IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

50/43 for a 93. I was ready to walk off after 9, but parred 8 & 9 so carried on. Glad I did because I played some really nice golf, including 6 pars (let's not talk about the other 3 holes). 

Then decided to play the front 9 again. It was going so well, walked onto the 230 yard par 4 9th after 39 strokes. I always par this hole, but got an 8.

My game seems to be all or nothing lately. I wouldn't call myself a bogey golfer. I make a load of pars and probably average a birdie every 18-27 holes, but still struggle to break 90 consistently. All too regular doubles and triples are killing me.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played in the Wednesday night 9 hole dogfight at our club this evening. 

5 bogeys... 3 pars... 1 birdie = 40

My +4 Stableford score was blindly paired with a -2 Stableford score for a +2 overall. That was good enough for 2nd place and a $30 win.

I'm just feeling it right now. I hope this continues. 

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Shot a season low 89 today and it should have been lower if not for a few stupid mistakes.  

While I didn't have any major blow up holes I did have one OB and and a few mishits that cost me some strokes.  Overall I hit 67% FIR, 22% GIR and had 35 putts.  My scores have been trending lower so I'm hoping I can put a few more round in the 80's together.  

• Upvote 4

Joe Paradiso

I played baseball at a big 10 university for 4 years, tennis for 40 years, and learned to play golf at a very young age but did not play frequently in my younger years.  Accordingly, I am athletic and have a decent game for my age group now.  Extremely accurate but not long by any stretch.  When I was 60, I started to take golf seriously (Like most people getting close to retirement age) and really can't complain about my game.  The one thing that took me forever to learn and understand is:  "Feel is NOT real."  What you THINK you are doing is NOT really what you are doing.  So......I would advise any player who wants to improve their game to, have some video taken of your swing and watch it.  You will be amazed.  Your swing will be NOTHING like you think it is.  (LOL) :-P

• Upvote 2

Everything in Moderation, Keep it Simple, Less is Best

Ping G10 clubs:   D-9*, 3W-15.5*, H-18*, Irons-4 thru PW, W-50/ 54/ 58*, P- Redwood Zing 

Ball-Pro V1

Ugh... I woke up this morning extremely sore.  I had a 9:00am tee time and my shoulders were on fire.  I got to the course at 8:45am and had no real time to warm-up, so I settled for a few practice "swings" on the first tee, but they were intensely painful.  This led to a very, very poor start as it took at least 3 holes for my shoulders to loosen up.  

By the time I felt okay enough to make a full swing at anything, I had no idea where shots were going before I hit them.  I played the front side in a pretty ugly 47 that included 4 doubles (one after a three-putt from 6 feet).  

When I made the turn, I was hoping to get things going, but it went wrong right away.  A pull-hook off the 10th tee with a 4 iron left me almost 200 yards to the hole on a short, downhill par 4.  I tried to get to the green, over a tree with a 5 iron but caught it heavy and watched it drop into the hazard.  This led to a triple.  I added another triple on the 17th to go with 2 more doubles on the back side for an abysmal 49.  

My 47 - 49 = 96 showed me that, while I have moments where I can put it all together... I also have moments where I clearly can't get the ball to the hole.

:-\

CY

Career Bests

I had another pretty poor round today.  I had a 'feel' going for me over the last few weeks that I've suddenly lost.  By that, I mean that I was extremely comfortable and confident standing over the ball.  Somewhere along the way... I misplaced it and I can't seem to get it back for more than a few shots at a time here and there.  

My tee shots were very poor early on, leading to some awkward shots afterwards.  I even managed to lose a ball in the rough up the left side of the 7th hole somehow which resulted in a triple bogey.  On the 8th hole, I remembered something and my iron shots started getting better.  I posted a 47 on the front.  

The 10th has my number.  I'm afraid to hit a driver, but laying back with a 4 iron leaves too much and I keep putting the ball in the hazard there.  So, an ugly double to start the back... and another double on the 12th after hitting the fattest 7 iron imaginable off the tee.  In between, I made par on the 11th hole.  I played the final 6 holes in +5 including a double on the 16th after a horrible pitch from left of the green.  I managed a 46 on the back.  

