IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

On 12/26/2016 at 0:34 PM, Strat-Pack Rick said:

Had the second best round of my life today !! No lucky bounces, no hole outs, no crazy smoke and mirror scores at all. Just a solid 84 with 34 putts. Only had one 3-putt today. I changed my driver from 11.5 to 9.5 and I have never driven the ball so well. I gained 20 yds easy and the roll out is just awesome. Ive been struggling with the driver just going high and dropping like a rock. That adjustment has just changed everything. I hit one today that rolled out 280yds. It was down hill after the first 200yds but still. I hit it good and it set the tone for the day. I made great contact all day and my nGIR was just awesome. Heck , I had quite a few GIR's too. Short chips let me down today, I just was leaving putts way to long. Im gonna clean that up a bit and 79 is mine. Im so confident right now. The 5 min daily thread has put me in a mindset that im just enjoying to the hilt. I love this game, especially when Im scoring. Hell of a day. 84 without any lucky saviors , I just love it. Hit Em Good Yall !!!

Nice round!  It always feels great when that happens.  Earlier this season (middle of March), I had a round where I shot 81 and swore that I finally figured it out.  It took me until September to shoot another score that low.  

Keep it going!  I'm gonna join in on the 5 minute daily practice thread for January, so... hopefully it helps me out.

22 hours ago, 808hacker said:

Congratulations! I went out today and had a typical bogey round with no pars and a couple of doubles but it was a day off so I was relaxed. Ended with an off the green birdie putt for the 9th hole for 45 but today there were several putts that were one inch short so it wasn't that bad of a day.

Then was going home but my car mysteriously turned into another course and I played 9 and shot a 42. So 87 in all so I am happy. 

Haha!  I love that your car found its way into another course all by itself!  Nice 87!  

For me, my daughters (9 and 11 years old) got clubs for Christmas, so... I took them and my son (16) out to our club and played a 9 hole scramble on Monday with them.  I told them not to worry about hitting great shots and to just get the feel for swinging the club.  On the greens, they did a surprisingly good job of putting and we had fun.  

Overall, we shot a 45 (+9) and I played really poorly (trying shots I wouldn't normally hit, etc) but we had a good time... so, it all worked out in the end.

CY

• Upvote 1

Career Bests
- 18 Holes - 72 (+1) - Par 71 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022
- 9 Holes - 36 (E) - Par 36 - Pine Island Country Club - 6/25/2022

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Because it was a nice day and I had a free foursome to burn before the end of the week, I got out today to a course I've played a few times before.  It's one of the nicer maintained country club courses I get to play and I genuinely enjoy the greens there.  

It wasn't a great round for me, but it also wasn't horrible.  I played from tees probably a little too far back (6505 yards) as opposed to the tees that I should have played (5899 yards) and it resulted in hitting some different clubs than I'm used to for approaches.  Overall, however, it wasn't all that bad.  

On the front, I had a pretty good stretch of holes ruined by an ugly triple bogey, and then I finished that side with consecutive doubles for a 46.  

The back was more of the same.  A pair of doubles was surrounded by a bunch of bogeys and pars, but the worst part was a trio of three-putts (included a pair that resulted in bogeys).  A 45 coming in wasn't horrible, but wasn't what I was looking for.  

The 46 - 45 = 91 was my 4th consecutive 91 reported to GHIN and I've now only posted scores in the 80's 2 times in my last 15 full rounds.  

I have got to find some time for actual practice in the coming weeks.  

CY

Career Bests

The 46 - 45 = 91 was my 4th consecutive 91 reported to GHIN and I've now only posted scores in the 80's 2 times in my last 15 full rounds.  

Great! Especially from the longer tees!

Right now I am playing better but I still can't fix the all too often hitting behind the ball. Gotta work on it. I plan to go out on New Years day - whatever happens it will be fun.

• Upvote 1

One thing i have noticed, a lot of "so called bogey players "a lot don't play by the rules.

They take 2 mulligans, move their ball, do not take stroke distance for out of bounds and lost ball. Give them selves a couple of missed 3 footers in a skins game or what ever.

If they followed these they would be lucky to break a hundred.

