IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Congratulations! I would write it down and look at it before you start the next round. That elbow close to body reminds me of the swing on "how short hitting bad golfers break 90 all the time" book.

Sounds like you had a good time!

• Upvote 1

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Right elbow close to the body does tend to be something that helps a lot of us. Helps me to promote a more inside to out swing and generates more swing speed as well. 

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

27 minutes ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Right elbow close to the body does tend to be something that helps a lot of us. Helps me to promote a more inside to out swing and generates more swing speed as well. 

Yeah, those are good things.  I'm going to experiment with "right elbow close" swing thought.

54 minutes ago, No Mulligans said:

Yeah, those are good things.  I'm going to experiment with "right elbow close" swing thought.

Today, I went to a round with only that thought - right elbow close.  I am going to try a few more more times to make it a permanent change.   It's amazing how many things you work on, forget it, and must re-work on.   Say, you had a rapid golf improvement.   Are you hitting a wall at mid-bogey golf level or are you still improving like crazy?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On 5/26/2016 at 10:08 AM, divot dave said:

yes, we need to... so here's some brainstorming thoughts.

Its similar to bi-polar disorder so maybe some sort of medical terminology like "swing schizophrenia" 

it seemingly comes out of no-where so the word "phantom" comes to mind... like "phantom golfer syndrome"

I often feel like Charles Barkley standing over my ball when these symptoms strike: "Barkley manifestation"... or "summoned my inner Charles" ???

just throwing out some ideas. 

I was thinking maybe something in German, since they're good at these words that have no English equivalent (schadenfreude, my favorite):

http://www.businessinsider.com/german-expressions-that-have-no-good-english-equivalent-2014-9

The Germans are famous for using long words used to describe hyper-specific, complex sentiments. For instance, the 26-letter word Vergangenheitsbewaeltigung describes the inability to cope with the past. And, of course, schadenfreude reflects the happiness you derive from somebody else's pain. 

In honor of the 181st Oktoberfest that kicked off in Munich earlier this week, we haveentmystifiziert or "demystified" our favorite Deutsch expressions that have no clear English meaning. Here are some mehr of our favorite German words:

1. Sauregurkenzeit

A typical German vacation, which can last anywhere from 3-6 weeks in July through August, is referred to as the Sauregurkenzeit. This literally translates to "pickle time," possibly because cucumbers come into season in the summer. This is the "off-season" where there is nothing happening because everyone is away. Washington, D.C. experiences a Sauregurkenzeit during Congress' 5-week summer recess.

2. Frühjahrsmüdigkeit

This 18-letter word is used to describe a general sense of weariness in the springtime, specifically between mid-March through mid-April. In German, the word Frühjahr means "springtime," and Müdigkeit means "tiredness." Conjoined, Frühjahrsmüdigkeit is "springtime lethargy."

3. Geisterbahnhöfe

Simply cutting this word in half, you have geister meaning "ghost" and bahnhof meaning "station." However, the conjoined word has a darker meaning that stems from the Cold War-era when free movement between East and West Germany was severed with the construction of the Berlin Wall in 1961. German police heavily guarded the derelict Eastern train stations, which were surrounded by barbed wire and called Geisterbahnhöfe....

....more....

15 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Today, I went to a round with only that thought - right elbow close.  I am going to try a few more more times to make it a permanent change.   It's amazing how many things you work on, forget it, and must re-work on.   

I'm working on getting less steep, and I've found that the right elbow has been a good feel for that. If I make sure my right elbow even drives in close to my body coming down from A4, that helps get me feel like I can more easily drop the club down a bit to flatten it. Once I forget this and my elbow does what it wants to do naturally, I tend to yank the club downward and that steepens the shaft by A5. So the right elbow has been pretty key for me this past month- although I've not yet confirmed the progress with the instructor. Range has been too crowded for face on video!!!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Birdie on front side (par 5) and birdie on back nine (par 4) and still carded 86.  If I can eliminate the couple of 'disaster holes' we'll be in business.

Disaster hole examples: Par-5.  Driver down the middle; 5-wood just short and right of green left me pin-high right, 10 yards short of pond with a bunker between my ball and the pin.  Ball was in fairly deep rough, so I opened up the face on my 58* wedge, took a pretty full swing and SHANKED it into the water.  Pulled out for 4, hit on for 5 and 2-putted for a double that should have never happened.

