IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 2/7/2017 at 8:04 PM, Dozer said:

I tell ya what ...  How can a person hit eagle and still end up with an 88? (I've done that twice now, these last couple of months) It's especially frustrating when one of the guys, that never hit better than 4 pars, ends up beating you!!  ARRG!!

Um. the only eagle i have ever made, was on a round with a score of 97.  I have shot in the 80's just not with an eagle.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Both times I broke 90 were the times I also hit eagles. Just a good hole, I guess.

PING G30 irons 4-pw, uw, sw, lw.

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series driver, 3 wood and Heavenwood. 

Odyssey White Hot putter with 5.0 fatso grip.

Titleist DT Trusoft balls

I went out today, more than anything, to test my game some in the wind.  It was about 50 degrees and blowing 20-25 MPH with gusts in the 30-35 MPH range.  

Save for a few holes, I played pretty well.  

1 - Big slice with my driver near the second hole.  Punched a 4 iron into the fairway short of the green.  Pitch shot from about 40 yards hit the stick.  2 feet for par.  

2 - 7 iron from the tee drew in nicely but went just a little long.  Chip from just off the back of the green left me 7 feet.  I made that for par.  

3 - Another big slice put me in trouble.  I flubbed my punch out and put me in more trouble.  Another poor punch out left me about 175 to the flag.  I hit a solid 4 iron but it didn't draw in for me and the wind held it up.  Left me with a long (35 yards) bunker shot.  I hit that fat.  Chipped to 2 feet and recorded a triple.

4 - Great 4 iron from the tee left me 122 to the flag but on a downhill lie.  I came in way too steep and hit it 2 inches behind the ball.  77 yards from a fairway bunker... fat.  Good pitch from about 45 yards hit the green and went forever... off the back.  I hit an okay chip from there but took 2 putts from only 4 feet for another triple.  

5 - Weak, ugly drive that found the fairway.  147 to the flag, but easily a club and a half wind.  My 7 iron was flared right.  My pitch had to go over a bunker and was short-sided.  No shot.  I carried it too deep, it hit a downslope and ran off the other side.  Chip to 5 feet and made that for bogey.  

6 - I thought it was with the wind, but I guess not.  I hit a decent 6 iron that went all of 135 yards.  My pitch from well short of the flag (which was on the back tier) left me 15 feet.  I made the curler for par. 

7 - I finally hit a solid drive that left me in the center of the fairway.  No shot to get there, so I was trying to leave myself about 70 yards.  My 4 iron was pushed and left me in no position.  I hit a clean sand wedge from well right but it nipped a branch and went in the trap.  Another long bunker shot (35 yards) was fat.  My chip from in front of the green ran out a bit too much.  I couldn't make the 13 footer and took a double. 

8 - My drive was way off the toe and faded... but the wind turned it into a big slice again.  I was over by the 9th fairway and had 182 into a strong wind.  My hybrid was pure but started right.  Ended a little long.  My only shot was to punch the ball into the mound in front of me and hope it killed it enough to keep it on the green.  I executed it perfectly and when I got up to the green, it was just 2 feet away.  I yipped the putt and took a bogey.

9 - Solid drive didn't draw enough and put me in the right rough.  A punch with an 8 iron didn't work as I had hoped and left me short and right.  My pitch from about 30 yards lipped out.  I made the 3 footer for par to finish up.  

Overall... a 46.  The wind was a big factor.  I wasn't happy with the score or how I struck the ball... but I was very happy with my short game (other than the long bunker shots).  Only 12 putts and I made a handful of up & downs.

Back on the course for a money game tomorrow, so... hopefully I can get to the range beforehand to get my swing down.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Went on holiday and had a total of 10 days off playing golf. Went to the range the day after getting back and was hitting the ball a bit hit and miss, then played a round the next day.

Never felt very comfortable during the round. Had more fats in the round then the last 5 rounds combined.

