IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

19 minutes ago, sarena1594 said:

Looks like a hole that I'd have to play to get on in 3 for sure. Looks like you had a great 2nd shot over those trees!  How far to clear a drive over the pond and into the fairway?

Yep. It's always the Par Plan (or maybe par hope) for me on that hole. While JB was had his birdie there. I skimmed a heart-stopper across the water, after my little pokey drive found the right rough. Can't remember, but I think I escaped with bogey. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Ball recommendation: Swapped a sleeve of balls with a buddy for a sleeve of his Callaway Supersoft.  Boy, I REALLY like them.  And when you consider going through a sleeve of ProV1 balls (well two balls) during my last round, the retail price on the Callaway Supersoft for $22 sounds like a better VALUE to me as well.

Callaway website says 2-piece ball, soft cover, 38 compression rating and it's BEST SELLING ball since introduction in 2014.  Playing one during league round I found it carried as far off the tee and with irons as a ProV1, actually hit a tad softer, chipped and putted equally as well as the ProV1.  Only nit was it might be a bit too soft off the putter.  It hit and held greens exceptionally well with short irons and wedges.

Have to buy a guitar stand, (road crew 'lost' one of them!) for my upcoming gig season (hey, it pays for golf all summer!) so I'll swing by the Golfsmith store and pick up a dozen.  If I'm still liking them after a running through an entire dozen, I'll buy more.

End of my free public service announcement.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Actually got to play at Seneca Hickory Stick course today for the first time. This course was rated the Sixth best new course in the nation by Golf Magazine. I only had enough time to play the front 9. I used the whites and shot a 44. I probably could have done better if my putting on three of the holes was better. I even 4 putted one of the holes. One thing is certain, the new clubs I acquired this past winter are really helping my game. I was able to get off some 230 - 250 yd drives with my new driver which was very satisfying.  Now that I familiarized my self with the front 9 at this course I have high hopes to score better my second time.

Edited by 9wood
  • Upvote 1

Shot an effortless 41 on the front nine today of a fairly easy course. Shot 42 on the front last week.

Back nine must be harder, because I shot 53 last week, but improved to 46 today.  I'll take my 41/46 over the 42/53 from last week. Biggest difference, I think was just keeping the ball in play. I also was striking irons better, which is what I've been working on (flattening my club plane- but the feel isn't quite there).

The putting numbers dropped, but that's because I was hitting greens more often, rather than chipping from greenside. I hit 7 GIR today, compared to just 3 last week. Keep the ball in play, and advance it up close to the green. Imagine that- makes a difference!

Time will tell if I can keep that rolling in the right direction. All depends if i can get this new feel solidified in my swing. I've found that by the back nine of a round, I am holding on for dear life with my swing. I'm just trying to get the club on the ball somewhat solidly, forgetting about my form. On the early holes, I'm rehearsing everything based on my lessons- hoping I can implement the moves. When I've got a decent score going, I get defensive and just try to get into the clubhouse with major damage!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

11 hours ago, RandallT said:

Shot an effortless 41 on the front nine today of a fairly easy course. Shot 42 on the front last week.

Back nine must be harder, because I shot 53 last week, but improved to 46 today.  I'll take my 41/46 over the 42/53 from last week. Biggest difference, I think was just keeping the ball in play. I also was striking irons better, which is what I've been working on (flattening my club plane- but the feel isn't quite there).

The putting numbers dropped, but that's because I was hitting greens more often, rather than chipping from greenside. I hit 7 GIR today, compared to just 3 last week. Keep the ball in play, and advance it up close to the green. Imagine that- makes a difference!

Time will tell if I can keep that rolling in the right direction. All depends if i can get this new feel solidified in my swing. I've found that by the back nine of a round, I am holding on for dear life with my swing. I'm just trying to get the club on the ball somewhat solidly, forgetting about my form. On the early holes, I'm rehearsing everything based on my lessons- hoping I can implement the moves. When I've got a decent score going, I get defensive and just try to get into the clubhouse with major damage!

nice work... I hope you keep it up as well!

