IGNORED

Callaway GBB Epic Driver Reviews

Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Callaway's new driver keeps coming up in my social feeds and I don't normally pay attention to new clubs. Have also heard good word of mouth about it.

The titanium bars stiffen the body of the club, especially around the face, so at impact the hitting area flexes across a larger area and energy is transferred back into the ball more efficiently. That means golfers should expect to maximize ball speed across a larger area.

http://golfweek.com/2017/01/04/callaway-epic-and-epic-sub-zero-drivers/

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator

We have them to review (primarily @NCGolfer), but will of course be spending more than a week in doing so. :-)

The rules regarding CoR limit how much speed the face can contribute, so it must be achieving its "magic" via off-center impacts.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

29 minutes ago, iacas said:

We have them to review (primarily @NCGolfer), but will of course be spending more than a week in doing so. :-)

Can't wait.

30 minutes ago, iacas said:

The rules regarding CoR limit how much speed the face can contribute, so it must be achieving its "magic" via off-center impacts.

Does this mean I have to practice mis-hits?  Shouldn't be a problem this time of year. :-D

Fairways and Greens.

Dave

Based on reviews I've seen from Shiels, Crossfield, Golf Monthly and the one posted on GolfWRX it doesn't appear that the Epic driver is all that Epic.  Numbers look to be right in line with the previous GBB and 816 DBD drivers.  Much like the "new but not really new" M1/M2 that was hyped a few weeks ago the Epic seems to be nothing more than just marketing hype at this point.

Driver: Cobra FlyZ | 9.5 Degrees Draw | Fujikura Pro 63 Tour Spec
Fairway Wood: Cobra F7 3-4 Wood | 14.5 degrees | Fujikura Pro 65
Hybrid: Cobra F7 3-4H | 19 degrees | Fujikura Pro 75H
Irons: Srixon Z545 (4-Iron) | Srixon Z 765 (5-PW)
Wedges: Titleist Vokey SM6 | 50 F Grind | 54 M Grind | 58 K Grind
Putter: Odyssey O-Works 1W WBW

• Administrator

Interesting. I've continued to hear about increased ball speeds from many people (from the slight mis-hits). We were discussing it in a text group earlier today, too. Your boy @kpaulhus was excited about it.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

The head Pro at Pinnacle got his GBB Epic standard last week. He let me hit it and I asked about the sub zero and he said for him it was a much lower ball flight. They have the heads in the pro shop but are not fitting anyone for another week or two. I am interested to see the numbers vs my current Titleist 915 D4. The Epic felt hotter, but it was also 28* outside. 

Kyle Paulhus

If you really want to get better, check out Evolvr

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Career Low Round: 67 (18 holes), 32 (9 holes)

It looks like they are able to achieve high MOI and get the weight lower and forward for the Epic Sub Zero. Which is interesting because those type of drivers trend to sacrifice MOI for CG location. If so I am really interested in the SubZero driver. 

• Upvote 1

Matt Dougherty, P.E.
 fasdfa dfdsaf 

What's in My Bag
Driver; :pxg: 0311 Gen 5,  3-Wood: 
:titleist: 917h3 ,  Hybrid:  :titleist: 915 2-Hybrid,  Irons: Sub 70 TAIII Fordged
Wedges: :edel: (52, 56, 60),  Putter: :edel:,  Ball: :snell: MTB,  Shoe: :true_linkswear:,  Rangfinder: :leupold:
Bag: :ping:

On 1/5/2017 at 0:39 PM, saevel25 said:

It looks like they are able to achieve high MOI and get the weight lower and forward for the Epic Sub Zero. Which is interesting because those type of drivers trend to sacrifice MOI for CG location. If so I am really interested in the SubZero driver. 

I always thought of MOI and low-forwad CGs as a zero sum game. If they are somehow pulling both off that is interesting. Colors are really putting me off though, doesn't really give me that Big Bertha feel. Looks just like that other green driver they released a few years back.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

1 hour ago, SavvySwede said:

Colors are really putting me off though, doesn't really give me that Big Bertha feel. 

