IGNORED

"5 Minutes Daily" Practice Challenge January 2017

iacas
Note: This thread is 2610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I putted in doors today. We had a cold front blow in and it was pretty chilly and windy so I opted to stay indoors.  I worked on distance contol.  I would putt a ball down my putting green and try to get the next ball as close to it without going past it.  I would do this with 10 balls or until one went past one.

20 min Alt Sklz and 7 iron. Brush, then y, on to hinge and finally full swing inside out. Full 7 iron is still somewhat flaky in terms of contact with ground

whereas with the driver, even though I had some problems getting to 13 good inside out swings, I tend not to whiff like I do with 7 iron. With 7 iron often feel like I am swung out before I turn

the driver may be bottoming out too much but certainly feels more inside out

finally, bump to front and hold back to the target as long as I can seems like it helps promote inside out swing

Last day of vacation. Played 2 1/2 rounds today. Shot 95 (51/44), 87 (45/42), and a 43. Drives were spectacular. Irons sucked until the 16th in the first round and then slowly got better and better. By the middle of the second round, I was in a nice groove. Chipping is getting better but I still need to get closer and do it more consistently.

I tracked my putt distances for the first 36 holes. My putting from 6-25 feet is beyond horrible -- only made 1/24 of those. I only 3 putted twice from 25' or less and had (mostly) tap-ins after anything in the 6'-15' range. Frustrating, but also encouraging...lots of strokes to be had with a little improvement. 

• Upvote 1

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

In between sets of my strength workout today, I hit 10 balls into the net (half swings, focused on tempo and steady head).  Also added some golf specific core exercises to my core workout.

1/04 - grip, stance (with awkward lies...ball below feet, etc), slow takeaways, slow swing with focus this morning on in-line impact position w/wedge

Driver: :callaway: Rogue ST  /  Woods: :tmade: Stealth 5W / Hybrid: :tmade: Stealth 25* / Irons: :ping: i500’s /  Wedges: :edel: 54*, 58*; Putter: :scotty_cameron: Futura 5  Ball: image.png Vero X1

-Jonny

Hey everybody... @RandallT somehow managed to guilt me into this for January, so... here I am.  

Now, I know I missed posting the first few days, but... I spent 22+ hours driving over the weekend to go visit family in New Jersey and then get back to Charlotte for the week to begin, so... I wasn't exactly 'connected' during that time.  

That said... I'll do my best to post here every day for the rest of the month.  

1/3/2017 - I did a little reading from LSW yesterday during some down time and I worked on my grip for about 5 minutes as well.  I've been having issues hitting a 3 wood for quite awhile now, so... I'm going to be spending a lot of time focusing on that during this month.  

1/4/2017 - I will be going to the club this afternoon with my son (16) and daughters (9 & 11) to hit some balls at the range and then we'll be playing a 9 hole scramble format with each other afterwards.  My focus on the range will be the 3 wood while the focus on the course will be a slow takeaway.  I feel like when I'm slower with my takeaway, my contact is more consistent.  

For the sake of transparency... I will be flying to Orlando for work tomorrow through Sunday, and I'll have zero ability to take a club with me, so... I'll need some tips or drills to do in my hotel room during my down time.  If anybody's got anything they use to work on without a club... I'm all ears.  

Again, sorry for the late join.  I'm not here for an award... just to try and get myself into form before heading into the tournament season beginning February 4th.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

1/4: I actually played a round today, mainly because @Fairway_CY guilted me into it :-P. Welcome to him by the way!

Shot 90 on a par 71, but was proud that I was able bring the recent lesson breakthroughs to the course. I lost NO balls. Drives were all fairly playable. Nothing too long, but I was getting good backswings, flat left wrist, and I could feel the club dropping down somewhat and coming in shallower.

So no misses from the tee is a big breakthrough- even if the swings from the fairway and rough could use work. Only 3 GIR, but a total of 16 nGIR- so I was advancing the ball decent. What killed me was scoring around the greens. Very rusty. Duffed some chips, three putted way too much. But I'll take the round as a victory, as in the past I've had trouble bringing the work on the range to the course.

