IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

My ball striking is getting a little better. One disturbing fact that came up is the range ball distances. Two of my favorite courses just switched to limited flight balls. After talking with the shop manager, I found out that they go anywhere from 10% to 20% less than my regular ball. Some of them actually have "limited flight" printed on them, these feel like a lump of lead. This topic is in another thread. If you only have time to hit at the range, then how do you translate the distances? I might have to go early mornings to get some rounds in. It's tough being a bogey golfer. :-(

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I am basically a bogey golfer.  I have been playing golf for around 40 years, so I will impart some "wisdom", or at least what I think I have learned.

If you haven't done so, take a lesson. There have been many self taught golfers, but many times what you think you are doing and what you are really doing are two different things. Golf is a difficult game, and it is harder if you aren't grounded in the fundamentals.

Practice with a purpose. As others have said, loosen up and work on things on the range, and try to not do that when you are playing.

Clubs are a factor, and I believe you generally can play better with better clubs and clubs that fit you, but that doesn't necessarily mean new clubs.

Also as others have said, plan a strategy that works to your strengths and stick with it. If you see things that you could do better, then work on those on the range/short game area. Try not to make major changes mid round--as Sam Snead said, "you gotta dance with who you brung".

This is a wonderful thread. dbuck has a number of great points for bogey golfers, and is well worth reading. Even though I am not currently a 16+ handicap golfer, I started there almost 40 years ago, and was able to get into single digits and stay there, (currently a 9). So, here is a brief summary of my journey...

From my teen years until my mid-20's I was a solid bogey golfer, a 15-18 handicap.  So, while I was still single and living at home with my parents, I invested one month of my salary and signed up for a Golf Digest school. Here I was given the basic fundamentals to develop a repeating swing that would produce a decent distance off the tee and a consistent distance with my irons. I practiced religiously, either in my back yard or at a driving range, and then took it to the course with my goal being consistency,

After getting married, my wife's grandfather gave me the best advice I ever received, "Go out in the back yard and chip balls into a laundry basket."  By working on my short game, I have been able to avoid the double and triple bogies that plague the higher handicapper. I also recommend Dave Pelz's "Short Game Bible" to help with shots from 100 yards and closer to the green. With the loss of distance as I approach my mid-60's, a strong short game has helped me keep my handicap at single digits.

Finally, Dave Pelz did a study on the percentage of putts made on the PGA tour: 3 Feet: 83%;   6 Feet: 55%;  10 Feet: 33%;  15 Feet:   17%;   25 Feet: 10% .  With this in mind, it goes to reason that the average golfer makes an even lower percentage of putts than a PGA pro.  So, for me, on any putt longer than 10 feet my goal is to see how close I can roll the putt to the hole.  Sometimes the ball will even fall in the cup, but more times than not, I have a tap-in and avoided the dreaded three putt.

dbuck 's point about clubs is valid. Fitted clubs are preferable to non-fitted. I am 6'3" and play irons that are one inch longer than standard. Also, for me, a brand name golf club is preferable to generic clubs. I have bought a number of brand name golf clubs off of eBay at very reasonable prices. These clubs are two or three years old, but are just as good as the newer ones. I currently have two different sets of clubs that I use, a "Summer Bag" and a "Winter Bag." (See my signature for makes and models.) So, if you have the resources, having a few extra clubs in the basement can add to the enjoyment of the game.

So there it is, my tips for moving from a bogey golfer to single digits, and staying there:

#1 - Take lessons and develop a golf swing under the direction of a golf professional

#2 - Work on your short game to avoid the double and triple bogeys

#3 - Lag any putt over 10 feet to avoid three putts

#4 - Find clubs that are a good fit for you

I can honestly say that in my later years I only get to the range about 5 to 10 times per summer, but the well founded fundamentals and personal strategies that I have developed over the years have kept me a happy golfer. Just remember:  golf is a journey, not a destination.  I love this game!

