IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

12 hours ago, Braivo said:

I recently played an 18 hole par 3 course where they longest hole is 100 yards. This is the equivalant of starting every par 4 with a 300 yard drive straight down the middle. I still played bogey golf. This game is hard we can give shots away anywhere on the course. 

2 hours ago, natureboy said:

Yeah, but greens are likely proportionally smaller too.

True, your short game doesn't magically get better on a par 3 course, and possibly worse in some cases. If your drive is reasonable, your performance on a par 3 is not that much different than a standard course.

The flip side is smaller greens can also save some putts once you hit them.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, natureboy said:

Yeah, but greens are likely proportionally smaller too.

4 hours ago, Lihu said:

True, your short game doesn't magically get better on a par 3 course, and possibly worse in some cases. If your drive is reasonable, your performance on a par 3 is not that much different than a standard course.

Yes, tiny greens played a role for sure. If I missed the green off the tee the chipping was very difficult as there was no fringe to work with either, just a 20ft x 20ft square green surrounded by rough. 

- Mark

10 hours ago, Lihu said:

It's the same distance to the pin large or small green. It's just that the average GIR proximity will be closer so your PPGIR will be better. If your short game / chipping is solid then your PPH / PPR will likely decrease.

Kevin

19 minutes ago, natureboy said:

It's the same distance to the pin large or small green. It's just that the average GIR proximity will be closer so your PPGIR will be better. If your short game / chipping is solid then your PPH / PPR will likely decrease.

The smallest flaws stick out like a sore thumb.

Unfortunately, my closest to the pin last night was on a 156 yard shot with my 8i. All the other ones were over hit and/or my usual pulls started coming back again, possibly from coming in OTT. I only hit the usual 6 or 7 greens. I don't remember exactly, but I hit the fringe most of the time, and only chipped a couple times. Mostly, I used putter even through light rough as the greens were so small.

I really like playing par 3 courses. It really brings out the "target" shooter in me. They're really fun, fast, cheap and you only have to carry a few wedges and a club or two. My daughter and I had a blast. I beat her by 2 shots, and she was finally making pars towards second half.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

So, after the tournament last weekend, I've kept to my plan of not touching clubs this week at all.  I'll be leaving tomorrow, late evening, for a drive up to New Jersey to visit family for the weekend.  

When I return, I'm packing a bunch of things in to Tuesday through Friday afternoon... and then, when my wife gets home on Friday evening...

... we're driving to Kiawah Island!

I signed up for the Golfweek Amateur Tour Southern Regional tournament played next Saturday and Sunday on the Osprey Point Course and the Ocean Course.  

Outside of the National Championship in Hilton Head... I've never (and I mean NEVER) looked forward to a tournament more in my life!

Counting down the days and hours until next Friday night!

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

34 minutes ago, Fairway_CY said:

So, after the tournament last weekend, I've kept to my plan of not touching clubs this week at all.  I'll be leaving tomorrow, late evening, for a drive up to New Jersey to visit family for the weekend.  

When I return, I'm packing a bunch of things in to Tuesday through Friday afternoon... and then, when my wife gets home on Friday evening...

... we're driving to Kiawah Island!

I signed up for the Golfweek Amateur Tour Southern Regional tournament played next Saturday and Sunday on the Osprey Point Course and the Ocean Course.  

Outside of the National Championship in Hilton Head... I've never (and I mean NEVER) looked forward to a tournament more in my life!

Counting down the days and hours until next Friday night!

CY

Sounds like a busy and exciting couple weeks. Safe travels!

Give me a buzz if you are near DC and too beat to continue driving on up to NJ. Two empty bedrooms here (not quite yet empty-nesters, with one rugrat left in high school). We're about 15minutes to the west of I-95/495 (out the toll road on the way to Dulles Airport, if you know where that is).

Hey, a little birdie told me there might be an interesting blog post up fairly soon that you'll be interested in :beer:. It's taking shape, bit by bit. I don't think it's a state secret or anything, but for everyone else on this thread, we hope everyone will find it enlightening- CY has agreed to go under a microscope regarding his game statistics to see what insights we can glean from his recent rounds. Bogey golfers will likely see patterns that look familiar and possibly some more detail into where we may be leaking strokes. Stay tuned.