Just a thought, are you snacking at all during the round? I've recently been more mindful to be nibbling on something every few holes and found that my swing has remained in tact much longer. Could be coincidental, but worth considering.

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

55 minutes ago, divot dave said:

Just a thought, are you snacking at all during the round? I've recently been more mindful to be nibbling on something every few holes and found that my swing has remained in tact much longer. Could be coincidental, but worth considering.

Good point! One day, I had some trail mix, but only nibbled a tiny bit. Both days I drank a fair amount- mostly water, but once some sports drink. 

I think there was a day when I was younger when I'd have sworn this didn't matter, as I had the stamina to do 4 hours without any real nourishment. Those days are gone, and I need to prep with good snacks and keep a flow going to avoid my body running out of steam. The back nine on this course is a bit tougher, but nothing near the way my scores show.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

On 5/11/2016 at 7:29 AM, divot dave said:

nice work... I hope you keep it up as well! Just a thought, are you snacking at all during the round? I've recently been more mindful to be nibbling on something every few holes and found that my swing has remained in tact much longer. Could be coincidental, but worth considering.

Mine might be borderline munching out versus snacking some rounds :content: haha but yes I do. I find that getting hungry during a round really distract me and I start hitting bad shots.

Played Southern Oaks in Easley, SC. It has become my home course lately and I really enjoy it. Especially during the week when it is $25 after 2 pm every day. I broke 90 for the second time so far, shooting a frustrating 47 on the front and a personal best 38 on the back. I contribute my better play to three main things.

• Purchased a Bushnell Neo GPS watch. Man was this thing sweet. Having exact yardages all around the hole was extremely helpful. Knowing I needed to hit an 80 yard shot versus guessing at a 70-90 really helped me on approach shots. I had a ton more 1-2 putts as a result. By the 3rd hole everyone in my foursome was asking for yardages. Had to cut that out quick though. I highly encourage any of you who don't have a range finder or gps to get one. $129 off Amazon.
  • Hit my driver much more consistently, but used it less than I normally would. Wide open or dogleg rights I brought out the ol banger and hit away. Tight fairways or dogleg lefts I used my 4 hybrid to keep it in play.
  • Had my first ever eagle on a 471 yard uphill par 5. Crushed a drive to within 160 with a huge uphill. Hit 5 hybrid to 5 feet from the pin and sunk the putt. I gave a couple tiger fist pumps after that one. 

Also I know I don't offer much input or help for other people. I don't think I am to qualified for that yet, but hopefully my personal experiences can help others in some way. 

• Upvote 2

Doesn't count as breaking 90 but I shot 5 over on an executive 18 and 3 over on an executive 9.  I seldom play full courses so I don't have that many opportunities to break 90.

5 over on a par 58 18 hole course:  https://www.gamegolf.com/player/fep/round/888181

3 over on a par 32 9 hole course: https://www.gamegolf.com/player/fep/round/888181

1 hour ago, CoachCad8 said:

Had my first ever eagle on a 471 yard uphill par 5. Crushed a drive to within 160 with a huge uphill. Hit 5 hybrid to 5 feet from the pin and sunk the putt. I gave a couple tiger fist pumps after that one. 

Wow! Congrats. That was some drive. I have a 470yd par 5 at my home course, and if I'm 200yds out for my 2nd shot, I consider that a huge drive. You can claim your eagle in the thread below:

You can read up on all the site achievements, and put yourself in for the recognition that shows up on the bottom of all your posts. I had an eagle in the 80s, but it was lucky, and I want to earn one in this century to claim the achievement. Yours was legit!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

33 minutes ago, RandallT said:

Wow! Congrats. That was some drive. I have a 470yd par 5 at my home course, and if I'm 200yds out for my 2nd shot, I consider that a huge drive. You can claim your eagle in the thread below:

You can read up on all the site achievements, and put yourself in for the recognition that shows up on the bottom of all your posts. I had an eagle in the 80s, but it was lucky, and I want to earn one in this century to claim the achievement. Yours was legit!