Thats something I have noticed, what  is your opinion with playing golf for the first time with someone after they state they are a bogey golfer?s

The main thing I have noticed is the gimme putts. Sometimes the gimme putts are not really gimme distance. Otherwise, yes, some players move their ball out of dirt patches or do not walk all the way back to the tee - especially when walking. But honestly, I'd rather have them play quickly than drag everything down trying to play "competition golf" when most of us are trying to just get exercise.

For me, I try to play by the rules, but I am not above picking up or just hitting from where I am - especially when the course is crowded. Pace of play is way more important than personal score IMO especially when you have no intention of playing competitively.

What I have noticed is that "regulars" just hate slow play and are constantly grumbling about it.

6 hours ago, DavidMatthew1978 said:

One thing i have noticed, a lot of "so called bogey players "a lot don't play by the rules.

I see a lot of that, but it's not really from anybody who labels themselves as a bogey golfer.  In general, it's just people out having fun.  I like to putt everything out because, in the tournaments I play, there's no gimmes at all.  

The one rule the club does use is that for most flights, there is a triple bogey maximum.  If you reach that number... pick up.  So, if I'm putting for double from 20 feet or something, I may run the ball 10 feet past the hole because I was trying to make it.  It may affect my overall score, but it doesn't affect my GHIN score because of ESC (unless I triple a par 3, in which case I will add the extra stroke if I was at a distance where it's unlikely that I was going to make the putt).

4 hours ago, 808hacker said:

For me, I try to play by the rules, but I am not above picking up or just hitting from where I am - especially when the course is crowded. Pace of play is way more important than personal score IMO especially when you have no intention of playing competitively.

What I have noticed is that "regulars" just hate slow play and are constantly grumbling about it.

If I am playing a casual round and I cannot find a ball that I was sure was in play... I typically drop another ball near where I thought it was and then add 2 strokes to my score as if I had gone back and hit another tee shot.  It's quicker and I still feel the sting of the penalty.  

As for slow play... yeah, the regulars at my course are the biggest complainers.  I've played about 30 rounds there and only 1 has taken me even close to 4 hours.  The rest have been 3.5 hours or quicker, and often, I will be able to walk and play it in under 3 hours total despite how spaced out the back nine is.  

The regulars like to go off first.  They're a group of about 8 older guys that play a money game most mornings and they're around the course in 3 hours unless there's someone having a particularly poor day.

CY

Career Bests

6 hours ago, DavidMatthew1978 said:

Thats something I have noticed, what  is your opinion with playing golf for the first time with someone after they state they are a bogey golfer?s

I don't recall ever playing with someone that called himself a "bogey golfer". Normally, we say to each other "I suck" "Good, I suck to".

• Upvote 2

18 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

I don't recall ever playing with someone that called himself a "bogey golfer". Normally, we say to each other "I suck" "Good, I suck to".

Funny you mention this.  If I say I am a bogey golfer, I will have a bad round and shoot in the 90's.  If I say I suck, I will play great and throw down an 87 or so.

Edited by Vinny Cap
  • Upvote 1

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I play a lot of rounds where I am paired with strangers. Usually no one says their handicap. Most people I would say on this particular course are bogey golfers or worse. Mostly retired people just enjoying themselves. So when anyone makes a par everyone is happy.

If you happen to make 3 or 4 pars in a row people start thinking you are good. Until the inevitable double or triple comes along!

Edited by 808hacker

Played yesterday at Temple, Maidenhead. First time I've played there was a nice course from what I could see of it, very thick fog which didn't help.

Shot a disappointing 53 going out which included an 11 on one hole. Coming back in though shot a 41 !!!!!

53-41 = 94

Also cut my handicap from 27.4 down to 25.8 which I was delighted with.

Hey Yall , The new golf season is upon us. As much as we like this thread I hope we all graduate this year. Time to buckle down and get it done. Im personally gonna treat it like work. Gonna try my hardest to stay focused for 18 holes every single time out. I know its supposed to be fun but it sure sounds like fun to be in the 70's. Good Luck to everybody and Happy New Year !!