• Upvote 2

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Well I played today, and had a horrid front 9. Actually there were a lot of good things about it, but a number of bad things. The good things were I hit some nice tee shots. The bad things were that I hit some bad tee shots. I had a couple of blow up holes. I only parred one hole on the front 9. I was trying to play catch up instead of playing one shot at a time. And ended up with a 53. Ugh. 

On the back 9 it was an entirely different story. I shot 6 over par. This included a triple and a double. I parred the last 4 holes.

I'm back and kicking bottom. 

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

46 minutes ago, DrvFrShow said:

Well I played today, and had a horrid front 9. Actually there were a lot of good things about it, but a number of bad things. The good things were I hit some nice tee shots. The bad things were that I hit some bad tee shots. I had a couple of blow up holes. I only parred one hole on the front 9. I was trying to play catch up instead of playing one shot at a time. And ended up with a 53. Ugh. 

On the back 9 it was an entirely different story. I shot 6 over par. This included a triple and a double. I parred the last 4 holes.

I'm back and kicking bottom. 

Yeah, the bad tee shots add up strikes pretty quickly.

Well look at the bright side, you're playing again! :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

35 minutes ago, Lihu said:

Yeah, the bad tee shots add up strikes pretty quickly.

Well look at the bright side, you're playing again! :-)

This course isn't that hard, but if you don't get a good tee shot, you're dead. Unlike some other courses around here, you can't make up for it easily. The par 5s are real par 5s even from the forward tees. There's only one par 5 from the forward tees that I have a shot at reaching in two.

I really found my rhythm on the back 9. I hit some really nice tee shots. I hit a couple around 250 with a little fade. The open stance is really helping. I had 6 GIR on the back 9. The putter was a problem on the blow up holes - I three putted when it should have been a 1 putt - I was that close to the hole. Then I just started taking more time with my green reading.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

14 hours ago, RandallT said:

Sounds like a busy and exciting couple weeks. Safe travels!

Give me a buzz if you are near DC and too beat to continue driving on up to NJ. Two empty bedrooms here (not quite yet empty-nesters, with one rugrat left in high school). We're about 15minutes to the west of I-95/495 (out the toll road on the way to Dulles Airport, if you know where that is).

Hey, a little birdie told me there might be an interesting blog post up fairly soon that you'll be interested in :beer:. It's taking shape, bit by bit. I don't think it's a state secret or anything, but for everyone else on this thread, we hope everyone will find it enlightening- CY has agreed to go under a microscope regarding his game statistics to see what insights we can glean from his recent rounds. Bogey golfers will likely see patterns that look familiar and possibly some more detail into where we may be leaking strokes. Stay tuned.

Hey man... thanks for the offer!  

We'll be taking 81 up through Virigina.  I seriously dislike the drive.  When I first moved down here, my wife and kids stayed in New Jersey for 7 months so the kids could finish out the school year.  I did that drive, alone, about 25 times during that time period.  

Outside of the first few times I did the drive and thought it had some nice scenery... I've groaned during the 6+ hours of driving through Virginia.  

Looking forward to seeing the blog post!  I think, from what I've seen, you've got a lot of detail in there and things that I didn't even THINK of!

CY

Career Bests

17 hours ago, DrvFrShow said:

This course isn't that hard, but if you don't get a good tee shot, you're dead. Unlike some other courses around here, you can't make up for it easily. The par 5s are real par 5s even from the forward tees. There's only one par 5 from the forward tees that I have a shot at reaching in two.

I really found my rhythm on the back 9. I hit some really nice tee shots. I hit a couple around 250 with a little fade. The open stance is really helping. I had 6 GIR on the back 9. The putter was a problem on the blow up holes - I three putted when it should have been a 1 putt - I was that close to the hole. Then I just started taking more time with my green reading.

Nice to hear you back at it, Julia!

7 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

We'll be taking 81 up through Virigina.  I seriously dislike the drive.  When I first moved down here, my wife and kids stayed in New Jersey for 7 months so the kids could finish out the school year.  I did that drive, alone, about 25 times during that time period.  

Outside of the first few times I did the drive and thought it had some nice scenery... I've groaned during the 6+ hours of driving through Virginia.  

Looking forward to seeing the blog post!  I think, from what I've seen, you've got a lot of detail in there and things that I didn't even THINK of!

CY

Yah, I know I-81 pretty well up near Harrisonburg, where my daughter went to college. That's a long stretch through VA, and I would do that route a couple times on trips south just to avoid the monotony of I-95.

