IGNORED

GX-7: A Reputable Outfit?

Note: This thread is 1852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

So-This is just a shorter driver with more loft or a longer 5-wood with about the same loft.

Is that right?-If so then what exactly makes this club better than a driver @Low Fades or @GX7 X-Metal? Or are you just relying on the vague way you can define better?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@BradL  Thanks Brad.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

1 hour ago, Phil McGleno said:

Or are you just relying on the vague way you can define better?

I think it's more of that. For most avid golfers your standard driver is going to go farther. It seems like a club for golfers that struggle with hitting drivers, like an easy to hit 2-wood.

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

45 minutes ago, mvmac said:

I think it's more of that. For most avid golfers your standard driver is going to go farther. It seems like a club for golfers that struggle with hitting drivers, like an easy to hit 2-wood.

So it is not the loft of a 5W?-More like 13-14 degs?

"The expert golfer has maximum time to make minimal compensations. The poorer player has minimal time to make maximum compensations." - And no, I'm not Mac. Please do not PM me about it. I just think he is a crazy MFer and we could all use a little more crazy sometimes.

2 hours ago, Phil McGleno said:

So-This is just a shorter driver with more loft or a longer 5-wood with about the same loft.

Is that right?-If so then what exactly makes this club better than a driver @Low Fades or @GX7 X-Metal? Or are you just relying on the vague way you can define better?

It is the same loft as a 3 wood only with a bigger head. 

They claim it's easier to hit off a fairway because it hits more like a 7 iron.  

I found it is very difficult to hit from a fairway because of the larger than  3 wood head.  Like trying to hit your driver off the fairway. It doesn't work. 

The small 7 ironish front blade if you can call it that digs into the ground if you do hit it fairly well and you sure just can't sweep the grass like you do with a 3,5 or 7 iron wood or your hybrid. 

It is a small headed driver for people with slower club head speeds. 

Just my opinion after using it for two rounds and a lot of range balls. 

Poor tinny sound even when you just tap the bottom with a fingernail.   Worse when you really hit it in the high 80's and mid 90''s club head speed. 

I did have sever all drivers over 210 but too many downsides for a few good distance dives. 

awhile back I tried the TM SLDR Mini. Their marketing at the time was a driver that you can hit from the fairway. It was just OK. I later sold it on ebay, or Craig's list, I don't really remember.I keep going back to the older, smaller drivers. R-7, older Big Bertha, Orlimar, even Persimmons and Laminated Woods. 

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

@Phil McGleno Full disclosure: I actually helped design and test the GX-7 W/Jeff Halstead a former Engineer at Adams that works w/us ( he's designed clubs that have made the Golf Digest hot list).

It's a 14 degree-  43' driver w/a slighter smaller head and its built to find a lot more fairways (eliminate the big misses) w/very solid driver distance off the tee, Its designed for the amateur golfer, not a pro and its not for everyone- its for golfers that struggle off the tee-- The golfers we tested, hit it right out there with and sometimes past, their traditional big-headed lower lofted drivers, esp when you average/include their big misses---Don't compare your best drive vs best drive,  as this is not a long drive contest, the key its the average of all drives (your going to get a lot more roll in the fairway compared to rough/trees)  Trackman results ( w/test golfers) showed the GX-7 had a much smaller dispersion pattern when compared to their traditional drivers.  A 45 inch- 10 degree driver will have much larger dispersion patterns, esp in the misses and we proved this out w/trackman.  We did extensive testing w/ Rob Rashell at TPC Scottsdale.  Most of the golfers ( not everyone) tested hit it very very straight and long w/great results overall. Several golfers commented on how the slightly shorter driver felt more natural to them and easier to control. 

I recently joined the forum to answer questions on the club- I love the game as much as anyone and its fun to be apart of this forum. I would encourage anyone to give it a test drive and it you are having issues hitting it,  reach out, because theres a good chance the shaft is not fitting you properly, but the overall  amateur-friendly design is something we are really excited about it. 

29 minutes ago, Low Fades said:

@Phil McGleno Full disclosure: I actually helped design and test the GX-7 W/Jeff Halstead a former Engineer at Adams that works w/us ( he's designed clubs that have made the Golf Digest hot list).

It's a 14 degree-  43' driver w/a slighter smaller head and its built to find a lot more fairways (eliminate the big misses) w/very solid driver distance off the tee, Its designed for the amateur golfer, not a pro and its not for everyone- its for golfers that struggle off the tee-- The golfers we tested, hit it right out there with and sometimes past, their traditional big-headed lower lofted drivers, esp when you average/include their big misses---Don't compare your best drive vs best drive,  as this is not a long drive contest, the key its the average of all drives (your going to get a lot more roll in the fairway compared to rough/trees)  Trackman results ( w/test golfers) showed the GX-7 had a much smaller dispersion pattern when compared to their traditional drivers.  A 45 inch- 10 degree driver will have much larger dispersion patterns, esp in the misses and we proved this out w/trackman.  We did extensive testing w/ Rob Rashell at TPC Scottsdale.  Most of the golfers ( not everyone) tested hit it very very straight and long w/great results overall. Several golfers commented on how the slightly shorter driver felt more natural to them and easier to control. 

