IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 1/28/2016 at 5:22 PM, dkolo said:

I haven't hit a single shot well in over a month. The changes I've been making to my swing paid off spectacularly for a week or so, culminating in one great round but I've been chasing that feeling since then.

Some swing changes will take months of drills/practice before it takes hold.   I am finding it out the hard way. 

Finally, I broke out of my normal scoring range in a good way, shooting an 81 from a shorter tee.   I shot 37 (1 over par) on front 9 and was convinced of breaking 80.   Well, I couldn't break 80 but was definitely a notch better than being a bogey golfer for today.   A few more rounds like this and  I will escape from bogey land.  My HI is trending to 16.9.

What worked today:

• No OBs/Lost balls & 8 GIRs.   My ball striking was accurate. 
  • Putting - made most putts < 8 feet range, lagged long putts within tap in range.

What killed my chance of breaking 80:

• Pitching from 60 - 80 yard range.  Gotta work on this more.
  • Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

7 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

Some swing changes will take months of drills/practice before it takes hold.   I am finding it out the hard way. 

Finally, I broke out of my normal scoring range in a good way, shooting an 81 from a shorter tee.   I shot 37 (1 over par) on front 9 and was convinced of breaking 80.   Well, I couldn't break 80 but was definitely a notch better than being a bogey golfer for today.   A few more rounds like this and  I will escape from bogey land.  My HI is trending to 16.9.

What worked today:

• Putting - made most putts < 8 feet range, lagged long putts within tap in range.

Nice job on the 81. Keep that up and you will be out of your thread!

Swing changes take a long time to make. Takes persistence and good practice. I'm also struggling to make them as well. . .

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

7 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

What worked today:

Congratulations on a decent round. Your on your way out of bogeyland

Definitely congrats on your good round. Keep it up.

Julia

:callaway:  :cobra:    :seemore:  :bushnell:  :clicgear:  :adidas:  :footjoy:

Spoiler

Driver: Callaway Big Bertha w/ Fubuki Z50 R 44.5"
FW: Cobra BiO CELL 14.5 degree; 
Hybrids: Cobra BiO CELL 22.5 degree Project X R-flex
Irons: Cobra BiO CELL 5 - GW Project X R-Flex
Wedges: Cobra BiO CELL SW, Fly-Z LW, 64* Callaway PM Grind.
Putter: 48" Odyssey Dart

Bought a new driver as Ive been playing hybrids and irons only for the last two years. Figured the extra distance would help. Learned how to hit it and seeing decent results. But and this is a BIG but, as usual when I play with woods my iron game gets significantly worse and i wind up shooting higher scores than hybrids and irons only. Go fig!!! This game is starting to just kill me! ??

• 2 weeks later...

I played a lot of golf as a teenager and had the benefit of some good non-pro instructors. Breaking 90 was not that had hard on muni courses in those days. My career peaked in high school when we got to play tournaments at Congressional, Army-Navy and Burning Tree around the DC area.

Later in life playing was much less frequent. I couldn't afford good equipment or green fees. Now I am retired and break 90 once in awhile. I have a renewed interest in the game that I have been playing for over 55 years. I can still hit the crap out of the ball, but need to work on the short game to score better.

On 2/11/2016 at 2:59 PM, ppine said:

I played a lot of golf as a teenager and had the benefit of some good non-pro instructors. Breaking 90 was not that had hard on muni courses in those days. My career peaked in high school when we got to play tournaments at Congressional, Army-Navy and Burning Tree around the DC area.

Later in life playing was much less frequent. I couldn't afford good equipment or green fees. Now I am retired and break 90 once in awhile. I have a renewed interest in the game that I have been playing for over 55 years. I can still hit the crap out of the ball, but need to work on the short game to score better.

An old gentleman I played once in Reno/NV told me that he hits longer than when he was much younger b/c of improved equipment (club, ball).   

I've been retired for 2 months now and doubled my golf playing/practice time since then.   Golf has improved a little but getting out of playing bogey golf has been elusive.   

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

16 hours ago, rkim291968 said:

An old gentleman I played once in Reno/NV told me that he hits longer than when he was much younger b/c of improved equipment (club, ball).   

I've been retired for 2 months now and doubled my golf playing/practice time since then.   Golf has improved a little but getting out of playing bogey golf has been elusive.   

Looking forward to hearing about your progress as you have more time to practice. Are you doing focused routines?

- Mark

6 minutes ago, Braivo said:

Looking forward to hearing about your progress as you have more time to practice. Are you doing focused routines?

I have been all over the map, working on short game, proper hip turn, bunker, playing more, etc..   I am thinking to put in some structure, and a specific goal (vs vague wish to get my HI down to certain point).   But that seems like a work and not fun.  :-(

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Just now, rkim291968 said:

But that seems like a work and not fun.  :-(

Such is the path to improvement. It becomes fun once you see results. 

