IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

16 hours ago, RandallT said:

@rkim291968, @Lihu, @Strat-Pack Rick, @808hacker, @DavidMatthew1978, @Hacker James, @lee34, @Vinny Cap, @mcanadiens, @RFKFREAK, @HitAndGiggle, @Kalnoky, @Marty2019, @Hategolf, @Shark9, @dennyjones, @freshmanUTA, @divot dave, @Hazsa, @David L Yskes, @sirhacksalot, @stealthhwk, @KoenA, @Jeremie Boop, @Lugowskins, @DrvFrShow, @Ron, @dave s, @cutchemist42, @uitar9, @Jcm288, @djfajt71, @Brakkus, @Swungover, @xcott, @Al Bundy, @Scotsclaff, @PJCdude, @101101, @hockeyref18, @Braivo, @JonMA1, @CyboNinja, @CR McDivot, @natureboy, @alleztom, @Slowcelica, @ppine, @Osnola, @roamin, @tdiii, @Gaetano Fasano, @No Mulligans, @Covert, @9wood, @CoachCad8, @Rainmaker, @CCC, @sarena1594, @Al B Tross, @bostonboy9416, @Avalanche

As a moderator, I made a mistake here on this thread (one of my faves too!) that inadvertently wiped out all of the Followers. The list above is everyone who has contributed here since May 2016 (page 97!). 

So welcome back to this thread- if you want to continue to get notifications when this thread is updated, please click on "Follow" which is near the top of the page if you are on a computer, and it's at the bottom of the last post if you are on your phone.  (yes, even you, @rkim291968, who started this thread!)

I've also moved it back to the Golf Talk forum, which I had inadvertently moved.

Thanks @Fairway_CY for even noticing my slip-up. 

Everyone hits a Shank once in a while. Everyone...

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

On 2/1/2017 at 6:48 AM, RandallT said:

@rkim291968, @Lihu, @Strat-Pack Rick, @808hacker, @DavidMatthew1978, @Hacker James, @lee34, @Vinny Cap, @mcanadiens, @RFKFREAK, @HitAndGiggle, @Kalnoky, @Marty2019, @Hategolf, @Shark9, @dennyjones, @freshmanUTA, @divot dave, @Hazsa, @David L Yskes, @sirhacksalot, @stealthhwk, @KoenA, @Jeremie Boop, @Lugowskins, @DrvFrShow, @Ron, @dave s, @cutchemist42, @uitar9, @Jcm288, @djfajt71, @Brakkus, @Swungover, @xcott, @Al Bundy, @Scotsclaff, @PJCdude, @101101, @hockeyref18, @Braivo, @JonMA1, @CyboNinja, @CR McDivot, @natureboy, @alleztom, @Slowcelica, @ppine, @Osnola, @roamin, @tdiii, @Gaetano Fasano, @No Mulligans, @Covert, @9wood, @CoachCad8, @Rainmaker, @CCC, @sarena1594, @Al B Tross, @bostonboy9416, @Avalanche

As a moderator, I made a mistake here on this thread (one of my faves too!) that inadvertently wiped out all of the Followers. The list above is everyone who has contributed here since May 2016 (page 97!). 

So welcome back to this thread- if you want to continue to get notifications when this thread is updated, please click on "Follow" which is near the top of the page if you are on a computer, and it's at the bottom of the last post if you are on your phone.  (yes, even you, @rkim291968, who started this thread!)

I've also moved it back to the Golf Talk forum, which I had inadvertently moved.

Thanks @Fairway_CY for even noticing my slip-up. 

Nice!  Thanks for getting it back up and moving again!

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Hello everyone,I've been working my way through this thread for a couple of days now,gotta say it's excellent.

It's great to read of golfers similar to myself,there faults and strengths,and how many have improved.Just what I needed to motivate me to keep practicing,(it's winter here).

Personally what I feel I need to work on to improve my game is remaining focused for a full round,and also start playin smarter.

Hey guys, so I played 2 times in, both at the same course, ASU Karsten. My final score for each game was 91, and 90 respectively. I played from the blacks just because that's what I do, I don't really care about my score just about hitting nice shots. 