I recently joined the forum to answer questions on the club- I love the game as much as anyone and its fun to be apart of this forum. I would encourage anyone to give it a test drive and it you are having issues hitting it,  reach out, because theres a good chance the shaft is not fitting you properly, but the overall  amateur-friendly design is something we are really excited about it. 

Phil, I have played a few rounds with the GX7, as a driver I found it to be acceptable except for the very tinny sound when struck with an 85-93 mph club head speed as measured with my Swing Caddie.  

My problem is not being able to hit it off the fairway.  I have no trouble hitting my Cleveland Black fairway metals or hybrid clean high longand straight. 

I have yet to be able to hit this club well off the fairway. 

I have tried using the method of sweeping the grass like with a fairway metal but don't get the ball in the air very well and best shot of 150 with roll out. 

I tried hitting it like my 7 iron with worse results. 

Hopefully you can give me some suggestions so I don't have to return the club. 

I am glad you mentioned Adams Golf because I can hit my tightlies 200 plus off the fairway without any problem so I know that I must not be using the proper technique for the GX7. 

Any suggestions? 

@BradL

@BradL Its hard to tell what the issue is w/out seeing your swing- What is the ball doing? @Blackjack Don is hitting it perfect off the turf, maybe he can weigh-in. I also think you need to speed up your swing the loft is lower than a hybrid and it will take more speed to get it in the air. 

Edited by Low Fades

6 minutes ago, Low Fades said:

@BradL Its hard to tell what the issue is w/out seeing your swing- What is the ball doing? @Blackjack Don is hitting it perfect off the turf, maybe he can weigh-in. I also think you need to speed up your swing the loft is lower than a hybrid and it will take more speed to get it in the air. 

Theven loft is the same as my tightlies 3 wood which I used today and hit it perfect, 90% of the time so I don't think it is a swing speed problem.  

Maybe the strange front face edge is causing me to try and change my swing.  

Our fairways in Arizona are cut so short right now you have to lightly sweep the turf or you take a divot witch is not good if behind the ball. 

Tomorrow I will work on this at my indoor driving net off of astro turf. 

Any other suggestions will be appreciated. 

I don't want to go to my pro at Golf Tech as it cost about  $60 a half hour for that. 

I will give it a little more time than the two rounds and a few buckets of balls before I give up.  

Thanks 

Interesting to read about all the different opinions regarding the GX7. I ordered mine on Sunday.

However, as I am in Australia it will take a little bit longer to arrive.

Will definitely post my opinion of the club once I have tried it out a couple of times. 

On 1/2/2017 at 7:46 PM, Low Fades said:

That is not exactly what Don said. He was hitting off mats with a low trajectory line drives, but was satisfied with 200 yards.(so far) He promises to let us know how it performs on the course.

"James"

Today I finished my 5th round since getting my GX7.

So far I have had mixed feelings about this club because my initial tests and time on the range had in my opinion more cons than pros for me.

I played a round yesterday just using my GX7 as my driver and as a fairway metal or to replace my hybrid.  Had some good tee shots but nothing as good as the claims for this club.  Maybe my club head speed is too fast for this too big to be a 3 wood and too small to be a driver.  I think for senior golfer with less than mid 80's club head speed it might be the ticket. 

I think the larger than a 3 wood head and smaller than a driver head makes it difficult to figure out the ideal tee height.  In addition my opinion for what it is worth is the same reason you can't hit it off the fairway.  Ever try hitting your driver off the fairway.  Same feeling with this club.

In todays round I used only the GX7 for my drives and attempted to use as a replacement for my fairway metal and hybrid.  Bad idea and frustrating.  Because of fairway shots being low, weak and not on the same line twice I played my worst 9 holes in my life.  Shot a 57 on the front and even though I never 3 putted any hole.  All of my group wanted to know what was going on with my game.  Two of my foursome tried the club off the tee and the fairway with not much better results.  Not one of my group could hit it as a fairway metal.  One guy is a 12 handicap.

On the back 9 I switched back to my Callaway XR 10 1/2 driver, got long and straight/drawing drives, used my Cleveland Black 5 wood and my 56 degree was on a 485 yard par 5 on in regulation and took a birdie.  Several more pars on the par 4's and shot a 43 going back to my old stuff.

I didn't get what I was looking for more straight balls, using one club to replace several so I could add a few more long irons and wedges to get to my 14 clubs.

I am not a person who ever loses my temper playing golf, but today I was so frustrated that I felt like throwing this thing in the lake near a par three, but my group said jokingly said I would probably miss the lake to the right anyhow.

