IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Both of you, get a room.   This is a respected thread where bogey golfers come to whine.  Start whining, and stop with the love fest :-P .

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Sorry for delay. Catching up. Work interferes with lots.........

The main thing I have done is begin employing a wrist cock, I guess it is called. I've been concerned I am flipping and may encounter negative repercussions long term, but the line between flipping and releasing is a little blurred.

But at this point, by concentrating initially on cocking the wrists, where at the top of my backswing, the club is a little more toward the target, and coming to the ball with a little  more looseness (relaxed), I am getting extra clubhead speed. I have also worked on slowing my backswing and turning rather than sliding hips on the backswing. But I am probably just getting to where most of you already are. I was woefully short before.

Still struggling for consistency, though..... I had a range session a few weeks ago where I hit nine of ten on the button. It's been difficult to translate that to the course. And yesterday, at the range, I might have hit two of ten decent, the rest going all over the place. It's going further when I hit it, but it's hard to make pars when you can't even put three consecutive shots together.

Still struggling for consistency, though..... I had a range session a few weeks ago where I hit nine of ten on the button. It's been difficult to translate that to the course. And yesterday, at the range, I might have hit two of ten decent, the rest going all over the place. It's going further when I hit it, but it's hard to make pars when you can't even put three consecutive shots together.

I'm guessing that lack of consistency is a common theme in this thread and is probably the major stumbling block when it comes to us becoming better golfers.

my get up and go musta got up and went..

Missed my chance to finally break 90 today. Front 9 was 47 but had a good back 9 with 43. Had 2 birdies and some pars but had two holes that ruined everything. One + 4, and one double, both were cause by the 3 bunkers shots. Especially my last hole when I only need a bogey to break 90. Pulled my driver a little left fairway, hit my 6 iron to the right bunker. Took 3 shots to get out and 1 put for the double. This is the second times I missed breaking 90 in the last hole. Maybe need to work on my mental more. My goal is bringing my handicap to under 20 this year. Only 3 months left.

I'm on the cusp of breaking out of the target group for this. After a swing change last year my scores crept back up to 90 plus but now back in the high 80's. I really have switched my focus to strategy. My game is reliable but not stellar. I have hit hundreds of wedges in my garden to get comfortable with the feel of shots. I started making progress when I got my head away from a swing model. This helped in the full swing enormously. It's now a case of working on a priority piece to refine my swing rather than make changes. Got a superstroke grip on my putter mid slim which has transformed my feel for putts. Short game is now starting to bail me out a bit. Recommend taking all your stats. Got a mobile app that has GPS and the ability to record all major stats as you play. A real eye opener. It also helps me remember why I scored double bogey or failed to get a par. The improvement needs to come from better decisions on certain holes. As a 16 really I should examine the stroke index and play for a 3 shot approach on those tough par 4's to take a double or a triple out of play. Irons are a strong part of my game so better than than my handicap there. Possibly 1-9 stroke index I play those conservatively leaving a short pitch. Just experimenting with what I'm capable of. Really think there's a low 80's round to be had. I come home better than going out and have a few back nines at 41. Front nine I have never shot sub 45 so something to address but it shows I mentally warm to the challenge rather than lose it. Things to work on it's those finesse pitches and chips. 1st putt has to be good. Tee shot driver still not reliable enough to be weapon. Picking more variety of clubs off the tee to get on in 2 according to the hole layout and distance. Perhaps first 4 holes playing stingy golf play my way in by not going for more until I'm grooved to solve the front nine scores.

"Repetition is the chariot of genius"

Driver: BENROSS VX PROTO 10.5
Woods: BENROSS QUAD SPEED FAIRWAY 15"
Hybrids:BENROSS 3G 17" BENROSSV5 Escape 20"
Irons: :wilson: DEEP RED Fluid Feel  4-SW
Putter: BENROSS PURE RED
Balls: :wilsonstaff:  Ti DNA

Crazy last round. Start off with 2 pars, then a double, then 2 pars and another double. Switched back to my Callaway and was getting much longer drives - but I also hit out a couple of times. But there was still hope. At times I was making fun saves by using my 7 iron to chip close to the hole several times (it's my go to, save me club). Had the usual miss hits that ruin the round.

