IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

For sure, I will go with #2 if the final score would mean something (I am in a tournament, e.g).  Otherwise, if I am feeling good with my ball striking and my bunker play is also "on," I will go with #1.  It's more fun to "go" for it sometimes.

I can tell you one reason why adopting a par strategy is always a good idea to me.. it's to go For gold. iit's the excitement of pulling of a shot that only the good can pull off. if my buddies are paring every hole because they have the confidence and talent to hit a long iron over the lake rather then play they conservative approach then so do I. the worse case scenario is the Nike mojo being water bound and I have to drop a new one. best case scenario is my ball goes right were I want it to and I throw my club in the air and scream for joy asking my friends if they want dad to teach them how to hit like that. my opinion as a 100+ bogey golfer is to not worried about the scorecard cause it's never good. my best games are played when they lie and tell me that we are not keeping score. that's when my game drops to an unbelievable low.... but then they tell me before the back nine and the competitor takes over and I start thinking to much about what needs to be done and not what I want to do.... moral of my story, I'd rather go hit the ball the way I'd like to and not the way I should "others opinions not mine" as to what should be hit. trial and error my friend.

rkim and greenln, I hear you.  That is certainly fun.  I just didn't think that was what we were talking about.  CR was presenting scenarios and how they might be played.  And I automatically assumed the strategies we offered up would have the goal in mind of scoring the best we can on the hole.  If we are talking about the most fun shot to try even if you will score worse - then I'd go for it every time.  But I'm not sure that was the goal.  I've seen other scenarios posted in other threads (some recently by Iacas and others) and I'm convinced they were posted with the goal in mind of how to best score on the hole.  They were backed up with stats and probabilities. And I don't think they were looking for responses based on go for it no matter if it causes you to get an 8 most of the time. If our answers aren't based on scoring the best, I'm not sure why we'd answer.

You write, "Adopting a par strategy is always a good idea to me."  In my opinion, there are many situations in a round of golf where this strategy will cost you strokes.  I never said it would be more fun to lay up than to go for it or that it would make you play more like your buddies.  If you want to go hit a bunch of balls in the water, hit 'em.  If you want to score better, don't.  I was just explaining how I thought you (or I or we as bogey golfers) would score better.  I didn't mean to make the game less fun for you.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Also, from a game management perspective, if you are truly that good at that shot and you have problems with your driver and 3-wood, why use them?  Hitting two 215 yard 4i's with that kind of accuracy will get you on all greens of 430 yards and less.  Which is basically all of them.  If driver gets you into trouble, why not hit 4i?

That brings up a good point. I suppose this is a reasonable band aide while you are working on driver and 3w on the range. I was thinking that hitting 215 with a 4i every time is going to be harder than with a driver or 3w. On the other hand, the direction on an iron is easier to control because it basically faces the direction you are hitting. It seems like the precision you need to hit the longer irons will translate to better woods. It does for me anyway. The 4i idea would not work for me anyway, I would only lay up short of the bunker for the 214 yard hole for a 25 to 45 yard chip/pitch, and my 4i has a possibility of going into the bunker. 4i and 4i for the 430 yard par 4 would also be a no go. Just don't have the distance nor the 96 mph swing speed with my 4i.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

The Bogey Philosopher

As many of you may now have perceived I have what might in our current era be considered a slightly quirky approach to golf.

I golf because I truly enjoy it. A fine walk in the fresh air amongst pleasant surroundings. Fellowship with friends old and new. The opportunity to hone my skills against a well designed course of challenges.

I play 30 year old muscleback blades because they were what I played as a young man, and though I don’t swing them as well as back then, I just like their look and feel. I have a pretty good idea of how far and well I can move the ball with each club. If there is a club I don’t have confidence in it won’t be in the bag. If there is a shot that I am weak at, I will practice it and play it till I either get confident with it or find a way to compensate.

I approach each shot not with fear of what may go wrong, but with the expectation that I can make this shot (even though I utterly blew the one previous). If there is a carry that I know is beyond my ability I will play safe, but if there is fairway between the green and me I will go for GIR. I try to stay in the short grass, but I can and will play for the green from rough, fairway bunkers, and around trees. I practice scrambling, greenside chips pitches and sand shots because that’s often what I need to get on the green. I practice putting because 3 putts stink.

