IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Just squeaking in on the top side of the range with my latest handicap revision.  Looking forward to pushing my scores down a bit more.

Played nine yesterday and was struggling off the tee with my driver.  Should have left that in the bag and gotten out with a 44 instead of a 48 if I just stayed inbounds.

Next steps seem to be 1) fewer drives 2) fix the hook and then one day figure out how to hit the driver.

Game Golf Recap: https://bnc.lt/yzOb/wPZ10h8EYu

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I see a bunch of you had some pretty good scores last weekend!  Way to go, everybody!

I played 3 straight days (Saturday, Sunday and Monday).  On Saturday, I played the Osprey Course at Kiawah Island in a tournament.  In a round that took over 11 hours to complete (2 rain delays totaling almost 5 hours)... I shot a 91.  I couldn't hit my driver at all that day, so I teed off with 4 iron a lot.  It left me further back than I wanted, so I couldn't be as aggressive as I wanted.  Still... a 91 was not a bad score considering my goal going in was a 90.

On Sunday, I played THE COURSE.  We got to play The Ocean Course at Kiawah Island.  What an experience (I wrote a blog entry about it here on the site)!  My initial (ultimate) goal was a 90, but after the way I played on Saturday... I just wanted to break 100.  The course was brutal and the wind was relentless.  I played my first 8 holes (I started on #15) downwind... the next 9 directly into the wind... and my final hole downwind again.  In the end, I stood on my final hole (#14) needing a double bogey to shoot 99.  After some poor swings and some poor luck, I totaled an even 100.  I finished in a tie for 18th out of 22 in C Flight.

Monday, we played TPC Piper Glen in Charlotte.  Another long round because of a rain delay, but... it was a much, much easier course than those I played on the weekend.  I ended up posting an 85 and taking 2nd place in the tournament.  My game around the greens was much better than it had been on Sunday and that led to some pretty solid scores.  

So... 91 - 100 - 85 for my 3 day 'marathon' of golf.  Not too bad... not too good!  

I have almost 3 weeks until my next tournament round and I want to work on some things between now and then to see if I can post another low score.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

@RandallT Ive been going through my rounds now with the new understanding of the Broadie numbers and yeah, my rounds arent as bad as I think. I guess then with your note, was I entering my rounds wrong? I've been editing a 10 foot/2putt as 10feet first putt, then 2 feet for 2nd putt as an example. I guess this is registering as 12 feet then?

Edited by cutchemist42

1 hour ago, cutchemist42 said:

@RandallT Ive been going through my rounds now with the new understanding of the Broadie numbers and yeah, my rounds arent as bad as I think. I guess then with your note, was I entering my rounds wrong? I've been editing a 10 foot/2putt as 10feet first putt, then 2 feet for 2nd putt as an example. I guess this is registering as 12 feet then?

I believe you have it correct now.

What I've found is easiest to prove the right way to work it is this:

1. Delete all putts except your initial putt. Set the initial putt to the correct distance you remember. At this point, it will show that you made that putt.
  2. Then add a shot. The new shot will magically appear exactly half way between the first putt location and the hole, creating 2 putts that traveled the same distance. (if you had a 10ft putt, your new shot will be 5ft and the first putt will have traveled halfway to the hole).
  3. As you move this position around on a direct line the hole, you will see both numbers change. When you set the 2nd putt to 4ft, the first putt will be 6ft. If you move it 1ft past the hole, the first putt will be 11ft. And so on.

So I've learned to never use the length shown on the putts in the interface as anything other than the distance GG thinks that it traveled. To figure out distance to the hole (which is what strokes gained is based on), you have to do lots of +/- adjustments, based on the geometry of what you're looking at.

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

I shot a 42 on the front nine today and was hoping I could duplicate it on the back 9 but my driver decided to stop working.  

I hit 67% of my fairways on front 9 and only 22% on back 9, ended up with a 92.  It was a hot day and I think the heat got to me a little but it's still frustrating to waste a good front 9 like that.  