• Upvote 1

Drivers: Bag 1 - TM R11 (10.5°); Bag 2 - Ping G5 (9°),
Fairway woods: #1 - TM RBZ Tour (14.5°) & TM System 2 Raylor (17°); #2 - TM Burner (15°) & TM V-Steel (18°)
Hybrid: #1 - TM Rocketballz (19°); #2 - Ping G5 (19°)
Irons: #1 - Ping i3+; #2 - Hogan Edge  (both 4-pw, +1" shaft)
Wedges: #1 - Ping i3+ U wedge (52°) & Ping Eye 2+ BeCu (60°); #2 - Ping ISI Sand BeCu (52°) & Cleveland CG11 lob (60°)
Putters: Ping B60i & Anser 2, Odyssey White Steel 2-Ball & White Hot XG #9, Lamkim Jumbp grips
Golf Balls: Titleist Pro V1, Bridgestone B330, Callaway SR1, Slazenger Grips: Lamkin Crossline
Golf Shoes: Footjoy & Adidas; Golf Glove: Footjoy StaSof®; Golf Bag: Ping Hoofer
I love this game! :-D

Strategy for this hole, bogey buddies?

Tee to end of 1st LZ, mid iron (160 or so) to end of 2nd LZ, mid iron to green. Distance control a must, long hitters are suckered here daily. Get out of the landing zones and you are in a world of trouble.
  • Upvote 1

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

Sob story?  Not really, but...

I don't understand why I keep making the same stupid mistakes!  Several times a round, I find myself watching some lousy shot (again), and I'm thinking to myself, "Stop over-swinging!"  The next 7-10 shots are fine, and suddenly I'm lashing out at the ball again.  For some reason, I just keep wanting to hit the ball as hard as I fricken can even though I know I hit it better, more consistently, and (usually) even longer with a controlled swing.

The other thing that kills me is following every great shot with an equally poor one.  Bomb a drive straight down the middle of the fairway around 260-270 (that's long for me - I'm normally a 230-240 guy), and my next shot will be chunked into water or sand.  (Of course, I follow lousy shots with lousy ones too.  ...that's why I'm posting in this thread! ;) )

The other thing I keep waiting for is the ability to 'feel' my swing.  All these people I play with talk about their shots, and it's "Oh I was too steep there.", "I left my club-face open on that one.", "I got a bit lost in the transition there.", "I wasn't connected on that.", "I came too much over the top there.", etcetera.  Anyway, I have ZERO sense of my swing.  I know somethings from watching the ball flight and looking at divots, but I just don't have any sense of what my body or club is doing.  And what little sense I have is clearly wrong.  I can try to swing 30 degrees right of the target, and I really feel like that's what I did, and my divot will be basically on a line straight at the target (or even to the left of the target).  ...the feel - thing just seems like a fraud to me.

Nearing the end of my second year of trying to learn the game and at the age of 52, I know I will never be a single-digit player - probably never get below 20. Yet the game is still as incredibly fun to play and it is difficult to learn.

Not so fast, JonMA1.  I started golf at age 48 and am at your age now (well, pretty close).   I've got down below 20 after a few years of golf.   It shouldn't take you too much to get below 20 if you practice regularly.   IMO, good short game can quickly (relatively speaking) lower your scores from 100+ to 90 something.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

....Looks like you really have only one option - play it like a series of three par-3s.

I would probably play it like this:

1) Slice 5-wood or hybrid into the pond off the tee. 3rd shot takes you about 200 yards off the tee.

2) Skull next shot into the stream/run-off. 6th shot puts you in the rough just behind a tree on the left side. Yup, you played for a slice/fade, but you sort of pulled it instead.

3) Your attempt at the hero shot around the bush fails so badly that you are now in the short grass, 145 yards from the center of the green.

4) 8th shot is nice. Awesome - you're on the green! (barely)

5) Leave your put 25' short, then amazingly sink the next putt for your 10.