Both times I played I birdied the first hole, on a good drive, good approach shot, then 1 putt for birdie, similar locations but completely different stances. Then the rest of the round I had a random gathering of pars, bogeys, doubles, and one triple bogey in the first round. Now, I read LSW and it talks about making the anomaly shot the shank, and most golfers think the bad shots are the anomaly even though technically the good shot is. What I want to know is, since this is a common theme when i play(I usually get a birdie in the first 3 holes), is this technically an anomaly hole or am I truly capable of good results, just not consistently. I'm having trouble figuring it out cause almost every time i play there's always a hole where every shot i hit is good.

-Matt

1 hour ago, knucklebuster said:

Hello everyone,I've been working my way through this thread for a couple of days now,gotta say it's excellent.

It's great to read of golfers similar to myself,there faults and strengths,and how many have improved.Just what I needed to motivate me to keep practicing,(it's winter here).

Personally what I feel I need to work on to improve my game is remaining focused for a full round,and also start playin smarter.

Welcome!

• Upvote 1

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

1 hour ago, freshmanUTA said:

Hey guys, so I played 2 times in, both at the same course, ASU Karsten. My final score for each game was 91, and 90 respectively. I played from the blacks just because that's what I do, I don't really care about my score just about hitting nice shots. 

Both times I played I birdied the first hole, on a good drive, good approach shot, then 1 putt for birdie, similar locations but completely different stances. Then the rest of the round I had a random gathering of pars, bogeys, doubles, and one triple bogey in the first round. Now, I read LSW and it talks about making the anomaly shot the shank, and most golfers think the bad shots are the anomaly even though technically the good shot is. What I want to know is, since this is a common theme when i play(I usually get a birdie in the first 3 holes), is this technically an anomaly hole or am I truly capable of good results, just not consistently. I'm having trouble figuring it out cause almost every time i play there's always a hole where every shot i hit is good.

-Matt

I used to like to think that my 'potential' was defined by the really good shots I'd hit each round.  It wasn't until just recently that I realized that potential is actually really difficult to define.  

In my mind's eye, I would look at statistics and see that I was improving, so... that meant my potential was greater.  I've had people (both here and on the course) tell me that there was going to be an eventual ceiling to how well I'd be able to play without proper instruction and practice.  I didn't want to believe it, but it's proven itself to be true.  I haven't necessarily reached MY ceiling yet, but... I'm getting close to it and I've witnessed others reach theirs.  

Whether you define those birdie holes as anomalies or not is entirely up to you.  I've been playing for 24 years.  My birdies are still the anomalies in my round.  Over my last 20 rounds or so, I'm twice as likely to make a triple or more (10%) as I am to make a birdie (5%).  Meanwhile... 66% of my scores are pars (31%) or bogies (35%).  

Am I capable of putting together a hole now and again where the tee shot, approach shot and putt were all pretty good to great?  Yes.  That doesn't mean that I have the potential to ever post 13 birdies and shoot a 59 though.  I can trick myself into believing it, but the reality is that if I can make even a single birdie per round, it usually just comes down to my timing being 'on' during those few strokes.  Until I'm coached properly and I'm practicing the RIGHT THINGS in the RIGHT WAY... my potential is limited.  That's the realization that I've finally come to after a long time of fooling myself into believing that I didn't need an instructor to get to the scoring range I want to eventually get to (5.0 index - give or take).

What does this mean for you?  I don't know.  Only you can define that and only you can decide where you want your ceiling to be.  

Welcome to the thread!

CY

Career Bests

On 11/1/2013 at 4:42 PM, JCRuzanski said:

short game, short game, short game. My ball striking has improved considerably, so my emphasis has been on chipping, and putting. In the past I'd roll a putt too far past then miss the comeback putt. So I've been working on consistent putting. I've also been trying to play smarter. Why break out driver on the 4's that a 5 iron off the tee will work out well...

And some good course management technique will also help immensely.

I can't compare myself to anyone else, just me. I've seen a reduction in my overall spread of rounds. I started scoring 110--140. Last year it was 79-108. I'm gonna stick with that spread reduction as my method to see my improvement.

