IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

13 minutes ago, Shark9 said:

Struck my 3rd shot to within 10 feet of the hole on the Par 5 last hole, make the birdie for my best ever 9 hole s ofd...really go for the putt and send it 5 foot past, end up 3 putting oops

Always the way. +11 on 9 hole though pretty happy, progress is being made will break 90 this year I hope.

I hate that last hole curse. I've had a lot of times going into the last hole having a nice score for 9 only to "play safe" and end up with a triple. It was mentioned in another thread that sometimes when playing safe we don't commit to the shot and it can have disastrous effects. Same goes for when having a rough 9 going and trying to play overly aggressive trying to get shots back. I've been really trying to not think about the overall score until after the round, that way I don't put extra pressure on myself to either "save" a round or play safe to not screw up a round.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

1 hour ago, Shark9 said:

Struck my 3rd shot to within 10 feet of the hole on the Par 5 last hole, make the birdie for my best ever 9 hole s ofd...really go for the putt and send it 5 foot past, end up 3 putting oops

Always the way. +11 on 9 hole though pretty happy, progress is being made will break 90 this year I hope.

Heartbreaker, but go big or go home. 5 ft past is better than leaving it short!!! :-D Cheers

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

2 hours ago, RandallT said:

Yah, I had a 42-53 round earlier this year on a fairly easy course. I was thinking mid 80s (at worst) at the turn, because I was playing decent golf but just not scoring well. My poof was on two consecutive triple bogeys that resulted from a sudden disappearance of my swing feel. Throw in a few other iffy double bogeys that seemed like innocuous holes where I felt pretty good over the ball, and a 53 goes up on the board before I know it. 

But mid 80s is still in sight- even on a mid 90s round like that! Gotta stay optimistic.

Exactly, I've tried to stay focused on the positive that I have improved my swing to the point at it's even possible for me to shoot 40 for nine holes but it's tough to not woulda, shoulda, coulda.  

Joe Paradiso

Tee it all the way forward today.

Just played 18.  Shot 91 from the red tees, I was really trying to break 90.  The times it went wrong were on tee shots where i was trying to drive the green with water or ob left and i pulled it a lil bit which caused me to have a penalty stroke.  Chipping needs work but putter was working fine.  Over all happy with round. So close...

• Upvote 1

On 5/6/2016 at 0:45 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

I hate that last hole curse.

"Last hole curse"?

My last hole is curse is making a birdie or an easy par on the last hole. This would be after struggling all day long - trying to come close to even mentioning the elusive word "Par".

The "Final Hole Curse" makes me look forward to coming back to the golf course and doing it all over again.

3 minutes ago, CCC said:

"Last hole curse"?

My last hole is curse is making a birdie or an easy par on the last hole. This would be after struggling all day long - trying to come close to even mentioning the elusive word "Par".

The "Final Hole Curse" makes me look forward to coming back to the golf course and doing it all over again.

I almost always screw up on the last hole if I'm doing well, almost. However, when I'm doing poorly sometimes I play the final hole well, like you describe, which tends to be because I give up by that point and by doing so end up being more relaxed. 

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Shot an 88 on Saturday I started off on the back which is the tougher 9 and shot a 42 then had some friends meet up with me to play the front. I was 1 over through 4 on the front when it fell apart I had an OB and a fat approach and ended up tripling the par 4 5th then I parred the next hole which is a par 3. Then the disaster hole, I sent my first drive OB then hit my 4 iron on the edge of OB had to punch out, fatted my approach, thinned my chip over the green, duffed my next one to the fringe and 3 putted for a 9 worst hole of the year by far. I scrambled for bogey on the next and finished with a par on the par 5 9th for a 46 it was really frustrating but still my best 18 hole score to date. I think if I put it together and just keep my ball in play probably need to play more irons off the tee I think I can flirt with 80 fairly soon. If I had just bogeyed those 2 holes that's 6 strokes but I have a hard time letting go of bad shots. Good thing is my putting and chipping has been really good as of late the time spent on the practice green is paying off had a lot of up and downs lately the 9 stroke hole and another where I had a 40 footer for bird are the only holes I 3 putted all day I've had 3 chip ins in my last 36 holes played and the 10-12 footers are falling regularly.

On 5/6/2016 at 0:45 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

I hate that last hole curse.

The last hole isn't as much a problem for me as is the 1st hole. Actually it takes me 3 holes to get on track before I start playing like I should. I usually end up +4 or 5 just on the first three holes. If I could only get on track from the 1st hole I might have more rounds under 90. 

7 minutes ago, 9wood said:

The last hole isn't as much a problem for me as is the 1st hole. Actually it takes me 3 holes to get on track before I start playing like I should. I usually end up +4 or 5 just on the first three holes. If I could only get on track from the 1st hole I might have more rounds under 90. 

The first hole is a crap shoot for me. I can shoot any score from birdie to an 8. There's no rhyme or reason, but like you, I settle into whatever game I have that day after a few holes typically.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

16 minutes ago, 9wood said:

7 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

The first hole is a crap shoot for me. I can shoot any score from birdie to an 8. There's no rhyme or reason, but like you, I settle into whatever game I have that day after a few holes typically.