6) Walk off the hole not knowing if you added up the score right --- you just know that your chance at a sub-bogey round of golf is done.  Crap.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Been playing 3 years now - started at 46.    Limited flexibility, overweight, but have improved considerably up until about 6 months ago - things have really stagnated - every round lately is in the 85-91 slot, which I'm not unhappy with, just not happy with the lack of improvement as of late & utter consistency.    Got in 102 rounds so far this year to date & 3 serious practice rounds.     Obviously, I like to play rather than practice.

After much soul searching and analyzing my game in detail to try and identify my glaring weaknesses, I came up with the following:

- Driving is my strong suit - I swing fairly smooth & get it out there 230-250 consistently in or near the fairway, usually don't have any OB's.     Chipping is solid - I actually do practice this in my backyard & living room (into a chipping net to my wifes chagrin) - I could always work on getting it closer, but I rarely blade or fat a chip.    Putting is not good - just don't have a knack for reading greens - seen some improvement lately, but it's the second weakest part of my game.      Worst part of my game is GIR's.    I make fairly solid contact with my mid to long irons/hybrids,  BUT have no directional control.     I don't slice or hook them, they just rarely go where I want them to - usually close to pin high but right of left of the green.    Wedges - usually on the green someplace, but putts are waaaaaay longer than they should be - contact & direction could be much better.     So, I realize now after much soul searching that if I ever want to get anywhere close to single digits, I have to actually PRACTICE my approach game (GIR's) & really tighten it up (fortunately, I have a practice field at my local muni that is perfect for this kind of practice).      Putting is what it is - I can live with my ineptness & not get overly worried about it, but at least I know where my efforts need to be focused going forward - GIR's !!!!!!

Wow, your story is almost identical to mine except on putting.   I am good at putting b/c  I practiced it a lot (on kitchen floor, on carpet, lag putts, short putts, using home made devices to perfect pendulum swing, ...).   My focus now is improving 2nd shot for getting more GIRs & getting out of deep & large bunkers (my home course have lots of them).  Good luck to us both.

(My wife tolerates turning my house into practice range only b/c she is also hooked on golf :-) .)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Tee to end of 1st LZ, mid iron (160 or so) to end of 2nd LZ, mid iron to green. Distance control a must, long hitters are suckered here daily. Get out of the landing zones and you are in a world of trouble.

Based on what you are showing there, for me it would be 21* hybrid and two 8-irons to the green....

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

The picture says it all.  Hit tee shot to the 1st FW, iron into 2nd one, wedge into 3rd, chip into green, and make two putts.   Easier said than done for bogey golfers as any of the 1st 3 shots can end up in rough, water, etc..

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

....Looks like you really have only one option - play it like a series of three par-3s.

1) Slice 5-wood or hybrid into the pond off the tee. 3rd shot takes you about 200 yards off the tee.

2) Skull next shot into the stream/run-off. 6th shot puts you in the rough just behind a tree on the left side. Yup, you played for a slice/fade, but you sort of pulled it instead.

3) Your attempt at the hero shot around the bush fails so badly that you are now in the short grass, 145 yards from the center of the green.

4) 8th shot is nice. Awesome - you're on the green! (barely)

5) Leave your put 25' short, then amazingly sink the next putt for your 10.

6) Walk off the hole not knowing if you added up the score right --- you just know that your chance at a sub-bogey round of golf is done.  Crap.

LOL.   Can someone point Roblar to a double boogey golfer thread, please?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

....Looks like you really have only one option - play it like a series of three par-3s.   I would probably play it like this: 1) Slice 5-wood or hybrid into the pond off the tee. 3rd shot takes you about 200 yards off the tee. 2) Skull next shot into the stream/run-off. 6th shot puts you in the rough just behind a tree on the left side. Yup, you played for a slice/fade, but you sort of pulled it instead. 3) Your attempt at the hero shot around the bush fails so badly that you are now in the short grass, 145 yards from the center of the green. 4) 8th shot is nice. Awesome - you're on the green! (barely) 5) Leave your put 25' short, then amazingly sink the next putt for your 10. 6) Walk off the hole not knowing if you added up the score right --- you just know that your chance at a sub-bogey round of golf is done.  Crap.

