IGNORED

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

rkim291968
Note: This thread is 1016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

10 minutes ago, iacas said:

If you have a chance to cancel it, please consider doing so, and ordering directly from us at https://lowestscorewins.com.

You're buying a used book from Amazon, as we don't sell them on Amazon and we're the only people who sell them new.

Done!!  When time permits can you look to see if it was processed right. It sent me to PayPal and I payed but when it sent me back to the LSWs page it showed an error. 

Sorry Amazon made it look like it was new. Would much rather support you. 

• Like 1

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• Administrator
3 minutes ago, Gipper said:

Done!!  When time permits can you look to see if it was processed right. It sent me to PayPal and I payed but when it sent me back to the LSWs page it showed an error. 

Sorry Amazon made it look like it was new. Would much rather support you. 

We just got an order, and I'll ship it out tomorrow.

What page did it take you to at LSW? Could you PM me the URL? It shouldn't show you an error page.

Thank you.

• Thumbs Up 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

4 minutes ago, iacas said:

We just got an order, and I'll ship it out tomorrow.

What page did it take you to at LSW? Could you PM me the URL? It shouldn't show you an error page.

Thank you.

Sorry I ordered from my phone and am trying to find.  After submitting info on PayPal it had a return to merchant link.  I want to say it said either page not found or some type of error. It was the LSW page though. Sorry I didn’t keep but am excited to get reading it. 

Driver: Taylormade RBZ :tmade: Irons: Titleist AP1 :titleist: PW-4 All other clubs are needing upgrading as I am able to afford it.

• 4 months later...

Hey guys, Regular reader but never posted before. Really enjoying the forums.

28 year old NYC area golfer. I've been playing about 12-13 years but only started to take it more seriously in the last 3. Like all Northeast golfers, you play all spring and summer then have to re-learn your swing each year.  Recently I have been swinging in my apartment, and using a putting mat which absolutely has lowered my scores.

The crazy part about this game, and being in the bogey golfer range is how different each round can go.  I've shot as low as 78 and as high as 106 all within the last season.  Biggest thing I think for me this season is getting rid of the duffed shots that turn rounds in the 80s to 90s, and hitting a few greens.  Even rounds that I break 90, I'll only hit 3-5 greens. This season I started to hit the range one night a week, hoping to get a better read of my distances, and more consistent contact.

• 11 months later...

Reviving a dead thread but who cares 🙂

I was wondering for all of you who say you break 100/90/80, do you count your esc scores or your actual scores? Do you ever say you broke 90 while picking up a ball on a hole?

Just to clarify, I finally got the chance to go out now that the courses reopened and I shot a 41 on a 34 par 9 holes course. But the 41 was with a triple bogey on a par 3 hole 2 where I lost the ball where I was pretty sure I’ll find it and because the course was packed (30 days of lockdown will do that) I couldn’t go back to the tee. So I dropped a ball, penalty stroke and finished with a 6. I also had a regular triple bogey on the first par 4 so I was +6 on the first two holes, then went par, birdie, par, bogey, bogey, par, par to finish. But if we say strictly by the rulebook I don’t have a legal scorecard to sign...

5 hours ago, Killa said:

I was wondering for all of you who say you break 100/90/80, do you count your esc scores or your actual scores? Do you ever say you broke 90 while picking up a ball on a hole?

I count my actual scores. I don’t really pay attention to ESC, because IMO, it’s not a “real” score. I don’t pick up my ball. Ever. I play the ball out whether I take five strokes on a hole or 15. We do play a “triple bogey max” rule in matches, but that’s mainly for pace of play.

WITB:
Woods: Cleveland Launcher (Driver, 17 degree, 22 degree)
Irons: Titleist T200 (4-PW)
Wedges: Callaway Jaws (50/54/60)
Putter: Odyssey White Hot

13 hours ago, Killa said:

For breaking a benchmark, I feel it is only appropriate to use total score and not ESC.

13 hours ago, Killa said:

Just to clarify, I finally got the chance to go out now that the courses reopened and I shot a 41 on a 34 par 9 holes course. But the 41 was with a triple bogey on a par 3 hole 2 where I lost the ball where I was pretty sure I’ll find it and because the course was packed (30 days of lockdown will do that) I couldn’t go back to the tee. So I dropped a ball, penalty stroke and finished with a 6. I also had a regular triple bogey on the first par 4 so I was +6 on the first two holes, then went par, birdie, par, bogey, bogey, par, par to finish. But if we say strictly by the rulebook I don’t have a legal scorecard to sign...

Did you guys adopt the new handicap system yet? I believe an individual hole score may be adjusted to net double bogey to produce an acceptable score if you failed to apply the correct penalty.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

10 hours ago, billchao said:

For breaking a benchmark, I feel it is only appropriate to use total score and not ESC.

Did you guys adopt the new handicap system yet? I believe an individual hole score may be adjusted to net double bogey to produce an acceptable score if you failed to apply the correct penalty.

we did but with the current coronavirus situation we don’t actually apply it yet. Golf is just too limited. I’m limited to a shortish 9 hole course and a par 3 course but I’ll take what I can get. 

I do feel that I will be breaking 90 multiple times this summer as I’ve used this downtime to work on my weaknesses in short game and putting as these two were neglected in the past 3 seasons  

• 4 weeks later...

