghin, it looks as if they do their handicap calculations in-house.

http://www.msgagolf.org/handicap-search/

Right you are. These are the only listings:

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-07%20at%2010.50.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

20 minutes ago, iacas said:

Right you are. These are the only listings:

Screen%20Shot%202016-12-07%20at%2010.50.

Well then that's interesting. It doesn't seem to add up...:hmm:

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

13 hours ago, Golfingaddiction said:

Ladies and gentlemen,

I am new to both this site, and game of golf as I only picked up a club for the first time 6 and a half months ago. I believe I belong to a small group of gifted golfers, as I have a 4 handicap and am regularly just barely off of par on a par 72 course. (Yes I understand the claim I just made. No I am not a troll.) my goal is scratch or under by the 10 month mark, as it's currently below zero where I live which makes it difficult to get out and continue my progress. I am an extremely long ball hitter (at 6'5" 260 pounds and 24 years old) and regularly hit 300+ on my drives with a longest personal drive of about 340 yards, and start hitting my sand wedge at 150 yards. I believe I can make money playing golf in the near future (3-4 years hopefully), but how do I get to that point? My state doesn't have much for big amateur tournaments besides your average run of the mill club house scrambles and the like, and traveling to different states to play in amateur tourneys isn't much of a possibility right now. Any helpful tips or ideas are more than welcome. 

Thank you for your time. 

No advice, but THAT is extraordinary.

Vishal S.

It is a long way from a four cap to playing professionally. A course I played at 15 years ago the pros son played to a 2 Cap. He was 17 at the time. When he was 20 he played professionally and while he made some money he did not last long on tour. It is a hard thing to make it on a professional tour. To earn money of any kind you need to get to at least +4 or better. You need to be shooting 64-66 most every time out on regular courses. You will need to play a lot of golf you will need a lot of money for lessons and more importantly you need a lot of time to work on your game. From every thing I have heard it is fairly easy to get down to around 5 handicap, but then to get to scratch and even better takes not only time but talent and a lot of money. Then when you think you are ready you will need a sponsor in order to even try to get on tour and play. It is a hard thing you are trying to accomplish and I wish you the best of luck.

I am not trying to say it can't be done, just that it is a very hard and expensive thing to do. My brother in law took off a year from work and tried to qualify for the Seniors Tour some twenty years ago. You could Monday qualify back then. He spent the whole year trying and did not make it. He did however say I would rather try and fail than to wonder the rest of my life if I could have done it. 

As everyone else has said, but maybe in a different way: each stroke off your handicap from any point forward will be exponentially tougher. And yea you need to be playing at a level (typically) of 4+ or higher. 

Don't let that diminish what talent you have had up to this point. Shooting par after less than a year is remarkable, but that may only be the first 10% of the progression to holding a ~+4 (or better) level of play. To put it in perspective, I believe there are some women on the LPGA tour that if they were to keep a tournament handicap some women have +9 HC. And that's just in big tournaments.

Last point, from reading around, tournament golf is apparently a whole other animal in and of itself. Most people play more poorly in official tournaments over recreational golf.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

• Administrator
2 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

Well then that's interesting. It doesn't seem to add up...:hmm:

Well, not necessarily. The OP is welcome to clarify though.

I don't believe any of the OP's post.   We have seen these outrageous posts before but this one is at near the top.  His "I am not a troll" is a sure giveaway.   He is probably a frustrated bogey golfer poking fun at other golfers.  I don't believe any PGA pros got to 4 HI in 6 months.   Of course, if the OP can present some or any proof that he started golf only 6 months ago and is a 4 HI golfer, I will believe his story.   I will even apologize for this post.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

5 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

I don't believe any of the OP's post.   We have seen these outrageous posts before but this one is at near the top.  His "I am not a troll" is a sure giveaway.   He is probably a frustrated bogey golfer poking fun at other golfers. 

If he is indeed a troll he probably doesn't even play golf.

Michael

• Administrator

How about giving a little benefit of the doubt, guys?

@Golfingaddiction, how about a little proof? It'll shut some people up and let them focus on answering your questions.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, iacas said:

How about giving a little benefit of the doubt, guys?

@Golfingaddiction, how about a little proof? It'll shut some people up and let them focus on answering your questions.

I try. I really really do try... 

- Shane

Note: This thread is 2660 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!