Joe Paradiso

I had a good range session yesterday which carried over to today's round.  At the range, I hit LW to driver, one club at a time, 4 - 6 balls each.  I wanted to reassess my distance for each club, and make sure my swing follows the same form no matter which club I am swinging.   It must have worked.  Today, I had godly 8 GIRs.     I would have one of my best rounds ever except I lost focus after my golfing partner lost composure and quit on hole #14.  I was flabbergasted and let it impact my game.  I went triple & double on subsequent two holes (#15, #16) which I usually get pars.   My bad.   I should have better mind control than that.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well I did it again.  2nd week in a row breaking 90!

Out in 43, in with 45 for an 88 at the end of the day.  Sure I didn’t beat last week’s 87 but it was nice to see that I could shoot under 90 again.

3 pars on the front and 3 on the back.  3 of those pars I missed the birdie by an inch or two. 

My putting was the weak link on Sunday… 35 total with only 3 – 1 putts and 2 – 3 putts.

Driving was good with nothing OB all day.  Just a nice smooth swing.  I nailed the drive on hole 1 and was on in two and thinking I have never birdied the 1st hole… come to think of it every time I have pared the first hole the round went downhill from there.  Not on Sunday!  Hole 1 was one of the birdies I missed by inches.  Most of the drives were good with anything missing the fairway was only off in the 2nd cut by a couple of feet with the exception of 3 drives.  They were tough shots next to trees but I played them smart by getting them back in the fairway and keep the damage to a minimum.

Overall a great day.  Hope everyone had as much fun as I did!

• Upvote 4

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

3 hours ago, Vinny Cap said:

Well I did it again.  2nd week in a row breaking 90!

Out in 43, in with 45 for an 88 at the end of the day.  Sure I didn’t beat last week’s 87 but it was nice to see that I could shoot under 90 again.

Great work!!

I shot 42+46=88 this weekend for my third straight sub 90 round as well. I hadn't broken 90 in years and now it's three straight!

The biggest difference has to be my full swings. I played with the same ball for 41 holes before losing it on the 14th. That is an ubelievable streak for me, I usually lose a couple a round. I am avoiding the horrendous swings that lead to OBs or fat shots into the water, that's all the difference. Plenty of nGIRs and here I am breaking 90. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

Played at Eagle Crest in upstate NY today. First time playing the course. Played from the Blue Tees (Par 72 70.8/116 6300+ yds) Course has wide forgiving fairways but definitely some tricky greens.

Anyways, shot my best round this year so far with a 94. 52 on the front and then I went unconscious and shot a 42 on the back! Had 36 putts which should have been better but like I said, the tricky part of this course is the greens. My 58 degree sm5 was on fire and the recently retired dude we got paired up with (who seemed like a single digit) said that I had a short game like Mickelson! (I am a lefty named Phil after all) Stats from the back nine:

6 GIR!!!

4 Pars (2 3 putts on tricky greens.), 4 Bogey, 1 Double

1 Penalty Stroke (unplayable lie....first time not losing 1 ball!!!!)

Front Nine:

0 GIR

4 Bogies, 4 Doubles, 1 QUAD

I don't know what changed, I made the Quad on 9 and then had a regulation hole on 10 (middle of fairway, hit green, 2 putt) and ended up in the zone. Lost a ball on 12 but recovered nicely for a double, then got a pair of 9:30 AM beers from the cart girl and hit 3 greens in a row. Rounds like this are evidence that my biggest obstacle is the mental game. Once I just relax and stop thinking, I'm capable of shooting sub 90 golf. I just need to string it together for 18 holes.

Driver: Callaway Mavrik 10*

Wood: Callaway Epic Flash 17* 

Hybrid: Callaway Mavrik 20*

Irons: Callaway Rogue X 5i-GW

Wedges: Vokey SM8 54*S and 58*K

Putter: Ping Prime Tyne 4

1 hour ago, Braivo said:

Great work!!

I shot 42+46=88 this weekend for my third straight sub 90 round as well. I hadn't broken 90 in years and now it's three straight!

Thanks and Congrats to you and three straight under 90 rounds! 

This can make golf addictive I think.  I hope to keep this going all summer long.

By not swinging for the fences, playing smart shots and having the correct tools in your bag I believe I have a new way to play golf.

