IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Is this what you mean by cupped? I have struggled with this a lot. What do you do to correct it?

cupped.jpg

Here's a good thread:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Just now, Jeremie Boop said:

Is this what you mean by cupped? I have struggled with this a lot. What do you do to correct it?

cupped.jpg

yea, that's the culprit. When I first started playing golf it was even more pronounced than that. 

What really helps is constantly rehearsing my backswing throughout the day, no clubs needed, pausing at the top to check my wrist "shape" if its neutral to slightly cupped, I emphasize the feel of "turning my knuckles down" as I near the top of the back swing. 

When on the range, I use the same "knuckles down" feel as my primary swing thought, and oddly enough it has helped a bunch. 

Yesterday I was hitting balls and it started with cut shots then slices then shanks. This let me know my club face was gradually opening more and more to the point where I was introducing the hosel to the ball first. I made a quick adjustment to the knuckles down swing thought and it quickly cleared up my problems. I also seem to catch the ball cleanly, more consistently when I bow (knuckles down) instead of cup. I don't know why or how that is, but for me it just seems to work that way. 

I do tend to pull the ball when I bow, but its a predictable miss that I can live with as opposed to the alternative. 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

So this happened yesterday...

37.png

Easily the best I've ever played everything really came together for me I only missed 2 fairways my approach shots were good had 4 GIR but my misses weren't bad close enough that I had 3 up and downs for par. My putting was the best its been all year I sank a 20+ footer for birdie on 3 and for the most part my speed was good keeping me to within 3 feet for my 2nd putts. My one bad putting hole was the second its a short par 4 that I drove to within 12 feet of the hole but yipped my eagle putt only half way there and sent my second 3 feet past most disappointing par of my life. I started to feel the nerves on the 7th hit a good drive but thinned my chip just past the back of the green and wasn't able to get up and down then on the 8th hit a just awful tee shot I was nervous and fidgety I should have backed away and reset but I swung and popped my drive straight up and 130 yards my approach was straight but short and I wasn't able to get up and down again. On the 9th I was thinking birdie all the way I desperately wanted to finish even par I smoked my drive 270 but sent it just right of the fairway on a dogleg left par 5. I layed up short of a pond leaving me 130 out I hit my PW it hits the green and rolls off the side onto the fringe. My chipping had been spot on all day and I wanted to hole it but I lipped it out to about 3" away and tapped in for my 37. I went to start the back 9 and after I tee off (hit and rolled off a par 3 green) one of the groundskeepers came and said they had just fertilized the back and were starting the sprinklers so it wouldn't be playable for a few hours I finished out the hole and headed home meaning to go back later in the day and finish but never got to it. This was so close to one of my yearly goals the front 9 of my course is fairly easy and I want to shoot under par before the year is out but I couldn't be more excited with how I played everything felt so easy I was confident in every shot there weren't any fat iron shots or duffed chips I took chances that worked out it was a fun round I don't expect to be able to do this every time out but knowing I have the ability my confidence is sky high right now... of course my next time out ill shoot a 50 and it'll bring me back down to earth lol

1 minute ago, divot dave said:

yea, that's the culprit. When I first started playing golf it was even more pronounced than that. 

What really helps is constantly rehearsing my backswing throughout the day, no clubs needed, pausing at the top to check my wrist "shape" if its neutral to slightly cupped, I emphasize the feel of "turning my knuckles down" as I near the top of the back swing. 

When on the range, I use the same "knuckles down" feel as my primary swing thought, and oddly enough it has helped a bunch. 

Yesterday I was hitting balls and it started with cut shots then slices then shanks. This let me know my club face was gradually opening more and more to the point where I was introducing the hosel to the ball first. I made a quick adjustment to the knuckles down swing thought and it quickly cleared up my problems. I also seem to catch the ball cleanly, more consistently when I bow (knuckles down) instead of cup. I don't know why or how that is, but for me it just seems to work that way. 

I do tend to pull the ball when I bow, but its a predictable miss that I can live with as opposed to the alternative. 

