IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Quote:

Originally Posted by MissouriHack

Heres what the Upro looks like. Just found out that they are closing the website at the end of the year. It sucks.

I have the Upro mx+ and got the same info about it..   I agree it sucks but the good news is, you will still be able to use it, you just won't be able to track stats or add new courses to it.    I can live with that since I don't track stats with mine anyway.   I just need to guesstimate what other courses I might want to add to mine and do it this year..

I personally like the YOUR GOLF app for keeping track of stats.   It gives me FIR, GIR, GIR+1, putts, score analysis, stroke analysis, driving accuracy (including the percentage of fairways hit, and percentages of misses, both left and right), plus it has a scorecard feature which I like.

They will shot their website down at the end of next year, 2015 (not this year).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

They will shot their website down at the end of next year, 2015 (not this year).

This is the text of the email I received:

"As part of our ongoing initiatives, Callaway Golf is fully committed to our core business of clubs and balls. With this refocused position in mind, we want to let you know that the www.callawayuxplore.com website will be shut down after 12/31/2014 .

Online synching for course downloads, updates, and course search will no longer be available after this date. We recommend downloading your 50 ProMode courses to your upro, upro mx or upro mx+ device before the 12/31/2014 deadline. The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ will still work after 12/31/2014 for Basic Mode, GoMode and ProMode, but they won't be able to download new courses or course updates.

Callaway Golf will continue to honor the limited warranties for all upro devices.

More FAQ for your device:

• Shot Tracking is permanently inoperable.
• No new course updates will be processed.
• The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ are not compatible with Windows 8.

For questions and more information on these updates, contact our support center at: www.callawayuxplore.com/support .

Thank you for using upro and supporting Callaway Golf!"

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

Quote:

Originally Posted by rkim291968

This is the text of the email I received:

"As part of our ongoing initiatives, Callaway Golf is fully committed to our core business of clubs and balls. With this refocused position in mind, we want to let you know that the www.callawayuxplore.com website will be shut down after 12/31/2014.

Online synching for course downloads, updates, and course search will no longer be available after this date. We recommend downloading your 50 ProMode courses to your upro, upro mx or upro mx+ device before the 12/31/2014 deadline. The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ will still work after 12/31/2014 for Basic Mode, GoMode and ProMode, but they won't be able to download new courses or course updates.

Callaway Golf will continue to honor the limited warranties for all upro devices.

More FAQ for your device:

• Shot Tracking is permanently inoperable.

• No new course updates will be processed.

• The upro, upro go, upro mx and upro mx+ are not compatible with Windows 8.

For questions and more information on these updates, contact our support center at: www.callawayuxplore.com/support.

Thank you for using upro and supporting Callaway Golf!"

They must have realized a typo (2014 instead of 2015) and changed it on subsequent announcements.    Initial communication to me had it as 2015.

Back to OP (SOB story variety), yesterday, I had my worst round ever (and by far) at my home course - a whopping 109.   It was OB & lost ball galore.  Deep grass after winter rain covered up a lot of my errant shots.  Simply, I couldn't find those dang balls and had to go with provisions.   I need to be more accurate than ever, or be smart about shots - neither of which I am confident of. :8):surrender::~(

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Back to OP (SOB story variety), yesterday, I had my worst round ever (and by far) at my home course - a whopping 109.   It was OB & lost ball galore.  Deep grass after winter rain covered up a lot of my errant shots.  Simply, I couldn't find those dang balls and had to go with provisions.   I need to be more accurate than ever, or be smart about shots - neither of which I am confident of.

There is nothing I hate worse than losing a ball in deep grass.   You know it is right there somewhere and yet you can't find it....

Must've been "something in the air" over the past few days...    Saturday, I only hit 4 fairways with the driver (all on the front 9).   The rest ended up in slice city.   Ultimately shot a 99.  Been too cold and windy to play since then..........     Looks like at least Wednesday before I get out again.

Razr Fit Xtreme 9.5* Matrix Black Tie shaft, Diablo Octane 3 wood 15*, Razr X Hybrid 21*, Razr X 4-SW, Forged Dark Chrome 60* lob wedge, Hex Chrome & Hex Black ball

I didn't shoot terribly well today, that stupid push-hook kept coming back to haunt me. I only got 50% of my drives to go my way. That's the last time I try to experiment with crazy stuff. Grrrrgg. Need more range time to get rid of it.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Crazy stuff? What was that?

