Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
Bahlahkay

Golf ball exploded into 100 pieces. What's the ruling

Note: This thread is 958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 posts / 1901 viewsLast Reply

Recommended Posts

My friend cranked one dead center into a tree and we spent a good 5 minutes looking for it until we noticed all these little white pieces on the ground at the trees base haha.

whats the ruling?

Does he get a penalty?

Where does he drop from?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Want to hide this ad? Register for free today!

Can he identify part of the ball?  I see fragments from mowers running over golf balls, so the pieces might not be his ball, so sounds like a lost ball unless he can identify it.

Return to point of previous stroke, play from there.  Previous stroke counts, and add one penalty stroke.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

23 minutes ago, Bahlahkay said:

My friend cranked one dead center into a tree and we spent a good 5 minutes looking for it until we noticed all these little white pieces on the ground at the trees base haha.

whats the ruling?

https://www.usga.org/RulesFAQ/rules_answer.asp?FAQidx=17&Rule=5

Quote

Rule 5-3 - Ball Breaks into Pieces

Q.Josh played a stroke from the teeing ground and the ball broke into pieces. What must he do?

A.Josh must cancel and replay the stroke from the teeing ground.

http://www.usga.org/rules/rules-and-decisions.html#!rule-05,5-3

Quote

If a ball breaks into pieces as a result of a stroke, the stroke is canceled and the player must play a ball, without penalty, as nearly as possible at the spot from which the original ball was played (see Rule 20-5).

This assumes it's his ball, of course. If it's lost, then @Missouri Swede has it right.

I will say I've never heard of a ball (not the exploding type prank balls) exploding into a ton of pieces.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

36 minutes ago, Missouri Swede said:

Can he identify part of the ball?  I see fragments from mowers running over golf balls, so the pieces might not be his ball, so sounds like a lost ball unless he can identify it.

Return to point of previous stroke, play from there.  Previous stroke counts, and add one penalty stroke.

He was using a wood and It was like 30 yards in front of us. Tree standing by it self with open area around it.  I mean he hit the dead freaking center of it to where it couldn't bounce off into another direction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

If it broke into 100 pieces you must find all 100 and put them together. Then he must identify the ball. If it is indeed his ball you must tape it together and drop two club lengths from the tree no closer to the hole. No penalty. Just kidding of course. I wanted to put some levity into this thread. 

1 hour ago, Groucho Valentine said:

Ive seen a ball crack and split as a result of a stroke, but never explode... weird. 

 I have only it was the old exploding ball trick where the ball explodes into a cloud of white powder. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, shanksalot said:

If it broke into 100 pieces you must find all 100 and put them together. Then he must identify the ball. If it is indeed his ball you must tape it together and drop two club lengths from the tree no closer to the hole. No penalty. Just kidding of course. I wanted to put some levity into this thread. 

 I have only it was the old exploding ball trick where the ball explodes into a cloud of white powder. 

What type of tape? USGA approved, or just regular duct tape? :-P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

4 hours ago, woodzie264 said:

hahaha - I love this forum :content:

 

4 hours ago, Papa Steve 55 said:

Play the biggest piece.

The rule used to read that you played your next stroke after a drop at the point where the largest piece ended up.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

17 minutes ago, Fourputt said:

The rule used to read that you played your next stroke after a drop at the point where the largest piece ended up.  

When was it changed?

That rule would be amazing, if only for the fun it would provoke if a tournament player called a rules official over to determine which piece of his ball was larger.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

1 hour ago, Hardspoon said:

When was it changed?

That rule would be amazing, if only for the fun it would provoke if a tournament player called a rules official over to determine which piece of his ball was larger.

Not certain exactly when it was changed, but this is from the 1899 version for the R&A:

Quote

34.  If a ball split into separate pieces, another ball may be put down where the largest portion lies, or if two pieces are apparently of equal size, it may be put where either piece lies, at the option of the player

In the 1925 version:

Quote

If a ball split into separate pieces, another ball may be dropped where any piece lies.

The rule was dropped between 1925 and 1933.  1933 version is similar to today:

Quote

Ball Unfit for Play 
If a ball be so damaged as to be unfit for play, the player may change it on intimating to his opponent his intention to do so.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, Fourputt said:

Not certain exactly when it was changed, but this is from the 1899 version for the R&A:

In the 1925 version:

The rule was dropped between 1925 and 1933.  1933 version is similar to today:

 

I'd imagine this was a much more common issue back in the '30s. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

9 hours ago, jamo said:

I'd imagine this was a much more common issue back in the '30s. 

I've see a lot of cheap 2 piece balls broken into pieces when played in colder weather.  They are mostly just a plastic core with a plastic cover, and they can become brittle at temps below 45°.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/29/2016 at 7:18 AM, jamo said:

I'd imagine this was a much more common issue back in the '30s. 

yah, just can't trust those gutta percha or featheries.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 12/29/2016 at 10:18 AM, jamo said:

I'd imagine this was a much more common issue back in the '30s. 

 

On 12/29/2016 at 7:25 PM, Fourputt said:

I've see a lot of cheap 2 piece balls broken into pieces when played in colder weather.  They are mostly just a plastic core with a plastic cover, and they can become brittle at temps below 45°.

My thoughts exactly! The same phenomenon came back into play when the "modern" two and three piece balls were introduced. My brother had one split in half on him on a tee shot, and either half went whizzing off in opposite directions! We managed to find one half of the ball, which was just a solid bluish core with a cover around it. Doesn't happen very much nowdays, but I'm sure it still does occasionally. And it wasn't cold, it was mid-Summer!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Note: This thread is 958 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.
Note: Your post will require moderator approval before it will be visible.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Sign in to follow this  



×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Welcome to TST! Signing up is free, and you'll see fewer ads and can talk with fellow golf enthusiasts! By using TST, you agree to our Terms of Use, our Privacy Policy, and our Guidelines.

The popup will be closed in 10 seconds...