IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note:Β This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!

On 13/06/2016 at 10:37 PM, Braivo said:

I played a local par 3 course with my daughter yesterday. It's amazing that I am still roughly a bogey golfer even when every hole is between 50 and 100 yds in length.Β 

This is, I think, extremely useful to know where you're losing your shots of a full course. Do you miss greens from 50-100 yards? How often do you get up and down? Do you 3 putt? Do you take it less seriously because it's a local par 3 and you're not 100% focused?

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

5 hours ago, roamin said:

This. WTH, right?!

I know, amazing how that works.Β 

5 hours ago, alleztom said:

This is, I think, extremely useful to know where you're losing your shots of a full course. Do you miss greens from 50-100 yards? How often do you get up and down? Do you 3 putt? Do you take it less seriously because it's a local par 3 and you're not 100% focused?

Right, it's hard to tell 100% because I was teaching my daughter and not fully focused. That being said it is a very easy course with flat greens and no hazards, etc. I probably hit 6 of the 18 GIR, so that should tell me something right there, I am not good from under 100yds. I am actually better from 120 where I can take a full swing PW.Β 

- Mark

13 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Played 9 holes after work, wasn't hitting the driver very well mostly but kept it mostlyΒ out of trouble. Only real hiccups were a 3 putt on 5 and Β gettingΒ greedy on the 2nd shot on 8 and hitting aΒ low runner into the pond. Walked off the 9th green carding a 3 over 39.

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/jeremie/round/973011

nice work!Β :beer:

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

5 hours ago, Braivo said:

I know, amazing how that works.Β 

Right, it's hard to tell 100% because I was teaching my daughter and not fully focused. That being said it is a very easy course with flat greens and no hazards, etc. I probably hit 6 of the 18 GIR, so that should tell me something right there, I am not good from under 100yds. I am actually better from 120 where I can take a full swing PW.Β 

Some interesting and geeky numbers to throw out based on analyzing a bunch of rounds of folks here last season (rkim, billchao, rfkfreak, fairway_cy, etc). Our collective average score was 97. Make of it what you will, but it summarizes 28 rounds of data on fairly typical courses that we play.Β Lots of interesting data below so it shows the benchmark for a player who shoots a bit better than 100. Β 

Look at the "Your Score from Range" row for each block.

20-60yds: 3.10 strokes average to hole out

60-120yds: 3.63

120-170yds: 3.88

Our average proximity for the 60-120yd shots was 60ft!Β 

While we are better than "bogey golf" from the 120-170yd range, that's a wide range, and our tipping point is likely about 155? Just a guess.

But in the 60-120yd range, we are only hitting the green 40% of the time. Lots of improvement needed there.

Interestingly, in the last column "Per Round," it appear we get more chances per round generally in the 120-170yd range. And that's where we lose the most strokes too.

Β 

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 10.04.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 9.59.24 AM.png

So @Braivo, you might think you're stinking it up in close to the hole, but it'd be interesting to see how you compare (particularly in greens hit from these ranges and proximity to hole). The only way to tell is to track it though. A bit of effort, but can be fun, if so inclined.

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

1 hour ago, divot dave said:

nice work!Β :beer:

Thanks, was strange because I didn't even feel like I was playing very well. I didn't even realize what my score was until I caught a couple of guys in front of me on the 8th tee and asked how they were doing and they asked me how I was doing. Probably explains why I got greedy on the 2nd shot on 8, being 1 over before I teed off I thought I could easily get back to even as long as I made the green in 2... I imagine this was more of a blip on the screen and I'll go back to my normal scores, but it was nice to see a sub-40 9 hole score.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon:Β Z355

:callaway:Β XR16 3 Wood
:tmade:Β AeroburnerΒ 19* 3 hybrid
:ping:Β I e1 ironsΒ 4-PW
:vokey:Β SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff:Β Harmonized Sole GrindΒ 56 andΒ Windy City Putter

2 hours ago, RandallT said:

Some interesting and geeky numbers to throw out based on analyzing a bunch of rounds of folks here last season (rkim, billchao, rfkfreak, fairway_cy, etc). Our collective average score was 97. Make of it what you will, but it summarizes 28 rounds of data on fairly typical courses that we play.Β Lots of interesting data below so it shows the benchmark for a player who shoots a bit better than 100. Β 

Look at the "Your Score from Range" row for each block.

20-60yds: 3.10 strokes average to hole out

60-120yds: 3.63

120-170yds: 3.88

Our average proximity for the 60-120yd shots was 60ft!Β 

While we are better than "bogey golf" from the 120-170yd range, that's a wide range, and our tipping point is likely about 155? Just a guess.

But in the 60-120yd range, we are only hitting the green 40% of the time. Lots of improvement needed there.