Trying to prove the existence of something that doesn't exist. If you are somehow interested, look for the thread: "Confessions of a push hooker" or "Confessions of a pull hooker". The name keeps changing. :tumble:

Back on topic of Bogey golf:

I got my swing back and my drives back with my range session yesterday. I also started using a set of MP-52 to see if it's more forgiving than my MP-32. I did notice that the setup and length of these clubs give me slightly shorter distances and lower flights. The clubs are shorter by a half inch. They do go really straight and consistent. I have not been able to create a draw, yet.

I'm starting to look at the "Shaping ball" threads here to learn something about the purposely curving the ball. I have an uneasy feeling this is going to be a really difficult thing to learn without solidifying my "baby-push-draw" swing.

There are many times I am within 80 to 100 yards of the pin but behind a tree. It would be really nice to be able to shape the ball into position instead of needing another stroke to get on the green.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Draw is a nice shot to have.  When I was a better golfer a year ago, I used it to bend my ball around trouble.   It wasn't accurate but I was able to advance the ball farther than going over, laying up, etc..  Since then, my golf skills have degraded and I stopped shot shaping practice to focus more on bunker play, and distance ball striking (160+ yards).   Fade is somehow harder for me to master so I never used it in field.   The only exceptions were drives.   I can hit intentional fade/slice with driver by just trying to hit it out of the park :-D (go figure).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Good luck. Let us know how it goes. Perhaps your experience can tell the rest of us if its worth the investment of time at this skill level.

I tried over a dozen times to shape the ball from behind a tree, and kind of managed to do it 3 times. They were all lucky full draws. I got a little angry that I couldn't get my choked up 7 iron to do it out of 4" rough. It only took a second or so to realize that I just don't have the skill yet to pull it off, why get angry?

Statistically speaking, I think it's worth looking into at our skill level, because it should save strokes more readily than depending upon up and downs all the time. Just don't get angry when you miss it and it goes straight or something like that.

Draw is a nice shot to have.  When I was a better golfer a year ago, I used it to bend my ball around trouble.   It wasn't accurate but I was able to advance the ball farther than going over, laying up, etc..  Since then, my golf skills have degraded and I stopped shot shaping practice to focus more on bunker play, and distance ball striking (160+ yards).   Fade is somehow harder for me to master so I never used it in field.   The only exceptions were the drivers.   I can hit intentional fade/slice with driver by just trying to hit it out of the park  (go figure).

Yup.

Seriously, the draw is pretty powerful. Even my son is starting to understand why it's so good. You get a sense of control when you hit a light draw. Fade just feels like a power leak.

Good players can do something called a "power fade". Not really sure what it is, but I am trying to learn.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I am working on consistency with my irons.  I have dropped the woods and driver from the bag because they don't fit me, I am terrible with them and I sacrifice strokes with them.  I decided I should work on what I am pretty good at (ball striking) and develop my swing through iron play.  I upgraded my iron equipment to a set of Mizuno's and got appropriately fit to them (dropped strokes off my game immediately).  I am 6 foot 7 inches tall so fitting was a must.

When I am confident with my irons and have more money, ill get fit for a long 2hybrid and driver of which I will add to the bag.  Until then ill be laying it up and focusing on:

Specifics

-figure out my yardage gaps and be able to select the appropriate club for the job

-get my normal swing dialed in so I can repeat swing after swing to hit my gaps consistently.

-develop an easy swing and a harder swing so I can vary from my normal yardage gaps slightly if need be (only after I master my normal gaps).

-decrease dispersion

-get better at fades and more specifically draws

-relax at address and swing through the ball and stop trying to hit the ball

-stop coming over the top on my downswing

-take divots more consistently

I feel that I should be able to achieve these goals by the end of this season.  Then this winter ill add my longer clubs and work on them over winter.  I think by next season I should be able to have my handicap dropped by a good amount!

I am working on consistency with my irons.  I have dropped the woods and driver from the bag because they don't fit me, I am terrible with them and I sacrifice strokes with them.  I decided I should work on what I am pretty good at (ball striking) and develop my swing through iron play.  I upgraded my iron equipment to a set of Mizuno's and got appropriately fit to them (dropped strokes off my game immediately).  I am 6 foot 7 inches tall so fitting was a must.

When I am confident with my irons and have more money, ill get fit for a long 2hybrid and driver of which I will add to the bag.  Until then ill be laying it up and focusing on:

Specifics

-figure out my yardage gaps and be able to select the appropriate club for the job

-get my normal swing dialed in so I can repeat swing after swing to hit my gaps consistently.