I nearly always walk as I find it good exercise, stress relieving, and it gives me perspective on my next shot. By the time I have reached my ball I typically have the shot planned and the club in my hand. Sometimes I need the rangefinder to confirm, but usually not.

Once on the ball I don’t fret… I picture the desired flight in my mind, maybe take a lazy practice swing, set up and swing. Repeat as needed. I track penalties, fairways, GIR, saves, and putts so that after the round I have an idea of what is working and what needs working on. I realize I have little to no chance of ever becoming a scratch player, but that I can and will improve while having fun at the same time.

My partners and I play Stableford matches. Blowup holes are eliminated because anything over bogey is no points, play it out if you like or pick up. No stress, no slow play on a crowded course. There is usually a lively replay of the good, the bad, and the ugly over a few libations at the 19th where laughter and good natured chiding is often heard, but whining is frowned upon.

I golf because I truly enjoy the game, and the folks who play it. :-)

• Upvote 4

Craig

:wilsonstaff: - FG Tour F5
:wilsonstaff: - Fybrid 3W 15*, FY 19.5*, 4H 24*
:wilsonstaff: - FG 51 Tour Blade 4-9
:wilson: - Harmonized 50, 55, 60
Old Master - TZ Putter

First of all, I have no idea why you or anyone else is a bogey golfer but I pretty well know why I am and it isn't because of my irons.

I am a bogey golfer primarily for two reasons:

1)  I struggle with my driver and  3-wood.

2)  I might well be the worst putter on this website (as an example, I recently shot an 89 with 42 putts).

Don't feel too bad - I'm equally atrocious at putting ... I'm talking really, REALLY bad at putting.   Never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to blow an otherwise good round with lackluster putting.

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

Also, from a game management perspective, if you are truly that good at that shot and you have problems with your driver and 3-wood, why use them?  Hitting two 215 yard 4i's with that kind of accuracy will get you on all greens of 430 yards and less.  Which is basically all of them.  If driver gets you into trouble, why not hit 4i?

Your question is a good one and, if there is something significant on the line (and by significant, I mean money), then I actually use either the 4-iron or a 21* hybrid off the tee.

Here is the deal though....    On the range, I have pretty decent control over my driver & 3 wood but on the range, there is no pressure to make the shot.   No hazards, no pressure to hit it longer, etc....    So I relax, don't worry about it and hit the shot.   This goes back to what I said about my putting practice, it just hasn't transferred to the course yet.   Since I am not content to be a bogey golfer, and I can hit those shots fairly well on the range, I feel I need to work on these shots on the course if I am ever going to bring my "range game" to the course.  So, I continue to play those clubs.   Maybe I am wrong in doing so but that type of strategy has worked for me in other sports in the past, so it is how I have approached golf as well.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

^^  The story of my golf career!!  Just today, I shot a 92 with 39 putts (and that included holing one out from off the green).

If I had a dollar for every time I have lipped out a par (or birdie) putt and ended up three putting the hole, I could probably buy myself several sets of new clubs!!   LOL

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Don't feel too bad - I'm equally atrocious at putting ... I'm talking really, REALLY bad at putting.   Never ceases to amaze me how easy it is to blow an otherwise good round with lackluster putting.

I just blame the green conditions. 52 putts. Barely broke 100.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

rkim and greenln, I hear you.  That is certainly fun.  I just didn't think that was what we were talking about.  CR was presenting scenarios and how they might be played.  And I automatically assumed the strategies we offered up would have the goal in mind of scoring the best we can on the hole.  If we are talking about the most fun shot to try even if you will score worse - then I'd go for it every time.  But I'm not sure that was the goal.  I've seen other scenarios posted in other threads (some recently by Iacas and others) and I'm convinced they were posted with the goal in mind of how to best score on the hole.  They were backed up with stats and probabilities. And I don't think they were looking for responses based on gopprofessionalssionalmatter if it causes you to get an 8 most of the time. If our answers aren't based on scoring the best, I'm not sure why we'd answer. You write, "Adopting a par strategy is always a good idea to me."  In my opinion, there are many situations in a round of golf where this strategy will cost you strokes.  I never said it would be more fun to lay up than to go for it or that it would make you play more like your buddies.  If you want to go hit a bunch of balls in the water, hit 'em.  If you want to score better, don't.  I was just explaining how I thought you (or I or we as bogey golfers) would score better.  I didn't mean to make the game less fun for you.