Weirdly I hit 2 birdies on par 4s. I usually only get birdies on the par 3s and par 5s, so that is improvement. I had 5 pars during the round.

It was the rest of the holes in which I was very inconsistent, with a score of 98 (my worst in about 20 rounds). No penalties which makes the score even worse.

I posted a pretty ugly 46 - 44 = 90 yesterday afternoon.  I made par on 7 holes but I also threw a pair of triples in there and a few doubles as well.  My biggest struggle seemed to be my wedges.  They were on line but they'd come up just short and end up rolling back off the false fronts of the greens.  

Now I'm on a forced break until at least Thursday.

Ugh.

CY

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

So.... I was saying that since I haven't gotten to play much in the last 2 weeks, I was going to play today no matter what! hahahaha

I wake up and there's flash flood/thunder/lightning warning. Phones are going off with the warning along with the TV.

Someone doesn't want me to get a double-bogey! Hope your weather is great!

I feel like I'm getting worse. After playing again today,  and sucking worse than yesterday,  I called Golf Galaxy and set up my first lesson.  Swing analysis is first step.  I know I am swinging over the top, spinning my hips and im sure many other things.  These things won't correct themselves.  I need help asap.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

12 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

I feel like I'm getting worse. After playing again today,  and sucking worse than yesterday,  I called Golf Galaxy and set up my first lesson.  Swing analysis is first step.  I know I am swinging over the top, spinning my hips and im sure many other things.  These things won't correct themselves.  I need help asap.  

That's my next step too. I've never had lessons but I'm sure ready for some!

PING G30 irons 4-pw, uw, sw, lw.

Callaway Big Bertha V-Series driver, 3 wood and Heavenwood. 

Odyssey White Hot putter with 5.0 fatso grip.

Titleist DT Trusoft balls

1 hour ago, PingLuvR said:

1 hour ago, Dozer said:

That's my next step too. I've never had lessons but I'm sure ready for some!

First step is admitting it here. Then it's time to get to work. Welcome to the club.

When you do finally get a good instructor, I'd suggest taking this thread to heart. Practice bit by bit- very specific things  

You might consider logging practice here below. Join the club. Look around the thread and you'll find others from this thread!

Lastly, consider a My Swing thread.  In my signature you can see my example.  Good place for camaraderie and to get guidance from some experts here. I include my instructor guidance to help me keep track of what is happening.  It's a nice journal over time to refer back to.  

Good luck!

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

39 minutes ago, 808hacker said:

I kind of like this lady's explanations:

She makes good points.  Correcting the follow through first.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

15 minutes ago, PingLuvR said:

She makes good points.  Correcting the follow through first.  

I'm a bit skeptical of youtube video fixes. While this is interesting, I believe that fixing the over the top swing (common in bogey golfers) can be more complicated than fixing the follow through. Essentially, she is giving you one feel, and then trusting your body to adapt all the rest of the swing to that follow through feel. There could very well be things that you are doing early in your swing that simply forbid your body to do a correct follow-through.

The follow-through she shows you for the over-the-top swinger is so exaggerated too. I was over-the-top for years, and I had a follow-through that looked decent to my own eye. I wouldn't have known how to change my follow-through based on this video. I'm not sure she gives you enough information on how to know that your follow through is correct. I only went through the video once though. And again, I'm not an instructor.

I'd just warn folks away from solving issues by hunting down youtube clips. If possible, find a good instructor. If not that, post a My Swing thread here, and you will likely get better custom advice on how to fix your biggest priority than you likely will from internet tips that tend to be generic, even if well-meaning.

My Swing

Driver: :ping: G30, Irons: :tmade: Burner 2.0, Putter: :cleveland:, Balls: :snell:

Yes, but she is pretty consistent at explaining the problem.

I agree that lessons can help but I have played with a  ton of people that took lessons and still slice. See them all the time. Sometimes just understanding what is happening can help rather than blindly listening to a teacher.

