IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Welcome to the forum & thread.   With you own home gold simulator & addiction, you will blow through the bogey golfer stage.   Looking forward to your progress.

Welcome.

Also, if addiction was enough to blow through the bogey golfer stage I would bet many of us wouldn't be here anymore. Unfortunately you can play golf every single day and be stuck in bogey golfer land. You need targeted instruction and practice to break through, simply swinging more often won't get you there. 

- Mark

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

played with 8 clubs yesterday with my longest a 4 wood. left the driver home for the first time this year. the 4 wood kept me on the fairways for most of the round. lost my lucky ball OB on # 9 and  finished with a triple bogey. had a few horrible wedge shots (some spots were sloppy wet and didnt adjust for that. putted decent again. had a bogey par par bogey streak going. ended with a 49.

Edited by Sante TwoGloves
  1. LPGA Square Two Melody driver 
  2. Callaway Steelhead Plus 5 W
  3. Adamsgolf Idea 4i hybrid 
  4. Answer 6 iron 
  5. Answer 8 iron 
  6. LH Golfsmith Tour Model IV PW
  7. AdamsGolf GTxtreme LW
  8. LH Ping Zing Magnesium Bronze

• 2 weeks later...

First tee time at sunrise this morning and shot an 89, 50% GIR, and 43 putts and 3 penalty strokes. I can't believe it myself, I had 9! 3 putts, I just can't seem to get consistent putting.  If I eliminate 3 putts and get better at chipping it close I'll be in the 70s no problem.  So frustrating.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

First tee time at sunrise this morning and shot an 89, 50% GIR, and 43 putts and 3 penalty strokes. I can't believe it myself, I had 9! 3 putts, I just can't seem to get consistent putting.  If I eliminate 3 putts and get better at chipping it close I'll be in the 70s no problem.  So frustrating.

Not so easy, but it sounds like you haven't found a comfortable putting stroke yet.

I also had this issue, putts were just not that comfortable. Once you do, you can probably get rid of 2/3 of your 3 putts, but not all of them until you can hit your approaches closer to the pin. Chipping is not all that accurate either unless you are closer than 15 yards.

70s comes from a lot of skill from far away. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I am stuck in this train of thought too.  But unfortunately on days that I putt like Spieth i am usually saving bogey at best.  On days when I seem to always be on in two, I'll have 11-12 3-putts.  I shot a 91 the other day, with the back nine beng a 41.

Frustrating indeed.

Not so easy, but it sounds like you haven't found a comfortable putting stroke yet.

I also had this issue, putts were just not that comfortable. Once you do, you can probably get rid of 2/3 of your 3 putts, but not all of them until you can hit your approaches closer to the pin. Chipping is not all that accurate either unless you are closer than 15 yards.

70s comes from a lot of skill from far away. . .

I think I'm close, I had two approach shots today at 180 yards and got both on the green, one 5 ft from the pin, and still three putted it.  I don't always putt this bad, but I also don't usually hit my irons this well, so I guess the golf gods are just trying to keep things even.

Driver: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  9.5* S-Flex
3-Wood: TaylorMade Aeroburner;  15* 
S-Flex
Hybrids: Nike Vapor Speed 3-5 Steel Stiff
Irons: Nike Vapor Speed 6-Pw Steel Stiff
Wedges: Cleveland 588 RTX 2.0 Satin Black; 52, 56, 60
Putter: Odyssey Works 2-Ball
Grips: Good Grip Tour Wrap Medium 
Ball: ProV1

I think I'm close, I had two approach shots today at 180 yards and got both on the green, one 5 ft from the pin, and still three putted it.  I don't always putt this bad, but I also don't usually hit my irons this well, so I guess the golf gods are just trying to keep things even.

That's a lot more rare than hitting the green 50 feet away. I make less than half of my 5-6 foot putts and get within 3 feet from 25 feet away half the time. This is primarily because of my more comfortable putting stroke.

It'll help you in the long run, and hopefully those lucky times you get within 5 feet from 180 yards you will make the putt or 2 putt.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Where to find good online instructions for the short game? Its seems most high handicappers don't practice the short enough. The urged to drive the ball and play a round is too tempting.

I am a few exceptional rounds away from breaking below 16 HI.   A couple of rounds in 80s from my home course will do it. 

Took another swing lesson yesterday.  Learned nothing knew.  Instead, I was reminded that my bad habit keeps coming back.  At address, I don't tilt my shoulder enough and get my head behind the ball. I don't take my hands straight back enough on my back swing.   Need to stay focused to get this right in field. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

• Administrator

Where to find good online instructions for the short game? Its seems most high handicappers don't practice the short enough. The urged to drive the ball and play a round is too tempting.

