IGNORED

Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?

bkuehn1952
Note: This thread is 2268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?  

54 members have voted

1. 1. Have you hit yourself with a golf ball?

• Yes (as @iacas might say, deets please)
    • No

The thread on getting hit by a golf ball along with @Jeremie Boop's admission got me thinking about hitting oneself.  I did the deed in a steep walled bunker. Hit the upper edge, and I watched the ricochet lazily arc back at me.  Then it suddenly dawned on me that I had better get out of the way.  Sigh. Too slow. Hit me in the chest (1 stroke penalty) and dropped into a fried egg lie.  

Brian Kuehn

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Yup. Tried to punch out of the woods and caught a tree solid. The ball hit me square in the chest.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Obviously, since I inspired the thread I have to add my hilarious self hit story about bouncing the ball off the golf cart and hitting myself in the mouth. All I could do was laugh it off, it happened so fast @Carl Spackler didn't even know I did it until I said something a little later as I was spitting blood out. Strangely enough it didn't even hurt. I can only assume that it was hard enough to instantly bruise the nerves numbing the area.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Yeah, a couple of times. Both were after the ball hit a tree, and bounced back at me. One left a decent bruise on my calf. It was full swing 5i. The other caught me in the chin. No big deal on that one as I was just chipping to get to a better shot. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

I voted no, but I have seen someone hit themselves before.

Similar to the @billchao story, when I was in the Philippines in 1986, one of my best friends (who was a really good golfer) hit a ball into the jungle on the Par 5, 15th hole.  He was 1 under at the time and had a small opening to go through to get the ball close to the green, and thus by his thinking would make birdie.  He hit his shot like a rocket, it hit the tree right in front of him and came back and hit him in the family jewels, he dropped like a sack of rocks, one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the golf course to date.

• Upvote 1

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

4 minutes ago, jsgolfer said:

I voted no, but I have seen someone hit themselves before.

Similar to the @billchao story, when I was in the Philippines in 1986, one of my best friends (who was a really good golfer) hit a ball into the jungle on the Par 5, 15th hole.  He was 1 under at the time and had a small opening to go through to get the ball close to the green, and thus by his thinking would make birdie.  He hit his shot like a rocket, it hit the tree right in front of him and came back and hit him in the family jewels, he dropped like a sack of rocks, one of the funniest things I've ever seen on the golf course to date.

So was he -2 after that? :-)

• Upvote 2

Just now, skeedawg said:

So was he -2 after that? :-)

Indeed he was.  LOL

-Jerry

Driver: Titleist 913 D3 (9.5 degree) – Aldila RIP 60-2.9-Stiff; Callaway Mini-Driver Kura Kage 60g shaft - 12 degree Hybrids: Callway X2 Hot Pro - 16 degree & 23 degree – Pro-Shaft; Callway X2 Hot – 5H & 6H Irons: Titleist 714 AP2 7 thru AW with S300 Dynamic Gold Wedges: Titleist Vokey GW (54 degree), Callaway MackDaddy PM Grind SW (58 degree) Putter: Ping Cadence TR Ketsch Heavy Balls: Titleist Pro V1x & Snell MyTourBall

"Golf is the closest game to the game we call life. You get bad breaks from good shots; you get good breaks from bad shots but you have to play the ball where it lies."- Bobby Jones

28 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Obviously, since I inspired the thread I have to add my hilarious self hit story about bouncing the ball off the golf cart and hitting myself in the mouth. All I could do was laugh it off, it happened so fast @Carl Spackler didn't even know I did it until I said something a little later as I was spitting blood out. Strangely enough it didn't even hurt. I can only assume that it was hard enough to instantly bruise the nerves numbing the area.

Strangest thing I have ever seen. I'm glad I didn't have to revive you. There may be a @Jeremie Boop memorial thread on the site. :-P

As for me, no. Never hit myself. 

- Shane

I've been afraid that I might hit myself on flop shots.  I've done the mickelson trick shot flop over a person and doing that scares me, because I don't want that ball to go too straight up and smack me in the face.... Now that would really be a trick shot.

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

No but i did hit a friend a few months back. Trying to clear a tree line after hitting a fabulous drive into the middle of the wrong fairway,i then thinned a 6 iron straight into the trees which ricocheted off towards my friend who was standing about 10 meters from them. as he turned his back,it hit him flush on the arse.while he swore profoundly,i couldn't stop myself from giggling like a small child. probably one of my favorite golf memories from 2016

• Upvote 1

Yes, in a deep bunker and tried to hit a lob wedge onto the green. I got too much under it and it went straight up and back down and hit me. No one saw it but I called a penalty on myself. Lost the hole but retained my respect for myself. A course I played on many years ago a player hit his tee shot into the woods. He tried to hit a low screamer through the trees and it hit a tree in front of him and came back and hit him in the forehead. I was told this by a member of the course and he said the guy was DOA when the body got to the hospital. 

• Upvote 1

I have, but my story is boring. I had a thin lie on some dirt that I was trying to hit out of with a long iron. I tried to be a little too cute and topped the ball so badly that it popped up and hit me in the chest. It didn't hurt at all - I didn't get much of the ball. Pretty embarrassing.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Once, while using a 4 iron and a dense, foam, practice ball; I caused said projectile to rebound in an unfortunate and astonishingly painful manner.  There were no witnesses; so no one was able to derive any humor from the incident.

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Yes, ricochet off a practice net in the back yard few years ago. Caught it square on the nose bone right between the eyes. Blacked out for a few minutes, stumbled back in the house when I came about. Blacked out again for not sure how long but I would think a few minutes again, then just sat up and waited it out till vision returned to normal. No lasting effects except a severely bruised nose for a month.

Lucky to not have to live with a pirate eye patch.

Vishal S.

Yes, but fortunately no injury.

I was playing a soft LW shot out of a fluffy greenside lie, and I got a double hit - the ball popped up, came down and hit the club shaft on my followthrough - and the ball then bounced off my foot.

The rules guy said I should take a one-stroke penalty for a double hit, which I did.

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

5 hours ago, billchao said:

Yup. Tried to punch out of the woods and caught a tree solid. The ball hit me square in the chest.

Me too, twice.  The first time I was young and not so smart.  The second time was several years later and I was old enough to know better, but apparently I didn't.  Both times the ball caught me square in the breast bone and left a hell of a bruise and soreness.

Butch

Note: This thread is 2268 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!