Awesome thanks for the heads up! I appreciate that. And yeah I was absolutely amazed. If I didn't have that new Bushnell watch I wouldn't have believed it myself. Was definitely my best drive ever. I think that gave me the confidence for the rest of the hole. 

4 minutes ago, CoachCad8 said:

Awesome thanks for the heads up! I appreciate that. And yeah I was absolutely amazed. If I didn't have that new Bushnell watch I wouldn't have believed it myself. Was definitely my best drive ever. I think that gave me the confidence for the rest of the hole. 

No sweat. Welcome to TST. This is definitely a fun thread to commiserate with and support each other with our games.  Not sure if you've stumbled onto this thread below, but it's an endless goldmine for things bogey golfers can learn:

Lots of us use the instruction found there as our foundation, and when comfortable here in the community, we eventually create a "My Swing" thread to document our progress, get some hints, and share the journey with others. You'd be amazed at the good feedback that comes in from some of the folks here. I believe you said you were a young guy, so you'd likely progress quickly with some of the guidance here- right out of this bogey-only thread! Even if you are a Clemson graduate. :beer: (UVA here)

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Well, I went through my scorecard from Thursday and found my playing partner added wrong on the back 9. It was a 48 not a 58, making the total 93 not 103. Granted I played poorly on the back 9 and had a couple of triples, but three pars. Even though the round was called "a day at the beach." I broke 100 this year!!!

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

17 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

Well, I went through my scorecard from Thursday and found my playing partner added wrong on the back 9. It was a 48 not a 58, making the total 93 not 103. Granted I played poorly on the back 9 and had a couple of triples, but three pars. Even though the round was called "a day at the beach." I broke 100 this year!!!

You'll end up scoring lower than 90 before the end of the year

I'm in Puerto Vallarta for vacation right now.  My first round, on Sunday, was a 49-42 at El Tigre (boring course).  My second round, yesterday, was a 41-43 at Vallarta Vista (Weiskopf), with 3 three putts!  Sadly, I played both rounds alone, so cannot post them to GHIN :-)

2 hours ago, tdiii said:

I'm in Puerto Vallarta for vacation right now.  My first round, on Sunday, was a 49-42 at El Tigre (boring course).  My second round, yesterday, was a 41-43 at Vallarta Vista (Weiskopf), with 3 three putts!  Sadly, I played both rounds alone, so cannot post them to GHIN :-)

you're almost ready to retire from this thread... nice work

• Upvote 1

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

45 minutes ago, divot dave said:

you're almost ready to retire from this thread... nice work

I think a lot of us have been bogey golfers so long that we'll always be bogey golfers at heart, still following the thread when our handicaps dip into single digits! When, not if :whistle:

I've only put 2 rounds in Game Golf. I average 91, but they gave me a sub-12 index. Interesting. I'll hopefully get a round in this week to see what happens after the next data gets added. With so few rounds, it's probably not too accurate.

My Swing

52 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I think a lot of us have been bogey golfers so long that we'll always be bogey golfers at heart, still following the thread when our handicaps dip into single digits! When, not if :whistle:

I've only put 2 rounds in Game Golf. I average 91, but they gave me a sub-12 index. Interesting. I'll hopefully get a round in this week to see what happens after the next data gets added. With so few rounds, it's probably not too accurate.

It's kind of strange for me too.  HI is 17.3, Game Golf has me at 13.6.

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

I still follow it, but except for this post was told not to. . . :-(

However, since I am no longer technically a single digit when rounding my GHIN index up, I can sneak in every now and then. One could say that I bladed those 3 chips and hit that ball OB two rounds ago just to be with you guys again. :beer:

Although, I should probably not have bladed those chips, and am now hoping that the handicap committee doesn't find out when I start playing tournaments. . . :-D

It's possible that the CR is messed up if you took many shots to get to the green. For instance, if you took 50 yards more per hole or something like that it could have you playing a course that is 900 yards longer? GG has me at 8.5, and I know that's wrong. :-P

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!