Before the round, I hit a wide variety of clubs on the range- focusing solely on the backswing, flat left wrist. 

A bit chilly and breezy today (with about 5 holes in the rain), but that's likely it for a while on the course. I can probably sneak to the range here and there though. Good to get out!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1/4 - Mirror work at the gym focusing on my new drill.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Spent some time practicing setup. Arms hang straight down, head and spine tilt match with a little right tilt, eyes straight to the ball. 

Matt          My Swing

:ping: G425 Max Driver

Sub 70 3 wood, 3 hybrid and 5-p 639CB

Edison wedges 51, 55, 59

Sub 70 004 Mallet

Long Iron practice this afternoon !!! Im practicing al the second shots at my home course on the back of the range. Excluding par 3's and short par 4's. Basically gonna practice the shot shapes needed to hit those greens. This is a tip my buddy offered up and im gonna try it. Hit Em Good Yall !!

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

3 hours ago, RandallT said:

1/4: I actually played a round today, mainly because @Fairway_CY guilted me into it :-P. Welcome to him by the way!

Shot 90 on a par 71, but was proud that I was able bring the recent lesson breakthroughs to the course. I lost NO balls. Drives were all fairly playable. Nothing too long, but I was getting good backswings, flat left wrist, and I could feel the club dropping down somewhat and coming in shallower.

So no misses from the tee is a big breakthrough- even if the swings from the fairway and rough could use work. Only 3 GIR, but a total of 16 nGIR- so I was advancing the ball decent. What killed me was scoring around the greens. Very rusty. Duffed some chips, three putted way too much. But I'll take the round as a victory, as in the past I've had trouble bringing the work on the range to the course.

Before the round, I hit a wide variety of clubs on the range- focusing solely on the backswing, flat left wrist. 

A bit chilly and breezy today (with about 5 holes in the rain), but that's likely it for a while on the course. I can probably sneak to the range here and there though. Good to get out!

Haha!  Nice.  Good round there man!  

Got the kids out for a 9 hole scramble.  My son struggled pretty mightily for most of the round.  My daughters, who have now been out on a course a grand total of 2 times, hit some solid shots that they managed to advance 50-75 yards at times.  

I tried to work on tempo (especially with my backswing), but I felt rushed with the kids around and didn't pay attention to what I needed to.  

We used my tee shot on most holes (I think we used a few from my daughters on the 3rd, 7th and 9th holes)... and I was hitting the ball fairly well from the tee.  I found the green on both par 3's (which were both playing right at about 165 yards).  We only had a single decent birdie attempt which we couldn't convert.  

Now... I likely won't get a club in my hands again until Tuesday of next week, at the earliest... so, I'll have to find other things to work on in the hotel room.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

1/4: Putting practice in the hallway, 4-6 foot putts. Just focused on setting up properly and hitting my line.

9 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

If anybody's got anything they use to work on without a club... I'm all ears.

Welcome to the club! Lots of stuff you can do without a club. Two of my favorites...

The "Wall Drill": https://thesandtrap.com/blogs/entry/40-lack-of-flexibility-and-the-wall-drill/  ...and this drill from Dave and Erik on YouTube: 

• Upvote 2

Jake
"If you need to carry a water hazard, take one extra club or two extra balls." - Unknown (to me)

My Swing | Course Vlogs | Favorite Post | Roamin' for life. (MCATDT)

20 min alt Sklz swing trainer and 7 iron. Work on inside out swing. Start with arms, then y, L and finally full swings. Still whiff on full swings occasionally. 

Next move to Sklz and driver. Much more controlled. Feels better although I am beginning to doubt floor brush (Should I be brushing the floor with a driver?) and I seem to skimping on follow through when I swing 70% of strength. Finally, no clue how to use legs to "push off" for power

Can't wait to practice with real balls Saturday at the range

Note: This thread is 2610 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!