Interestingly, in the last column "Per Round," it appear we get more chances per round generally in the 120-170yd range. And that's where we lose the most strokes too.

Β 

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 10.04.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2016-06-16 at 9.59.24 AM.png

So @Braivo, you might think you're stinking it up in close to the hole, but it'd be interesting to see how you compare (particularly in greens hit from these ranges and proximity to hole). The only way to tell is to track it though. A bit of effort, but can be fun, if so inclined.

Great analysis, thank you for sharing this. In my particular round I averaged 3.8 shots from, I would say, anΒ average of 75 yds out. I'll have to track over time to see if there is any trends that show a gap in my game. Β Do you use Game Golf for this?

• Upvote 1

- Mark

8 hours ago, Braivo said:

Use a gap wedge or a 52 from 100 yards then.

:ping:Β  :tmade:Β Β :callaway:Β Β Β :gamegolf:Β Β :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Yeah, bit of a return to reality but also reminded that weather can really screw me up.Β  Made some mistakes/bad shots but damn the wind was crazy and unpredictable. It never seemed to come from any direction consistently. I mean a good drive on 15 that got pushed way right and stopped short then a 9 iron 2 shots later that flies 174?? And last hole I crushed a drive that only went 234 then a 7 iron approach that goes 180+?? All in all, given the wind and the cooler temperatures I'm not going to get upset about the score. The two guys I played against tonight were just as baffled by the wind as I was. One second the wind is in our face, the next it's behind us, the next it's off the right, and a few seconds later off the left.... Was impossible to plan for what the wind was going to do to my shot and made me really wish I knew how to hit low flighted shots. All that said, I beat both of them and they had better handicaps than I do on the course :-)

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

21 hours ago, Braivo said:

Do you use Game Golf for this?

We used GG for the shot info in some cases, but basically a home-grown spreadsheet. TheΒ hardest part is just entering the distance and lie of each shot, but all the rest calculates. GG gives better visualizations of how you hit each club, or how you hit from each distance, but this gives you better raw numbers on how often you hit the green (or get near the green) from each distance. Can be eye-opening to see your actual proximity from 100yds, for example. It's much further than we might think, oftentimes. But to get the info, you've gotta track every shot for a bunch of rounds- some bit of effort there.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver:Β :ping:Β G30, Irons:Β :tmade:Β Burner 2.0, Putter:Β :cleveland:, Balls:Β :snell:

Had a pretty decent round today, even though it was crazy windy. The woman in the clubhouse mentioned after I finished playing that we had gusts of 20-30 mph out there. I finished up with an 87 with 2 lost balls in the last 3 holes. One was from wind push, the other was just a stupid mistake on my part. I tried hitting a knockdown shot on the par 3 18th and hit the ball straight to the right. The second tee shot was perfect, online but just a few feet short of perfect. So, take those two things away and I was looking at an 83. Was a great day putting with only 28 putts, read my lines almost perfectly just struggled at hitting them with enough pace. So could have easily had about 4 less shots had I given those a little more pace.Β A lot stopped within 6 inches of the hole. All-in-all, not a bad day on the course.

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:

19 hours ago, Jeremie Boop said:

Had a pretty decent round today, even though it was crazy windy. The woman in the clubhouse mentioned after I finished playing that we had gusts of 20-30 mph out there. I finished up with an 87 with 2 lost balls in the last 3 holes.

To me, that much wind usually means 3 - 5 strokes worse than usual score. Β If the wind direction & force changes Β every other second (like at my course), the score may really suffer. Β Β You did well, considering. Β Β 

Β 

Β 

I hit about 70 balls yesterday at range and couldn't hit a single shot that went straight. Β I could not fix it at the range. Β After I calmed down at home, I tried some mirror work and found that, again, it was my wrist at the top that caused the problem. Β  Sigh.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

So, with the winnings from my tournament last week, I bought myself 2 new Vokey wedges (54* and 58*) after playing the TaylorMade RAC wedges (52* and 56*) for about 6 years. Β 

On Sunday, my wife surprised me with a Ping G30 driver with a Tour 65 shaft. Β I went out to the range that morning to try the clubs out. Β I had a few issues with the driver because it was so much shorter than my TaylorMade Burner Superfast that I had been playing for 4+ years. Β I only hit a small bucket that day, and my daughters hit some of them, so... I didn't really get much work in. Β 

This morning, I decided to head out to a local course I haven't played in awhile and get some 'on course' work in. Β 

It wasn't great... but overall, it wasn't horrible. Β After some early issues with the driver, I got things kinda turned around. Β I finished hitting 7 of 13 fairways (6 of 12 with the driver) and I hit some pretty solid shots. Β My short game had some issues because I obviously don't have my distances dialed in with the wedges yet, but... I did manage to pitch in from off the 11th green (on my 2nd try). Β 