Came to the last hole. Needed no more than bogey to shoot 89. Good drive, then hit a really weak hybrid that cleared a pond ... at least I think so -  it did but moved back to the pond!!!!

Was right on the edge. Pulled out the 7 iron determined to get it on the green no matter what. It did, but it went too far and was off the edge of the green. Was going to use putter but was convinced to use my go to club - 7 iron! hehehehe

Put it 2 feet away - still more work. Made the putt.

Got away with one. 89.

Just here to gloat/blow my own trumpet (its been a long time coming mind!) I managed to shoot 87 yesterday (& beat all my buddies for the first time to in our 4 ball, including my bro which is always a sweet one :-P ) for the first time, & gee isn't golf fun when it all goes near enough to plan!

Its not been long since I was struggling to keep my score under 100, I've been playing better then that for a while just things weren't pulling together, Thought I'd mention a few things why I feel I struggled to get to this point & what I've done differently.

- There was ALWAYS a blow up hole, and not just your average blow up, I mean nuclear (one time It took me like 5 shots to get out of a wet wet bunker, there and then my first attempt at sub 90 & 100 went with my head too), now when its going well, I just try to keep going as best I can (I always have that fiery temper inside me, but the less I think about final round score the less the pressure gets to me) if I can keep things to no more then 7s on a few holes that's 'acceptable' damage ( I hit one 7 on the 18th yesterday).

- I was wasteful with my putts, used to rush everything, didn't take enough time to consider the read, line, pace etc...little things like marking your ball to your line I have felt make a difference to your putt, I'm not the greatest at it and 3 putted 3/4 times yesterday, but this would've been more 2 months ago.

- Keeping the ball in play, this is where the majority of my penalties/strokes come from, not that I'm erratic but I might have 2 holes a round where I will be 3 off the tee, yesterday was the first time I've gone round without having a 3 off the tee.

- Know your limits, try and fight your desire to become Phil with the wedge on the tight lie, or Rory with the driver on that tight 370 yard Par 4, leave yourself clubs you feel comfortable with. Typically I will try to hit 9 iron at most 8 onto the green, otherwise I'll consider a lay up. I got caught out yesterday trying to flop with my 64 wedge, Said to my bro if i hit it well it'd land soft and perfect for the par save, instead of playing for the green attempting the 1 putt required & at worst it would've been 5, I ended up skulling it all the way to the back & was lucky to hit a 6.

- Play for your shape, I desired the draw flight so much it affected my swing, in the end I thought screw it just aim a little further left and be more open, play with the fade or whatever it is you seem to be producing that day!

- Have fun, yesterday was probably the most fun we've had playing it absolutely hammered it down with rain for the first 5 holes, then was glorious sunshine (good ol' blighty) and we were able to joke about, laugh at each others mishaps and all walk off with good scores.

Sorry for delay. Catching up. Work interferes with lots.........

The main thing I have done is begin employing a wrist cock, I guess it is called. I've been concerned I am flipping and may encounter negative repercussions long term, but the line between flipping and releasing is a little blurred.

But at this point, by concentrating initially on cocking the wrists, where at the top of my backswing, the club is a little more toward the target, and coming to the ball with a little  more looseness (relaxed), I am getting extra clubhead speed. I have also worked on slowing my backswing and turning rather than sliding hips on the backswing. But I am probably just getting to where most of you already are. I was woefully short before.

On a good swing the wrists can 'break' or 'flip', but only after the clubhead is through impact. The goal is to have a little 'bow' in the wrist at impact (with irons anyway) to de-loft the club. A flip at impact usually means the club is starting to rise from its low point which will tend to give you weaker, thin contact and more loft than you want. You do want to release through impact, but want to move the 'flip' condition away from impact & toward the finish.

Missed my chance to finally break 90 today. Front 9 was 47 but had a good back 9 with 43. Had 2 birdies and some pars but had two holes that ruined everything. One + 4, and one double, both were cause by the 3 bunkers shots. Especially my last hole when I only need a bogey to break 90.

Pulled my driver a little left fairway, hit my 6 iron to the right bunker. Took 3 shots to get out and 1 put for the double.

