IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Regularly reader but never posted before. Really enjoying the forums.

I played P&P for years when I was a kid but only took to golf about 5 years ago with maybe one or two round a year before that if even.

Managed after two years to get to 21 in society but then went back to college and only back at it since january. Opening round were all in 110's again and got a 21 handicap as a result coincidentally. Drifted out to 21.5 when I scored 40 points comp and ended up back to 20.3. More drifting and then 37 points this weekend to get back to 20.0 even. happy bunny!!

I've had to do some crazy changes through the year to fix things but finally have a stable swing now, but thats post-driving range talk and after a pep talk from my lesson so who knows.

I hit 90 twice this year which is frustrating as hell and with the weather taking its usual turn for the worst here in Ireland I think I may have to settle for next year. Still its nice to read about others in the same situation.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am the original thread poster and have been away for a while.  After I retired, I gradually stopped posting here.   I found that without the work related stress, I didn't need to find solace in forums like this one.  Meanwhile, I have gradually improved my golf by mostly playing 5 times a week.   My official handicap finally was lowered to 13, something I didn't think I'd achieve again (I did it for one month about 5 years ago - a fluke of a month where I played out of my mind).  So, I am here to post this particular one to assure folks that improvements "do" happen.  Finding out how is yours to figure out and that's the most fun part.  🙂

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Administrator
21 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

I am the original thread poster and have been away for a while.  After I retired, I gradually stopped posting here.   I found that without the work related stress, I didn't need to find solace in forums like this one.

I hope you can still find friendships, solace, and a group of like-minded folks (we are all passionate about the game of golf).

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

My back is healed, and I have finally returned to the game!  Shot a 90 at my local public course before joining a private club and promptly posting a 102 on a much more difficult track.  Redeemed myself last night by scoring a 45 on a quick 9 after work.  Have two more games scheduled for this weekend.  I really want to post at least 1 round in the 80's before the handicap season ends in November!

On 10/5/2018 at 9:57 AM, ChevDog said:

My back is healed, and I have finally returned to the game!  Shot a 90 at my local public course before joining a private club and promptly posting a 102 on a much more difficult track.  Redeemed myself last night by scoring a 45 on a quick 9 after work.  Have two more games scheduled for this weekend.  I really want to post at least 1 round in the 80's before the handicap season ends in November!

welcome back and great job getting below 20 so fast!

May not get below 20 before the end of the year. Still, getting my game, as a whole, on track to do better in the near future, was my focus to this point.  I will focus on keeping my scores in the low 90s upper 80s and HCP will take care of itself.

In My BELDIN Green Bay Packer 1999 SUPER BOWL CHAMPION bag :  :ping: G410 Plus Alta Red CB 55 sr,  GX-7  (acting as a 3 wood)  :ping: 4H, 5H. Sr Flex   :ping:  G400 6i Sr Flex, G-Max 7i. 9i Sr Flex , Glide 2.0  Wedges (50º, 56º, 60º)  :touredge:  Chipper  :ping: Putter: Cadence Mid-TR 350g:bridgestone:  e12 for the items I try to hit on purpose.  :footjoy: on my feet and hands, US Embassy-Singapore hat on my head (with PACKERS, Brewers or UW-Badgers hats as options).

Looks like I lost more game than I thought during my 2 months off.  Shot 97 both days this weekend.  I had finally figured out my driver back in July/August and was hitting a lot of fairways.  Whatever progress I had made is mostly gone.  Missed a lot of fairways this weekend, and even resorted to teeing off with my 5 wood on a few holes just to keep the ball playable.  I need to spend some time at the range this week to find my swing again.

After a lot of range time and a few more rounds, I think that I may have found my game again.  Posted a very depressing 102 on Saturday that consisted of a horrific and ugly 54 on the front, then came back with a 46 on the back side.  Spent more time on the range Sunday morning, then went out to shoot a 90, which got me fired up with a 40 on the back - my best 9 hole score ever!  Handicap is now at 18.4, so I can say that I reached one of my goals for this year of becoming a bogey golfer.  Now I just need to try and shoot that sub 90 round that I have been trying so hard for.

I finally did it!!!  played at a relatively difficult course yesterday (132 slope) and shot an 87!  Handicap is currently trending to 18.0.

Now I just need to start doing this consistently...

• Thumbs Up 1

• Administrator
12 minutes ago, ChevDog said:

I finally did it!!!  played at a relatively difficult course yesterday (132 slope) and shot an 87!  Handicap is currently trending to 18.0.

Congrats. Did you claim your achievement?

Go ahead.

Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

10 minutes ago, ChevDog said:

Well done. 87 is a great score to come away with. Means your game was solid throughout. Scoring 40 over nine holes in your last post just shows what you are capable of. Well done

Sadly for the first time since December 2015 my handicap is back in this bracket, got as low as 13.2, back to 16.5 as of my last round. I hope to leave you guys very soon but for now I look forward to being on this journey again.

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

• 3 weeks later...

Follow up from my prior post on my first driver fitting. Expected mainly a visual fitting but got 1h of trackman time with a range of drivers. The numbers alone were useful to help me know what I’m doing with attack angle and outside in swing path. 

Had been using a used titleist 713D2 with extra stiff shaft. Changed to normal flex and noted some improvements before fitting. Fitting found that an offset Cobra Fmax with 9.5 degree loft improved my dispersion and led to improvement in my slice given my swing speed. Didn’t get much distance improvement but I went for my first new club with basically a free fitting. 

Played 2 rounds so far and my fairways hit have gone up to 70% from 50% so I’ll take that. Assuming will get more distance as I find more fairways and then work on my swing speed. 

Overall was satisfied with the experience and need to figure out how to get out more in the Michigan off season. 

Thanks to all for the advice!

27 minutes ago, paradocs said:

Follow up from my prior post on my first driver fitting.

@paradocs where did you go to get fitted?

Edited by dennyjones

From the land of perpetual cloudiness.   I'm Denny

• 2 months later...

Just ordered Lowest Score Wins from Amazon.  I am pumped to make that next push.  I also received 5 lessons for my Birthday and had one at the end of last season so four more to go!!!  My lowest round has been a 93 and I have been reading a lot lately about course management.   @iacas I can’t wait to get this and start digging in.  

• Thumbs Up 1

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

• Administrator
8 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Just ordered Lowest Score Wins from Amazon.  I am pumped to make that next push.  I also received 5 lessons for my Birthday and had one at the end of last season so four more to go!!!  My lowest round has been a 93 and I have been reading a lot lately about course management.   @iacas I can’t wait to get this and start digging in.  

If you have a chance to cancel it, please consider doing so, and ordering directly from us at https://lowestscorewins.com.

You're buying a used book from Amazon, as we don't sell them on Amazon and we're the only people who sell them new.

• Thumbs Up 1

Note: This thread is 1018 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!