...back to the range this week to work on long game shots.  Recently driving the ball great, everything from 7-iron through wedges, short game and putting working well.  Most 18 hole rounds have been sub-90 this season even though I'm having great difficulty eating up long yards on par-5s and 2nd shots on long par 4s.  Made bogey on a par-5 and double on a long par 4 from the middle of the fairway during a 9-hole league round last week.  Rolled a 5-wood on the 5 and lost my 7-wood right into the trees on a weak toe-shot that I could have hit and 8-iron to the same spot.

Before heading out for practice tonight, I'll consult a couple of youtube vids and try to 'realearn' how to hit a fairway wood.

The bad swings are affecting my 5-hyrbrid as well.  Frustrating.  I can put it on a short tee and hit a green with it from 165, but only hit it well off the fairway once in 5 tries.

Without seeing my swing, what might be a single fault causing me to NOT make good contact with these longer clubs?  Thanks if you have an idea for me to consider.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

I haven't had an opportunity to touch a club since I played last Monday, but this morning... I had some time and figured I'd get out to play a practice round to feel where my swing is at.  It was gross.  

I hit so many bad shots it wasn't even funny.  I played out each hole and the total was a vomit-inducing 53 - 57 = 110.  

I went right onto the course with no warm-up time at all, so... I was expecting a bit of a slow start, but it actually wasn't horrible early on.  I did triple the first due to some really ugly short-game stuff on that hole, but then I managed to go par - par - bogey.  

Once I got to the 5th hole... things fell apart.  Over the last 14 holes, I made 2 pars... 4 bogeys... 2 doubles... 2 triples... and 4 others.  The sad part is that I actually didn't drive the ball poorly today.  I had only a swing or two that put me in trouble off the tee and I managed to hit 7 of 11 tee shots with my driver 250 or more including a few bombs (284, 290 and 292).  It was my approach shots that killed me today.  

I took 8 penalties for 12 penalty strokes.  Only 1 penalty for 2 strokes was with my driver from a tee.  The rest were just ugly swings that either pulled the ball OB or saw the ball drop into a hazard.  

On a side note... I really hate the course I played today.  I've played it 3 times and I don't think I've ever played it well.  

I've got a week and a half until I play in a tournament next weekend.  I'm gonna have to seriously figure out my irons and short game otherwise, it's gonna be a LONG couple of days.

CY

Career Bests

I shot 45 today. Would've broke 45 but blew up with an 8 on the last hole through some very unfortunate breaks (good ball striking). 

That makes 44-44-42-42-46-45 in my last 6 nine hole scores. Consistent bogey golf or better. 

• Upvote 1

- Mark

I went out this morning, back to the same course I played 2 days ago.  I couldn't putt for anything (39 putts total) yet, playing from the same tees (72.0 Rating / 136 Slope / 6580 Yards)... I posted a 42 - 47 = 89.  

A 21 stroke difference from Wednesday to today... and the conditions were more difficult today.  So, I have no idea what changed.  

I was still hitting the driver well (although I only found 5 of 13 fairways)... but, my irons were more consistent and had me around the greens most of the time.  If I could have putted even a little bit, I would have posted something around an 84.  I missed 5 putts from inside 6 feet today... and most of them weren't even close.  

This round has my handicap trending to a new 'career' low of 15.4 for me.  I have 2 tournament rounds next weekend, and probably a practice round at some point in between, so... this could very easily spike, but... I'm hoping that the trend continues and I'm able to post something halfway decent during the tournament.

CY

Career Bests

1 hour ago, Fairway_CY said:

I went out this morning, back to the same course I played 2 days ago.  I couldn't putt for anything (39 putts total) yet, playing from the same tees (72.0 Rating / 136 Slope / 6580 Yards)... I posted a 42 - 47 = 89.  

A 21 stroke difference from Wednesday to today... and the conditions were more difficult today.  So, I have no idea what changed.  

I was still hitting the driver well (although I only found 5 of 13 fairways)... but, my irons were more consistent and had me around the greens most of the time.  If I could have putted even a little bit, I would have posted something around an 84.  I missed 5 putts from inside 6 feet today... and most of them weren't even close.  

