IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My last two rounds I have started trying to use driver again. I had grounded it so far this season while I worked on striking consistency and left it in the bag. I feel I have made substantial strides with irons, but driver still penalizes me. 

I also have allowed negative thoughts to creep in as soon as I start to remove the head cover. I need to practice positive thinking about driver. I know I cannot expect to continue to make substantial progress as it relates to my HI until I can get off the box more effectively. I lack any semblance of confidence with that club at this point. I know that has to change. Extremely frustrating that that club is so difficult for me to hit! 

Driver - Callaway Epic Flash, 3 Wood - Callaway Mavrik, 4 Hybrid - Callaway Big Bertha,

Irons - 5-AW Mavrik Pro's, Putter - Odyssey White Hot OG 1, Ball - Callaway Chrome Soft

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Played back 9 last night at home course.  Goal is always to keep any nine holes under 45 (+9) The black flies were out in full force that I thought they would carry me away....still scratching me legs this morning.

10 - Par 3. 147yd - Missed green right, behind a tree of course.  Took two chips and two putts to get in hole.  (Double Bogey +2)

11 - Par 5, 513y  - Kinda topped a drive, which I never do but still rolled out about 80 yards..duffed 3w and then hit solid 3w up the left (further than first two shots combined).  4th shot was still about 180 out ...missed green left side and short sided myself.  Chip and 2 putts.  (Double Bogey +4)

12 - Par 4, 330y - Seriously pulled/hooked a 3W off the tee than found GUR.  Even with free relief, had not choice but to pitch back out to 100 yd marker.  Hit center green with 2 putts.  (Bogey +5)

13 - Par 4, 345y - Duffed 5W off the tee that barely made it past ladies tee box.  Hit a nice 7i out of crap to put me to the 100 y marker.  Flew it to back of green, 2 putt (Bogey +6)

14 - Par 4, 357y - Hit a great drive finally up the left side, leaving me about 110y.  Pin was back left corner, but I was aiming at middle green....missed my line and went long & left.   Hit a really nice chip that put me in tap in distance.  (Par +6)

15 - Par 4, 336y - Huge dog leg right, my 3w went left but still in fairway.  Typically a straight shot will put you about 120 out from green, I was 160 out.  Hit my 7i and hit back right of green and bounced in water.  Took my drop and chipped in for a Par somehow.  Don't think I have ever parred a hole after taking a penalty stroke.  (Par +6)

Hole 16 - Par 3, 140y - Missed long and right, an okay chip back and 2 putt.   (Bogey +7)

Hole 17 - Par 5, 459y - Nightmare hole....sliced tee shot OOB.  Eventually made my way down to my lay up spot, just in front of 100y marker.  Went long into the water.  Two penalties on one hole.  (Triple Bogey +10)

Hole 18 - Par 4, 280y - Sliced drive but was able to punch out.  As usual, approach went long.  Chipping 4 from back of the green and just like on hole 15, it went in the cup.  (Par +10)

Finished with a 46 total, but it felt like a low 50.   Got extremely lucky on the 2 holes that I chipped in.  For about the last 4 holes, I did almost zero preparation as I just wanted to hit it and run from the black flies. Overall, I did hit some good shots, but not too much felt good like it did in my first two rounds of the season.

Have two rounds lined up this weekend.....Saturday at an away course that is a pretty tough track for me. (70.3/124, 6,245yd) with  enourmous greens....but its a fun course.   Sunday's round will be at the home course.

We all realize that effectively using the driver will lower our scores.  So you trying to force yourself to use it puts you in a bad spot as you can't make your normal turn or whatever with your swing.  At some point you must've hit a good swing, try to recreate that feeling.  Or figure out which of the 5SK you are farthest from and focus on that for a while in your swing.  Is your head starting to move cause you're trying to kill the ball, are you not getting your weight forward cause you're trying to guide the ball out there leading to a non-inline impact position, etc..  