47 - 46 = 93

Not happy about my last 2 scores at all.  

CY

Career Bests

I haven't had as much chance to get out an play as I'd like lately as the weather hasn't been very conducive to play. I was able to get out on Saturday and even though I thought I was playing poorly actually ended up shooting an 85 mostly due to decent recovery of some poor tee shots. I limited myself to 1 triple and 1 double bogey with zero lost balls which was all it took to keep the score down.

• Upvote 2

KICK THE FLIP!!

In the bag:
:srixon: Z355

:callaway: XR16 3 Wood
:tmade: Aeroburner 19* 3 hybrid
:ping: I e1 irons 4-PW
:vokey: SM5 50, 60
:wilsonstaff: Harmonized Sole Grind 56 and Windy City Putter

21 hours ago, stealthhwk said:

I shot an 83 today!!! Bested my previous best by five strokes! Drives were awesome and putts all went in. The mallet I picked up seems to be helping and I have finally figured out how to play a driver!! Also a shout out to Bridgestone golf. Their e5 has been framed numerous times in my trophy cabinet!!! The switch has helped my game tremendously! No extra practice. Just knowledge, and feel. Less thinking and more feel. Idk what to say, other thanjust WOW!! Today, I feel like a golfer....maybe even a decent one. :-)

Cool! Keep on enjoying the game!

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

After going back and forth between 14 and 15 HI for a few months, I decided to put more structure in my effort to improve.   After my retirement almost a year ago, I have been playing mostly with a range session sprinkled in here and there.  Going forward, I will practice chipping, putting, pitching, ball striking daily if possible.   My practice will be specific.  E.g, for the last two days, I worked on making sure my hip turn comes before downward swing.   

Carded 89 today which is good for my HI.  

What worked: ball striking accuracy (8 GIRs) and distance.  I think the proper hip turn helped.

What didn't work: putting - Four 3-putts, 36 putts total.  

( You are playing too much golf when you keep running into your lost balls from the previous rounds. )

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

My last four rounds scores have been 89, 90, 99, 89.  Yesterday I shot a 89 yesterday, 47 on the front and 42 on the back which is a personal best on back as I usually struggle.  I'm happy with the score but was annoyed with myself because going into the 18th hole (par 5) I was at 35 and if not for hitting my drive OB, I should have carded a new low score.  I hit the drive on 18 OB, then shot par on the hole.  

The key for me to shooting these lower scores has been to reduce penalties.  Our course has a lot of OB on both sides of the tree lined fairway.  If you don't keep the ball on or near the fairway you're either OB or hitting from behind trees.  

Too bad there's only about 6 weeks left in the season.  

• Upvote 1

Joe Paradiso

On 10/4/2016 at 9:47 PM, stealthhwk said:

I shot an 83 today!!! Bested my previous best by five strokes! Drives were awesome and putts all went in. The mallet I picked up seems to be helping and I have finally figured out how to play a driver!! Also a shout out to Bridgestone golf. Their e5 has been framed numerous times in my trophy cabinet!!! The switch has helped my game tremendously! No extra practice. Just knowledge, and feel. Less thinking and more feel. Idk what to say, other thanjust WOW!! Today, I feel like a golfer....maybe even a decent one. :-)

I enjoyed reading this ^^^ What a great feeling right? Congratulations, I am very happy for you!

I'm also keeping a group of balls for future display (one day). I only have 3 right now: first birdie, 100, and 90.  

• Upvote 1

Shot 45 at Cross Creek Golf Course (67.7/107 2884 yards) in strong winds and steady rain. That’s good for me fellas... Hit 8/9 Fairways and 4 GIR. Missed all 4 birdie opportunities, but considering the water-logged greens, I am very proud of myself. Last year I would have lost my temper in these conditions.

I am really sorry to see the “season” coming to a close. I have learned so much this year.

