IGNORED

My Swing (Hatchman)

Hatchman
Note: This thread is 2493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For the next 30 days I'll be concentrating on strengthening the shoulder using bands, etc, and a D4/5 wedge while working Evolver drills.  I'll probably spend time in the pitts every other day hitting balls.  

IMG_0289.JPG

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

12 hours ago, Hatchman said:

For the next 30 days I'll be concentrating on strengthening the shoulder using bands, etc, and a D4/5 wedge while working Evolver drills.  I'll probably spend time in the pitts every other day hitting balls.  

IMG_0289.JPG

When you do the band work for your shoulder, really focus on form and not adding extra resistance. This will actually help your shoulder get stronger/better faster.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

19 minutes ago, boogielicious said:

When you do the band work for your shoulder, really focus on form and not adding extra resistance. This will actually help your shoulder get stronger/better faster.

Yes, good point.  They provided several colors and I'll try not to accelerate too fast.  Thanks.

Edited by Hatchman

Just now, Hatchman said:

Yes, good point.  They provided several colors and I I'll try not to accelerate too fast.  Thanks.

I kind of did that and it set me back a bit. If it gets too easy, do more reps for a while before moving up.

Scott

My Swing Thread

I sometimes have a feeling that I'm off balance probably from leaning over at address towards the ball. As I work on my flexibility and swing during January, I want to start setting up closer to the ball making a conscious effort to check my posture (flexed knees) and hand position (closer to the thighs).  

IMG_4178.JPG

3 minutes ago, Hatchman said:

I sometimes have a feeling that I'm off balance probably from leaning over at address towards the ball. As I work on my flexibility and swing during January, I want to start setting up closer to the ball making a conscious effort to check my posture (flexed knees) and hand position (closer to the thighs).  

IMG_4178.JPG

What does your Evolvr instructor say? Mine, Stephan, had my think more about having my arms hang straight down like Tiger above and not about distance from the ball. 

Scott

My Swing Thread

1 minute ago, boogielicious said:

What does your Evolvr instructor say? Mine, Stephan, had my think more about having my arms hang straight down like Tiger above and not about distance from the ball. 

Yes, Stephan only used spacing of my hand position at address related to a gap with my thighs, a hands width, for example.  Mine are far too away from my thighs, say one foot.   When I think about it, can't really set a distance from the ball; different length clubs, height of golfers.  This picture of Tiger I found gives me a visual reminder of correct posture and a quick visual check I can do at address, I believe and will work on, by looking down my hand line to my shoes as I move my hands inward at address.   Right now I just basically lean over and strike the ball.  Thanks for the tip on arms hanging straight down.

This morning at the range prior to playing 9 holes.  Continued with working on address position to be more upright and with the hands closer in with my instructor from Evolvr.  Ball flight seemed more consistent.  

Trying to show hand position and club at finish position.  May be just a little higher now working towards a wider extension.  A couple hundred balls a day should continue to help strengthen and keep the shoulder loose while working on the address position.

As I move towards month 2, I'm encouraged by seeing a little bit or extension in finishing at little taller with hand higher.   Not just wrapping the club behind the neck on full swings shorting the range.  Hope I can achieve more flexibility and get the belt buckle up past horizontal.  With the Evolvr work, I think so.

IMG_3349.JPG

(edited)

Will be working this weekend at the Riverfront practice facilities to continue with set up, taller posture, hand position, and tilt and turn.   Then some shots from 30-100 yards, and new videos.  Flexibility slow to respond but coming just like with PT.   I'm posting this picture taken after total knee replacement to remind myself of the limited range of motion (ROM).  I do like the shaft angle relative to the spine angle for this shot from inside 100 yards.  Let's see if I can improve.

IMG_2673.JPG

Edited by Hatchman
Additional Video Information

(edited)

Was able to hit a few holes after swings yesterday in a 2 club wind.  A little depressing seeing a few pitcures taken from playing mates.  But I can't fix what I don't acknowledge.  The hands are still too far away from the body (this is going to take time to fix).  Restricted turn.  Hands too low.  Oh boy.  I did like some angles I see and the knee flex rather than just bending over to address the ball as it took a little tension off the knee joint.  Thanks Stephan, my Evolvr instructor.  A little more full arm extension at the bottom of the swing as the ball flew an easy arm swing 147 pin high right.  Ball sounded crisp coming off of the club face.  A little progress.  Weekend work planned at the practice facility for about 4 hours.  

IMG_0382.JPG

IMG_0383.JPG

IMG_0384.JPG

Edited by Hatchman
Typo

Heading off to the practice facility soon for a few hours work.   But before I leave, I looked at the video Mike took while we hit into this windy par 3 shown above.  I can't seem to keep the arms in a better address position hanging straight down.  Practice related to play on the course does differs.  Got to concentrate better and use check points even though results of a shot might be positive.  My skewed perception or shot feedback might be somewhat deceptive.

Been working on trying to turn better to where my back is pointing more towards the target.  Doing reps of these daily plus other work like posture and hand position. The feeling of tightness I had going in is starting to come around.  Hard to describe, but it does not twing as much now.  My head seems bolted on the shoulders however...and I possibly lose sight of the ball with one eye.  But I am not thinking of that piece about the head during this, just turning as far as I can right now.  Maybe I should though.  The posture feels a little more comfortable as I'm not leaning forward as much.  Been hitting a few balls on the course with the closer in hand position.   Found I better not just arm swing, got to turn through it, or I drive the head into the ground.  Didn't take long to learn that lesson.  Glad it was soft turf.

17 hours ago, Hatchman said:

Been working on trying to turn better to where my back is pointing more towards the target.  Doing reps of these daily plus other work like posture and hand position. The feeling of tightness I had going in is starting to come around.  Hard to describe, but it does not twing as much now.  My head seems bolted on the shoulders however...and I possibly lose sight of the ball with one eye.  But I am not thinking of that piece about the head during this, just turning as far as I can right now.  Maybe I should though.  The posture feels a little more comfortable as I'm not leaning forward as much.  Been hitting a few balls on the course with the closer in hand position.   Found I better not just arm swing, got to turn through it, or I drive the head into the ground.  Didn't take long to learn that lesson.  Glad it was soft turf.

Looking good. Watch your head dipping as you turn. Also, try holding the turn on a few of them for 10-15 seconds. This helps strengthen the core to support the turn. And remember to do both ways. I do this drill a lot.

• Upvote 1

Scott

My Swing Thread

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

Watch your head dipping as you turn. Also, try holding the turn on a few of them for 10-15 seconds. This helps strengthen the core to support the turn. And remember to do both ways. I do this drill a lot.

I saw that in the video too :(  The videos certainly reveal things.  Agree, not too stiff now so I'll try and hold longer at the end of range as you suggest.  Thanks for the feedback. 

After stretching, did a little work on the longer clubs.  Both on the range for 45 minutes then the course for an hour.  Had to bounce around on the course to catch open holes I could set video up on quickly.  Want to see how range practice to play relates for me.  Got to watch out, I creep back to speed up and move away from the ball.  

I'm seeing a lot of work to do in these videos like the folding of the arms on the backswing and folding my right hand into my side during/after the turn, weird.  One piece at a time.  Will be sending new videos to Evolvr soon.  The initial work so far I'm really enjoying.  Progress not perfection, but wondering just how I'd hit it with a longer and more balanced swing.

IMG_0476.JPG

• Administrator
On 1/18/2017 at 2:40 PM, Hatchman said:

Good. Get the left hip and shoulder higher - that should help.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Note: This thread is 2493 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!