IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Driving improved, short game improving, scores not coming down as fast as I would like because I'm still hitting too few GIR. Ergo, it is my iron play that is the priority. I'm coming to the conclusion that some of it is down to lack of concentration. I'm not sufficiently meticulous in making sure I go through the same routine and set up correctly every single time, and as a result I am sometimes not properly aligned to the target. Yesterday I took my time and paid special attention to this, and shot 84, one of my better rounds this year. Doh.

The more I practise, the luckier I hope to get.

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I'm coming to the conclusion that some of it is down to lack of concentration. I'm not sufficiently meticulous in making sure I go through the same routine and set up correctly every single time, and as a result I am sometimes not properly aligned to the target. Yesterday I took my time and paid special attention to this, and shot 84, one of my better rounds this year. Doh.

I know what you mean.   If I do two things as my pre-shot routine, I can score 2 - 4 strokes better per round.  One is to take 2 practice swings and adjust it for the final shot, and the other is to align myself correctly.    But both routines slow down the play and I tend to skip them more often than not.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I know what you mean.   If I do two things as my pre-shot routine, I can score 2 - 4 strokes better per round.  One is to take 2 practice swings and adjust it for the final shot, and the other is to align myself correctly.    But both routines slow down the play and I tend to skip them more often than not.

Don't skip those pre-shot routines! You really need the time for the shot. Just walk a little bit faster to your next shot.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

I'm coming to the conclusion that some of it is down to lack of concentration. I'm not sufficiently meticulous in making sure I go through the same routine and set up correctly every single time, and as a result I am sometimes not properly aligned to the target. Yesterday I took my time and paid special attention to this, and shot 84, one of my better rounds this year. Doh.

This, again. Played again today, concentrated on my set-up with particular reference to proper alignment. Result, 44% GIR and a gross 81 on a par 70 course. Scores are, finally, starting to reflect how well I think I'm hitting the ball. Must have something to do with pointing the club at where I want the ball to go...

Hi everyone

I recently joined TST. I think I am a bogey golfer as I typically score between 100-105?

I'm currently working on a few stuff. I go to the range early morning where I start off with a 15 minute putting session. After that I would typically practice chipping bellow 50m for about 20 minutes. And after that I practice full shots for 60-65 minutes. I use the advice iacas (I think that's his username) gave in a thread.

Afternoon I also try to put in another hour session at our school's fields to practice 6-PW shots.

I currently don't have a fade or a draw (If I am relaxed and don't try to whack it). The problem I have is the ball goes a bit right directly from the club face from where I aim. Probably have to aim left then right? ;-)

Well that's all for now!

Cheers

Erwin

That's way better than me. I think I get 4 more than you based on our GIRs. Going to need to work on my distance control with all different slopes and speeds.

The main thing that could help me is a line drive putt from 5' in. One that can be at all different angles, and I can bang it into the back of the cup at least 80% of the time.

Didn't work. I spent about an hour working on this, and you need to be even more accurate with the putts. I also spent some time trying to practice putting backspin on the ball, but that was a complete waste of time.

The best thing is to learn to really putt well. I'm going to spend at least 35% of my practice time on the short game.

Does anyone know a good proportion to spend on practice versus actual play time?

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

Hi everyone

I recently joined TST. I think I am a bogey golfer as I typically score between 100-105?

I'm currently working on a few stuff. I go to the range early morning where I start off with a 15 minute putting session. After that I would typically practice chipping bellow 50m for about 20 minutes. And after that I practice full shots for 60-65 minutes. I use the advice iacas (I think that's his username) gave in a thread.

Afternoon I also try to put in another hour session at our school's fields to practice 6-PW shots.

Wow, with that much practice in, your score will come down quickly.

You can think about fade or draw when you consistently break 90.  For now, hitting straight is probably the highest priority.  ;-)

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Does anyone know a good proportion to spend on practice versus actual play time?

As for me, I prefer to mix practice & play in alternate fashion.   That way, while my memory is still fresh, I can practice on what didn't work in the field the day before.   But having full time job prevents me from doing that.  Instead, I practice 5 straight days, and play 2 on weekend.   Once in a while, I will ditch work and play during a week day.

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Full shots. Are they considered the whole swing or how hard you try to hit it? If I hit a full swing, but let's say with a 60% force, does that count as full swing practice?

Yes I hope to get my score down. At least try to break 100 consistantly. That is my next goal! :-D

Cheers

Erwin

Full shots. Are they considered the whole swing or how hard you try to hit it? If I hit a full swing, but let's say with a 60% force, does that count as full swing practice?

Yes I hope to get my score down. At least try to break 100 consistantly. That is my next goal!

A true 60% swing would be considered "full swing practice" as long as it requires full swing mechanics.

