IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

By dispersion, I mean repeatability. I need to learn Key 5 before getting accuracy.

I was actually trying to imply that I thought your accuracy was already really good.  How do you score that poorly when you hit the ball that close?

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lihu

By dispersion, I mean repeatability. I need to learn Key 5 before getting accuracy.

I was actually trying to imply that I thought your accuracy was already really good.  How do you score that poorly when you hit the ball that close?

I haven't really scored that poorly lately, but you are correct. I need to figure out what exact things I need to get the ball to go exactly where I want it to go.

Well, I hope to put in two early rounds this weekend. It will rain tomorrow morning, so we'll see if it affects my score.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I haven't really scored that poorly lately, but you are correct. I need to figure out what exact things I need to get the ball to go exactly where I want it to go.

Well, I hope to put in two early rounds this weekend. It will rain tomorrow morning, so we'll see if it affects my score.

I'm guessing your HC is going to turn out better than you think.  Maybe your course is really hard?  But it sounds like you are hitting it really accurately.

My HC is a little below 18, but if I was to describe by dispersion pattern, I'd have to call it all over the place.  Except maybe long and right over the pin.  That doesn't happen often.  Unless it is really ugly there.  But otherwise, kind of all over the place.  I'd feel great about getting a significant amount of 6i's within 60 feet of the pin.

Quote:

I'm guessing your HC is going to turn out better than you think.  Maybe your course is really hard?  But it sounds like you are hitting it really accurately.

My HC is a little below 18, but if I was to describe by dispersion pattern, I'd have to call it all over the place.  Except maybe long and right over the pin.  That doesn't happen often.  Unless it is really ugly there.  But otherwise, kind of all over the place.  I'd feel great about getting a significant amount of 6i's within 60 feet of the pin.

If you actually measure your 6i it might not be as bad as you think. 60 feet of the pin is usually NOT on the green. It is good for an up and down or a bunker shot of some kind. You need to be less than 20 feet of the pin to get on the green consistently.

This is probably one of the main things that differentiates us bogey guys with the low single digit/scratch guys.

Many of the good golfers are talking about 5 yard accuracy up to 150 yards and 7-8 yard accuracy to 175 yards.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Distance is a problem because I use range balls, and some are limited flight balls, this causes many shots over 150 yards to come up a little bit short. So, I save all the Titleist "range" balls and keep them for the stats. I end up hitting them all to specific targets to confirm the greater than 150 yard dispersion estimates.

Can you tell, I am an Archer? I like doing these things at the archery range as well, but everyone else does the same. We're a bit OCD about distances. When you are trying to hit a 12cm (10 ring) target from 70m away, you get that way.

Good point on the distance for range balls. I started noticing that even a moderate amount of "smoothing" of the dimple points really makes the ball fall out of the air and move in crazy patterns sometimes. I have started sorting them out and hit the better balls with longer clubs if possible. Usually just end up leaving the smoothest balls behind unless I'm working on a shortish club.

No I don't know anything about archery really ... found a few arrows earlier this year cutting through the woods on the way to play and someone said archery season for deer was open, didn't give me a warm and fuzzy feeling :-O that is my sum total knowledge.

Thanks for the info on how you arrived at gathering your yardage data, kind of clever really.  I don't have shot dispersion data on any clubs except SW and my best day I recorded was +/- 5 yards direction and +/- 12 yards distance on six 50-80 yard shots (even then I excluded one shot because it was fat and didn't get half way to the hole). I have a feeling if I did start gathering data on more clubs the numbers would be astronomically large, something to think about I guess.

Sometimes I actually use an old scorecard in my bag and try to virtually play whatever course it was.

...   I also simulate on course scenario.  There are few courses I remember all the holes.  I go through the clubs as if I am playing the course.   If I miss a drive and left 200 yard to green with no danger  spots around, I "go" for it with my 200 yard club.  Then, on to next hole.   Try it when you can't play in field b/c of rain.

I used to finish most range sessions by playing a virtual 9 hole course the same way I think you both mean. The other thing I would do sometimes is pick a distance and try and hit three shots with every iron in the bag to that spot. These days I usually just hit one club for the entire session, it is hard to know what is optimal without some professional help.

Mike

I might green one from 6i distance once every few rounds.  I'll lean on the PGA tour stats again.  My 6i is in the 150-175 category.  Ian Poulter, Brandt Snedeker, Matt Kuchar etc green it from this distance about 60% of the time.  I'd think a bogey golfer is looking at maybe 5% from this range? 10%? 20%?

With a 9i pattern of 10 yards, you would rarely miss the green.  That is in the 125-150 for me.  Tiger from that distance?  70%.

With accuracy like this, I wouldn't think of a bogey golfer.  Did I miss something?  Is everyone here this tight?