Interesting, I find that when I'm having a particularly bad day, especially with the driver, all most every strike is to the heel side of the club and they tend to be push fade/slices. I may have to try your "knuckle down" thought at the range next time and see how it works. Thanks.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

15 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Interesting, I find that when I'm having a particularly bad day, especially with the driver, all most every strike is to the heel side of the club and they tend to be push fade/slices. I may have to try your "knuckle down" thought at the range next time and see how it works. Thanks.

yeah, damned drivers... I just can't seem to tame that beast. As I've mentioned elsewhere... I now use a mini driver. There's something about the smaller club head that seems to give me a greater sense of control - or awareness - throughout the swing than with these bulky 460 cc driver heads. 

IN MY BAG

27 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

So this happened yesterday...

37.png

Easily the best I've ever played everything really came together for me I only missed 2 fairways my approach shots were good had 4 GIR but my misses weren't bad close enough that I had 3 up and downs for par. My putting was the best its been all year I sank a 20+ footer for birdie on 3 and for the most part my speed was good keeping me to within 3 feet for my 2nd putts. My one bad putting hole was the second its a short par 4 that I drove to within 12 feet of the hole but yipped my eagle putt only half way there and sent my second 3 feet past most disappointing par of my life. I started to feel the nerves on the 7th hit a good drive but thinned my chip just past the back of the green and wasn't able to get up and down then on the 8th hit a just awful tee shot I was nervous and fidgety I should have backed away and reset but I swung and popped my drive straight up and 130 yards my approach was straight but short and I wasn't able to get up and down again. On the 9th I was thinking birdie all the way I desperately wanted to finish even par I smoked my drive 270 but sent it just right of the fairway on a dogleg left par 5. I layed up short of a pond leaving me 130 out I hit my PW it hits the green and rolls off the side onto the fringe. My chipping had been spot on all day and I wanted to hole it but I lipped it out to about 3" away and tapped in for my 37. I went to start the back 9 and after I tee off (hit and rolled off a par 3 green) one of the groundskeepers came and said they had just fertilized the back and were starting the sprinklers so it wouldn't be playable for a few hours I finished out the hole and headed home meaning to go back later in the day and finish but never got to it. This was so close to one of my yearly goals the front 9 of my course is fairly easy and I want to shoot under par before the year is out but I couldn't be more excited with how I played everything felt so easy I was confident in every shot there weren't any fat iron shots or duffed chips I took chances that worked out it was a fun round I don't expect to be able to do this every time out but knowing I have the ability my confidence is sky high right now... of course my next time out ill shoot a 50 and it'll bring me back down to earth lol

Good on you! Those rounds are the best, when everything begins to fall into place... If we could only live in that space... lol

I swear, golf is such a drug, lol, and rounds like this one are the reason why. 

Nice Job :beer:

IN MY BAG

Went to the course yesterday to work out my pitching and chipping game on the practice greens, then over to the driving range where things came together pretty well. Can't wait to get out and play my next round of golf. Unlike other rounds, this time, just for the heck of it, I am going to play a safe as well as smart game where I analyze each shot and not take all the risky shots which I love and see if it makes a difference. I will try teeing off with clubs other than my driver such as my 3W, 5W, or 3H which give me better accuracy on areas with narrow fairways. 

5 hours ago, divot dave said:

so does this mean you're pulling/hooking or pushing/slicing? (I assume pulling/hooking)

I tend to regress into a cupped wrist at the top. I think I'm in one of those patterns now, need to do some quick camera work like you. 

I pulled/hooked more than pushed/sliced.  Once I get my wrist straight at top of the swing, ball strikes are more consistent.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I went out this morning for a practice round at the course we'll be playing Saturday.  

I shot 49 - 49 = 98 and it was even worse than the score shows.  

After being really comfortable with the driver in my last round (almost 2 weeks ago), it just went away today.  Everything I hit was moving right on me.  I took 5 penalties off the tee with that club.  The worst part about it is that this course is really, really open.  It takes a pretty horrible shot to lose one on most holes.  