• Upvote 1

My Bag (Callaway ORG 14 )
Callaway Apex CF16's 4-AW
Callaway MD3's 54deg---58deg   W-grind
Callaway 3-hybrid
Callaway XR16 10.5 driver and 3-wood
Odyssey Metal X Milled #6 putter
Chrome Soft ball

19 hours ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

Hey Yall , The new golf season is upon us. As much as we like this thread I hope we all graduate this year. Time to buckle down and get it done. Im personally gonna treat it like work. Gonna try my hardest to stay focused for 18 holes every single time out. I know its supposed to be fun but it sure sounds like fun to be in the 70's. Good Luck to everybody and Happy New Year !!

Bring on the new year!   Good luck & best wishes to everyone.

I graduated, barely, ending with 15.8 HI on 12/31/16.  For most of the year, my HI was in 14.5 - 15.5 range.

What's working now: ball striking accuracy, relaxing & having fun instead of being a golfer on a mission.   Less playing and more practice.

What's not working: short game, ball striking distance

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

1 hour ago, rkim291968 said:

Bring on the new year!   Good luck & best wishes to everyone.

I graduated, barely, ending with 15.8 HI on 12/31/16.  For most of the year, my HI was in 14.5 - 15.5 range.

What's working now: ball striking accuracy, relaxing & having fun instead of being a golfer on a mission.   Less playing and more practice.

What's not working: short game, ball striking distance

@rkim291968 I might be on a mission , haha. Thats probably good advice but I cant help it. This year is all about improvement so I can enjoy golf later in life. Good luck with your game this year and congrats on the Index bud !!!

• Upvote 1

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

11 hours ago, Strat-Pack Rick said:

@rkim291968 I might be on a mission , haha. Thats probably good advice but I cant help it. This year is all about improvement so I can enjoy golf later in life. Good luck with your game this year and congrats on the Index bud !!!

@Strat-Pack Rick, no problem with being on a mission as long as you have fun in playing & improving :-).   Knock yourself out, buddy  :beer:.   

I am giving myself a temp relief from being on a mission.  I think of it as recharging myself before a run at 14 HI in 2017.

• Upvote 1

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

went out to course, and could not hit irons worth a darn. All were fat, it took me 17 holes to figure it out. Only by moving the ball about 3 inches back in my stance was I able to reach bottom of the arc correctly. A little more shaft lean, automatically placing weight more forward, seemed to work. Realizing that next time out, it may be something else however. I was taking plenty of divot, but obviously in back of the ball.  Also mat practice may or may not have contributed.

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

• RandallT changed the title to Bogey Golfers Only (HI From 16-22)/Breaking 90 Thread

I gripped down on driver in yesterday's round.  Drives were shorter but more accurate.  Ball trajectories were lower.  I have gripped down before but only when an occasion called for.   I think I will give a more serious thought on gripping down as norm.  

What's working: bunker shots (for a change), chipping & putting

What's not working: can't find my golf balls in deep rough.   AKA, my ball striking is bad. 

RiCK

(Play it again, Sam)

Didnt break 80 but I did break my wrist. Im so mad. I was getting somewhere and now its just over. Six to Eight weeks til I can even try to hit a ball. Its my right wrist so I cant even play one handed. Bummed

Callaway 3-hybrid
Chrome Soft ball

Hmmm... this thread was moved from the main forum and I could not locate it for awhile.  

It's been a busy few weeks for me with work, unfortunately.  I spent much of the last two weeks on the road, which means not a lot of time as being spent on my game.  

I did get out last Thursday for a nine hole round where I shot a 45 that could have (and should have) been much better.  I also got out Friday with a friend at his club.  I've played there twice in the past and this was, by far, my best round there.  I made it around in 42 - 46 = 88.  The back nine 46 easily should have been 2 to 4 strokes lower, but because of some poor shots and decisions over the last 3 holes, I threw away a bunch of shots.  

Saturday, my primary golf group got together and played a 4 team, 2 man scramble format.  I played pretty well, individually, but... my partner struggled.  The winning score was +1 but we finished well back at +9.  The majority of the damage was done on holes 13 through 16.  We threw up an ugly double on the 13th after we landed in a really poor spot and duffed it around from there.  

I won't get to play or practice again until Thursday when I'll probably have time for nine holes... and then Saturday morning, we've got the next (and hopefully not last) match of our Winter Four Ball tournament at the club I belong to.  We need to win to stay alive.  

I'll update after Thursday and/or Saturday.

'Til then...

CY

Career Bests

Note: This thread is 998 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!