IGNORED

Ever Been Hit by a Golf Ball?

Wanzo

I have been hit with a golf ball one time, and it was by myself.  I had a shot about 10yds back from a little skinny tree (no thicker than my fist), and told my buddy there is no way I'm hitting this tree... I swing, the ball hits the tree perfectly so that it flies directly back at me, hits me in the face, breaking my glasses.  I imagine the odds of it were like getting a hole in one, which I've never done.  Go figure

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

On 1/3/2017 at 6:20 AM, Jeremie Boop said:

Yep, couple of times. Once just barely avoided serious injury because the ball came down on the bill of my hat which deflected most of it's velocity. It really was my fault, I had walked off the side of the green and stopped to write down my score. The guy was pretty far back and I didn't expect him to be able to reach where I was. He yelled "fore" and came up to apologize right away. I let him know it was ok, that it was my fault for standing there.

The second time, some dumbass bounce a shot off a golf cart and it hit me straight in the mouth.

Ok, it was me, I hit myself in the mouth by bouncing the ball off the cart.... Like I said, some dumbass !

I did the same thing with a tree once. I knew it was a risky shot but I forgot to consider ricochet. I learned my lesson.

I use old Taylor Made clubs from eBay and golf shops.

It's Irish tour legend: Rick O'Shea!

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

This talk about hitting yourself with the ball reminded me of when I did that. I was hitting a fairway wood and topped it really bad. We were looking for where it went when it came down and hit me right on top of my head.   My playing partner couldn't stop laughing and still reminds me of it to this day.

Doug

• 4 weeks later...

At least three times now errant tee shots have almost hit me. They close in fast with some crazy unpredictable spin and bounce. If you stare too long then you're not sure which way to duck..  Nobody seems to yell "fore". Maybe they're embarrassed? 

I've came real close to being hit by the people behind us before and people on the other side of the fwy on a few holes back. I've hit a ball and the people didn't wanna go on they jus wanted to watch me hit and it landed on top of there cart. had a friend's uncle who thought it be funny to hit his golf ball into our cart from 50ft away. so i hit one right back at em for it.

WITB:
Taylormade M2 - 10.5º 
Taylormade M2 - 3w 15º
Callaway - Apex CF16 9i-3i
Vokey - 46º F Grind
Taylormade MG - 54º, 60º   
Scotty Cameron - Newport M1  - 4.5º
Taylormade - TP5X #7

• 5 years later...

Yes I had a time I was playing with a room mate he hit one in the cornfield, one to the right, in the woods, he took a 3rd shot off the tee. It went off the toe I was in the cart beside him, it hit me in the temple and I passed out and sustained, a tbi (Tramatic brain injury) fractured, My zygoma bone on my, scull and 3 months later I started noticing paranoia, anxiety and spurs of anger, I was psychiatric placed for months and have never been the same, since. But I still golf ️  I love it too much to let that make me stop ️. Cheers. Mike

Was on green marking my ball when a guy in greenside bunker shanked his sand shot.  Hit me in forehead right at my hair line.  Knocked me out.  

• Booooooooo 1

Bag: Titleist
Driver: TM RBZ 9.5
Fairway metals: TM RBZ 3 wood
Hybrids: TM RBZ 3, 4 and 5
Irons: TM Burner 1.0 6 thru LW stiff steel shafts
Putter: Ping B60
Ball: TM Tour Preferred X or ProV1x
Check out littlejohngolfleague.com  A Greater Houston TX traveling golf league.

• 2 weeks later...

Midway down my left thigh. I was standing on the green, waiting for my turn to putt. I actually heard a whoosh of air, then a thud as the ball struck me on the fly. It literally knocked me to the ground. It was the worst Charlie horse I've ever had. I finished the round with 5 holes left to play. I developed a bruise the size of a baseball, that took almost a month to completely go away. The guy that hit me run up and apologized profusely, saying that he never hits it that far.  

• iacas changed the title to Ever Been Hit by a Golf Ball?
On 2/15/2022 at 9:50 PM, Mikem2188 said:

Yes I had a time I was playing with a room mate he hit one in the cornfield, one to the right, in the woods, he took a 3rd shot off the tee. It went off the toe I was in the cart beside him, it hit me in the temple and I passed out and sustained, a tbi (Tramatic brain injury) fractured, My zygoma bone on my, scull and 3 months later I started noticing paranoia, anxiety and spurs of anger, I was psychiatric placed for months and have never been the same, since. But I still golf ️  I love it too much to let that make me stop ️. Cheers. Mike

Oh my God! 
That's horrible. 
I hope you are getting what you need. Brain injuries are no joke. 

My bag is an ever-changing combination of clubs. 

A mix I am forever tinkering with. 

I’ve never been hit, but I’ve had a couple of super close calls. I’ve probably mentioned before that I work at a country club. 

A few times while I pick the trees on either side of the driving range I’ve had balls land inches from me. I have been hit in the range picker though.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

• 5 months later...

I have had a few glancing blows, but nothing serious. I played in a comp today and witnessed something quite horrible. A bloke in my four ball, who is a very big hitter, hooked the ball left towards another golfer coming towards us on another fairway. He shouted FORE, but the other golfer didn't respond, so I shouted even louder. The ball hit him square in the face, and was probably travelling at least 100mph. He was carted away and was sent to hospital with his bottom lip hanging over his chin. Even from 120 yards I could hear it hit his face. Sleeping tonight won't be easy, I just hope he will be OK

Edited by wacker

Good topic.  I have been narrowly missed on several occasions... always plan to better stay out of harm's way after those.  Saw a big bull-necked Colonel on a golf course in Hawaii drilled from behind with a low 3 wood.  He was on the ground in an instant.  Hit him in the back of that bull neck.  Luckily he was fine and finished the round.

A few years ago in a very very casual round a golfing friend, with a 30 yard wedge shot, was overshooting the pin.  I was on the green and attempted to catch his ball.  I've played a lot of baseball and know what I'm doing, but whew(!) did that hurt.  Between the speed of the ball and the backspin, my palm was sore for days.  Won't do that again.

I've also had several close calls.   Been hit twice.   Once in the leg after it bounced once, so it wasn't bad.   it was a driver though.   That was from my caddy days.   I got hit in the shoulder once but that wasn't too bad either

I was standing next to someone, big muscled guy, and we were waiting for people to hit so we could cross the fairway.   IIRC it was some ridiculous layout where you had to cross a hole to get to the next tee.   Someone, from another hole not the one that we had to cross, hit him in the upper back, near his right shoulder.   He barely flinched and it thudded on the ground next to him.   At the end of the round he had a big goose egg, but man he almost just brushed it off.   

Reminded me of Luke Skywalker brushing off his shoulder in the Last Jedi, or the scene in Superman Returns when the crook shoots Superman and the bullet flattens, drops and they both just look down and state.

Loosely related story, I hit my father in the nuts with a divot one time.   Given my upbringing, not sorry at all.  It was the only time he went out on the golf course with me.

—Adam

I got hit in the upper arm 25+ years ago.  It hurt, but was not too bad.

Last year I had a ball bounce between my legs when I was about to tee off. 

War Eagle!