Great weekend for golf here in NE Ohio.  Friday, played 'hookie' and took half day off work to enjoy a round in sunny and 80 degree weather.  Saturday, not so warm, but sunny and breezy, low 60s.

The big question about my game is why does it take 9 holes for me to warm up my old bones and start playing good golf? Start cold on #1 with no warmup, front side isn't good.  Hit range balls and practice putting, front side isn't any better.

Back nine score Friday: 40; Saturday, 39.

Kept both rounds well under 90, had birdies both rounds and was low score Friday and 2nd lowest Saturday.  Won all the cash on a Friday Nassau and skins on Saturday.

Couple of exceptional holes:  #9 Friday: Crushed a drive that caught a downslope leaving me 101 to elevated green.  Wedge to 4' and made putt. Saturday on a par 5, drove ball into trees, punched out with 6-iron that still left 161 to green.  5-hybrid to 3 feet and made putt for birdie.

My cart mate on Saturday is a 10 hdcp and a pretty good player. He only had his B game Saturday and I could tell he was getting frustrated watching me circle another won hole every other hole!  Nice to be 'the guy' every once in awhile.

Don't know about you guys, but we're certainly running out of golf days in Ohio.  Sad truth.

dave

The ultimate "old man" setup:

Ping G30 driver
Ping G Fairway woods - 5 and 7 woods
Callaway X-Hot #5 hybrid; Old school secret weapon
Ping G #6-9 irons; W and U wedges
Vokey 54 and 58* Wedges
Odyssey Versa Putter
Golf Balls

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 10:41 PM, Fairway_CY said:

5 bogeys... 3 pars... 1 birdie = 40

On Wednesday, September 28, 2016 at 11:17 PM, newtogolf said:

Shot a season low 89 today and it should have been lower if not for a few stupid mistakes.  

On Tuesday, October 04, 2016 at 1:08 PM, Jeremie Boop said:

I was able to get out on Saturday ended up shooting an 85

On Wednesday, October 05, 2016 at 0:47 AM, stealthhwk said:

I shot an 83 today!!!

On Thursday, October 06, 2016 at 0:55 AM, rkim291968 said:

Carded 89 today which is good for my HI. 

On Thursday, October 06, 2016 at 7:57 AM, newtogolf said:

My last four rounds scores have been 89, 90, 99, 89.  Yesterday I shot a 89

WOW!  Some great score guys!  Congrats to you!

This breaking 90 thing is fun and contagious!  I am trying to get out both days this weekend to make up for some lost ground.  Hope to have some good numbers to post here.

Congrats to some others but I couldn't tell what you shot as you only listed front or back scores.

Hit 'em long, hit 'em straight and keep it below 90!!!

• Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

Does anyone have advice for playing a water logged & muddy course? The rains are here sooner than expected, but there's still enough daylight to sneak in a few rounds before the clock rolls back. I'm not ready to surrender to Mother Nature yet.

Wiping mud off my wedges and golf balls is not much fun, but it wouldn't be so bad if my ball striking hadn't also gone to pot.. I feel I'm swinging faster to compensate for the mud and getting out of sync. It is a real confidence killer for me.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong - any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

I asked the same question on the forum and what I remember, you have to really stress getting your weight forward.   In a soft, mushy fairway, it's easy to leave your weight back.  

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

18 hours ago, Kalnoky said:

Does anyone have advice for playing a water logged & muddy course? The rains are here sooner than expected, but there's still enough daylight to sneak in a few rounds before the clock rolls back. I'm not ready to surrender to Mother Nature yet.

Wiping mud off my wedges and golf balls is not much fun, but it wouldn't be so bad if my ball striking hadn't also gone to pot.. I feel I'm swinging faster to compensate for the mud and getting out of sync. It is a real confidence killer for me.

Maybe I'm looking at this wrong - any thoughts are greatly appreciated. 

Bring a change of clothing. . .

In general, if you feel like you are swinging "faster" or "harder" you're probably actually swinging slower and less accurately.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!