IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Played in two scramble outings this weekend. Saturday was the end of season outing for the golf league I'm in. Weather was pretty miserable with it raining on and off the whole time. One green was so soaked there was standing water on it. With a four person team we carded a very sorry 71 (+1) on a super easy course. Yesterday I took part in a 2 man match play scramble that was Ohio vs Michigan set up by a guy on the Golf Match app. The turn out wasn't too great, only 13 people showed up, but the course was in good shape and the people who were there were all really nice. Myself and my partner had a combined HC of 30 and we were paired up with against a pair of guys who had a combined HC of 26. We got 3 strokes and the match was really tight the whole time up until the last 3 holes it was back and forth staying all square for the most part. On the 16th I chipped in for bird to take a one up lead going into the final two holes, where we just happened to be getting the a stroke on each hole. We ended up winning the 17th outright without the stroke winning 2 and 1. We had to finish out the final hole because of the way scoring was being done the total number of holes up per team were going to be counted to determine whether the Ohio teams or Michigan teams won the overall event. We were able to take the final hole as well, winning the overall round at 3 up. In the end, with all scores tallied, the Ohio teams won the outing by one hole! It was definitely a great time and since we won this year they are looking to play the outing in Ohio next year. One of the guys is looking at trying to get us on at Inverness or Highland Meadows. Maybe we can get some more of us Ohio players together for next years outing and take it home again!

VZM.IMG_20160918_155913.jpg

• Upvote 1

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Got out this morning at my new home course.  Although it was a little breezy... I played decent.  There was nothing special about the round, but there was nothing that really killed my game either.  

I had a single really poor hole... #9.  My drive was pulled and hit a tree, kicking it into a hazard.  I took a drop and then hacked it around in the rough before finally getting near the green.  Then I fluffed a chip and needed 2 putts from 12 feet for a 9 on a par 4.  

Otherwise... it wasn't all that bad.  I ended up posting 48 - 42 = 90.  

It certainly could have been worse.  I was having some issues with my 4 iron today, which seems to be a 'thing' the last 2 rounds I've played.  I'm going to have to work those out before this weekend... but, I don't think I'll be playing again until Saturday, so... I'll have to put in some work that morning on the range.  

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

I was able to play Treetops in Gaylord Monday and Tuesday.     Monday with a heavy storm delay I shot an 87 at the Masterpiece course.   I was happy although I didn't putt well.   The next morning we played the par 3 course and I shot a 33.   I was ecstatic.    The only greens I missed was either long or short and if you've played the course you'd understand.   Number two from the white tees was 197 but my ranger finder showed about 145.   I've never played a course with that much elevation change.  Yesterday afternoon we played the Premier course.    I hit the ball well but could't control my distance with the putter.   

If you get the chance to play in northern michigan, Treetops is a must.

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

On 9/19/2016 at 5:47 AM, Jeremie Boop said:

Played in two scramble outings this weekend. Saturday was the end of season outing for the golf league I'm in. Weather was pretty miserable with it raining on and off the whole time. One green was so soaked there was standing water on it. With a four person team we carded a very sorry 71 (+1) on a super easy course. Yesterday I took part in a 2 man match play scramble that was Ohio vs Michigan set up by a guy on the Golf Match app. The turn out wasn't too great, only 13 people showed up, but the course was in good shape and the people who were there were all really nice. Myself and my partner had a combined HC of 30 and we were paired up with against a pair of guys who had a combined HC of 26. We got 3 strokes and the match was really tight the whole time up until the last 3 holes it was back and forth staying all square for the most part. On the 16th I chipped in for bird to take a one up lead going into the final two holes, where we just happened to be getting the a stroke on each hole. We ended up winning the 17th outright without the stroke winning 2 and 1. We had to finish out the final hole because of the way scoring was being done the total number of holes up per team were going to be counted to determine whether the Ohio teams or Michigan teams won the overall event. We were able to take the final hole as well, winning the overall round at 3 up. In the end, with all scores tallied, the Ohio teams won the outing by one hole! It was definitely a great time and since we won this year they are looking to play the outing in Ohio next year. One of the guys is looking at trying to get us on at Inverness or Highland Meadows. Maybe we can get some more of us Ohio players together for next years outing and take it home again!