As psychonana said, course management and short game. Thats where I hit the majority of my shots.

4 minutes ago, uitar9 said:

I can't compare myself to anyone else, just me. I've seen a reduction in my overall spread of rounds. I started scoring 110--140. Last year it was 79-108. I'm gonna stick with that spread reduction as my method to see my improvement.

As psychonana said, course management and short game. Thats where I hit the majority of my shots.

I'm not the best at math but your spread went from 30 strokes to 29 strokes. But the middle of the spread went down by about 30 strokes!

i don't think your improvement came from tightening up your spread of rounds.  It came from just plain old getting better, right?!

That 79 though! Nice!!!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

18 hours ago, freshmanUTA said:

Is it possible that the first 3 holes are simply the easiest on the course where direction and accuracy are not at a premium as possibly the others especially from the longest tees?

If not, this could also be a mental issue possibly? If your up mood on the first three holes leads to apprehension that you can't perform the same on the next few holes, that could impede you. Also, if you are in a euphoric mood state after getting the birdies then play a bogey or worse on the 4th or 5th hole, that could cause you to crash?

15 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

I used to like to think that my 'potential' was defined by the really good shots I'd hit each round.  It wasn't until just recently that I realized that potential is actually really difficult to define. 

I can only say that the best shots I had in the past made me want to figure out how to make them more often. At this point my typical shot is probably as good as my best shots 3 years ago, the main difference being that I have more of an understanding of why my shot is better now than it was then. My best shots now are nit that much better than my typical shot, even though some are really long or lucky because of anomalies.

So, I think your best shots do possibly define your physical potential but only if you can somehow manage to make your swing better?

Another thing is that my best shots before took a lot more effort to make than my typical shot now. That's why they're from my typical swing.

In this sense, that could define my best shots 3 years ago as my "potential" for my current typical shot?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

19 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I'm not the best at math but your spread went from 30 strokes to 29 strokes. But the middle of the spread went down by about 30 strokes!

i don't think your improvement came from tightening up your spread of rounds.  It came from just plain old getting better, right?!

That 79 though! Nice!!!

Yup, the middle has come down. I can see my ceiling tho.  With only so much time available to practice , age, taking it up late in life, I'd be happy to see that middle come down another 5 strokes. Then I'm really grinding. Reducing doubles and triples vs shooting birdies seems to be the place to find those strokes.

Today was a day of highs and lows.  I got invited to the Friday money game at my club and decided to give it a go.  Even though my actual handicap is a 14.0 right now, my USGA GHIN index is a 12.0 at the moment.  Being a money game... I had to play off of the 12.0 index, so... a little bit of pressure there.  

Anyway... I played really well on the front.  I had 2 poor holes but, otherwise... I played solid golf and posted a 41 (+5).  The back started pretty well, but then it fell apart.  

On the 14th hole, my approach shot nipped a tree branch and the ball fell just short of the green, landing in a greenside trap and absolutely plugging in the face of the bunker.  It took me 2 swings just to move it and an additional swing to get on the green.  I was so flustered, I three-putted for a smooth snowman.  

I got in my own head from that point and played the remaining holes double - double - double - par.  On the 17th, I missed my landing target by 3 feet and found myself in another garbage lie in a bunker.  

I ended up going 41 - 50 = 91 for the day and losing $26 in the process.  The only reason it wasn't more is because of how I played on the front and I made a 15 footer for par on the last hole to win the press... otherwise, I could have easily lost $50+ today.  

Oh well... tomorrow is the first tournament of the Golfweek Am Tour season in Charlotte.  Gotta get some rest and prepare myself for that.  

CY

Career Bests

So... this weekend was not a great weekend from a golf perspective for me.  

Saturday, I woke up excited to get out and play my first stroke play tournament of the year.  Unfortunately, it was pretty cold that morning so things were delayed.  My practice routine was condensed because the range opened 45 minutes late and because I wanted to spend some time inside before the round to warm myself up a bit.  