I think you are looking too much at PGA tour stats and trying too hard to correlate them to your own game.   I suspect that if a PGA tour player was to spend the season just aiming for the center of the green instead of trying to hit it close, they would probably be hitting the greens something north of 80% regardless of the iron.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I think you are looking too much at PGA tour stats and trying too hard to correlate them to your own game.   I suspect that if a PGA tour player was to spend the season just aiming for the center of the green instead of trying to hit it close, they would probably be hitting the greens something north of 80% regardless of the iron.

I'll take this one step further and say that if their goal was simply make fairways and GIR, they'd probably be able to make 100%.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

[quote name="teamroper60" url="/t/70872/bogey-golfer-only-thread-handicap-index-from-16-22-what-are-you-going-through-working-on-sob-stories/420#post_927080"] I think you are looking too much at PGA tour stats and trying too hard to correlate them to your own game.   I suspect that if a PGA tour player was to spend the season just aiming for the center of the green instead of trying to hit it close, they would probably be hitting the greens something north of 80% regardless of the iron.

I'll take this one step further and say that if their goal was simply make fairways and GIR, they'd probably be able to make 100%.[/quote] I'll take this even further and say that the high school students aspiring to be PGA pros, can do the same. I've seen them do it. Look at one of the posts from a teen that made a course record on this site. I watched 10 aspiring teens make the tenth hole green on Brookside course 1 in GIR all of them doing it one after another. It only took 20 minutes to watch them. The scoreboard stated one teen breaking par 2 days in a row under competition conditions. Every teen drove the ball over 290, some used a 3W. For the 10 I watched 7 landed the fairway, and all of the were GIR. I think at least 5 birdied it. So, these are the teens aspiring to be PGA pros, what can the pros do? I'm impressed just thinking about it.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I'll take this even further and say that the high school students aspiring to be PGA pros, can do the same. I've seen them do it. Look at one of the posts from a teen that made a course record on this site.

I watched 10 aspiring teens make the tenth hole green on Brookside course 1 in GIR all of them doing it one after another. It only took 20 minutes to watch them. The scoreboard stated one teen breaking par 2 days in a row under competition conditions.

Every teen drove the ball over 290, some used a 3W. For the 10 I watched 7 landed the fairway, and all of the were GIR. I think at least 5 birdied it.

So, these are the teens aspiring to be PGA pros, what can the pros do? I'm impressed just thinking about it.

That's quite impressive. I guess I was too conservative with my estimate.

Point is, pros generally miss greens because they're trying to tuck the ball close to hard pin locations, not because of lack of skill.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Originally Posted by billchao

Quote:

Originally Posted by teamroper60

I'll take this one step further and say that if their goal was simply make fairways and GIR, they'd probably be able to make 100%.

I'll take this even further and say that the high school students aspiring to be PGA pros, can do the same. I've seen them do it. Look at one of the posts from a teen that made a course record on this site.

I watched 10 aspiring teens make the tenth hole green on Brookside course 1 in GIR all of them doing it one after another. It only took 20 minutes to watch them. The scoreboard stated one teen breaking par 2 days in a row under competition conditions.

Every teen drove the ball over 290, some used a 3W. For the 10 I watched 7 landed the fairway, and all of the were GIR. I think at least 5 birdied it.

So, these are the teens aspiring to be PGA pros, what can the pros do? I'm impressed just thinking about it.

This just made me a bit sad because there's very little chance I'll ever be that good.

Christian

:tmade::titleist:  :leupold:  :aimpoint: :gamegolf:

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/70872/bogey-golfer-only-thread-handicap-index-from-16-22-what-are-you-going-through-working-on-sob-stories/432#post_927097"] I'll take this even further and say that the high school students aspiring to be PGA pros, can do the same. I've seen them do it. Look at one of the posts from a teen that made a course record on this site. I watched 10 aspiring teens make the tenth hole green on Brookside course 1 in GIR all of them doing it one after another. It only took 20 minutes to watch them. The scoreboard stated one teen breaking par 2 days in a row under competition conditions. Every teen drove the ball over 290, some used a 3W. For the 10 I watched 7 landed the fairway, and all of the were GIR. I think at least 5 birdied it. So, these are the teens aspiring to be PGA pros, what can the pros do? I'm impressed just thinking about it.[/QUOTE] That's quite impressive. I guess I was too conservative with my estimate. Point is, pros generally miss greens because they're trying to tuck the ball close to hard pin locations, not because of lack of skill.

Agreed. The courses they play on are much harder to play.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

well since the onset of Winter, fighting golf withdrawal will be paramount. The past year I started shooting in the 100's and after knocking the rust off got into the low 90's, but that took 4 months golfing twice a week. My GIR was around 4, and was hitting 25% of fairways. I  reeled back my drives about 30-50 yds and cured the slice/hook  which got my fairways up to 50% and traded out 2 sets of fitted irons i'd been shooting for the last 40 rounds and upped my GIR to 5.5. but still too many(bad) wedge shots from 1 to 30 yds, but was shooting mid 80's. I discovered my lob wedge had no relief grind to the sole/toe which caught the fluffy fringes and opened the face on short chips. I substituted my 7-iron with a putt stroke and cured that...too little, too late to help my handicap. I figure that I need to do some winter practice, replace my stock irons with correctly fitted ones and replace my lob wedge with one that has a T or M grind. I like to get out of the burrow in March shooting better than 100.