I may have jumped in to suddenly... it's not the first time. I like to look at the long run, I go for gold always, it's to push myself. . and then I talked to a lady not but two hours ago after 27 holes today two pars and a lot of bogies due to less then an inch away putts. and she asked me a question after I told her about this conversation, the question was this... " would you rather break records because you can hit over a tree or would you rather be like tiger woods who hits the ball in the hole" and that's when it struck me. who cares if you drive the ball 300+ yards or have a perfect wedge or putt from anywhere. if you can't put them together all you are is a record breaker or a one act circus... I know I might have steered off coarse a bit so here's the main point buddy, you were right, she was right, and I was on another planet. I get the feeling that some try so hard to be a profesional golfer in such a short time. even the greats in any sport practice and run drills and not all drills are point based. some is stamina, muscle building, endurance. that's why I said a par or birdie strategy is the way. you"'ll never get a birdie if your too conservative. pars just fall into place (sometimes). as for the stats my apologies I didn't catch that and even if I did it's like trying to read the matrix. I'd rather fight agents then deal with politics. I know you had to read a bunch of my random thoughts to get to the apology at the end sorry for that too. I'll be sure that I know the full story before butting in

Quote:

Originally Posted by inthehole

I just blame the green conditions. 52 putts.

Barely broke 100.

This day must have been a bad day for putting.  Even I putted 37 times today which is 5 over my average.  But sir, you take the top honor today.  Are you sure it's not a typo?   52 putts is unheard of.  That's almost 3 putts per hole.   Was this a new course with very fast, undulating green?

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Played yesterday and made a conscious effort to play smarter and it showed. I didn't have a great day putting but still came away with a 91. I was driving the ball well and I was looking for the least amount of danger on the rest of my shots, mainly meaning the 3W stayed in the bag most of the day. I used it on a short par 4, where I would normally try to crush a driver and I only used it once on the par 5s. It's tough to take out that 5i on the par 5s because everything in my body is screaming 3W! Lol, but it was the smart play and it worked out well.
my get up and go musta got up and went..

This day must have been a bad day for putting.  Even I putted 37 times today which is 5 over my average.  But sir, you take the top honor today.  Are you sure it's not a typo?   52 putts is unheard of.  That's almost 3 putts per hole.   Was this a new course with very fast, undulating green?

52 putts, no typo. There were "divots", wet and dry conditions on the greens, every green had a 30% or more green speed variation even on one green. The main killer was the pock marks, in the form of little 2-5mm deep holes like bad acne. My driving was pretty good, I got pin high on a short par 5 in 2, approach shots were decent. I was looking at birdie putts quite a few times, and 5 putted one. County courses can be pretty bad this time of year. :-(

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Played yesterday and made a conscious effort to play smarter and it showed. I didn't have a great day putting but still came away with a 91. I was driving the ball well and I was looking for the least amount of danger on the rest of my shots, mainly meaning the 3W stayed in the bag most of the day. I used it on a short par 4, where I would normally try to crush a driver and I only used it once on the par 5s. It's tough to take out that 5i on the par 5s because everything in my body is screaming 3W! Lol, but it was the smart play and it worked out well.

Yeah, that's the way to keep the blown up holes out of your score.   For me, my driver didn't work at the beginning and  I switched to 3W for drives.  Only well into back 9, I felt I was warmed up enough to hit driver again.   So, no OBs from tee but I had 3 of them while trying to hit a home run out of rough with iron.   I am thinking about carrying higher lofted hybrid to cut through the rough.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