Putting was pretty bad also, but I blame that on the difference in the greens over what I played on 2 weeks ago.  These were S-L-O-W and wet.  I only had 33 official putts... but I also putted from off the green another 5 times... and 3 of them resulted in being far enough away that I needed at least 2 putts to get in.  

I don't like this course.  I didn't play well on it last year (finished 2 spots from last) and I posted the same score today that I did last year.  I'm hoping that getting out today is going to serve as a reminder of where not to hit the ball come Saturday.  

I had a few holes where I could have save myself some stokes simply be knowing the layout better... but for the most part, it was just poor play.  I have got to become more consistent with every club in my bag.  Too many times I either put myself completely out of position off the tee... or I'll be in great position and just waste it with a poor swing with an iron.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

16 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

I went out this morning for a practice round at the course we'll be playing Saturday.  

I shot 49 - 49 = 98 and it was even worse than the score shows.  

After being really comfortable with the driver in my last round (almost 2 weeks ago), it just went away today.  Everything I hit was moving right on me.  I took 5 penalties off the tee with that club.  The worst part about it is that this course is really, really open.  It takes a pretty horrible shot to lose one on most holes.  

Putting was pretty bad also, but I blame that on the difference in the greens over what I played on 2 weeks ago.  These were S-L-O-W and wet.  I only had 33 official putts... but I also putted from off the green another 5 times... and 3 of them resulted in being far enough away that I needed at least 2 putts to get in.  

I don't like this course.  I didn't play well on it last year (finished 2 spots from last) and I posted the same score today that I did last year.  I'm hoping that getting out today is going to serve as a reminder of where not to hit the ball come Saturday.  

I had a few holes where I could have save myself some stokes simply be knowing the layout better... but for the most part, it was just poor play.  I have got to become more consistent with every club in my bag.  Too many times I either put myself completely out of position off the tee... or I'll be in great position and just waste it with a poor swing with an iron.  

CY

2 weeks in between rounds is more than enough time for me to forget everything good that was going for me previously... lol. Were you able to practice much during those 2 weeks?

IN MY BAG

I had a horrible night at league last night. Just about every drive I hit started right and went right. I knew what was causing it and couldn't stop doing it too. I had 3 good drives and one of them was hitting 3 after my first went OB. I don't much care about how I putted because the greens are absolute trash at this course, but for the most part my irons were pretty decent. I need to get out to the range and work on my swing some more. So frustrating that the driver used to be something I was so comfortable with and now I'm just not. At least when I actually keep it straight I've regained most of my length. None of my drives last night had any roll out due to the soggy ground, they were all sitting within inches of the pitch mark where they landed. The only thing I like about nights like that is they give me a good gauge of what my carry distance is with the driver on good drives, the 3 that I didn't push OB right were 268, 260, and 267. So, after signing the lease for my apartment tonight I'll be hitting the range to work on my swing. Otherwise golf Saturday is going to be a messy proposition.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

I'll never figure golf out, I rode the golf roller coaster big time yesterday.  Yesterday was a cold, windy day and traffic caused me to reach the course just a few minutes before our tee time.  It was total chaos, I had to run with my bag in hand to pay for the round, jumped in a cart, got to the first tee while my buddies waited, it was a compete blur.    

Without any range time,or time to stretch and loosen up I just ran up to the tee and striped a drive right down the middle.  My head wasn't even thinking golf just all the confusion of trying to catch up from arriving to the course so late.  Amazingly, I proceeded to par 5 out of the front 9 holes and finished the front 9 with a 40.  

As we made the turn I was pumped, I thought to myself this could potentially be a low 80 or even sub 80 round.  The back nine started out well, I shot a bogey on 10, par on 11 and then the wheels fell off.  I finished the back nine with a 50, shaking my head that in 7 holes I managed to ruin such an awesome round.  

