IGNORED

Bubba Watson Switching from Titleist Golf Ball to Volvik?

Note: This thread is 1318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I honestly don't know much about these balls other than the Volvik ball has more of a following on the LPGA and come in a bunch of color. Right now it seems like it's only a rumor, they'd have to come up with a lot of money for Bubba to switch.

http://www.pga.com/news/golf-buzz/bubba-watson-will-reportedly-switch-volvik-golf-ball

SEOUL, South Korea — Bubba Watson might be adding a pink golf ball to go with his pink driver — and a green ball for the Masters.

The JoongAng Daily in South Korea is reporting that Watson has agreed to a deal to use the Volvik golf ball starting next month. The Korean ball manufacturer mainly has been used on the LPGA Tour and is best known for golf balls it produces in a variety of colors. And that might be the perfect fit for the two-time Masters champion.

Watson for years has used a driver with a pink shaft and pink club head. He also wears different colored golf gloves. Shin Dong-hwan, president of Volvik USA, told the newspaper that Watson suggested using a pink golf ball for the final round of tournaments — and maybe even a green ball at the Masters.

Watson's agent, Jens Beck, called the report "unsubstantiated rumors" and declined further comment. Watson's deal with Titleist expires at the end of this year.

The JoongAng Daily said Volvik planned to announce the deal next week. According to the newspaper, the five-year agreement is worth about $1.2 million a year, plus stock options and a signing bonus.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• mvmac changed the title to Bubba Watson Switching from Titleist Golf Ball to Volvik?
  • Administrator
2 minutes ago, mvmac said:

Watson's agent, Jens Beck, called the report "unsubstantiated rumors" and declined further comment. Watson's deal with Titleist expires at the end of this year.

Color me skeptical. When pros typically are known to be switching at this time of year, they're usually a little softer in their denials. They'll say something like "we're always looking into new avenues" or basically issue a non-denial denial just for the sake of their current but expiring equipment deal.

I am skeptical as well, but seems pretty odd for the company to float this out there if it wasn't at least a discussion they are having. 

Bubba playing a pink ball wouldn't surprise me much at all.  But playing a green ball?  For the Masters?  The most vibrantly green golf course on the planet?  That seems pretty far-fetched.  Unless his goal is to (presumably) try and be the first person in the history of the PGA Tour to lose a ball in a fairway or on the putting surface. :-P

1 hour ago, shanksalot said:

that said Bubba contacted them.

That also makes the whole story seem unlikely. Pros will sometimes contact companies for little stuff like a training aid, software (Analyzr plug), or a putter grip, not usually something as big as a golf ball change. 

He could just use these, except I am not sure they are in the V1x's. I have 4 of them and they are all V1's.

Seems weird that a company executive would come out and say something so definitive. Maybe the whole story is a lie.

Titleist-ProV1-Limited-Edition-Pink-Golf

Considering the fact that Bubba Watson is so much against change that he was using his S59 irons all the way up until the S55's came out, I don't picture him switching from Titleist to Volvik. I've hit a Volvik ball before and it definitely feels different (and not in a good way, for me at least), which seems like something Bubba would absolutely hate since he appears to be so much against change.

20 minutes ago, Pretzel said:

Considering the fact that Bubba Watson is so much against change that he was using his S59 irons all the way up until the S55's came out, I don't picture him switching from Titleist to Volvik. I've hit a Volvik ball before and it definitely feels different (and not in a good way, for me at least), which seems like something Bubba would absolutely hate since he appears to be so much against change.

Depends on which Volvik, the S3 was not too bad and played similarly to top tier balls to me.

• 3 weeks later...
  • Administrator
On 12/14/2016 at 0:03 PM, iacas said:

Color me skeptical. When pros typically are known to be switching at this time of year, they're usually a little softer in their denials. They'll say something like "we're always looking into new avenues" or basically issue a non-denial denial just for the sake of their current but expiring equipment deal.

My skepticism was wrong.

http://www.golfdigest.com/story/bubba-watson-to-play-volvik-ball-in-2017

For now, however, the company is scrambling just to get him something other than white. Although Volvik is known for its colored golf balls, the S4 is only available in white. Volvik, however, had some pink S4s produced just for Watson and got them on the USGA conforming list. Watson also hopes to soon have the lime green available as well, saying that was his favorite.

Similar to baseball's free-agency period, I think we can now refer to the December/early January time as the golf's silly-season.

Could you imagine playing with a lime-green ball without all those spectators to find your ball?  Why not just go with camouflage?  :-\

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, NCGolfer said:

Could you imagine playing with a lime-green ball without all those spectators to find your ball?  Why not just go with camouflage?  :-\

Lime green is better than olive green, no? :-)

Note: This thread is 1318 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!