IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Maddening game.  7 of my last 10 scores had counted toward my index, which is down to 14.9.  I'd also shot an 84 whilst alone that I couldn't post.  And then I went out yesterday afternoon and shot 104 with a birdie!  Highlights included 2 hosel rockets and a return of my good friend the chunked chip. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

2 hours ago, tdiii said:

Maddening game.  7 of my last 10 scores had counted toward my index, which is down to 14.9.  I'd also shot an 84 whilst alone that I couldn't post.  And then I went out yesterday afternoon and shot 104 with a birdie!  Highlights included 2 hosel rockets and a return of my good friend the chunked chip. 

I can feel your pain.  My last 10 differentials...22.6, 16.6, 8.9, 21.4, 18, 33.9!, 12.3, 20.2, 22.1, 20.3.

For a brief moment there I thought I was getting pretty good.

1 minute ago, No Mulligans said:

My last differentials... 8.9. . . 33.9!

Um.  Wow. 

I have a couple of my lower differentials coming up, depending on how things go I could potentially start looking at a trend upwards. Next weekend I'll be taking part of the first tournament with @mcanadiensin a member guest. So, we'll see how well my current game holds up to these upcoming tests.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Good evening all. I've been observing the forum and this thread in particular for a while, but decided to join today. I've just been awarded my first official handicap having decided to give this game a real go after years of playing once or twice a summer.

I shot a really pleasing 87 today from the white comp tees, including a galling 9 on the 18th, and was given a HC of 12...which seems a bit low to me, as I still do consider breaking 90 as a barometer of success. A guy in the bar said the fact my qualifying rounds were off the Comp tees would have something to do with it.

I'll keep you all updated on how I cope with this lofty HC!

7 hours ago, Hazsa said:

Good evening all. I've been observing the forum and this thread in particular for a while, but decided to join today. I've just been awarded my first official handicap having decided to give this game a real go after years of playing once or twice a summer.

I shot a really pleasing 87 today from the white comp tees, including a galling 9 on the 18th, and was given a HC of 12...which seems a bit low to me, as I still do consider breaking 90 as a barometer of success. A guy in the bar said the fact my qualifying rounds were off the Comp tees would have something to do with it.

I'll keep you all updated on how I cope with this lofty HC!

Welcome! Let us know how your comps go and what your index ends up settling at. 

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I am going to declare that I am out of bogey golf land.  It has been 2+ years since I started this thread.  During the span, my HI oscillated between 16 & 22.   For the last 2+ months, my HI has been in 15s.   Given how I am playing, I believe I can stay below 16 HI for now, knock on wood.   However, I will continue to post in this thread and keep track of how some of you are doing.   Keep it up folks.   If I can do it, you all certainly can break out of the bogey golfer land.   My best wishes to you all!

• Upvote 2

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

7 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I am going to declare that I am out of bogey golf land.  It has been 2+ years since I started this thread.  During the span, my HI oscillated between 16 & 22.   For the last 2+ months, my HI has been in 15s.   Given how I am playing, I believe I can stay below 16 HI for now, knock on wood.   However, I will continue to post in this thread and keep track of how some of you are doing.   Keep it up folks.   If I can do it, you all certainly can break out of the bogey golfer land.   My best wishes to you all!

Congratulations on your accomplishment. I hope to join you soon, as I seem to be trending that way myself.

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

8 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Congrats, we will keep the thread going strong.  Glad to see retirement has had a positive impact on your golf game. 

Joe Paradiso

Woohoo I can finally join this thread. I finally broke 90 this past week after being so close for a few times I just couldn't finishi it off. I shot a +12 on the front 9 but got in a good rythm on the back and shot the best I ever have on 9 holes and went +5. Just shows I have the potental to shoot a lot lower than what I do.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Slowcelica said:

Woohoo I can finally join this thread. I finally broke 90 this past week after being so close for a few times I just couldn't finishi it off. I shot a +12 on the front 9 but got in a good rythm on the back and shot the best I ever have on 9 holes and went +5. Just shows I have the potental to shoot a lot lower than what I do.

Nice, congrats!

shot a really frustrating +9 45 over 9 holes tonight. The 3 doubles all came after perfect drives. Really poor with wedges/ short irons, which are usually a strength. Still, a birdie at the par 5 9th made all the frustration worth it.

16 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Yes, I concur with the others- awesome news. Don't I recall the USGA having a thing on their site that says for a given player's course handicap, that their average is likely to be 3 strokes above that? So a player who is a 15 on a specific course setup will average 18 over par (bogey golf!).

So my question is: should the moderators change the title to "HI from 15-22" and suck you right back in? 

But seriously, cheers!!! :beer:

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

5 hours ago, RandallT said:

Yes, I concur with the others- awesome news. Don't I recall the USGA having a thing on their site that says for a given player's course handicap, that their average is likely to be 3 strokes above that? So a player who is a 15 on a specific course setup will average 18 over par (bogey golf!).

So my question is: should the moderators change the title to "HI from 15-22" and suck you right back in? 

Thanks, Randy.   I am aware that there are many definitions of bogey golf.   I beat the one I defined :-D.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

14 hours ago, RandallT said:

Cruel!  lol

On 6/6/2016 at 0:31 AM, rkim291968 said:

congratulations... hope you keep up the good work!

You should start a "breaking 80" thread now - or "the official reaching single digit handicap" thread... :smartass:

• Upvote 1

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

I started playing just over two years ago, at 70. I took lessons and have put a lot of effort into it. But my progress has been slow. The best tip I can impart is the importance of strength training. I do dead weight lifts and sit-ups, but I am pretty sure the most important exercise for my distance is the torso twist, where you sit and pull up weight plates on a cable by twisting. These side muscles might be the most important for swing speed. They are large, but not normally used for anything, so they are flabby. I think I have doubled my strength and seem to drive and hit irons further than just about everybody my age I play with. But then once in a while I get matched up with some kid who hits 300 yards and I feel like repairing to a rocking chair and staying there.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Covert said:

I started playing just over two years ago, at 70. I took lessons and have put a lot of effort into it. But my progress has been slow. The best tip I can impart is the importance of strength training. I do dead weight lifts and sit-ups, but I am pretty sure the most important exercise for my distance is the torso twist, where you sit and pull up weight plates on a cable by twisting. These side muscles might be the most important for swing speed. They are large, but not normally used for anything, so they are flabby. I think I have doubled my strength and seem to drive and hit irons further than just about everybody my age I play with. But then once in a while I get matched up with some kid who hits 300 yards and I feel like repairing to a rocking chair and staying there.

You made a huge progress so far.  Importance of strength training to golf can't be ignored.  As a bonus, it should be really good for health.   I have been doing weight training for some time and it has helped hit longer for sure. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Today, having a decent round - nothing spectacular - well maybe that PUTT from the sand trap into the hole, but doing OK. Driver is SOLID in terms of aim so I am using it in tight situations. Then I get to the 16th hole. All holes backed up and the guy in front asks me if I want to join. I do and immediately slice into another fairway, then hit a tree etc... In 3 holes I end up with two triple bogeys!!!!!!! 

So irritating and maddening! What the????

End up with 92 and feeling crappy.

Note: This thread is 1019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!