VZM.IMG_20160918_155913.jpg

Nice! Keep on playing and practicing. It's tough playing under pressure too!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I managed to get out again today... twice.  

The first time, I got out this morning at my home course and played the front nine, trying to squeeze in some practice time prior to heading out to work.  I played solid golf all the way around.  I finished with 5 pars and 4 bogeys for a +4 score of 40.  

I was really happy with that and then the pro asked me if I'd be interested in playing in the Wednesday night game which was a Stableford format based off of your front nine handicap.  I checked to see if we had anything going on and then I agreed to play.  

If this morning was solid... tonight was rock solid!  I finished tonight with 4 pars, 4 bogeys and a birdie for a +3 score of 39.  That's 1 off of my career best!  I ended up with 15 Stableford points which equated to a +5 score.  With the blind draw, my partner and I finished 3rd, but... it was just nice to get out and play so well today.  

Now... I'll be putting the clubs away until Friday and then I'll decide whether to play again or put in some practice time before the tournament this weekend.

CY

Career Bests

Playing tomorrow and Winter Rules and the "leaf rule" go into effect.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

I played round 1 of 2 for the final local tournament of the year yesterday.  I struggled with my driver the entire day and managed to find only 1 of 14 fairways.  It was frustrating, to say the least.  

On the plus side, I posted a 42 - 45 = 87 and I'm only 4 strokes back heading to the final round this morning.  

I figure, if I can jump out to a quick start early... I have a chance.  I know I need to post something really low... like an 82 or something, to have a realistic opportunity to catch the leader... but I know I can do it on the course we're playing, so... I have my fingers crossed.  

I'm about to head out in 45 minutes or so to get some practice time in prior to the round.  I'll update tomorrow.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests

Breaking 90?  Yes, I can do that, but not with the regularity I am capable of.  I did take a nearly year long hiatus, but I have no excuses that would hold up. In my fantasy, I have a goal of breaking 80. I did so on two occasions last year, but attributed that to a fluke of nature. Currently have low index of 17.8 but I call it a 20 because, once you have more than 6 rounds recorded,more of your differentials are averaged in and a couple of higher scores will affect the result. On a more positive note, should I be able to post a couple of lower rounds, it will lower the index for awhile. I am getting a lot of back yard practice that carry forward to the course, but as mentioned, I have only recorded 6 rounds since I lost my spread sheet data.  I did not do well last outing with a couple TST members, but I can attribute that to anxiety I suppose and being a little self conscious which should subside in time the more I participate. Hearing the words "nice shot" frequently breeds confidence.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

On 9/22/2016 at 8:14 AM, cutchemist42 said:

Im curious, what are those changes haha?

1) preferred lies - they're aerating the fairways, sanding the aprons and getting ready to punch the greens.

2) The "Leaf Rule." They call it an abnormal ground condition thus no penalty. If your ball is lost in an abnormal ground condition you may take relief from where it first entered the area as Ground Under Repair and drop another ball no nearer the hole without penalty. Basically where the ball crossed into the area with leaves, one club length from there into the area not affected by the leaves, and drop a new ball.

Don't laugh at the last one. I hit my ball into an area like that on the 18th hole just off the fairway in the first cut. Drove the cart over and found my ball. As I was approaching the ball with my club in hand, a leaf blew over the top of it. I laughed and removed it. If I'd been walking I would never have found my ball. A near perfect 200 yd shot on a par 5 would have been wasted without this rule even though I saw where it landed and stopped. It would have made the difference between a par and a double bogey.

Although in the next couple of weeks it gets so bad the course will become nearly unplayable.

Julia

Spoiler

Well... I NEARLY did what I had to do.  Starting 4 back and playing in the penultimate group, I went out and played pretty much the round of my life.