Wait until you see how much stuff is in the final product. I can't wait to see how it turns out, as the stats stuff may end up just being the foundation for the rest of the analysis. Swing recommendations, strategy, anything else that the experts here think will help you develop.  

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Shot a very nice 44+44=88 today! Didn't lose a single ball or incur a single penalty stroke. 

That being said, it was an older course with few hazards but many, many trees. I was punching out of trouble nearly every other hole. I think some courses just suit my game better than others. I didn't think I played exceptionally well but the score was 5-7 shots better than I've been shooting lately. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

9 hours ago, Braivo said:

Shot a very nice 44+44=88 today! Didn't lose a single ball or incur a single penalty stroke. 

That being said, it was an older course with few hazards but many, many trees. I was punching out of trouble nearly every other hole. I think some courses just suit my game better than others. I didn't think I played exceptionally well but the score was 5-7 shots better than I've been shooting lately. 

Thats a very nice score indeed!!! Congrats!!! :)

• Upvote 1

10 hours ago, Braivo said:

Me, too.  1st time in a long time that I started and finished with the same ball.

Good going, @Braivo!   Bravo!

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On 7/2/2016 at 0:35 PM, Braivo said:

Congrats. I also get a little wild off the tee so playing the same ball for the whole round is a nice feeling I can relate to.

Kevin

22 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

Thats a very nice score indeed!!! Congrats!!! :)

21 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Me, too.  1st time in a long time that I started and finished with the same ball.

Good going, @Braivo!   Bravo!

4 hours ago, natureboy said:

Congrats. I also get a little wild off the tee so playing the same ball for the whole round is a nice feeling I can relate to.

Thanks guys.  

Went out and shot 42 playing nine today. Still playing the same ball. Much more difficult course. Feeling pretty good about my game right now. It's always fleeting, of course, but I'll take this stretch. 

One thing I've noticed is I'm not making any really bad swings that blow up my round. Focusing on each stroke, giving it my full attention and choosing shot zones per LSW

- Mark

On 7/3/2016 at 8:38 PM, Braivo said:

Thanks guys.  

Went out and shot 42 playing nine today. Still playing the same ball. Much more difficult course. Feeling pretty good about my game right now. It's always fleeting, of course, but I'll take this stretch. 

One thing I've noticed is I'm not making any really bad swings that blow up my round. Focusing on each stroke, giving it my full attention and choosing shot zones per LSW

I love the feeling of playing an entire round with a single ball.  I typically lose 3-5 balls a round, and during tournaments... I only play with the TaylorMade Project (a) balls, so... if I'm having a bad day, I can lose a half dozen quickly.  

The last tournament, I managed to play with a single sleeve of balls for the entire 2 day tournament.  On the first day, I lost none (a bit of luck in that as I had at least 2 that could have gone missing).  On the second day, I lost 2 and then, after my final hole... I fed the remaining, beat-up ball to the pond next to the green.  

Congrats on playing 27 straight with that ball!  I think my record is just shy of that... maybe 24 holes or so!

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests

Ok, this is getting pretty scary.  Over the past few seasons, I've addressed my two biggest issues of need:  1) hitting par 3 greens and making pars to reduce a pathetic 4+ stroke average on those holes; 2) put a club in the bag to eat up yards on par-5 holes and get around the green on longer par 4 holes.

Saturday's round:  Par 3s played at +1; Par 5s played at +1.  Had a 3-putt on one par three.  GIR on all but one.  Par 5s included a birdie, 2 pars and an ugly double due to a water-ball penalty.

Another issue addressed:  Better chipping / pitching as in getting the ball all the way to the hole.  Sunday round was a bit off on iron play and GIR.  I probably had 8-10 chips/pitches.  I wasn't getting the chips to inside 5 feet.  I wasn't getting them inside 3 feet.  I was putting them inside ONE FOOT.  I had 6 at 1 or inside 1 foot.  It was like my 58* was a magic wand!

Lastly, I flushed a 9-iron to a pin at 120 yards.  One bounce and stopped on a dime 6" from the hole for a birdie on a par 5.

Anyone ever do this:  I flushed a few short irons that were hit so pure that I heard the sound of the shaft absorbing the energy.

I'm on a 'good roll' right now that I hope stays for a long time.

dave  

• Upvote 3

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!