On the back nine, the maint guys are working on the sprinklers, flushing them or something.  Hit a crappy heel shot drive that went about 180.  Next shot over a ravine barely made it due to thinned 5-wood.  Still miles from the green with an uphill (all the way to the green, mind you) lie and pull-hooked the next 5-wood way left and had to chip out.  9-iron just short and right of the green.  Flat chip to hole so I used PW.  Hit it to 6" and finished out for another cool double on a par-5.

Next hole is a near 90-degree dogleg left.  Sliced a drive (very rare for me) which turned a 375 yard par-4 into a par 5 for me.  Rolled a 7-wood, hit next shot into bunker right, blasted out then THREE-PUTTED (only 3-putt of the day) for triple bogey 7.

Last three hole par, bogey, par to finish at 86.  I don't like to play woulda, coulda, shouda and the 86 is what it is.  I just need to take several swings more seriously and not so much for granted.  Especially that shank into the water when I'm greenside in 2 on a par 5.  Thinking birdie and carding double.  That was just a stupid mistake.

Let's hope next round is as good and I can limit the unforced errors.  I'll let you know.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

As I am sitting here contemplating my round of golf tomorrow I am devising a game plan which will enable me to shoot my lowest score ever. In order to do that I have to score below 86. However as for my game plan, I will play a smart round and always keep the ball on the fairway. I will not take any low percentage high risk shots. In my mind before each shot I will remind myself of the set up motions for each shot and analyze each ball lie followed by a couple of practice swings before I take my actual shot which will produce the desires results. I will make good ball contact and not hit the ball thin or fat. I will keep my right elbow tucked in close to my body on my down swing and hit the ball straight. 

Yep that should do it.

• Upvote 1

42 minutes ago, 9wood said:

As I am sitting here contemplating my round of golf tomorrow I am devising a game plan which will enable me to shoot my lowest score ever. In order to do that I have to score below 86. However as for my game plan, I will play a smart round and always keep the ball on the fairway. I will not take any low percentage high risk shots. In my mind before each shot I will remind myself of the set up motions for each shot and analyze each ball lie followed by a couple of practice swings before I take my actual shot which will produce the desires results. I will make good ball contact and not hit the ball thin or fat. I will keep my right elbow tucked in close to my body on my down swing and hit the ball straight. 

Yep that should do it.

Yep right up to the point you slice your first drive into the woods.  I'm guessing / hoping this is your form of sarcasm.  

In case it's not, we can game plan all we want but in the end we have to play the ball where it lies and since even the pro's can't keep it in the fairway an entire round.   A game plan that assumes you will only be on the fairway is likely a plan that won't be very effective.  

Joe Paradiso

Been scoring around 41,42 etc... so yesterday I go out and feel GREAT! I'm playing decently - slightly below my average bogey golf. I invite two people behind me to join me. We all make par on a par 3 (great!). Then wheels start coming off. The worst was when I go to the par 5 and realize I am always right of the fairway so I align left - tee up a brand new ball - proceed to hook it into a tree and the ball is then lost. End up scoring 2 over on a par 5. Then proceed to double bogey next hole. On one of the par 5, I hit a perfect drive, perfect 3 wood and then chunk the wedge. Then 2 putt for bogey. Terrible.

There is another problem that sometimes happens. At first distance control is easy with putting then all of a sudden, it's bad - doesn't happen all the time, but it just pops out of nowhere.

Edited by 808hacker

Had a pretty decent round today. Was a day of near misses though. I had 50% Fairways so that was good, however I did struggle on approaches only hitting 28% GIR. I had a few chips/pitches that were just a little long or short which lead to at least one extra stroke on those holes. I also had a few very near misses on putts but was still able to keep end up with 1.89 pph. I was pretty happy overall, even though it was a 93 given how close I was to knocking about 4 or 5 more strokes off of that helped keep me from being too disappointed. My trend right now is that approaches and short game are costing me the most, but I feel like those two things will come around. Really feels like I'm on the verge of my next index drop. Actually having found two things to focus on to fix my priority piece is having some significant impact already.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

8 hours ago, 9wood said:

Yep that should do it.

Good luck with it and report your result, please.   I have similar plans but they get ignored too often.   Such is golf.

