IGNORED

Getting Started in Disc Golf

iacas
Note: This thread is 1956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

• Administrator
5 minutes ago, Kloeshuman said:

The putter off the tee? I believe you, but why ? More control?

Yeah.

I've played putter-only rounds. You can throw it several hundred feet, and they're often some of the straightest fliers out there - you can put them on a line and an angle and they'll hold that line/angle pretty well.

Plus they teach you the most about your form.

@cipher will back me up on that.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

16 minutes ago, iacas said:

Yeah.

I've played putter-only rounds. You can throw it several hundred feet, and they're often some of the straightest fliers out there - you can put them on a line and an angle and they'll hold that line/angle pretty well.

Plus they teach you the most about your form.

@cipher will back me up on that.

Yep.  Also, distance in disc golf is not as dependent on the disc as in golf it can be on the club.  I can throw a putter within' roughly 50 feet of my longest driver.  Let's see @Shorty try and dispute that bogus claim!

15 minutes ago, Kloeshuman said:

I trust ya, I just have to get out and do it

You should indeed!  It is very fun once you learn to get a little power behind the throw.  

Nate

:pxg:(10.5) :benhogan:(4W):titleist:U500(3UI) :benhogan: Icon(4-PW) :edel:(52/58)

:odyssey:Putter :snell: MTB Black  

So I made it out this morning to the coarse by my house. Had fun but I really need to work on form. My question is keeping score? This coarse has the distance marked but not what par each hole is, and no score card of any kind. Keeping track on my phone would be easy but without knowing par how would I know where I stand? 

• Administrator
42 minutes ago, Kloeshuman said:

So I made it out this morning to the coarse by my house. Had fun but I really need to work on form. My question is keeping score? This coarse has the distance marked but not what par each hole is, and no score card of any kind. Keeping track on my phone would be easy but without knowing par how would I know where I stand? 

Call everything a par three. Most older courses are like that.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

• 2 months later...

I tried disc golf for the first time this past weekend. I had a great time. I did use the "driver" too much and got way off line a few times, I didn't know to use the putter and mid range discs for more accuracy. Next time I will try this out. I played a "par 3" course and got a 4 on nearly every hole, mostly because my drives were so far off course that I couldn't get a recovery close enough to save par. @iacas is right about putting though, once you are within 30 feet or so it is pretty easy to make. 

- Mark

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, Braivo said:

I tried disc golf for the first time this past weekend. I had a great time. I did use the "driver" too much and got way off line a few times, I didn't know to use the putter and mid range discs for more accuracy. Next time I will try this out. I played a "par 3" course and got a 4 on nearly every hole, mostly because my drives were so far off course that I couldn't get a recovery close enough to save par. @iacas is right about putting though, once you are within 30 feet or so it is pretty easy to make. 

Many disc golf courses are going to be all par three holes. Only the more modern ones with holes stretching over 400' tend to have "par 4s" and "par 5s".

I average far fewer putts (if you count putting as any time you're using a putter to try to make the shot) playing disc golf than golf, which puts even MORE of an emphasis on the long game in disc golf over having a good short game. :-)

• 4 months later...

There's a few courses at the Colleges here in the Ithaca area, and I believe they are all free. I thought about giving it a try. I saw a 4 disc starter set at Dick's recently and thought about giving it a try. 

What's in Shane's Bag?     

Ball: 2022 :callaway: Chrome Soft Triple Track Driver: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond 8° MCA Kai’li 70s FW: :callaway:Paradym Triple Diamond  H: :callaway: Apex Pro 21 20°I (3-PW) :callaway: Apex 21 UST Recoil 95 (3), Recoil 110 (4-PW). Wedges: :callaway: Jaws Raw 50°, 54°, 60° UST Recoil 110 Putter: :odyssey: Tri-Hot 5K Triple Wide 35”

• Administrator
18 minutes ago, onthehunt526 said:

There's a few courses at the Colleges here in the Ithaca area, and I believe they are all free. I thought about giving it a try. I saw a 4 disc starter set at Dick's recently and thought about giving it a try. 

You should. It's fun, and you can improve really quickly at first.

• 10 months later...

I am going to buy myself and Jacob one of the starter sets. I took Emma to the park over the weekend and saw some guys playing. I think it would be fun as alternative to paying to play at the course. And the whole family can go to the park and the wife and Emma can play on the playground while me and Jacob play disc golf. Kinda hard to pass up seeing that the starter sets are so cheap

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
2 hours ago, TN94z said:

I am going to buy myself and Jacob one of the starter sets. I took Emma to the park over the weekend and saw some guys playing. I think it would be fun as alternative to paying to play at the course. And the whole family can go to the park and the wife and Emma can play on the playground while me and Jacob play disc golf. Kinda hard to pass up seeing that the starter sets are so cheap

I really like the MVP discs, and you can get a starter set of them in two different plastics: https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/accessories/disc-golf-starter-set/. The overmold makes them very durable.

1 hour ago, iacas said:

I really like the MVP discs, and you can get a starter set of them in two different plastics: https://mvpdiscsports.com/products/accessories/disc-golf-starter-set/. The overmold makes them very durable.

I'm debating on just going to Dick's to pick up the sets instead. Jacob is out of school this week and it would be a great time to get some rounds in during the holidays. We don't have prime anymore, so ordering from Amazon says it would be the 30th before receiving them.

Bryan A
"Your desire to change must be greater than your desire to stay the same"

• Administrator
30 minutes ago, TN94z said:

I'm debating on just going to Dick's to pick up the sets instead. Jacob is out of school this week and it would be a great time to get some rounds in during the holidays. We don't have prime anymore, so ordering from Amazon says it would be the 30th before receiving them.

That too. Just don't get the DX versions or the cheaper ones. They wear out quickly, and you'll be hitting a lot of trees and paths early on.

Note: This thread is 1956 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!