[QUOTE name="Lihu" url="/t/70872/bogey-golfer-only-thread-handicap-index-from-16-22-what-are-you-going-through-working-on-sob-stories/432#post_927027"] I haven't really scored that poorly lately, but you are correct. I need to figure out what exact things I need to get the ball to go exactly where I want it to go. Well, I hope to put in two early rounds this weekend. It will rain tomorrow morning, so we'll see if it affects my score. [/QUOTE] I'm guessing your HC is going to turn out better than you think.  Maybe your course is really hard?  But it sounds like you are hitting it really accurately. My HC is a little below 18, but if I was to describe by dispersion pattern, I'd have to call it all over the place.  Except maybe long and right over the pin.  That doesn't happen often.  Unless it is really ugly there.  But otherwise, kind of all over the place.  I'd feel great about getting a significant amount of 6i's within 60 feet of the pin.

Going to have to learn to putt under more conditions than fair and sunny. Only way is to go out more in the winter. Like we predicted, my long game and irons were okay, but my putting was really atrocious. Tallying it up, I lost at least 6 strokes to 3 putts. Should have made at least one or two of the 8 footers. My pitch shots were okay, but not dialed in for the course. I need to get better than 5 yards from 40 to 80 yards. More short game practice for me.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Going to have to learn to putt under more conditions than fair and sunny. Only way is to go out more in the winter.

You'd have to find some winter first :-P

Like we predicted, my long game and irons were okay, but my putting was really atrocious. Tallying it up, I lost at least 6 strokes to 3 putts. Should have made at least one or two of the 8 footers.

I think you're being too hard on yourself, or possibly unrealistic. Even pros only make 50% from five to ten feet.

Bill

My Swing Thread

Quote:

Going to have to learn to putt under more conditions than fair and sunny. Only way is to go out more in the winter.

You'd have to find some winter first

Quote:

Like we predicted, my long game and irons were okay, but my putting was really atrocious. Tallying it up, I lost at least 6 strokes to 3 putts. Should have made at least one or two of the 8 footers.

I think you're being too hard on yourself, or possibly unrealistic. Even pros only make 50% from five to ten feet.

Yeah, but they don't make 3 putts either. Even 2 would have been a small percentage of the total opportunities.

I'll see how I do tomorrow morning.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Yeah, but they don't make 3 putts either. Even 2 would have been a small percentage of the total opportunities. I'll see how I do tomorrow morning.

They do, just not as often as we do. If you're leaving yourself with eight feet to go on the green, it's less of an issue that you need to make more putts from eight feet as much as you need to get those first putts closer. That's why pros rarely three putt, they get those first putts to gimme distances.

Bill

My Swing Thread

I am with billchao on this.  To me, the easier way to reduce total putts is through chipping (getting the ball closer to pin) and getting the 1st putt into tap-in range.  Yesterday, I had 30 putts without a 2 putt.  Made most putts less than 5 feet.  But I don't think I've made any putt longer than 10 feet.

OTHO, on Friday, I forgot to bring my putter and had to use my wife's.   41 putts, LOL!  It is the most ever putt I've made since I kept record.   She has a mullet putter (I don't), regular grip (I have jumbo grip), and bright pink color which I was blinded by every time I hold it close to my eye :-D .   With a completely different putter, I just could not lag it close, missed come-backers which led to six 3 putts.   Lessen leaned?   Bring your putter :doh: .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

well since the onset of Winter, fighting golf withdrawal will be paramount. The past year I started shooting in the 100's and after knocking the rust off got into the low 90's, but that took 4 months golfing twice a week. My GIR was around 4, and was hitting 25% of fairways. I  reeled back my drives about 30-50 yds and cured the slice/hook  which got my fairways up to 50% and traded out 2 sets of fitted irons i'd been shooting for the last 40 rounds and upped my GIR to 5.5. but still too many(bad) wedge shots from 1 to 30 yds, but was shooting mid 80's. I discovered my lob wedge had no relief grind to the sole/toe which caught the fluffy fringes and opened the face on short chips. I substituted my 7-iron with a putt stroke and cured that...too little, too late to help my handicap. I figure that I need to do some winter practice, replace my stock irons with correctly fitted ones and replace my lob wedge with one that has a T or M grind. I like to get out of the burrow in March shooting better than 100.

Are there modest courses that might stay open weather permitting like Broadview or Indian Hills, both off 16 toward Columbus (don't know the courses toward Newark)? Or is it just not worth the hassle? I think winter golf has it's own set of charms and can be quite fun at times.

Mike

Note: This thread is 997 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!