Were you playing behind me last weekend? ;-)

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Strategy for this hole, bogey buddies? [URL=http://thesandtrap.com/content/type/61/id/85953/] [/URL] [SPOILER=Warning: Spoiler!]Tee to end of 1st LZ, mid iron (160 or so) to end of 2nd LZ, mid iron to green. Distance control a must, long hitters are suckered here daily. Get out of the landing zones and you are in a world of trouble.[/SPOILER]

I looked at the first shot, and the 216 would put me right in the OB spot. I would need to lay up with a 4i from the closest tee box. The second tee box would require more accuracy an I currently have. Looks like a tough hole, I would need to see it before deciding how to pay it. BTW, what is the altitude?

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Starting from the middle tee spot: a 4W and probably 6i and 6i. (Maybe a 7i on third shot if pin was up front).

Focus, connect and follow through!

• Completed KBS Education Seminar (online, 2015)
  • GolfWorks Clubmaking AcademyFitting, Assembly & Repair School (2012)

Driver:  :touredge: EXS 10.5°, weights neutral   ||  FWs:  :callaway: Rogue 4W + 7W
Hybrid:  :callaway: Big Bertha OS 4H at 22°  ||  Irons:  :callaway: Mavrik MAX 5i-PW
Wedges:  :callaway: MD3: 48°, 54°... MD4: 58° ||  Putter:image.png.b6c3447dddf0df25e482bf21abf775ae.pngInertial NM SL-583F, 34"  
Ball:  image.png.f0ca9194546a61407ba38502672e5ecf.png QStar Tour - Divide  ||  Bag: :sunmountain: Three 5 stand bag

I looked at the first shot, and the 216 would put me right in the OB spot. I would need to lay up with a 4i from the closest tee box. The second tee box would require more accuracy an I currently have. Looks like a tough hole, I would need to see it before deciding how to pay it.

BTW, what is the altitude?

Yardage is Red 505, White 546, Blue 569. Altitude 5100ft.

The rough before the first ditch starts about 245 from the middle tee. Fairway is decently wide here, but the rough is long thick and heavy. Use whatever club to stop short of the end of the landing zone. Attempting to cross the ditch from the tee really holds no advantage as GIR still requires 2 iron shots.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Starting from the middle tee spot: a 4W and probably 6i and 6i. (Maybe a 7i on third shot if pin was up front).

Well played!

Good reason to learn to hit mid irons accurately.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

The picture says it all.  Hit tee shot to the 1st FW, iron into 2nd one, wedge into 3rd, chip into green, and make two putts.   Easier said than done for bogey golfers as any of the 1st 3 shots can end up in rough, water, etc..

If you can work on your 150 yrd iron, GIR is cake on this hole. The 3rd LZ  is no wider than the green itself, but receptive to running a slightly short shot up on the green.

Play your first 2 as planned, but go for the GIR! If you miss, chip it close and one putt.

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

1) Slice 5-wood or hybrid into the pond off the tee. 3rd shot takes you about 200 yards off the tee...

The water is a lateral, you can take a stroke and drop in the rough if desired. Not too hard to save bogey from there, both my son in law and I have actually made par from there by cutting the corner over the ditches and trees to the 3rd LZ. Wedge close and 1putt. Hero shot, 200 yrd fairway wood from the rough, but has been done.

BTW - We play Stableford, blowups don't hurt so much!

Craig

Old Master - TZ Putter

Quote:
what are you working on

Above all, temperament. Learning to accept that to start threatening (or even breaking) 80, which is where I was 15 years ago, is dependent (for me, at least), upon playing every day.

Being a university student was great. The local municipal had dirt cheap student green fees, and I played practically every afternoon or evening.

Those days are long past. I have to make do with playing once a week, and there's a certain amount of damage control that comes into play, because it's hard for me to pick up any real touch playing that sporadically. My game has actually got worse over the last 6 months (playing ever more infrequently, because of work and family obligations).

Note: This thread is 988 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!