In the last 3 rounds, my only swing thought was to keep my right elbow close to body during swing.   I can't say I kept to my promise.   Before I knew it, I forgot about the thought for 2 - 3 hole before I had remind myself again.   But I am still happy with the result.   2 of the 3 rounds were excellent round.  They staved me off from rejoining bogey golfer status.   My next official HI is still going to be below 16 - hooray.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On 5/28/2016 at 9:11 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

This is one of 3 things I focus on with my swing. I find if I think about more than these 3, I get sloppy and start miss-hitting. 

1) Forward press right before I begin my backswing

2) Right elbow down to my body when starting my downswing

3) Crossing the forearms at impact to close the face and create power in the swing. 

On 5/29/2016 at 2:19 PM, RandallT said:

I was thinking maybe something in German, since they're good at these words that have no English equivalent (schadenfreude, my favorite):

http://www.businessinsider.com/german-expressions-that-have-no-good-english-equivalent-2014-9

Haha, nice, my only concern is I might not ever be in the mood to wrestle with some of those German-spelled words when describing my game! 

lol

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

Like others, had another decent round yesterday.  It was a 'no excuses' day.  80 degrees, a pleasant breeze of 5-7 mph rolled through the trees every now and then, perfectly sunny.  No available excuse to play bad.  Except for pace.  Course was packed and backed up all round long by a dad and two 12-year-olds both with anger-management issues.

Even though it was just under 5 hours to complete 18, made a birdie on both front and back nines, (second round in a row with two birdies) eliminated all but one disaster hole.

Front nine - 6 straight bogies then finished par, bogie, birdie. 42 on front side.

Back nine - 4 pars, 3 bogies, a birdie and a double on 18.  Ouch!  18 is a way downhill par-3 to a narrow, but really deep green.  Hard to make a good club selection.  I chose correct and overcooked a wedge left and into a creek that is 10' below the green surface.  Had to take a drop, chipped on and 2-putted for a double. 41 on back.

First sub-85 round of the season.  Hoping for plenty more.

dave

• Upvote 2

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

2 hours ago, dave s said:

Like others, had another decent round yesterday.  It was a 'no excuses' day.  80 degrees, a pleasant breeze of 5-7 mph rolled through the trees every now and then, perfectly sunny.  No available excuse to play bad.  Except for pace.  Course was packed and backed up all round long by a dad and two 12-year-olds both with anger-management issues.

Even though it was just under 5 hours to complete 18, made a birdie on both front and back nines, (second round in a row with two birdies) eliminated all but one disaster hole.

Front nine - 6 straight bogies then finished par, bogie, birdie. 42 on front side.

Back nine - 4 pars, 3 bogies, a birdie and a double on 18.  Ouch!  18 is a way downhill par-3 to a narrow, but really deep green.  Hard to make a good club selection.  I chose correct and overcooked a wedge left and into a creek that is 10' below the green surface.  Had to take a drop, chipped on and 2-putted for a double. 41 on back.

First sub-85 round of the season.  Hoping for plenty more.

dave

great job!! need to hear more good reports like that!

IN MY BAG

Ugly.  

It was entirely too hot and humid for me yesterday and I tanked.  Second consecutive triple-digit round for me.  

50 - 54 = 104

I hit no greens in regulation.  My driver was a two-way miss all day and I couldn't get it under control.  Irons were either right or heavy all day.  The only thing that kept me even remotely close to cracking 100 (until my last 3 holes) was my short game.  

Oddly enough, I only took 3 penalty strokes yesterday.  It was just ugly from tee to green and those strokes add up in a hurry.  

Going on vacation Friday.  I'll be playing a round on Wednesday morning while away and then coming back and playing a tournament the following Monday.  Hope I figure it out before then.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

On 5/30/2016 at 1:34 PM, 9wood said:

Yep that should do it.

hey, just wondering how your round turned out?

IN MY BAG

+7 42 tonight, focusing on keeping right elbow tight to my side on the downswing is still paying dividends on the course. Hit a lot of good shots with a scattering of not so good shots. Averaged 274 with the driver tonight and hit 57% of the fairways but only 22% GIR. Struggled with hitting greens because you have to land short and bounce on at this course, kept misjudging and landing a bit short or a little to the side. Still ended up closer than if I had hit the green and rolled off the back. Given that, I ended up with 1.67 pph but only 14% scrambling due to a couple bad chips. Really feels like I'm teetering on the edge of playing better golf. I need to get out and work on my partial swing wedge game so I can get more confidence over shots that are 30-70 yards out.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

Note: This thread is 1020 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!