For me, I started to realize that my stress of my driver was causing me to not have a proper sweet spot path (my shoulders were way off line causing a bad hand path, and even pulling my head away from where it started.  Also for me, it's easier for me to focus on staying in balance than trying to keep my head steady as my body has some weird ways it can compensate for keeping my head in one place so that put me in a better position as well as letting me think about less during the swing too which seems to help.

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

Sitting around 22 right now after entering 5 rounds in palm springs in January where I STB on difficult courses, for me.

Started my first two local rounds last week, + 21 (couple of triples) and +15 (no triples-7 pars). 

I gotta remember to stick with sensible decisions to eliminate doubles and triples:

Not to follow a bad shot (I'll always have them) with a stupid shot.

Edited by uitar9
mistake

Played Saturday at one of the tougher courses (for me) in my area which plays as a Par 72, 70.3/124 - 6,245 yds.  Some highlights/lowlights. 

First hole is a 490 y Par 5 - Hit my tee shot weak right and the put a 5w out leaving me 180 to a downhill green.   Hit a 5i clean and looked to be online but once it cleared the hill, I lost sight of it.  As I get closer to the green, my ball is sitting not even 3' from the hole....miracle shot.  For the 3rd consecutive round, I birdie the first hole.  Made bogeys on 2-5.

Hole 6 - 143y Par 3 - had one of my best iron shots of the day.  2 putt par.

Hole 8 - Par 4 that is about 230 to the water from the tee.  Always have played this with my 3w to land safely before the water hazard.  It may be time to switch to 5w or 4i as my tee shot went into the water.  Ended up with Double Bogey.

Finished the front 9 with a 44 which is always excellent here.

Back 9 started off terribly as I went +7 over three holes.  This includes a triple bogey on hole 12.  Tee shot left me ~ 165 to the green.  Flew over it and landed in this spongey type of moss on the back tree line.  Took me 3 freaking shots to get back on the green.

Back 9 was not much to write home about....had back to back pars but that was it.  Came in on 48

44/48 - 92.....I will say, my tee shots, irons, and putter were all working.  Even with a 92, I must have easily lost 10-12 shots from just around the green.  Frustrating but it tells me what to focus on. 

Stats

1 Birdie

3 Pars

9 Bogeys

5 Double +

4 GIR

35 Putts

1 Penalty

Sunday, I played at my home course.  Front 9 was nothing special as I went out with a 45 and I then proceeded to light it up on the first half of the back 9.  I started out Par, Birdie, Par, Par putting me -1 after 4 holes and E after 5 holes.   I then had a disappointing finish of Double, Par, Bogey, Double. 

Finished 45/41 - 86 for the lowest round of the year.   4 rounds in with scores of 89,87,92,86 so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.  I am feeling much more comfortable on most shots from a driver to a putter.  Just need to get the feel back for around the green and hopefully the scores/handicap will drop. 

In those 4 rounds, I have 5 birdies.  In 2019, it took me 16 rounds to get 5 birdies. 

Stats

1 Birdie

6 Pars

7 Bogeys

4 Double +

6 GIR

32 Putts

1 Penalty

Visited my hometown this weekend and played Rockwood Park Golf Course - Par 70, 68.0 / 114 - 5,677y/  Although the course plays short, it is very tricky....you can have perfectly straight drives on each hole and still have a very awkward lie.  There is a lot of hills, mounds, slopes, etc that can make it very challenging.  I was in good shape off the tee most of the day but had more than a few challenging lies that I struggled with.

Hole 1&2 - Standard Bogeys

Hole 3 - Par 3 - 185y - Duffed a 5i off the tee and ended up in penalty area.  Long story short, took a 7 on par 3.

Hole 4 - Perfect 3w leaving me about 140ish.....took me 5 more shots to get in the hole for a double bogey....could be a long day.

Finally by Hole 5, I settle down.  On holes 5-8, I hit all 4 greens in regulation but could only muster out 2 pars and 2 - 3 putt bogeys.  Finished 9 with a bogey as well.

Front 9 - 46

Started back with a bogey and double.  Hole 12 is a short 280y Par 4 with a massive bunker right in front.  Everytime I hit driver, I end up in that bunker.  Tried 3W this time and stayed about 10' short of bunker.  Flipped a nice lob wedge up there and drained the birdie putt.  All 5 of my rounds so far, I have made at least one birdie.