On the range, I was striping shots.  It just didn't translate to the course.  Somewhere along the way, my brain just jumped up and told me that I was going to play horribly on the par 5's that day.  I played them double - triple - triple - triple for a +11 total on the par 5 holes.  I added a triple on the 1st hole (shotgun format) after hitting into the lip of a fairway bunker and taking 3 strokes to get it out of there.  So, I was +14 on 5 holes en route to a +20 total.  

My 47 - 45 = 92 finished 6 strokes behind the C Flight winner as I posted a tie for 10th out of a 27 man field.  I wasn't happy with that, at all.  

Sunday as a different type of round.  My home course was holding a Super Bowl Shootout where we started with 11 guys on the 1st tee and each hole, the highest score would be eliminated (2 were going to be eliminated on the 4th hole) until there was only 1 person left standing.  A fun format which I'd played only 1 other time.  

Well... someone had to be the first eliminated... and that someone was me.  I murdered my drive and left myself only about 97 yards to the flag.  I hit my wedge just a little thin and the ball ran over the back of the green.  From where I was, there was no way to get the ball close.  I just wanted to get it somewhere on the green and play for a bogey.  My ball ran 45 feet past the hole, as expected.  My putt from there was good speed, but the line was off by a bit, leaving me a 6 footer for bogey.  With 10 other guys and the scorer from the club watching, I pushed that right and left myself a 4 footer for double... and then I pulled that coming back before tapping in for a smooth triple.  

I rode along for a few holes just to watch the action... and then I went to the clubhouse to erase that disaster from my mind with the help of some Crown Royal.  

Today is a rest day for me.  I've got some work to take care of... and then I'll be back on the course tomorrow morning.  Following that, I may not get to play again until February 16th because I'll be traveling for work, but... I'll find ways to keep my mind and body golf active while away.  

CY

Career Bests

I went out this morning with a group of older guys at my home club.  I was invited to their game and figured it couldn't hurt to take them up on it.  

It turned out to be a beautiful day.  I was a little rushed because of a conference call for work, but... I made it to the course on time with a few minutes to spare to hit a few balls.  

The front nine was not the greatest.  6 bogeys, a double, a par and a birdie for a +7 score of 43.  Even the birdie was kind of lucky.  I hit a not-so-great drive... a decent 4 iron... and then an 8 iron that was a little thinner than I wanted but finished 3 feet from the hole.  I'll never NOT take a birdie, but that wasn't one of my best.  The score got away from me on the 9th hole when I topped my 3 wood from the tee and it bounced up the left side into a hazard.  It left me 280+ to the hole.  I hit a good shot from the fairway with a pitching wedge to 13 feet to try and save bogey, but I missed the putt for a double.  

The back side was a little better in terms of my play.  A few loose holes hurt me.  I made 5 pars, 2 bogeys, a double and a triple on that side for another +7 score of 43.  The double came on the 13th hole after I got quick with my driver and yanked the ball out of bounds.  I managed a 'second ball par' for the double, but... it still hurt.  The triple was on the 17th hole.  A short par 3 that was at 147 yards today with a stiff breeze into our faces.  I hit a choked-down 7 iron that looked really good... until it flew the green entirely and kicked off the mound and into the weeds.  I should have taken it out of the hazard, but I tried to play it and it led to an ugly hole.  

Overall... the 43 - 43 = 86 wasn't the worse score I could have posted.  I just wish my driver was a little better today.  I only hit 2 drives I would classify as solid out of 9 swings with that club.  The rest were either flat-out bad or ugly but serviceable.  

I'll probably miss the next 2 days with work, but... I hope to play Friday afternoon in the men's money game at the club.  

CY

Career Bests

I tell ya what ...  How can a person hit eagle and still end up with an 88? (I've done that twice now, these last couple of months) It's especially frustrating when one of the guys, that never hit better than 4 pars, ends up beating you!!  ARRG!!

That's the "poor me" addition of this reply ...

When a guy, who has played on and off since he was 5, tops out between 88-102, what kind of lessons should he be looking for?

PING G30 irons 4-pw, uw, sw, lw.

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series driver, 3 wood and Heavenwood. 

Odyssey White Hot putter with 5.0 fatso grip.