Edited by 808hacker

3 putted almost every hole, except for the two 4 putts. 5 holes out of 9 in regulation (of which two rolled off the green from bad putts). Had one incomplete hole in regulation (Two 5W and a 56 wedge from 509 yards short left 20 feet from the pin) and my partners "gave" me regulation plus 2 as I left the course. My partner of 3 years told me this was the absolute worst putting he'd ever seen out of me. It was so bad, he volunteered to just give me regulation plus 2 and so that the two of them didn't have to watch me putt. :-P

Payback was on the 5th, which both of my partners took 6 putts a piece because their balls kept coming up short of the pin then rolling back 15 to 20 feet. I hit on the far fringe for an easy tap in par. :-D

Going to work on my putting and short game for the next week or so. . .apparently, there's a very specific and "glaring" weakness. :ninja:

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

On 2/12/2017 at 6:29 PM, RandallT said:

First step is admitting it here. Then it's time to get to work. Welcome to the club.

When you do finally get a good instructor, I'd suggest taking this thread to heart. Practice bit by bit- very specific things  

You might consider logging practice here below. Join the club. Look around the thread and you'll find others from this thread!

Lastly, consider a My Swing thread.  In my signature you can see my example.  Good place for camaraderie and to get guidance from some experts here. I include my instructor guidance to help me keep track of what is happening.  It's a nice journal over time to refer back to.  

Good luck!

Thanks for the advise.  

After working really hard on correcting the over the top and keeping my right elbow tight,  it seems I have over-compensated and am swinging under plane and blocking shots right by keeping the club head open.  I saw a nice drill on YouTube placing a head cover in line with a flat swing.  I think I can fix that rather easily.  First lesson was Thursday.  Having one per week for 10 weeks.  I hope I can figure this out.  Very frustrating.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

• Administrator
13 hours ago, PingLuvR said:

I have worked so hard this past week (video analysis, 1 lesson, range, drills at home) to stop the over the top (chicken wing) swing,  that today caused another huge problem on the course.  Was hitting everything right. So I Googled, "why am I hitting everything right".  I have determined that by working so hard keeping my right elbow in,  that its now causing my club head to drop and am swinging underneath the plane and am too flat and it's causing the club head to be open.   Ughhh,  back to the drawing board.  

I recommend finding an instructor that knows what they're doing and working with them.

You're unlikely going to solve this stuff on your own, and you're going to create a lot of bad habits and ingrain them the longer you proceed.

You likely haven't made any lasting changes in "the past week." Certainly not to the point where you can move on to something else or go "back to the drawing board."

This is a moment of truth. The way you react to this will have a dramatic effect on the way the rest of your golf "career" plays out.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

34 minutes ago, iacas said:

I recommend finding an instructor that knows what they're doing and working with them.

You're unlikely going to solve this stuff on your own, and you're going to create a lot of bad habits and ingrain them the longer you proceed.

You likely haven't made any lasting changes in "the past week." Certainly not to the point where you can move on to something else or go "back to the drawing board."

This is a moment of truth. The way you react to this will have a dramatic effect on the way the rest of your golf "career" plays out.

I started seeing an instructor last week. After the initial swing analysis,  he gave me a couple things to work on.    Working on take a way and swing plane.  Went back for lesson 1 and the  over the top was way better.  But for some reason,  whatever I did to correct the over the top,  caused me to block everything right.  I NEVER hit irons right.  After researching it,  it seems obvious that my swing plane is too flat from over compensating trying to stop the over the top.  

Irons - Ping G410 

Driver - Ping G410

3W - Ping G410

3H - Ping G410 

Putter - Ping Sigma 

1 hour ago, iacas said:

After only two lessons, I am agreeing a lot more than I thought I would. There is no substitute for having a pair of experienced-knowledgeable eyes checking out your swing. I probably have gotten farther in the past month that I did previously in six months.

I believe it's not possible to consistently break a hundred without a good swing. At least a consistent swing. I haven't seen anyone do it. Breaking ninety takes a good swing and good putting?

Wayne

Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!