Last 6 holes were fairly standard with a couple of pars, bogeys, and doubles.   On 18, I needed par on the 125y Par 3 to break 90....and I did.

46/43 - 89

Stats

1 Birdie

4 Pars

8 Bogeys

5 Double +

6 GIR

35 Putts

1 Penalty

• 9 months later...

Finally broke 90. I always felt that if I broke 90 it wouldn’t be an 89. And it was 87 but I felt I should be much closer to breaking 80 this round out. It’s a longish course at 6200yards. 

So I started out strong with +6 on my first 9 holes but that was with 3x 3 putting. And on the 9th I hit my first poor shot a bladed 6 iron of the tee that went about 100 yards. I managed to flight a wedge to about 12 feet and 2 putted for bogey. 

I was 7 over coming to the 13th hole that is the most difficult on the course. It’s a 420 yards par 4 and uphill all the way so it plays to about 450-460. I hit an average drive into the rough/mown grass and had a 5 iron in. But long story short 4 poor shots later I was on the green and made a triple. Next hole I 3 putted on a par 3 for a bogey and then on 15 that is a 520 yard par 5 with 2 bends I managed to get a quad bogey for a 9, that should really be a 7 at the worst but I managed to hit a tree when punching out that ricocheted OB. 

So on 3 consecutive holes I had as more strokes over par as over the other 15 combined (8 vs 7). 

On the 18th that is a reachable par 5 (500 downhill) my eagle putt missed by 1/2 inch and lipped out and left me with my only birdie of the day. Would’ve been my first eagle as well.

I really feel the swing changes / practice over the winter are coming into effect and that I should break 90 regularly now. Given the right course and daily form I might actually break 80 this season.

• Thumbs Up 2

• 2 weeks later...

A thread to discuss all aspects of the "bogie golfer". 

Are you in this catagory?

What aspect of your game needs improving?

What does your tee shot shape look like?

What is your driver distance?

Do you take any lessons?

etc?

These are just 'some' of the questions, aspects, that can be addressed in this thread, as it seems like a bogie golfer is a very common golfer!

https://www.liveabout.com/bogey-golfer-definition-1560779

I am just below the handicap level of bogie golfer, but that's ok for posting here. Higher or lower, please post. I think where I struggle the most is with approach shots, hitting the green. When a golfer doesn't hit the green odds are good for at least a bogie. Pulling it, blading it, or chunking it all occasionally happen.

Thomas Gralinski, 2458080

18 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Do you take any lessons?

etc?

These are just 'some' of the questions, aspects, that can be addressed in this thread, as it seems like a bogie golfer is a very common golfer!

I am just below the handicap level of bogie golfer, but that's ok for posting here. Higher or lower, please post. I think where I struggle the most is with approach shots, hitting the green. When a golfer doesn't hit the green odds are good for at least a bogie. Pulling it, blading it, or chunking it all occasionally happen.

We already had a thread on this, so I merged yours into it.

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

53 minutes ago, Billy Z said:

Do you take any lessons?

etc?

Where I will see the most improvement is approaching the green.  Still too many that come up short, left or right, and today was over the green on 9 holes, yep. Was determined not to underclub.

Been working on my "around the green" game and while I still don't get up and down enough, I'm at a comfortable up and 2-putt.  More work here needed.

Tee shot is bit of a fade. I am purposely never trying to draw my tee shot although I will try to straighten it out on the right-to-left doglegs. Recently taught myself a semblance of Aimpoint and I like the confidence of committing to a read. Might be wrong, but I m trying hard to fully commit. Regarding putting, I've been keeping track of length of putts and calculating strokes gained (vs tour). Was quite an eye opener. I was -3.9 strokes gained over 18-hole round.  The other day was +1.2 on my first nine holes and I could tell, felt like "lites-out" putting.  focusing on getting good reads and dropping some 7-15 footers. I wasn't making any.