However, until you have been playing for a while, it is doubtful that you have a "60% swing". A "true 60% swing", does not mean 60% as fast as you can swing a club, but 60% of your controlled swing where you can hit the same spot pretty much every time on a club (<+/-1/4"). This takes some time to practice and improving your keys (5SK) for more precise swings.

That being said, improving full swing mechanics will lower your scores from where you are now even if you are not striking within +/-1/4".

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

That being said, improving full swing mechanics will lower your scores from where you are now even if you are not striking within +/-1/4".

Would you rather advise to practice hitting harder than "60%"? I know you said it would help hitting the ball at 60% even though I cant hit the ball precise, but what would your advice be for a rather new player? Full swing 100% or full swing 60%?

Cheers

Erwin

Would you rather advise to practice hitting harder than "60%"? I know you said it would help hitting the ball at 60% even though I cant hit the ball precise, but what would your advice be for a rather new player? Full swing 100% or full swing 60%?

I would advise practicing only as fast as you can and still maintain your best form. This might only feel like 25% or less as fast as you can swing a club, but will develop more control.

It could even be painfully slow, as you get better you will naturally start swinging faster. I'm actually still working on this. Takes a lot of concerted practice.

Look up 5SK on this site as well. There will be many drills you can follow to improve your swing.

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

I've been going out to the range quite often the past week. Kept to my schedule in earlier posts and in the afternoons I've only missed two sessions this week. I've improved my full shots extremely well. Yesterday afternoon I went and hit about 40 balls and only sliced one and drew two. Further it went straight. Really straight.

I don't know if my practicing in the mornings could have such a big effect in only a week? Or was It just a lucky day? (In the mornings it doesn't go as well as yesterday afternoon).

I also went to play 9 holes on Thursday afternoon. I played 50. My fairways hit was about 50% and I could feel the putting practice as my feel on how hard to put helped a lot!

On my way to breaking 100! :-D

Cheers

Erwin

I've been going out to the range quite often the past week. Kept to my schedule in earlier posts and in the afternoons I've only missed two sessions this week. I've improved my full shots extremely well. Yesterday afternoon I went and hit about 40 balls and only sliced one and drew two. Further it went straight. Really straight.

I don't know if my practicing in the mornings could have such a big effect in only a week? Or was It just a lucky day? (In the mornings it doesn't go as well as yesterday afternoon).

I also went to play 9 holes on Thursday afternoon. I played 50. My fairways hit was about 50% and I could feel the putting practice as my feel on how hard to put helped a lot!

On my way to breaking 100!

Nice work. Keep at it!

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

Looks like it might be time for me to vacate this thread. Down to 14.7, which doesn't meet the criteria. A breakdown of my scores since the spring might be interesting. Average of all rounds, 20.3 strokes over par. Average of the last 20 rounds, 18.6 over par. Last 10 rounds, 16.8 over par. Last five rounds, 15 over par. Pretty steady progress, which I hope to continue. More detailed analysis shows that my driving has improved very little in that time - I've been hitting the ball reasonably well off the tee for months. But GIR, scrambling, sand saves and number of putts per round have all improved a little. Easily the most important change has been in how I practice - going through a consistent routine, hitting fewer balls, working on specifics rather than just hitting balls. Important not to fall victim to hubris, I'm well aware that I could regress and find myself back here. But so far, so good.

Looks like it might be time for me to vacate this thread. Down to 14.7, which doesn't meet the criteria. A breakdown of my scores since the spring might be interesting. Average of all rounds, 20.3 strokes over par. Average of the last 20 rounds, 18.6 over par. Last 10 rounds, 16.8 over par. Last five rounds, 15 over par. Pretty steady progress, which I hope to continue. More detailed analysis shows that my driving has improved very little in that time - I've been hitting the ball reasonably well off the tee for months. But GIR, scrambling, sand saves and number of putts per round have all improved a little. Easily the most important change has been in how I practice - going through a consistent routine, hitting fewer balls, working on specifics rather than just hitting balls. Important not to fall victim to hubris, I'm well aware that I could regress and find myself back here. But so far, so good.

You're still welcome to post here. At least, I do. :-)

TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56

A breakdown of my scores since the spring might be interesting. Average of all rounds, 20.3 strokes over par. Average of the last 20 rounds, 18.6 over par. Last 10 rounds, 16.8 over par. Last five rounds, 15 over par.

Pretty steady progress, which I hope to continue. More detailed analysis shows that my driving has improved very little in that time - I've been hitting the ball reasonably well off the tee for months. But GIR, scrambling, sand saves and number of putts per round have all improved a little. Easily the most important change has been in how I practice - going through a consistent routine, hitting fewer balls, working on specifics rather than just hitting balls.

That's great!  Congrats.

I remember my descent to 12 HI.  It I've got down to 16 steadily like you and stayed there for a while.  Then, boom!  In very short time (2 months), I've got it down to 12.  Now it's back to 19.  I hope you have your own "boom" moment and stay there (and down even further).

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Note: This thread is 1180 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!