IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

7 months from yesterday...

20170320_100215.jpg.65e34e110f8977c6608a3d14eca569de.jpg

20170320_100246.jpg.7a91689e710c0c1119123f79cc8758fe.jpg

• Upvote 2

Jim Morgan

Driver: :callaway: GBB Epic Speed 10.5 deg Reg
Woods: 3W :callaway: Epic Flash 15 deg, Heavenwood:callaway:GBB 20 deg
4 Hybrid: :callaway:  Epic Flash 21 deg, 5 Hybird: :callaway: Apex 24 deg
Irons: :ping: G425 Graphite 6-SW, Wedges: :ping: Glide 58 deg
Putter: :bettinardi: Armlock  :aimpoint: Express
 :titleist: golf bag, Blue Tees RF

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Couple of new developments leaving me questionable about my participation as being an applicant but I've just taken a big bite to try to get my game up to snuff for being a legitimate candidate signing on again this year with my "club," for greens fees being included for the next year (weekend included this time, last year I just did the weekday membership so I'm trying to get a bunch of play time in!)

1. Playing with my Saturday group more and more now, and they keep track of my handicap.

2. Unfortunately for me, keeping my handicap is really hurting because the last 3-4 rounds I've blown donkey chunks. Sure it was winter golf (in the 30's for those rounds on PACKED bermuda). I'm at a 16T right now trending up. My last 3 rounds have been 94, 96, 95. Just terrible.

3. Putting in those rounds was beyond atrocious, but the good news is I've started breaking down my putting stroke and re-teaching myself as I did last year and it has already helped tremendously (it did last year, I was down to about 1.8 putts/hole if I'm remembering correctly). I try to break out my putter every day and putt at LEAST 20 balls, but trying to putt around 70-100 balls per day. My last round was a significant improvement but I played by myself so I can't apply that to my HC. 

4. Strangely, my driving has been stellar. All day, every day. 

5. Sadly, my instructor left the state a few weeks ago to take a job at another CC. I don't have anyone here I trust so I'm SOL. I need to contact him though and ask if he would recommend anyone in this area. That should be where I start.

6. With the daylight being out past 7:30pm I'm trying to get out after work and fit in 9 holes or some focused practice. Probably playing 2 balls more often this year. 

7. I starting my MBA in January while also working full time (evening MBA program) so this will likely affect how much time I can put towards golf this year. But I'm trying to work it out.

A lot going on! At the end of last season I FELT like a ~12 HC player although it was mainly playing on my own after work, so not real. Was about to break 80. Shot an 81 at my home course. Several 82's and 83's. Average was probably 84. I'm hoping to get back down into that range quickly. My driving is on point but the putting and approaches are garbage. Needs work.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Bag: :sunmountain: C130 Cart Bag Push Cart: :sunmountain: Micro Cart Sport

20 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

5. Sadly, my instructor left the state a few weeks ago to take a job at another CC. I don't have anyone here I trust so I'm SOL. I need to contact him though and ask if he would recommend anyone in this area. That should be where I start.

You need to check out Evolvr. They're online and can work some magic for a fraction of the cost of a normal coach.

• Upvote 2

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

4 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

You need to check out Evolvr. They're online and can work some magic for a fraction of the cost of a normal coach.

I will. Someone recommended them for putting stroke as well so I may look into that too.

Oddly enough I played 9 holes after work and shot 5 over (42 par 37) with two 3-putts and a penalty. My game is a mess, but at least it's a good mess at the moment lol. My putting was actually much better, I only had 1 bad putt. The others were from the greens having been punched yesterday evening. So the greens are a mess as well, not just me!

I'm hoping this isn't a fluke but I'm being reasonable. If it's not a fluke and my game is coming back quickly I may have a shot.

D: :tmade: R1 Stiff @ 10* 3W: :tmade: AeroBurner TP 15* 2H: :adams: Super 9031 18* 3-SW: :tmade: R9 Stiff P: :titleist: :scotty_cameron: Futura X7M 35"

Ball: Whatever. Something soft. Kirklands Signature are pretty schweeeet at the moment!

Handicap posting season is 10 days away for the Soggy Mitten.  Now begins the battle to keep the index under 10.0.  Of course, for some of the Candidates, this is not a real concern.  Those of us close to the cut line, however, understand a bad several weeks on the course can wreak havoc with our "cap".

Good luck to my fellow 8.0 to 12.0 cappers!  Play well ... and often!

• Upvote 3

Brian Kuehn

27 minutes ago, bkuehn1952 said:

Handicap posting season is 10 days away for the Soggy Mitten.  Now begins the battle to keep the index under 10.0.  Of course, for some of the Candidates, this is not a real concern.  Those of us close to the cut line, however, understand a bad several weeks on the course can wreak havoc with our "cap".

Good luck to my fellow 8.0 to 12.0 cappers!  Play well ... and often!

Yes, weather getting reeeally good! Excited for the season in general.. Am off to a good start.

• Upvote 1

Vishal S.

• Administrator

Not including @kpaulhus, I've also got 3 candidates so far for March.

@mchepp will submit his course Vlog when he can.

1. @Wanzo Post #31

2. @Pretzel Post #152

3. @phillyk Post 86

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

1 hour ago, mvmac said:

1. @Wanzo Post #31

2. @Pretzel Post #152

3. @phillyk Post 86

I'm probably a later pick for either side...but hoping to know what that side is in the next few weeks. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

3 hours ago, mvmac said:

1. @Wanzo Post #31

2. @Pretzel Post #152

3. @phillyk Post 86

This weekend has potential for the completion of the vLog. Crossing my fingers.

Michael

14 hours ago, kpaulhus said:

I'm probably a later pick for either side...but hoping to know what that side is in the next few weeks. 

But what if you move to an island in the middle of the Mississippi River?:-P

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

3 hours ago, boogielicious said:

If I willingly move to an island in the middle of the Mississippi River you can bet that salary would rival Trump's lol

• Upvote 1

Kyle Paulhus

He becomes his own team, and obviously, he's purple.

• Upvote 1

Just now, Golfingdad said:

He becomes his own team, and obviously, he's purple.

Haha, none of us would stand a chance.

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

That would make him a 'floater'.. in more ways than one.

Edited by GolfLug

Vishal S.

3 hours ago, GolfLug said:

That would make him a 'floater'.. in more ways than one.

Best of the responses! :dance:

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

I'm sad to say that I'm withdrawing myself from consideration for this. It was always going to be a bit of longshot anyway, but the wife and I decided to add a family vacation to the calendar at the end of the year.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Shot a 39 par 37 yesterday walking on a beautiful day. 

Who knows, may be doable! I can feel my game is coming back, and the putting is getting MUCH better! :banana:

• Upvote 2

Note: This thread is 2385 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!