Driver goes 250 if I torque on it, but usually dial it back 230 or so. I can swing it 110 mph if I try. I have a new (to me) M5 and set the weight bias to fade which forces me to really control the thing else I'll be into power-fade (i.e. slice) territory. (As an aside, I'm not getting any more distance than my previous SLDR,  but the misses are better, so far. )

Haven't really taken lessons.  I probably should.  

Before all this I was definitely bogey-golfer. I've worked hard and maybe a bit better now but I don't think there is a name for it.  Par+ golf?

Plans for future, well, the other day I played from the forward tees, and had more fun golfing than ever before.  3 birdies, and 77 on a par 72 (rating 66, slope 120) and it was great. Actually hit a par 5 in 2 shots (driver:4-iron (3 putt :)) and was driver:7-iron into some.  I learned when they ask you what you scored, they don't ask which tees you played. So my plan is to convince my golf buddies into moving up now and then and keep trying to stay ahead of bogey.

Best all.

Mike

Driver: TM Sim2 9* Ventus Black, M5 9* Kuro Kage
Fwy: TM SLDR 3W, 5W;    Hybrid: TM M1 4 Hybrid
Irons: TM Tour Preferred MC 2014
Wedges: TM Tour Preferred, 52 @ 51*, 56
Putter: Ping Scottsdale TR Anser 2 or Odyssey Rossie

It isn't the hours that you put in at practice that count. It's the way you spend those minutes. -- tony lema

• 2 months later...

I have only broken 90 a few times, just once since last September. Finally had a breakthrough round this weekend. I followed a 105 at a tougher desert course (70.7/137) with an 83 at an easier course (67.9/112).

This year I've been working on the Impact Zone five dynamics

1. The Flat Left Wrist at Impact

2. The Forward Swing Bottom

3. Loading the Club on the Backswing

4. Lagging the Load Through Impact

5. Swinging the Club Along a Straight Plane Line Through the Impact Zone

I've really been struggling with lagging the club. I've stuck with it and am finally seeing some progress, old early release habits have been hard for me to break.

I started tracking my shots over 100 yards, under 100 yards, putts and penalties to see where to focus my practice time. The targets listed below for each category actually target breaking 80, but I feel like this has given me a good guide of where to focus my practice. 

Over 100 yards - 34 (Averaging 38)

Under 100 yards - 16 (Averaging 25)

Putts - 30 (Averaging 34)

Penalties - 0 (Averaging 3)

It became clear that focusing under 100 yards should yield the most benefit. I do realize that poor approach shots from over 100 yards are also contributing to pushing that number up. I started with just 3/4 to full AW until I felt consistent. Then each club I felt consistent with, I'd go to the next. I've been focused on AW-8i and this week will work on 7i. Recently I spent one full range session getting driver dialed in a reliable again.

I have been dedicating some time each week to practice:

• 80% of my range time on wedges through 8i.
  • 20% of range time developing a reliable driver swing.
  • Working to make iron and driver swings feel more similar than different
  • 20 yard chipping in the backyard.
  • Spending time on the putting green, putting to coasters, and putting on a flat steel ruler.

My 83 was composed of 31 swings over 100 yards, 23 under 100 yards, 29 putts, and 0 penalties. This round I limited my clubs to Driver and 5i-LW leaving my 3h and 4i that can get me into trouble in the bag. Also, I am not a long hitter, only 2 drives beyond 240. Only 3 GIR, so chipping and putting were pretty strong.

My 105 was 40 over 100, 29 under 100, 27 putts and 9 penalties. My 3h and 4i resulted in a few of those penalties.

I’m presently playing to an 18.6 but had been struggling with my irons and chipping which was hurting my scores. I played Raintree (North course) in Charlotte and put up my best round in over a year going 44-44 88. My driver was dialed in all day and my irons were crisp and around the green all day. I had one blow up when I hit a weak fade into a trap on a par 3 and took 2 getting out of the trap with the second barely getting to the top edge leading to a triple bogey six. I would have broke my personal best of 87 had I not snap hooked my drive on 18 OB but I’m not going to worry about it. It was a fun round of golf. 