Hopefully I will be able to get my money back as per the 30 money back guarantee.  If they are like Revolution Golf it should be easy.

If I have a problem I will let everyone know.  If they honor the guarantee I will post that also.

Hope others have a better result than I did.

On ‎12‎/‎17‎/‎2016 at 10:28 AM, Blackjack Don said:

I saw a commercial for a new kind of club, the GX-7.  (warning: autoplay) I checked it out, and liked the theory behind it--and the 100% moneyback guarantee. If it doesn't work for me, I'll can return it. Thought it was worth giving it a shot. 

They posted on their website last week the club would be shipped the week of the 12th and we'd be notified when it shipped. They dinged my credit card right away. Yesterday I emailed them about the shipping date--this has been removed from the website--and they have not responded...at all.

Is this a reputable outfit? Anybody else in my boat?

Blackjack Don, I had the similar concerns you did about this company, saw some bad reviews about Golf Tailor who is selling everything from video's to golf clubs and training aides.

If you or anyone else reads my reviews you will see that as far as the GX-7 club goes I bought it tried it and sent it back today.

All of my dealings with the Customer Support team is handled quickly and professionally.

Today I wanted to purchase the video's on the square to square method but didn't want to get some monthly charge, so they said they have fixed that and sent me a new link.

I will know in a few days how good they are on returning my money on the GX-7.  They said I will get a full refund less their shipping cost.  I know it only cost me $14.70 for shipping USPS priority with $200.00 insurance on the club, so if they hit me with some cost higher than that I won't have the positive feeling I have so far.

BradL

You've got to hand it to them for the marketing efforts. Re-packaging old ideas, combined with current ideas, will appeal to a lot of folks seeking the latest, magical bullet to fix their problems or flaws. As mentioned previously, the SLDR Mini, Stan Thompson Ginty, and even the common head sizes of past (pre 200cc) era's. Of course, new tech, terminology plays a part (MOI,COR,CG).  An old Real Estate (and other) motivational speaker used to say
"Sell the sizzle, not the steak".  Hitting driver off the turf was common place not so long ago. Not quite so easy these days, with all the adjustment knobs, holes in sole plate and the like.  BUT, if it works...why not?

"James"

I hardly said I was hitting it perfectly at any point. I haven't played a round yet--it's a bit chilly right now--but hitting off the mat has been less than stellar. My swing speed according to Zepp is in the mid-70's while my G30 driver is close to 90, more or less. Perhaps the shaft being a senior versus my stiff driver is the cause for this and other problems, too.

The ball simply stays way too low. I can't get the ball more than four feet off the ground for any significant yardage. I'm going to keep working with it for awhile longer, but I feel this will be a failed experiment for me. Sadly. I too was hoping to use it for several different clubs. Now, I don't know what it is.

Wayne

@Blackjack Don  Got it. I I would look at the shaft and also the club head speed is way to slow, compared to the driver. I would speed up your swing as fast as your driver. The gx-7 will shine off the tee when you swing it like a driver.  A slower swing speed off of the turf will forsure go lower, because there is not enough speed to get the ball in the air.  Keep at it

45 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

I hardly said I was hitting it perfectly at any point. I haven't played a round yet--it's a bit chilly right now--but hitting off the mat has been less than stellar. My swing speed according to Zepp is in the mid-70's while my G30 driver is close to 90, more or less. Perhaps the shaft being a senior versus my stiff driver is the cause for this and other problems, too.

The ball simply stays way too low. I can't get the ball more than four feet off the ground for any significant yardage. I'm going to keep working with it for awhile longer, but I feel this will be a failed experiment for me. Sadly. I too was hoping to use it for several different clubs. Now, I don't know what it is.

That's sort of what I was afraid of. I am surprized however that with 14 deg of loft one would have this problem, but you are not the first to experience it. I also had troubles with the TM SLDR mini, realizing that it was more likely me, but that being the case, it did not occur with other drivers. Maybe after working with it for a bit longer, you will find the best way for it to work for you. I am still contemplating the offering by Tour Edge. Thanks  for your input

1 minute ago, Low Fades said:

@Blackjack Don  Got it. I I would look at the shaft and also the club head speed is way to slow, compared to the driver. I would speed up your swing as fast as your driver. The gx-7 will shine off the tee when you swing it like a driver.  A slower swing speed off of the turf will forsure go lower, because there is not enough speed to get the ball in the air.  Keep at it

Now I am confused. Isn't one of the selling points is that it is designed for golfers with slower swing speeds? I have not gone back to the infomercial and may be thinking of another product. If a golfer has to swing faster than his normal speed, all other things being equal, this might not be the way to go. On the other hand, shorter shaft length usually results in more control. I am not bashing the product, only trying to understand and decide if it is for me. 

"James"

Note: This thread is 1852 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!