I shot even par 35 on the front side including 2 birdies from off the green... and, despite some struggles early on (shotgun start had me starting on #13)... I managed a 46 on the back side. 

35 - 46 = 81

My 81 tied me with my cart partner for the day and we ended up heading to a playoff.  

On the first playoff hole, I had a 6 footer, up the hill with a left to right break for the win.  My hands were shaky beyond anything I've ever experienced... and I let those nerves get to me.  I pulled the putt just the tiniest bit.  

On the second playoff hole, we both hit iffy drives and were forced to punch up near the green.  I was about 40 yards away... he was about 25.  My shot was on line but hit the fringe and stuck.  He chipped up to about 6 feet.  I couldn't make my putt from the fringe and he was steady enough to knock his in, giving him the win.  

It was a ridiculously fun experience... and despite coming out on the short end... I was damn proud of how I played.  To lessen the sting a little, I won a $325 skin for one of my birdies, so... it wasn't all bad!  

Now it's all about practice for the next 3 weeks.  Gotta keep my game moving in the right direction heading into the National Championship!

CY

Career Bests

Just a quick post - still shooting bogey golf and actually ruined my swing by practicing something new.

Anyway, here's a tip - there's an app called MapMyWalk. Turn it on before playing and afterwards you can see where you hit your ball since it logs your walk and there's a satellite view that shows the golf course underneath the walk lines. Wherever you milled about (waiting for someone to hit etc) you get a "dot" so you can see where you hit from. 

Anyway, good luck with golf!

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, 808hacker said:

Just a quick post - still shooting bogey golf and actually ruined my swing by practicing something new.

Anyway, here's a tip - there's an app called MapMyWalk. Turn it on before playing and afterwards you can see where you hit your ball since it logs your walk and there's a satellite view that shows the golf course underneath the walk lines. Wherever you milled about (waiting for someone to hit etc) you get a "dot" so you can see where you hit from. 

Anyway, good luck with golf!

great tip... thanks!

IN MY BAG
Driver: Taylormade SLDR Mini Driver
3 Wood: Calloway RAZR Hawk
Hybrid: Ping 19*
Irons: Mizuno JPX 825
Wedges: 52, 56 Cleveland
Putter: Odyssey White Ice

I haven't been out in a couple of weeks and I am Jonesing for some golf.

Looks like some of you have been tearing it up!

I see a nice trophy, some low 80 scores, some nice $$$ payouts!

Congrats guys and keep it up!  Hope to get out this weekend and tear it up myself.

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

On 11/4/2013 at 2:33 AM, Meltdwhiskey said:

- Even if it takes you 4 to get on and you 2-putt, it isn't as bad as it sounds.  You get bogey on most holes anyway, so getting double after a duffed tee shot is pretty much expected.  Make up for it with a par on a hole where you hit a better tee shot

Any thoughts from the bogey gallery?

Smart plan. I agree, a double bogey is not the end of the world, provided you can make a couple pars. Triples and Quadruples will destroy your score.  

What about out of the rough? Do you hit a 5-iron out of the rough? I struggle with pushing my mid to long irons. When I hit a bad tee shot my go to is usually the 4H. 

I started playing with 1/2 of the club set to improve hitting control shots.   By carrying full set of clubs, I have been using full swing on most shots.   The drawback is that when my full swing goes south, so does my whole game.  There are times when 3/4 shots with longer club is needed.   By forcing myself to carry only 1/2 clubs, I am hitting more 3/4 shots which are easier, more accurate at times.  

• Upvote 2

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

On 9/27/2016 at 11:00 AM, rkim291968 said:

I started playing with 1/2 of the club set to improve hitting control shots.   By carrying full set of clubs, I have been using full swing on most shots.   The drawback is that when my full swing goes south, so does my whole game.  There are times when 3/4 shots with longer club is needed.   By forcing myself to carry only 1/2 clubs, I am hitting more 3/4 shots which are easier, more accurate at times.  

Sometimes in firm conditions you can run a shot up onto the green.

Julia

Spoiler

Note: This thread is 1019 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!