I think most amateurs (of those that practice at all) tend to practice the short game too much.

http://evolvr.com - we do short game instruction there.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think most amateurs (of those that practice at all) tend to practice the short game too much.

http://evolvr.com - we do short game instruction there.

Thanks. Will definitely check it out. I have one very puzzling problem. At address with the driver, no matter how I grip the club, it always return with a closed or shut face. I am not talking about ball flight pattern. I am talking about the club appear with the face pointing to the left. I loosen my left hand grip and rotate the rounded shaft to the right and it appear square but the moment I move the club back and forward without even swinging, the face shut. This don't happen with the irons though. SOS

Edited by craps

I experimented yesterday with the tee it forward concept from LSW. The idea is to get used to scoring lower. I played with an older buddy of mine from the senior tees. It played about 70 yds shorter than usual on most holes. My drives have been averaging 200-220, so this put me in the net 270-290 range. 

This helped me see two things: 

1) What it feels like to shoot in the low 80s. I felt much less tension and pressure from the forward tees. My entire game was relaxed and I approached each hole strategically. I actually enjoyed it much more. 

2) Improving my driving distance will drastically improve my game. I cut 7 strokes from my score by shortening each hole by roughly 70 yds. Now I don't expect to save 7 strokes with an improved drive because longer drives bring more trouble into play, but I can definitely see that several shots can be gained from upping my distance. 

Overall, this was a very positive exercise. I highly recommend this for bogey golfers looking to get a "feel" for lower scoring. 

- Mark

I experimented yesterday with the tee it forward concept from LSW. The idea is to get used to scoring lower. I played with an older buddy of mine from the senior tees. It played about 70 yds shorter than usual on most holes. My drives have been averaging 200-220, so this put me in the net 270-290 range. 

This helped me see two things: 

1) What it feels like to shoot in the low 80s. I felt much less tension and pressure from the forward tees. My entire game was relaxed and I approached each hole strategically. I actually enjoyed it much more. 

2) Improving my driving distance will drastically improve my game. I cut 7 strokes from my score by shortening each hole by roughly 70 yds. Now I don't expect to save 7 strokes with an improved drive because longer drives bring more trouble into play, but I can definitely see that several shots can be gained from upping my distance. 

Overall, this was a very positive exercise. I highly recommend this for bogey golfers looking to get a "feel" for lower scoring. 

Nice feeling, I bet? :beer:

If you're drives are 70 yards longer and straight enough to stay in play, why not save 7 strokes?

It may not be realistic to get that much more distance, so play the tees that are appropriate to your actual driving average (210 yards which works out to 5880 yards with a 28x multiplier by your average driving distance). I would stick with 5880 yard tees or less if it makes sense?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Nice feeling, I bet? :beer:

If you're drives are 70 yards longer and straight enough to stay in play, why not save 7 strokes?

It may not be realistic to get that much more distance, so play the tees that are appropriate to your actual driving average (210 yards which works out to 5880 yards with a 28x multiplier by your average driving distance). I would stick with 5880 yard tees or less if it makes sense?

Yes, really nice feeling. I play in a weekly money game at my club. We play from the Blacks at 6,400 yards. It is punishing for me even though I get 19 strokes. That won't change anytime soon. I will have to keep taking my lumps or get the driver straightened out. 

Driving 270 consistently straight would save me 7 strokes, but even the best drivers are gonna miss sometimes, so I figure 4-5 is realistic. I used to drive 270 pretty regularly, but I am now revamping my swing, so 220 seems to be my max until I get more comfortable. 

My club has a set of tees at 5,791 yds, sounds about perfect for me for now. 

- Mark

• 3 weeks later...

I have been playing golf for 1 year now.  My goal for the 1st year was to get my average score below 100.  I am happy to say I have done that.  Now my goal for this year is to get my scores below 90, so I will be reading and following this thread.

51 minutes ago, rrives said:

I have been playing golf for 1 year now.  My goal for the 1st year was to get my average score below 100.  I am happy to say I have done that.  Now my goal for this year is to get my scores below 90, so I will be reading and following this thread.

Sounds good.   Welcome to the thread.   Anyone can become a bogey golfer with an effort.  

What I am focusing on =  getting the weight shift to be 100% repeatable.  I think this is a key to my getting out of bogey golfer stage. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Well shot my best round this morning.  Hit the ball fairly well still duffed a few shots, and my putting was ok but could be better (missed alot of 10-12' putts by lipping out)   Distance and aim still needs much work but was better.

Here is my GameGolf for anyone interested in checking it out:

http://www.gamegolf.com/player/randyrives/round/657566

@rrives,

Looks like a solid bogey golfer round to me.   I've checked out a few of your Game Golf stats.   You got a lot of room on lengthening your drive.  Once you do that, I am sure your GIR will go up, and improve your HI.  

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1024 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!