- Mark

I played a round recently with a couple of strangers. I was amazed at how many out of bounds were because of poor alignment. One of the guys hit a fade and was aiming right so many times. The other guy hit into the same tree twice because of bad alignment.

Oh, here's something to make you guys feel a little better. There's a course here where I always have a problem on the 4th hole. I mean, you name it... it happened.

OOB right slicing for years. Then I would try driver, wood, hybrid, iron off the tee - desperate to get anything going on this hole. Finally when I got a good draw going, I would hook it OOB. If I got a good drive going, I would miss my second shot. If I hit that good, I would go into a bunker or too far and 3 putt etc...

I typically score anything from 6 to ???? on this par 4 hole. I would be very happy with bogey.

This went on for 9 years!!!!!!!!!!

It happened last week. I lined up, relaxed, hit my driver and hooked it OOB!!!!! AGAIN! Double bogey again.

Well I couldn't take it. I went back yesterday, hit my driver straight down the middle. I immediately grabbed my 3 wood and my son said "since you are trying to make a bogey, why don't you hit your hybrid, pitch on and 2 putt for bogey". After a bit of thinking, I agreed. I hit my hybrid perfectly. Pitched on the green and then my son said "you could make that putt". I told myself that my putting was getting a heck of lot better and I only "thought of good things".  

Well I hit the putt and it went in. Finally got a par on this hole.

So.... you can do it. Even if it takes 9 years!!!! hahahahaha

7 hours ago, 808hacker said:

Oh, here's something to make you guys feel a little better. There's a course here where I always have a problem on the 4th hole. I mean, you name it... it happened.

OOB right slicing for years. Then I would try driver, wood, hybrid, iron off the tee - desperate to get anything going on this hole. Finally when I got a good draw going, I would hook it OOB. If I got a good drive going, I would miss my second shot. If I hit that good, I would go into a bunker or too far and 3 putt etc...

I typically score anything from 6 to ???? on this par 4 hole. I would be very happy with bogey.

This went on for 9 years!!!!!!!!!!

It happened last week. I lined up, relaxed, hit my driver and hooked it OOB!!!!! AGAIN! Double bogey again.

Well I couldn't take it. I went back yesterday, hit my driver straight down the middle. I immediately grabbed my 3 wood and my son said "since you are trying to make a bogey, why don't you hit your hybrid, pitch on and 2 putt for bogey". After a bit of thinking, I agreed. I hit my hybrid perfectly. Pitched on the green and then my son said "you could make that putt". I told myself that my putting was getting a heck of lot better and I only "thought of good things".  

Well I hit the putt and it went in. Finally got a par on this hole.

So.... you can do it. Even if it takes 9 years!!!! hahahahaha

As I was reading, I was thinking to myself why he doesn't just hit a nice and easy hybrid? Then I got to your son telling you part, totally agree.

We have a couple holes, one is a 429 yard par 4, where it's really wise to hit hybrid or 3W off the tee. If you have 200 yards to the green consider yourself lucky because if you hit a little right you would be in water. Anywhere along the left you end up OB. At 230 yards the fairway narrows to like 30 yards.

• Upvote 1

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Thanks Lihu! My son is a .2 handicap and I guess I needed to hear it even though I am telling him how to do things all the time. At least the curse is off for one week.

19 minutes ago, 808hacker said:

Thanks Lihu! My son is a .2 handicap and I guess I needed to hear it even though I am telling him how to do things all the time. At least the curse is off for one week.

I know all about sons who are golf smarter (or just smarter in general) and better than their dads :-D

Even if you have more distance left after the tee shot it's better to plan for a bogey on a hole like that. Those are just the bogey holes for us higher handicaps. I never try to reach those in regulation unless I can reliably fly the trouble.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

After 3 rounds in high 90s, I went back to work on mid-iron/hybrid shot which caused number of OB/Ball-in-H/Ball not found.  I was coming over the top again.   That did the trick and I carded an 89 in the latest round.  Short game gave me fits though as I had too many 3 putts, and screwed up a number of chip & bunker shots. 

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

I had a great lesson last Friday with a follow up today.  Turns out I was casting the club at times which was taking my slight draw and turning it into a hook.  Of course it would show up at the worst times, ruining many rounds for me last season. 

I spent the weekend doing mirror work and taking practice swings to get the feel of not casting the club before impact and getting full arm extension and roll over after impact.  The hard work seems to be paying off as I was hitting the ball much better with a consistent slight draw of about 7-8 yards on 160 yards carry distance using a 6i on the simulator.  

Joe Paradiso

Note: This thread is 1025 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!