This round has my handicap trending to a new 'career' low of 15.4 for me.  I have 2 tournament rounds next weekend, and probably a practice round at some point in between, so... this could very easily spike, but... I'm hoping that the trend continues and I'm able to post something halfway decent during the tournament.

CY

Nice score, I share your frustration in erratic scoring.  I shot a 92 on Tuesday afternoon, hitting all my clubs well, I parred or bogeyed every Par 3 with my irons.  I then went out yesterday and couldn't hit a decent iron shot, ended up with a 104.  The 104 would have been worse if I didn't drive, putt and hit my wedges so well.  

I warmed up and did everything the same yesterday as I did on Tuesday.  I hit my irons at the range fine but when I got on the course I felt completely uncomfortable with my irons.  It's like I mess up my back swing and it results in shanks or topping the ball.  

I was going to go to the range today but decided to take a day off just to clear my head.  It's so frustrating to have rounds like Tuesday where it appears things are falling into place and then blow up two days later.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

4 hours ago, newtogolf said:

Nice score, I share your frustration in erratic scoring.  I shot a 92 on Tuesday afternoon, hitting all my clubs well, I parred or bogeyed every Par 3 with my irons.  I then went out yesterday and couldn't hit a decent iron shot, ended up with a 104.  The 104 would have been worse if I didn't drive, putt and hit my wedges so well.  

I warmed up and did everything the same yesterday as I did on Tuesday.  I hit my irons at the range fine but when I got on the course I felt completely uncomfortable with my irons.  It's like I mess up my back swing and it results in shanks or topping the ball.  

I was going to go to the range today but decided to take a day off just to clear my head.  It's so frustrating to have rounds like Tuesday where it appears things are falling into place and then blow up two days later.  

Thanks!  

I've been pretty consistent recently.  Since the beginning of June, 75% of my rounds (8 of 12) have been 94 or better.  Of the 4 rounds that were over 94...

* 95 at the Osprey Course in Kiawah Island (69.0 / 130)
 * 100 at the Ocean Course in Kiawah Island (70.9 / 132)
 * 102 at Pinetuck (72.0 / 136)
 * 110 at Pinetuck (72.0 / 136)

Pinetuck is the course I played Wednesday and today.  It's not a very well conditioned course and I think that adds to my difficulties there.  

Wednesday, I think my biggest problem was that I was totally rusty.  I hadn't touched a club in 9 days by that point and I stepped directly to the first tee without any warm-up, so... I was trying to fix everything on the course.  Today, I did the same thing but I think that because I had played 2 days prior, my swing felt better.  Irons were much better.

I agree with you about the backswing.  I played a round at the beginning of May where I sha**ed and topped SO many shots.  I went back for a tournament 2 days later and spent 90 minutes on the range purposefully slowing down my backswing.  It was VERY methodical and led to a much better round and a second place finish.  Now, if I start having problems like that, I know to get very slow and deliberate (almost like Hideki Matsuyama) with my backswing and I'll start making better contact.  

If you play this weekend, be deliberate going back and hopefully it'll result in a great score!

CY

Career Bests

I did it again on Sat morning.  Shot another 88!

Went out with 43 and back in with 45.  10 putts on the front and 16 on the back.  That was with leaving the last 5 holes 1" short of dropping in!  Man, so close... had the line but needed one more ball revolution! 

Had a Birdie and 2 pars on the front and 3 pars on the back.  It was a great day of golfing.  Hope you all had fun as well.

• Upvote 2

11 minutes ago, Vinny Cap said:

I did it again on Sat morning.  Shot another 88!

Went out with 43 and back in with 45.  10 putts on the front and 16 on the back.  That was with leaving the last 5 holes 1" short of dropping in!  Man, so close... had the line but needed one more ball revolution! 

Had a Birdie and 2 pars on the front and 3 pars on the back.  It was a great day of golfing.  Hope you all had fun as well.

That's 4 in a row now for you, right?  Way to go!  

Wow... 26 putts?!  I think the best I've EVER had was 28.  Sounds like you had things really going on Saturday!  Keep it up.

CY

Career Bests

Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!