At the end of last season in NY.  I broke 90 a few times.   Haven't done it yet this year.  Lowest is 93.   I'm averaging 1.9 putts per hole, triple putt once, maaaaybe twice per round this year.   Early in season, my iron game was atrocious.   Zero solid contact, all thin, fat or shanks.   For some reason, being off for a few months for winter, I guess I forgot ball position.  This year I tried setting up standard, ball more towards middle, never really realized how far up I played it last season.   Now I got it more towards my front foot, than middle. 

For some reason, I can not sync my driver and my irons together in one round.  When I hit driver well, irons were off.  Now I got my irons hitting well, now I'm snap hooking drivers well short, or OB making my score jump up.   I don't play competitively, so I don't like to ban my driver completely to lower scores (can't get better if you don't use real scenarios), but I like to try to hit anything off the tee that will have me about 130-175 yards in for the second shot.   On a good day, I will consistently get my driver to go 250-275 yards, occasionally more.   But its not fun going driver, wedge more often than not, like I said, can't get any better if you don't use the clubs.   I've shot a 43 and 44 on different 9s this season, so I know the breaking 90 more is around the corner, just need to play a little more often and to keep confident.   

Notice  I didn't talk about wedge game too often, im working on the touch and different approaches, by far the hardest part of my game.  Really looking forward to getting better with this to watch the score drop even more

Edited by Nyrangers1022

Finally broke 90 yesterday and shot a +15. 

Main areas I felt that helped a lot bring the low 90 scores under 90 were the following:

- Got more consistent with driver. Went from slicing almost everything badly to occasionally slicing a third of the time. It is a lot improved from where it was last year, but i feel like it is still the worst club in the bag for me. I feel like i can shave off another 2-4 strokes if I can keep it consistently on the fairway.

- Play a lot more looser and don't overthink things. I tend to tighten up and screw up the short game if i overthink it.

- Don't three putt

- More consistent Iron play. My misses are a lot less horrible w/ the irons compared to last year. 

• 2 weeks later...

Breaking 90 pretty consistently now. An easier course layout helps from 6200 yards out. While the high rough is a death penalty (you are lucky to just get it out, unless your name is Brooks) the fairways roll out more than anytime in recent memory. And while the fairways are hard I can still hold the greens with the height of my iron shots. So last round out I shot an 86 with a 10 on a par 5 (the 10 was a result of me playing gross stableford and not really worrying on stroke play and after I hit my first drive OB on a par 5 I was 270 out laying 4 and really needed to hit the green to have any chance of scoring a gross point so I whacked my 3 wood and it just went into a water hazard) and a 6 on a par 3, where I hit my greenside bunker shot out of a “concrete” bunker way too hard and it went over the green (I didn’t blade it I just gave it too much as I expected the club to go into the ground much softer than it did).  The rest were 10 pars and 6 bogeys. 

And so I have really experienced in first hand what a difference conditions make. If I go play the same course I nearly broke 80 on now, and I probably would break 80 if I went to play every day for the next 2 weeks, I will be struggling to break 90 when fall hits and those 400 yard uphill par 4s turn from driver - 8 iron into driver 4 iron. 

Shot an 86 last week, first time breaking 90 this season.  Shooting a 39 on back nine was a great accomplishment for me.  First time ever breaking 40 on a 9.     Front I had 4 doubles in a row from 6-9.   9th hole is a uphill par 5.  Duck hook driver 120 yards into right rough.   Then 3 straight tops.  Now I'm shooting 5 from 165 yards away,thinking here it is, the ultimate blowup.   Stuck the green and 2 putted for a 7, crisis avoided.   I was walking and pushing a cart, my out of shape a** must not like swinging a club while huffing for air in the Florida like humidity 😂

Scoring low 90s and better consistently, I see keeping the ball in play and putting is the main factor.

Edited by Nyrangers1022

Shot 92 on a track I usually struggle with. 44-48 split. Was on pace for a 41-42 on front before a sloppy triple cost me a chance at my low 9. Played well but could not putt at all. Should have been an 87 or 88 if not for many 3 putts. 

Note: This thread is 988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!