The Bogey Philosopher As many of you may now have perceived I have what might in our current era be considered a slightly quirky approach to golf. I golf because I truly enjoy it. A fine walk in the fresh air amongst pleasant surroundings. Fellowship with friends old and new. The opportunity to hone my skills against a well designed course of challenges. I play 30 year old muscleback blades because they were what I played as a young man, and though I don’t swing them as well as back then, I just like their look and feel. I have a pretty good idea of how far and well I can move the ball with each club. If there is a club I don’t have confidence in it won’t be in the bag. If there is a shot that I am weak at, I will practice it and play it till I either get confident with it or find a way to compensate. I approach each shot not with fear of what may go wrong, but with the expectation that I can make this shot (even though I utterly blew the one previous). If there is a carry that I know is beyond my ability I will play safe, but if there is fairway between the green and me I will go for GIR. I try to stay in the short grass, but I can and will play for the green from rough, fairway bunkers, and around trees. I practice scrambling, greenside chips pitches and sand shots because that’s often what I need to get on the green. I practice putting because 3 putts stink. I nearly always walk as I find it good exercise, stress relieving, and it gives me perspective on my next shot. By the time I have reached my ball I typically have the shot planned and the club in my hand. Sometimes I need the rangefinder to confirm, but usually not. Once on the ball I don’t fret… I picture the desired flight in my mind, maybe take a lazy practice swing, set up and swing. Repeat as needed. I track penalties, fairways, GIR, saves, and putts so that after the round I have an idea of what is working and what needs working on. I realize I have little to no chance of ever becoming a scratch player, but that I can and will improve while having fun at the same time. My partners and I play Stableford matches. Blowup holes are eliminated because anything over bogey is no points, play it out if you like or pick up. No stress, no slow play on a crowded course. There is usually a lively replay of the good, the bad, and the ugly over a few libations at the 19th where laughter and good natured chiding is often heard, but whining is frowned upon. I golf because I truly enjoy the game, and the folks who play it. :-)

(applauding) professional scratch player I can't say. writing a beautiful poem about the greatest game ever invented, I'd say you nailed it bud

Here is the deal though....    On the range, I have pretty decent control over my driver & 3 wood but on the range, there is no pressure to make the shot.   No hazards, no pressure to hit it longer, etc....    So I relax, don't worry about it and hit the shot.   This goes back to what I said about my putting practice, it just hasn't transferred to the course yet.   Since I am not content to be a bogey golfer, and I can hit those shots fairly well on the range, I feel I need to work on these shots on the course if I am ever going to bring my "range game" to the course.  So, I continue to play those clubs.   Maybe I am wrong in doing so but that type of strategy has worked for me in other sports in the past, so it is how I have approached golf as well.

I might be in the minority, but I'm the exact opposite - I hit much better shots off the tee on the course than the range. When I'm at the range, I look at the yardage markers and flags, visualize how I want the ball to go, etc. but I still end up hitting slices, big fades, etc. When I'm on the course, however, I just seem to be able to picture the shots better and get my swing to match up, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't say the majority of shots are GOOD by any means :-D But the few times I've been able to hit a nice draw with my driver were all on the course when they were nearly a requirement on that hole, not at the range.

Russ B.

I might be in the minority, but I'm the exact opposite - I hit much better shots off the tee on the course than the range. When I'm at the range, I look at the yardage markers and flags, visualize how I want the ball to go, etc. but I still end up hitting slices, big fades, etc. When I'm on the course, however, I just seem to be able to picture the shots better and get my swing to match up, if that makes any sense. I wouldn't say the majority of shots are GOOD by any means :-D But the few times I've been able to hit a nice draw with my driver were all on the course when they were nearly a requirement on that hole, not at the range.

I'm with you - seem to do better on the course ... maybe it's because my concentration is at max level ??   I've regularly hit some of my best shots of given rounds off the first tee when I'm stone cold ...

John

Fav LT Quote ... "you can talk to a fade, but a hook won't listen"

How many of you guys are taking lessons?

Regular, plus emergency ones from Mike (MVMAC).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Evening guys,

Been playing around 3 months and struggling to get under 100 .. Sometimes my drive is superb other times i just go 100 yards due to bad contact - Main problem has to be my consistency and the  inconsistency in my swing.

Putting has improved dramatically after i went out with my girlfriends old man he gave me some tips not holding the club to close to my body and widening my legs etc,

from a 9 to PW is where my best shots come from it seems as soon as i go below 8 i start to hit the ground etc...

Thats where im at

Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!