I shot a 47 - 55 = 102 on a not so difficult course, despite what the rating and slope suggest (72.0 / 136). Β I wasted a lot of shots on penalties, but most of them were on approach shots, as opposed to tee shots (which is my normal issue). Β 

My index, which is down to a 15.4 now (my lowest ever), is trending to a 16.5 (because my 8.9 differential from this spring is dropping off) with a few rounds to be played before the next revision. Β 

I've got a two-day tournament this weekend that I'm hoping to be in contention for, but... after the way I played today, I'm not so confident.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71Β - Pine IslandΒ Country Club - 6/25/2022
-Β 9 HolesΒ - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Β 

2 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

On Sunday, my wife surprised me with a Ping G30 driver with a Tour 65 shaft.

Hey!!!!

You had a Ping G30 driver windfall too. Which head do you have?Β SF-Tec, LS-Tec, or Standard? What loft?Β 

Mine:Β SF Tec, Tour65 regular flex shaft, 10degree loft, standard length.

Β 

My Swing

29 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

So, with the winnings from my tournament last week,Β 

On Sunday, my wife surprised me with a Ping G30 driver with a Tour 65 shaft. Β 

You lucky b*****d! Β Β :beer:Β  Β Good luck with your tournament.

Β 

I got knocked off from a match play tournament. Β  Played against a well known sandbagger. Β The end result was predictable. Β Β 

Re-reading LSW to see if I can improve my HI more. Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Hey!!!!

You had a Ping G30 driver windfall too. Which head do you have?Β SF-Tec, LS-Tec, or Standard? What loft?Β 

Mine:Β SF Tec, Tour65 regular flex shaft, 10degree loft, standard length.

Β 

I have the standard head... 9 degree... standard length... Tour 65 stiff shaft.

I just read your comparison/review. I feelΒ very similarly.

With the Burner Superfast 2.0 I had been playing for a long time, the sound and feel were just 'normal' to me.Β 

With the G30, the sound is a little off' to me... a little higher pitch as opposed to the 'thwack' I was accustomed to. The feel is also a bit different but in a good way. It's almost 'buttery' as opposed to the feel on all but perfect shots with the TaylorMade.

I didn't hit any perfectly today and yet I had a number of drives between 260 and 280 yards. I had to hit one on the screws with my old driver to get there.

I love the club. I'm looking forward to getting more rounds in with it in the next few weeks.

7 minutes ago, rkim291968 said:

You lucky b*****d! Β Β :beer:Β  Β Good luck with your tournament.

Β 

I got knocked off from a match play tournament. Β  Played against a well known sandbagger. Β The end result was predictable. Β Β 

Re-reading LSW to see if I can improve my HI more. Β 

Β 

Β 

Β 

She's a keeper who picks up the hints I drop.

:-)

CY

Edited by Fairway_CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71Β - Pine IslandΒ Country Club - 6/25/2022
-Β 9 HolesΒ - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Β 

Tonight was a typical night for me..:mellow:. Β  Β  I subbed in a 9 hole league. Β I hit every fairway and nGIR on every hole except 9 where I took a penalty for my second shot into a creek about 100 yards short of the green on a par 5. Β 

On

#1 I was only 20 yards off the green in 2 and ended with a double bogie.

#2 par

#3 par

#4 par

#5 birdie

#6 10 yards off of the green and ended with a double bogie.

#7 bogie, missed the green on my short approach shot

#8 par 3, 2 sand shots ended with a double bogie

#9 par 5 - mental lapse, 4 putts!

I ended with a 45, but wasn't happy because of what could have been. Β I'm happier with my ball striking but my chipping and putting is costing me. Β  Is this typical for a bogie golfer? Β Obviously, I know my weakness but I try to practice chipping and putting about 3 hours per week. Β  I'm still not getting better. Β Β :~(

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

11 hours ago, dennyjones said:

I ended with a 45, but wasn't happy because of what could have been. Β I'm happier with my ball striking but my chipping and putting is costing me. Β  Is this typical for a bogie golfer? Β Obviously, I know my weakness but I try to practice chipping and putting about 3 hours per week. Β  I'm still not getting better. Β Β :~(

Its certainly not atypical (IMO). But 3 hours per week and no progress might also suggest that your practice method(s) may need evaluation. Have you taken any lessons for your short game?Β 

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

I've taken several lessons but not any short game lessons. Β  Β I never really gave a thought to short game lessons but it sounds like it's what I need. Β  Β I was thinking if I could hit a full shot or even a knock down shot, a easy chip should be easy....not for me. Β  Β I'll look into it. Β  Thanks for the suggestion.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.Β Β  I'm Denny

Note:Β This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic.Β Thank you!