-develop an easy swing and a harder swing so I can vary from my normal yardage gaps slightly if need be (only after I master my normal gaps).

-decrease dispersion

-get better at fades and more specifically draws

-relax at address and swing through the ball and stop trying to hit the ball

-stop coming over the top on my downswing

-take divots more consistently

I feel that I should be able to achieve these goals by the end of this season.  Then this winter ill add my longer clubs and work on them over winter.  I think by next season I should be able to have my handicap dropped by a good amount!

If you hit like any of the other 6'7"+ golfers I have been partnered with, maybe you never need to use a wood or hybrid. One golfer of this stature hit his 9i to the 157 marker with regularity at the range last Sunday. I think he could walk onto any standard course with a bag containing nothing longer than a 7i.

BTW, are there longer clubs available for people your height? It seems like people of your height and taller need to bend much more than the rest of us. It doesn't look comfortable.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

If you hit like any of the other 6'7"+ golfers I have been partnered with, maybe you never need to use a wood or hybrid. One golfer of this stature hit his 9i to the 157 marker with regularity at the range last Sunday. I think he could walk onto any standard course with a bag containing nothing longer than a 7i.

BTW, are there longer clubs available for people your height? It seems like people of your height and taller need to bend much more than the rest of us. It doesn't look comfortable.

I certainly can hit the ball pretty far, but my dispersion drops fast when I am really going for it.  I usually hit with a nice mellow controlled swing at pretty average distance or perhaps even on the lower end, my 7iron usually goes 140-150 carry + role.  3 iron usually about 200-210 with nice solid strike.  Longer irons are available for tall golfers, I was fit at about 1.5" over standard length clubs (effectively makes the shaft play softer).  I prefer +1.25 with stiff steel shafts, and play DG300's.  The longer shaft also effectively makes the lie more upright by about 2degrees, but I need an even more upright lie so I have my irons bent an additional 2 up.  This gives me a nice solid contact with the ground.  Oh ya and I have to use jumbo sized grips or I end up hurting my hands/wrists haha.

Being tall definitely can make it tough to get set up with the correct equipment as well as expensive.  But I love the game and actually kind of enjoy the fitting process, it gives me more confidence!

Nice to meet you by the way!

I certainly can hit the ball pretty far, but my dispersion drops fast when I am really going for it.  I usually hit with a nice mellow controlled swing at pretty average distance or perhaps even on the lower end, my 7iron usually goes 140-150 carry + role.  3 iron usually about 200-210 with nice solid strike.  Longer irons are available for tall golfers, I was fit at about 1.5" over standard length clubs (effectively makes the shaft play softer).  I prefer +1.25 with stiff steel shafts, and play DG300's.  The longer shaft also effectively makes the lie more upright by about 2degrees, but I need an even more upright lie so I have my irons bent an additional 2 up.  This gives me a nice solid contact with the ground.  Oh ya and I have to use jumbo sized grips or I end up hurting my hands/wrists haha.

Being tall definitely can make it tough to get set up with the correct equipment as well as expensive.  But I love the game and actually kind of enjoy the fitting process, it gives me more confidence!

Nice to meet you by the way!

Yes, Welcome to TST. :-)

This is a great site for learning everything you wanted to know about golf (and maybe even more than you wanted, sometimes).

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

O man, it wall went sideways at the range last night. The worst range session in years. I couldn't get anything going.

I think I heard that the "Worst day of golf is better than the best day at . . ."

As I was flying over the mid west from Boston on Monday morning, I saw lots of white stuff on the ground. It looked very deep, and if on the side of a mountain, would have made me very envious.

We should feel good just being out there and hitting balls.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

So, I played at a new course for me yesterday, La Torretta Resort in Montgomery, TX. It was in phenomenal shape considering the winter we had and compared to some of the more "upscale" courses in the area. Anyway, I am still struggling with confidence off the tee. I hit only 3 fairways the whole round, and this is a tough course to play from off the fairway. I had to punch out about 6 times, it was brutal.

My takeaway from yesterday: Shot an 89 (pretty good for my recent play), NEED to work on tee shots, hybrid and long irons are my bread and butter, having a hard time controlling accuracy for my 8,9,PW and GW, short game is pretty good, putting is almost perfect (31 putts with one 3 putt from a terrible read). I am going to work on doing whatever it takes to hit the fairway off the tee even if I have to hit a 3i every damn time.

Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!