This is the second times I missed breaking 90 in the last hole. Maybe need to work on my mental more.

My goal is bringing my handicap to under 20 this year. Only 3 months left.

You're close. Have you worked on a 'reliable out' bunker shot?

Also, consider not adding up your score until you are done. You will still remember the round.

Kevin

Like many others on here I am starting to shoot a lot better but still keep making big mistakes. Played off the blue tees tonight and was 3 over going into the last hole and then the grenade went off. Pulled driver left (I rarely miss left) and had to re-tee. Then I had about 210 to the flag and missed right and had to play another ball. Ended up with an 8 on the par 4 for 7 over. Still got the heel prints from kicking myself in the a$$ :doh:

Today shot  90 on a links-like course nearby (70.0  125)  . My previous best was 98.

Big improvement this month has been getting on the green in one shot out to 120 yards.

My index is trending under 18 now.

Today shot  90 on a links-like course nearby (70.0  125)  . My previous best was 98.

Big improvement this month has been getting on the green in one shot out to 120 yards.

My index is trending under 18 now.

nice! thats been a real improvement in my game as well. having those short irons be a lot more accurate is great and will hopefully continue to improve with all of my irons. keep it up!

"Swing with a Purpose" 

What's In The Bag:
Woods: Driver: RBZ stage 2 10* 3 wood: RBZ 15* 5 wood: NIke vapor speed 19*
Irons/ wedges: Rbladez tour 4-PW; Mizuno MP-T4 52*, 56*, CG11 60*
Putter: Odyssey White ice #9

A tale of two nines today. Shot a 50 on the front with two plus 4's and then shot a 43 on the back. What's really strange is that the front nine is by far, the easier side. Those two blow up holes just killed me.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

A tale of two nines today. Shot a 50 on the front with two plus 4's and then shot a 43 on the back. What's really strange is that the front nine is by far, the easier side. Those two blow up holes just killed me.

I hear ya. I am in the same boat trying to eliminate the blow up holes.

I shot a 52-40=92 yesterday with a blow-up 10 on the front nine. Number 7 on my home course has my number, now it's in my head.

The back nine was 5 pars and 4 bogeys and never once was I in trouble. I was an incredibly relaxed and enjoyable back nine.

- Mark

Played in a foursomes competition today. Foursomes is probably my least favourite format but today I surprised myself by just how well I played :) My partner didn't get a chance to putt in the first 6 holes as I either holed out or saved our par with pretty good one putts! Then there was the general iron play, which was probably some of the best ball striking I've ever had! Then there was the ball striking off the tee! I've found that I can leave the driver in the bag for all but 3 holes as my understanding of the game has developed and when I do pull the driver out I'm starting to get some serious distance with it will virtually eliminating my power slice that used to blight my game (the problem now is I can't get the ball to shape left to right when I need to!). As my power has developed over the last 6 months on some holes I'm finding that I've gone from driver to 3w, to hybrid to now teeing off with a 4 iron which means I'm hitting FIR pretty much every time and giving myself the opportunity to hit GIR and par or birdie instead of double bogey or worse! One of the other things I did was to put a stiff shaft in to my hybrid that has pretty much got rid of the slice I used to have with that club. Now I'm getting a gentle baby draw and more importantly I'm in love with my hybrid (and it only cost me £30 for the shaft!). All in all the hcp is heading in the right direction :) Regards Mailman

Mailman

I shot a 59 on the same nine I shot 40 on yesterday. It was frustrating and discouraging. I know it was the heat and fatigue, I was walking in 90 + degree heat for 6 miles with a bag on my back. I was shortening my swing and coming across. Set out thinking I was going to break 90. Shot a 45 on the difficult front nine (52 yesterday). The back nine lends itself to good scoring, so I thought I had sub-90 locked up, it was just a matter of how low in the 80s I could go. Then the wheels came off. I could've get around and get my weight forward. My outside-in swing path returned and it was over. Sigh.

- Mark

Shot my lowest sub 90 today- a 42+44-86. Thats the third this year. 5 pars, just one triple.

Out with my wife-she shot a 92

All in all, a good golf day

Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!