Thats interesting to me. I actually like the way this driver looks in person. I tested a few rounds with both the GBB Alpha and XR and didnt really like them. Ive hit the new Mizuno driver and it too is really hot, but I cant get over the blue crown. Though, Ive never liked the white taylormade drivers either. 

Kyle Paulhus

:callaway: Rogue ST 10.5* | :callaway: Epic Sub Zero 15* | :tmade: P790 3 Driving Iron |:titleist: 716 AP2 |  :edel: Wedges 50/54/68 | :edel: Deschutes 36"

Some guesswork:

The jail break bars stiffen the body and allow to spread impact energy more evenly through the face and even the sole + crown, i.e. impact energy reaction more even across face in a larger area.

This is a different approach than making a larger sweet spot by thinning the face which did the opposite - i.e. allow more localized face flex (COR) across a larger area of the face.  

I think the higher the swing speed folks will find the most benefit/difference in using GBB (hint hint @saevel25). Stiffer crown to sole also absorb more twist torque as well (less gear effect). It's the same beneficial effect of a smaller head from that aspect but actually using a larger head.

Slower swinger (less than 95 mph would be my wild guess) would still benefit more from higher traditional face flex IMO or wont really notice much difference at best.

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, kpaulhus said:

Thats interesting to me. I actually like the way this driver looks in person. I tested a few rounds with both the GBB Alpha and XR and didnt really like them. Ive hit the new Mizuno driver and it too is really hot, but I cant get over the blue crown. Though, Ive never liked the white taylormade drivers either. 

I wouldn't say the look itself is ugly, just not in tune the Big Bertha aesthetic I've come to recognize. Had they given the driver a different moniker I wouldn't have paid it much notice. To me, Big Bertha is supposed to give off more of a user friendly vibe with a streamlined look. This new BB is techy and industrial looking.

I havent hit the Sub Zero yet, however Crossfield's review of it really makes me want it. I like lower spinning drivers (I play the 915 D4 now) and it gave him the best carry numbers. Also, if it were to have a more fade bias that would be great to eliminate the left side of the golf course. Of course, if you have a hook swing you're going to hook the ball no matter what, but being able to start it on the left side of the fairway and keep it there, or even fade to the center would be great. I used to play a fade and felt while shorter it was much easier to control. My draw is huge but I can hit some huge drives with it too. Really looking forward to getting fit and seeing how it compares.

Kyle Paulhus

I was able to hit the GBB Epic Sub Zero on lunch today. Unfortunately there were 20mph wind gusts right to left so I couldn't really get a good gauge on my landing area on the range vs my Titleist D4. The Epic did feel solid and hot, and has a much more muted sound than my Titlest. I was using the 9* +1* in loft and the stock Xstiff 75g shaft. The ball was coming out a lower than my 10.5* Titleist and had a really penetrating flight. I talked with the pro and we will get on an indoor launch monitor with my Titleist, GBB Epic, Epic Sub Zero, and the new Mizuno JPX driver to see which gives me the best numbers. 

Kyle Paulhus

• Administrator
7 minutes ago, kpaulhus said:

I was able to hit the GBB Epic Sub Zero on lunch today. Unfortunately there were 20mph wind gusts right to left so I couldn't really get a good gauge on my landing area on the range vs my Titleist D4. The Epic did feel solid and hot, and has a much more muted sound than my Titlest. I was using the 9* +1* in loft and the stock Xstiff 75g shaft. The ball was coming out a lower than my 10.5* Titleist and had a really penetrating flight. I talked with the pro and we will get on an indoor launch monitor with my Titleist, GBB Epic, Epic Sub Zero, and the new Mizuno JPX driver to see which gives me the best numbers. 

Pretty much parallels my experiences so far.

I like the sound. It's not as soft as the R15, but it's not as loud as even the GBB A DBD.

I agree. I almost feel like "speak softly and carry a big stick" applies pretty well to this driver. Its even more muted than the M1 I hit, but felt much more solid.

Kyle Paulhus

6 hours ago, NCGolfer said:

That driver Rory's sporting looks familiar...

Well now we know it is going to probably sell well.

Note: This thread is 2157 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!