Sign in to follow this  
GangGreen

Driver fades and irons draw?

Note: This thread is 1163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

9 posts / 3446 viewsLast Reply

Over the last few years I've been working on a more inside-to-out swing path with my instructor and, for the most part, it seems to be working with my irons with my now reworked swing being more of a draw with a hook for a miss.  It hasn't seemed to translate yet to the driver as my "better" shots tend to fade slightly and my misses end up being wicked slices.  It's something I still need to work on, I know, but just wondering if there are those out their that play their driver one way and their irons another and, if so, should I just go with it.   

Register for free today and you won't see this ad spot again!

I draw my woods and fade my irons. Want to switch.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

If you want other opinions beyond your instructor, you could start a My Swing thread.  Search for the post that gives instructions on how to do that if you haven't.  Or link to it here and upload recent videos if you have.

I would say that while yes you want to get to the point where you are capable of either shape and can choose, there are lots of high level pros whose stock drive is a fade and stock iron shot is  a draw

About two years ago I reshafted my irons and decided to try irons fade, woods draw. It only worked about one out of three days.

And on days I was really, really off - the full shots just went wherever they wanted to go.

I've gone back to all draw - even my wedges - and it's just easier to control. (If need be, I can get a fade off the tee box, but I don't like to try it off the turf.)

I know a mini-tour player who draws his 3W but fades everything else, but he does it for a living. It gives him one long-club he can work the other way.

For most players, "taking away half the course" works better.

For me, it just seems like part of the issue is the driver set up almost lends itself to a fade swing.  Having the ball just on the inside of my left foot with the driver makes me feel like I have to open up my body on the downswing to make contact, result is an out-to-in swing and fade/slice.  I've tried moving the ball back in my stance with mixed results at best.

On 12/12/2016 at 9:28 AM, GangGreen said:

Over the last few years I've been working on a more inside-to-out swing path with my instructor and, for the most part, it seems to be working with my irons with my now reworked swing being more of a draw with a hook for a miss.  It hasn't seemed to translate yet to the driver as my "better" shots tend to fade slightly and my misses end up being wicked slices.  It's something I still need to work on, I know, but just wondering if there are those out their that play their driver one way and their irons another and, if so, should I just go with it.   

I met Steven Bowditch last year and this is what he does. I know he had a rough year Pro-wise, but his reasoning was better control with the fade with the driver. I saw him launch a driver, over trees, 310 yards to 15 feet on a driveable dogleg par four.

On 12/13/2016 at 5:50 AM, GangGreen said:

For me, it just seems like part of the issue is the driver set up almost lends itself to a fade swing.  Having the ball just on the inside of my left foot with the driver makes me feel like I have to open up my body on the downswing to make contact, result is an out-to-in swing and fade/slice.  I've tried moving the ball back in my stance with mixed results at best.

Yeah don't do that, only going to make things worse longterm. You want to have a positive angle of attack for a driver.

I'd recommend keeping the ball forward (maybe even playing it more forward) and just aiming your body a little right.

Hitting up with the driver could be leading you to fade it. If it's a slice then it's more of a swing issue and most likely not something in the setup.

Anyway, the takeaway is this: for any swing, any ball struck before low point will be struck with a club traveling outward relative to the base line of the plane, and any ball struck after low point will be struck with a club traveling inward relative to the base line of the plane. Thus, for a base line oriented at the target, any downward angle of attack will result in a clubhead path to the right, and any struck upwards will result in a clubhead path to the left 

Note: This thread is 1163 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!