IGNORED

Callaway GBB Epic Driver Reviews

Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I am going to look at the Sub Zero. I tend to hit my 9.5 RBZ high. Also, years ago I had a Loco driver with similar head (that I eventually broke) and I really liked it. Also, I'm intrigued on the reports of how this head sounds. Will report back once I get around to it. Will probably try it in a fitting...

Custom fit RBZ irons. Taylormade RBZ driver. Some crappy old high-bounce Macgregor wedge and an even older Mizuno 5 wood. Haven't settled on a ball yet - still looking. Decades of football, weightlifting and boxing came together to create the world's worst golfer. I'm slowly correcting that now. 

• 5 months later...

Initial thoughts on the Epic...

I traded in several fairways for an Epic 10.5 at 44.5 in @D2 - Callaway animalized it for me (2 weights- may not be the same weight) to get to D2 in a Diamana Green M+50 shaft - I'd called it a softer Diamana Blue.

Well, I fell in love at first contact - the club just felt right, looked great, and great balance for me. Kept on hitting it without stepping on the gas and it was point and shoot for me. Unfortunately for the shaft, my instructor and I have worked hard on convincing me to use my lower body, but it wasn't clicking with my head ... until today. I watched 30 minutes of Grant Waite and his lower body and sequencing, and something went off in my head ... something positive. I started sequencing correctly and the shaft lost its life force. I must have finally gained speed. I stepped back down and it was consistent with tight dispersion. Of course, I was hitting beaten like a step child range balls - really beaten down.

I stopped after about 20 balls and resumed my drills. After range time, I headed to hole #1 with 6 Callaway Truvis balls and changed out the shaft to my Grand Bassara, which at 45 g and R flex is fairly stable, even at mid-90's. I hit 3 balls with the Epic 10.5 and all were  center with mid flight that climbed and the Bassara kicked like a mule but it still maintained; then I took out the BB Fusion 10.5 and put in the same shaft - 3 balls - center, left center, left side, and I did not like the flight.

The hole played about 380 on Monday, 88-90F at 8 pm with a R to L crosswind. My best ball with Epic was 85 yrds from the flag, out at the cart detour sign. The other two were about 5 yds back. No way! I said. And I still don't believe it. The nearest Fusion ball - center - was 10+ yards behind the Epic. My instructor is a genius and this driver is for real, I think. Typically, I am hitting 125-140 for my second shot on this hole Now I'm hitting 3 clubs less - I took SW to the front of the green. I've played this hole dozens of times and I rechecked the scorecard. Yep - playing 380. My ball flght was mid and with the dry fairway, it rolled well for me. But I couldn't tell. I can't see that far.

Did not have a chance to hit it since Monday night. Will hit it again tomorrow at lunch. May need to go up in flex to stiff - I felt like I was at the limits of the shaft. I need to get my Voice Caddy. I just think the golf gods are playing a royal joke on this old man.

Edited by Mr. Desmond

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• 10 months later...

Been playing with the Callaway GBB Epic for about 4 months now. Absolutely love it. Dialed it in to my swing but it literally fell apart today.

It is a hot day up here in MA and I noticed a little bubbling on the bottom of the club head. I took a perfect swing and the bottom came flying off. The glue holding it together was hot and sticky as if it melted off.

Contacted Callaway and they are getting another one shipped out asap so I am grateful for that. Anyone else experience this?

My experience with the Epic from last year until January was that it was a consistent driver for me unless hit on the toe - if toe, then OB. It took a long time to get rid of a severe in to out path, which caused the issue. I learned to hit more of a cut. But I had it set at 9.5, used a 55g shaft and ball go high, with a little draw, or cut for the most part. Nice driver, avoid the toe. Feel is more muted - when hit on the screws, it feels/sounds soft and muted. When hit off-center, it has a hard feel.

Rogue is more forgiving, but the feel is not as pleasing to me.

Ping G400 Max 9/TPT Shaft, TEE EX10 Beta 4, 5 wd, PXG 22 HY, Mizuno JPX919F 5-GW, TItleist SM7 Raw 55-09, 59-11, Bettinardi BB39

I've hit the Epic really well in demo days last year and got interested.  And a fellow player got fit for one and was hitting them miles (but that's normal for him) - his fitting showed the regular Epic gave about 10 yards and a tighter dispersal - pretty much the win win of any fitting....

I got fit a month ago - tried the (Epic, Epic SZ, M4, Rogue, Rogue SZ) vs my 8 year old Nike VR Pro ii limiteds...I was hitting ok but I was sick too, but opened up with nearly perfect drives for my Nike baseline.  So the sell of any new driver was going to be tough vs those swings.

Epic, Rogues and M4 with a similar shaft to my Nike were close to equivalent - both sounded nice and felt fine.  Loved the look.

The Epic SubZero was also nice, but for some reason I got about 4mph more head speed.

(that day I had face issues, so it was pretty much all about distance).

Then we matched shafts.  I chose - Driver Epic subzero, 3w Epic, 3h/5h Rogues.

Got them Wednesday - I've now played 4 rounds (busy opening weekend) with these clubs and am figuring them out. 

Frankly I've never hit straighter or farther (all four clubs) - the driver head speed bonus was likely worth 5-10 yards, on drives I'm getting at least 10.  I've never hit straighter - all 4 clubs.  The swing is natural and feels more effortless.  Yesterday on a no wind day I tagged one drive 345 yards - my typical is 270, but occasionally you get one perfect.  Most drives are still 270-280, but I'm finding my dispersion much tighter.  and mishits seem to be going about as far.  I need to exagerate my input to shape a shot - which I think is a good thing.

The weights on the sole get dirty easy.  I can deal with that - all the new drivers seems to have a lot of crap on the sole now....

I don't think this is all the driver head, I think this is more an advocacy on getting fit, having the right shaft, lie and loft, is probably most of my satisfaction.  And not getting something new every year - the big layoff might even mean it really is better than the old ones (Patrick Reed, however, plays the VR Pro ii 3w.....)

I asked the fitter why I wasn't getting the same results from the Rogue SZ as the Epic.  He pretty much said I should be, but sometimes, on that day, something looks and feels right and I should just go with what makes me happy.  He'd get the rest dialed in with the shaft fit.  He ping my ego a little bit noting I should stick with 10.5 degrees vs lower which I thought I needed - but when he points at the spin numbers, I don't argue.  It's still adjustable from 9.5 to 12.5 (though i'd have preferred 8.5 to 11.5....I didn't ask for it, my bad)

I like that I had a big gap between the tech of the old stuff vs the new.  I'm super happy I got fit instead of just finding "any old stiff shaft on the driver the head I like" off the shelf.

Unless this is just the honeymoon period of new clubs - if so, I'll ride it as long as I can.  It's fun.

Edited by rehmwa

Bill - 

Note: This thread is 2184 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!