IGNORED

The 2017 Newport Cup at Talamore Resort (Pinehurst, NC)

iacas
Note: This thread is 2358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

@RandallT A "Live Leaderboard" would also be cool !!! - Hint, Hint, Hint.

Just now, iacas said:

Gonna be tough for him to do that if he's playing.

My chapter uses golfgenius.com.  You can post your scores there as a scorecard during the round, and it will input that to the live leaderboard. There is also a analysis section for after the round.  I'm sure there are multiple other sites, but thought I'd throw this one out there.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 415
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
17 minutes ago, phillyk said:

My chapter uses golfgenius.com.  You can post your scores there as a scorecard during the round, and it will input that to the live leaderboard. There is also a analysis section for after the round.  I'm sure there are multiple other sites, but thought I'd throw this one out there.

Thanks, but I doubt it's worth the $300 minimum and the hassle of setting it up and using it. @mvmac and I will be tweeting about it.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Just spitballing here, but It probably wouldn't be that hard for all players to have the phone number of whoever might be interested in playing a role like randall last year and one guy from each foursome text him scores after each hole or few holes.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Just spitballing here, but It probably wouldn't be that hard for all players to have the phone number of whoever might be interested in playing a role like randall last year and one guy from each foursome text him scores after each hole or few holes.

Okay, I nominate all the Red Team to have to do that extra bit of hassle after every hole. :-)

• Upvote 1

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

32 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Just spitballing here

Scores could be entered by one player in each group which updates to a Google Live Leaderboard with Live Results of all rounds played and Point Totals of each round.
It also shows a recap of every match played and rounds in progress which anyone can view at anytime, anywhere and on any device.
Then simple snapshots could be uploaded, or better yet, a link could be embedded to view.

scoring.png

Johnny Rocket - Let's Rock and Roll and play some golf !!!

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

Scores could be entered by one player in each group which updates to a Google Live Leaderboard with Live Results of all rounds played and Point Totals of each round.
It also shows a recap of every match played and rounds in progress which anyone can view at anytime, anywhere and on any device.
Then simple snapshots could be uploaded, or better yet, a link could be embedded to view.

I'd prefer if the golfers who are there are just focused on playing and having a good time. Mike and I aren't even going to want to go around and update a live leaderboard. All you can do is keep playing your best anyway.

It's very simple keeping a mobile scorecard. Easily as writing on a scorecard.

Plus, a big bonus, points are calculated automatically when rounds are complete.
Results can also viewed or displayed in a clubhouse, or any device by anyone.

• Administrator
9 minutes ago, Club Rat said:

It's very simple keeping a mobile scorecard. Easily as writing on a scorecard.

I disagree it's just as easy, and John, please take the hint…

19 minutes ago, iacas said:

I'd prefer if the golfers who are there are just focused on playing and having a good time. Mike and I aren't even going to want to go around and update a live leaderboard. All you can do is keep playing your best anyway.

I agree. As a golfer I would not want to keep score twice. One which is easy and infrot of you. The second requires you to access your phone, access and app, process what you are seeing, type in the right number, click submit. All the while, you have a group that might be waiting on you, or the tee box might be open to hit. This would be very distracting, especially in a match that is tight. 

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

Throughout my last two years of high school, we had to use a program called "iWannamaker" for live scoring, and one person in each group was required to have a phone and input the scores for the whole group after each hole. 

It was such a pain that I began to conveniently not have a phone with me on the days of the golf tournaments. No offense meant to @Club Rat, because it is a great idea in theory and likely in a controlled environment, but it definitely gets to be a big enough hassle as to slow play down when you're out on the course. Your phone's brightness doesn't adjust properly, so you have to wait 10 seconds for it, or the page loads funny so you have to reload, or you fatfinger the wrong score and have to try and edit it, etc. (I don't want you to feel like I'm piling on or anything, I just wanted to provide my input from having used a similar system in the past. I wish the idea could work better though!)

If it was implemented with tablets, it might work better since then you could more easily input things, but then you have the issue of trying to keep all the tablets connected to the internet and charged (along with making sure whatever is generating the hotspots doesn't die). 

The only way I see live scoring implemented would be if GAME Golf wanted to really outdo themselves and set up some kind of tournament option for their Live device, and lend every player a GAME Golf Live to use for the rounds played in the Newport Cup. Seeing as that would likely be quite a bit of programming work for them, I don't picture it happening unless they wanted to use us as some sort of beta test for a user tournament feature they may want to add in the future.

That said, what I think might be a nice idea is to have a number of players post in the evenings about how the day's rounds went in either the Newport Cup thread or in a separate thread specifically for the player recaps. It would keep people updated at the end of the day with more details than the tweets alone would provide while balancing the desire for information with the pace of play and player focus concerns. 

What we should do is get lackeys standard bearers to follow each group. In addition to their standard bearing duties, they could update this thread or whatever program with our live scores. If you have kids, this would be a good way to get them to come with. And if those who don't make the final cut want to come along and see what the fuss of this event is all about, this would be the perfect way.

In all seriousness, it's probably not worth the effort to have more formal live scoring. The way it worked last time was probably actually best. It got people to come back and check on the thread fairly often, but also got them to the website itself. If you just have 100 people refreshing a live scoring link, it's not the same benefit for the sand trap.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

3 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

It was such a pain

It can be for players who walk to enter scores while playing, but not so much when riding in a cart.
The beauty is allowing a large audience to follow events in many manners, TV, PC, phones etc.
Guys at my club love to see results (mainly Skins) and the fun of trash talking, selfie's with cart girls, and make side bets while playing anyone in other groups.

GG offers live challenges for only one group, I believe. They would probably never develop a platform for a single event, yet a multi-round/multi-day scoring system.
Most sanctioned events have on course scorers sending scores to a scorekeeper at the clubhouse who the posts scores to a leaderboard (usually a big screen TV setup nearby)

Nowadays, everyone is on there phone constantly while playing.

• Administrator
2 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Could GameGolf Live be used for anything like this?  I just got one for Christmas, but haven't used it yet and not sure of all the features/possibilities 

No.

Particularly for alternate shot. Plus there are concessions, etc.

8 minutes ago, Denny Bang Bang said:

Could GameGolf Live be used for anything like this?

Several guys will most likely tag while playing. Kyle used his in 2015.
The only feature it would offer to viewers would be reviewing a round once it was posted, but nothing really in any tournament format.

For alternate shot, could the team just use one persons tags?

For example, if Club Rat and I were on a team playing alternate shot, we just tag my clubs the entire round... I hit driver (tag my driver), Club Rat hits his approach shot with his 7i (we tag my 7i).

I do see how it couldn't track holes won and lost, but someone tracking the GG Live data could post updates based on that?

Maybe texting is just as easy, just trying to brainstorm 

Edited by Denny Bang Bang

Note: This thread is 2358 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!