Sign in to follow this  
Bahlahkay

Noob question. New 52 degree is shorter than my old 60 degree

Note: This thread is 966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

4 posts / 971 viewsLast Reply

image.jpg

I got a new 52 degree wedge and I noticed that it's shaft is smaller than my 60 degree wedge that I've been having for awhile.

my 52 degree length feels absolutely fantastic and I have a lot more control with it over my 60 degree (which I realize now why I've been choking up on it so hard)

how much length should I cut off my 60 degree? I'd say my 60 is just shy of an inch longer than my 52

Edited by Bahlahkay
Picture

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

11 hours ago, Bahlahkay said:

image.jpg

I got a new 52 degree wedge and I noticed that it's shaft is smaller than my 60 degree wedge that I've been having for awhile.

my 52 degree length feels absolutely fantastic and I have a lot more control with it over my 60 degree (which I realize now why I've been choking up on it so hard)

how much length should I cut off my 60 degree? I'd say my 60 is just shy of an inch longer than my 52

The Titleist site shows the 60 degree wedges being 0.5" shorter than their 52. How long it your 52?

http://www.titleist.com/golf-clubs/wedges/sm6

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I assume both Titleist wedges?  My TM ATV wedges vary 1/4"-1/2" in length.  And I like a heavier fit 120+ shaft and D3-D5 or so swing weight.  Does the swing weight match the specs?

Edited by Hatchman

Either your 52* is shorter than standard or your 60* has been extended.  If your 52* was purchased new, it's almost certainly standard length.  If it's a used club (but "new" to you), check the length to make sure it hasn't been cut down.  I know you mentioned you like the feel of the length, but before you cut down your 60* it's a good idea to double-check. Here is how to measure:

club measuring.jpg

Wedges are often stepped down in 1/4" increments.  If your GW is 35.5", the SW would be 35.25" and your LW would be 35"

Some players like their wedges to be the same length, so you could cut it down to match.

Remember, when you cut down your 60* it will decrease the swingweight.  If it's an inch longer than the 52* and you cut it down to match it will decrease the swingweight by 6 points.  If you cut it down 1.5" and make it standard length it will make it 9 points lighter than it is now.  That's a lot, but it's probably on the heavy side now because it's so long, but keep that in mind...you don't want your LW to feel too light.

Note: This thread is 966 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!