Titleist DT Trusoft balls

9 minutes ago, Dozer said:

I tell ya what ...  How can a person hit eagle and still end up with an 88? (I've done that twice now, these last couple of months) It's especially frustrating when one of the guys, that never hit better than 4 pars, ends up beating you!!  ARRG!!

That's the "poor me" addition of this reply ...

When a guy, who has played on and off since he was 5, tops out between 88-102, what kind of lessons should he be looking for?

There are so many threads on golf instruction here, so I don't know how to be concise about this. For us bogey golfers, I am becoming more and more convinced through my own experience that I needed the following things:

1. An overview of the methodology that I would be following. A roadmap of what was ahead, or the philosophy.  (I had failed with in person instructors who seemed to give me tip-type instruction, and I had failed trying to instruct myself). I can work hard on one piece, but I need to know the framework where that piece fits.
  2. An expert who I could trust to tell me what 1 (or maybe 2) key things I needed to work on for the next 2 weeks or a month. Very specific drills.
  3. The determination to actually do a little bit EVERY single day. Ok, I could miss one here and there, but pretty much every day a minimum of 10 minutes.
  4. A practice session that involved using video, and taking the time to review after every shot. Take the range time seriously. Change the damn picture, don't just hit balls. I can go many, many range sessions now and not even hit many balls at full speed. Mostly slow speed and confirming video.

For me, anything short of that was not making my 50+ year old body make progress. It honestly took me several years to realize this. I started playing again several years ago, and thought I could just tinker around and get better than bogey golf. Nope.

So whether or not that helps you, I don't know. Just one guy's lessons learned from a starting point probably similar to yours. Hopefully, this is still on topic for the bogey golfer thread!

2 hours ago, Fairway_CY said:

Overall... the 43 - 43 = 86 wasn't the worse score I could have posted.

Pretty damn good score, CY. More to come I hope.

My Swing

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

There are so many threads on golf instruction here, so I don't know how to be concise about this. For us bogey golfers, I am becoming more and more convinced through my own experience that I needed the following things:

1. An overview of the methodology that I would be following. A roadmap of what was ahead, or the philosophy.  (I had failed with in person instructors who seemed to give me tip-type instruction, and I had failed trying to instruct myself). I can work hard on one piece, but I need to know the framework where that piece fits.
  2. An expert who I could trust to tell me what 1 (or maybe 2) key things I needed to work on for the next 2 weeks or a month. Very specific drills.
  3. The determination to actually do a little bit EVERY single day. Ok, I could miss one here and there, but pretty much every day a minimum of 10 minutes.
  4. A practice session that involved using video, and taking the time to review after every shot. Take the range time seriously. Change the damn picture, don't just hit balls. I can go many, many range sessions now and not even hit many balls at full speed. Mostly slow speed and confirming video.

For me, anything short of that was not making my 50+ year old body make progress. It honestly took me several years to realize this. I started playing again several years ago, and thought I could just tinker around and get better than bogey golf. Nope.

So whether or not that helps you, I don't know. Just one guy's lessons learned from a starting point probably similar to yours. Hopefully, this is still on topic for the bogey golfer thread!

That is some sound information and I will definitely listen to your requests. I too am battling a 50+ year old body that was beat up pretty bad from playing years of team sports. It gets intetesting, to say the least. I also just picked the sticks back up in July after a 15 year break. Almost like starting all over again. lol  Hell, it gets pretty rough sometimes, ya know. Thanks again!

PING G30 irons 4-pw, uw, sw, lw.

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series driver, 3 wood and Heavenwood. 

Odyssey White Hot putter with 5.0 fatso grip.

Titleist DT Trusoft balls

1 hour ago, RandallT said:

Thanks bud!  Something has clicked and I'm getting the ball near my targets more frequently.  I used to be good for a few heavy shots and a few block-slices per round.  Anymore, if I have even one of those, it's something I'm able to know exactly why I did it and how to stop it.  

I guess the 'big miss' is absent from my game at the moment and it's resulting in more scoring opportunities.  I'd like to use the My Swing thread to get even better, obviously, but... I'm having more fun playing golf now than I ever have in my life.  

If I could get a little better around the greens and convert some opportunities, I'd finally be able to crack the 80 barrier!

CY

Career Bests

Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!