The only mulligan I take is my first tee shot if I'm hitting driver. I seem to always snap hook it my first shot then my second will be fine. If we had a range to warm up on I wouldn't but first full swing of the day I give myself a pass but if I play an iron then if I hit a shit shot I stick with it. Generally by the second hole I'm up to speed and ill know if its about to turn into a practice round or not lol

5 minutes ago, Lugowskins said:

The only mulligan I take is my first tee shot if I'm hitting driver. I seem to always snap hook it my first shot then my second will be fine. If we had a range to warm up on I wouldn't but first full swing of the day I give myself a pass but if I play an iron then if I hit a shit shot I stick with it. Generally by the second hole I'm up to speed and ill know if its about to turn into a practice round or not lol

It actually doesn't matter if I warm up or not. I hit a warm up bucket on Saturday and the last drive I hit before going to the tee was at least acceptable. On the tee for the first hole I topped it and didn't even make the fairway. It's pretty funny most of the time.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

It actually doesn't matter if I warm up or not. I hit a warm up bucket on Saturday and the last drive I hit before going to the tee was at least acceptable. On the tee for the first hole I topped it and didn't even make the fairway. It's pretty funny most of the time.

"most of the time" except when there is a group watching and you can feel their eyes burning a hole in you as you top it to the womens tee lol been there a time or two

Honestly, I think my game can go straight into the dumper at any point at all over the course of a round.

The first hole can be a problem if I either didn't get to hit range balls or I hit the bucket very poorly. If I'm trying to get a round in at the end of a busy day and I'm walking, my form sometimes suffers towards the end of a round.

Then, some courses just have particular holes that are consistently problematic. I know full well that the middle holes on the Hawk Course (Kittyhawk, Dayton, OH) are just nasty. Keeping it together mentally for the 9-12 stretch makes the difference between 102 and 95 for me.

88 for me as well on Saturday.  Driving killed me.  Don't know if was simply 'tired' setting in or what, but last 3 or 4 driving holes were big blocked drives RIGHT.  No slice, just right missed fairways by 20-30 yards right.  My bad driving put me in bad position most of the round.  Whoever said, 'drive for show, putt for dough' has it wrong, wrong, wrong.

After ditching my seldom used 3-wood, I've kind of missed it on a few occasions early this season.  Came upon to a par 3 Saturday.  Uphill to green, total carry over water, 20+ mph wind in our face and tee box to flag measures 179.  Easily a 2 club wind to the elevated green to pin-high.  I have a 5-wood and a driver.  Hit the 5-wood for all she's worth.  Right on line with flag, 10' onto green with a 40-foot birdie putt.  The 5-wood went about 165 into the wind and uphill to green.  Ouch.

My 88 was good enough to outlast my cart-mate in futility.  He shot 91.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

2 hours ago, mcanadiens said:

Then, some courses just have particular holes that are consistently problematic. I know full well that the middle holes on the Hawk Course (Kittyhawk, Dayton, OH) are just nasty. Keeping it together mentally for the 9-12 stretch makes the difference between 102 and 95 for me.

This is me.  There's one course in Boston I must've played 20-30 times over the past two years and I've never parred the 5th hole.  It's a dogleg right par 5 with a fairway slanted to the left, a 25 ft. drop to the left of the fairway, and trees up the hill to the right.  A straight drive will roll off the fairway to the left and a draw will drop off down the hill.  A slice puts you in the trees...a fade is the only thing that'll put you in the fairway.  The green is protected by trees on all sides and has two very distinct levels.  I've scored anywhere from a 6 to a 14 (don't ask) on this hole.  Keeping it to bogey or double is seemingly always my goal on this hole.

18 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

This is me.  There's one course in Boston I must've played 20-30 times over the past two years and I've never parred the 5th hole.  It's a dogleg right par 5 with a fairway slanted to the left, a 25 ft. drop to the left of the fairway, and trees up the hill to the right.  A straight drive will roll off the fairway to the left and a draw will drop off down the hill.  A slice puts you in the trees...a fade is the only thing that'll put you in the fairway.  The green is protected by trees on all sides and has two very distinct levels.  I've scored anywhere from a 6 to a 14 (don't ask) on this hole.  Keeping it to bogey or double is seemingly always my goal on this hole.

There is a hole that I always had trouble with, as a matter of fact it's at one of the courses I play at with @mcanadiens. It's the 9th hole on the south course, decent length par 5 with OB left and a good sized pond on the right. The fairway is also split 2x and the shot to the green plays uphill. I typically either push my tee shot over into the pond or hook it OB. Then I'm left with too much distance to the green so I try to lay up, which basically never goes well. Typically I'm lucky to walk away with a bogey or double bogey. Last time we played it I was able to do get a birdie.

shelby oaks south 9th.jpg

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

2 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

There is a hole that I always had trouble with, as a matter of fact it's at one of the courses I play at with @mcanadiens. It's the 9th hole on the south course, decent length par 5 with OB left and a good sized pond on the right. The fairway is also split 2x and the shot to the green plays uphill. I typically either push my tee shot over into the pond or hook it OB. Then I'm left with too much distance to the green so I try to lay up, which basically never goes well. Typically I'm lucky to walk away with a bogey or double bogey. Last time we played it I was able to do get a birdie.

shelby oaks south 9th.jpg

Looks like a hole that I'd have to play to get on in 3 for sure. Looks like you had a great 2nd shot over those trees!  How far to clear a drive over the pond and into the fairway?

9 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

Looks like a hole that I'd have to play to get on in 3 for sure. Looks like you had a great 2nd shot over those trees!  How far to clear a drive over the pond and into the fairway?

To make it to the second fairway you'd need about 300 yards carry as my drive was 265 that day. The second shot was a draw so it didn't really go over the trees, I aimed at the bunker and it drew across.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!