What's crazy is I thought I was focused and felt good on the back 7 but I just couldn't execute a shot.  My drives started finding the woods, my approach shots were pulled and I couldn't putt to save my life, my entire game just disappeared.  

The golf gods are a fickle bunch.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

1 hour ago, divot dave said:

2 weeks in between rounds is more than enough time for me to forget everything good that was going for me previously... lol. Were you able to practice much during those 2 weeks?

Usually, I try to get out once or twice a week... even if it's for 9 holes.  I had burned myself out prior to that last tournament.  I played 6 out of 7 days that week and it really kinda just wore on me.  

After that round... I let the clubs sit for a few days.  I did manage to get to the range for a quick session because I wanted to work on my low irons and wedges... but beyond that and hitting a few 6 irons off the mat in my garage, I didn't do much of anything... and it showed.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

2 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

I'll never figure golf out, I rode the golf roller coaster big time yesterday.  It was a cold, windy day yesterday and traffic caused me to reach the course just a few minutes before our tee time.  It was total chaos, I had to run with my bag in hand to pay for the round, jumped in a cart, got to the first tee while my buddies waited, it was a compete blur.    

Without any range time,or time to stretch and loosen up I just ran up to the tee and striped a drive right down the middle.  My head wasn't even thinking golf just all the confusion of trying to catch up from arriving to the course so late.  Amazingly, I proceeded to par 5 out of the front 9 holes and finished the front 9 with a 40.  

As we made the turn I was pumped, I thought to myself this could potentially be a low 80 or even sub 80 round.  The back nine started out well, I shot a bogey on 10, par on 11 and then the wheels fell off.  I finished the back nine with a 50, shaking my head that in 7 holes I managed to ruin such an awesome round.  

What's crazy is I thought I was focused and felt good on the back 7 but I just couldn't execute a shot.  My drives started finding the woods, my approach shots were pulled and I couldn't putt to save my life, my entire game just disappeared.  

The golf gods are a fickle bunch.  

they are some rotten bastards... its absolutely puzzling to me how a round can flip flop like that, seemingly out of nowhere. 

IN MY BAG

2 minutes ago, divot dave said:

they are some rotten bastards... its absolutely puzzling to me how a round can flip flop like that, seemingly out of nowhere. 

Exactly, I would have better understood it if the entire back 9 went south because the score got in my head but I played 10 and 11 well.  I can't think of anything on the ride between 11 and 12 that I could identify as the cause for losing my swing, it just went poof.  

Joe Paradiso

33 minutes ago, newtogolf said:

Exactly, I would have better understood it if the entire back 9 went south because the score got in my head but I played 10 and 11 well.  I can't think of anything on the ride between 11 and 12 that I could identify as the cause for losing my swing, it just went poof.  

Yah, I had a 42-53 round earlier this year on a fairly easy course. I was thinking mid 80s (at worst) at the turn, because I was playing decent golf but just not scoring well. My poof was on two consecutive triple bogeys that resulted from a sudden disappearance of my swing feel. Throw in a few other iffy double bogeys that seemed like innocuous holes where I felt pretty good over the ball, and a 53 goes up on the board before I know it. 

But mid 80s is still in sight- even on a mid 90s round like that! Gotta stay optimistic.

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Last week I was +3 on my Prog and had 17 points this week I only made 11. Just when I think that things are coming together it falls apart and I can't buy a par.  I shoot mid 90's on the regular.  Then a few weeks of low 90's then 100's again. 

I still can't help but have the feeling that it will all come together, Its easy to shoot 10 over average, I still think that one day it will be 10 under average.

I am playing different clubs and haven't really mapped anything out as far as distances and shot zones I know that contributed to the higher scores though I don't know how much.

Edited by sirhacksalot

Struck my 3rd shot to within 10 feet of the hole on the Par 5 last hole, make the birdie for my best ever 9 hole s ofd...really go for the putt and send it 5 foot past, end up 3 putting oops

Always the way. +11 on 9 hole though pretty happy, progress is being made will break 90 this year I hope.

Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!