I used to add to this topic but haven't in at least a couple of years but figure I will try and get back to it.   As a refresher, I am an 18 and seem to have remained there for the past few seasons.  Part of the reason is that I feel my course is rated lower than it should be (69.1/116 - 5,815 yds)...I have no idea what I think it should be but it seems that I fair better on other courses that are rated more difficult.   I think going forward I will try and make a good at the blue tees which are longer and has a more appropriate rating (70.8 / 122 - 6.314 yds).  

Last year I played the fewest rounds since I started taking the game seriously 6-7 years ago.  There were a few factors that lead to that which I won't get into but I am hoping to play more (Covid-19 aside).  Played 25 rounds with a scoring avg of 91.28...Ranged anywhere from an 85-98 across 10 different courses.

Both of these rounds were from last weekend but will do my best to recap.

Round 1 - Country Meadows (Home Course) - Par 72 White Tees - 5,815 yds (69.1 / 116) - Course was pretty wet, non water proof shoes, tight back...should be fun round.

Hole 1 - Par 4 - 325y - Doglegs around 220 yrds for an easy line at the green.   Drive went right under a tree but I had a shot with about 100 yds left to green....choked down on 52* and hit a miracle shot that rolled up to the hole leaving 4'.   Nice birdie to start first hole of the year (Birdie -1)

Hole 2 - Par 4 - 350y - Dead straight, good size fairway with OOB on both sides.  Historically, I never seem to have a good drive on this hole, but today I did.  Unfortunately, ball plugged leaving me 140ish in.   Left short of green, bad chip that lead to a standard two putt.  (Bogey - E)

Hole 3 - Par 3 - 128y - Straight forward par 3, just don't go long where there is water.  Missed green on right close to pin high, chip and 2 putt.  (Bogey +1)

Hole 4 - Par 4 - 349y - My nemesis hole.  Terrible tee shot which sliced OOB, played it okay besides that shot...(Double Bogey +3)

Hole 5 - Par 5 - 451y - I go from one of my hated holes to one of my fave….nice short par 5.  Hit decent drive that left about 225 to the green.   Smoked a 3W like I never have before and was tracking right at the flag towards a slightly elevated green.  Hit just before but bounced and rolled up about 15' from the pin.   Missed the eagle putt but had a tap in bird.   First time I have ever hit any par 5 in 2.   (Birdie - +2)

Hole 6 - Par 3 - 145y - Tricky par 3 where left is the miss since short is water, right is woods, long is parking lot.   Slightly pulled my 7 but caught a nice bounce on the left and rolled on the green.  Missed birdie putt, easy 3.  (Par +2)

Hole 7 - Par 5 - 527y - Hit a solid drive up left side fwy.  Pulled my 3w terribly which left me about 160 to green with water short.  Flared it right missing the green and water.  Bad pitch which did not get on the green.  Chip and a two putt.  (Double Bogey +4)

Hole 8 - Par 4 - 325y - Nice 3w and approach to 12'.  Have my 4th birdie putt in the first 8 holes which is unheard of.  Missed it but tapped in par.  (Par +4)

Hole 9 - Par 4 - 308y - Kind of funny that previous hole is probably one of the easiest on the course and I consider the 9th one of the tougher holes even though it plays shorter.  Nuked 3w and landed my approach pin high on right side of the green where the flag was on the left about 30-35' away.  3 putt to end the front.  (Bogey +5)

41 on the front 9 for first round of the year.  Hell yeah, I will take it....let's keep it going.

Hole 10 - Par 3 - 147y - landed on green short of flag with a long putt....lagged it about 5' past but made the comebacker.  (Par +5)

Hole 11 - Par 5 - 513y - Very straightforward Par 5 with next to no trouble....OOB both sides but generous fairway.  To make a long story short, I forgot how to swing any type of club on this hole.  Duffed the tee shot, put my 2nd in a ditch (was playable) yadda yadda, mark me for a snowman (Triple Bogey +8)

Hole 12 - Par 4 - 330y - Tee shot is opposite from the last hole where it is all about placement....really favors a fade.  Hit a 3w to straight which ran to the edge of the woods.  Played out sideways to the 100 marker.  Hit the green with a 2 putt.  (Bogey +9)

Hole 13 - Par 4 - 345y - Dog leg left which the angle of this hole always throws me off.  Sign on the tee box points out that it is 211 to the pond.  Hit 5w on a great line (or so I thought) and flew it into the water.  Never done that before.  One of those feelings where I was pissed, but at the same time, impressed that I flew my 5w that distance.   (Double Bogey +11)

Hole 14 - Par 4 - 357y - Another one of my fave holes but not today.  Sliced drive where I can usually find it but no luck (probably plugged)  Back to back penalties...(Double Bogey +13)

Hole 15 - Par 4 - 336y - Another right dogleg....hit 3w that went right and got really lucky with a tree kicking it back to the edge of the fwy.  Still no shot at the green so had to cut the corner a bit to get back to the fwy around the 100 yd marker.  Hit a great shot to the green and sank the putt.  Finally.  (Par +13)

Hole 16 - Par 3 - 140y - Straight forward Par 3 but toughest green on course.   Missed right, duffed a chip, next chip was on and 2 putt.  (Double Bogey +15)

Hole 17 - Par 5 - 459y - Short but tough par 5 with dog leg and a green surrounded by water (kind of an island green) - Great tee shot but got unlucky as I had tree in my line.  2nd shot hit the tree and knocked it straight down. 3rd was where I wanted it in my lay up position.  On the green, 2 putt.  (Bogey +16)

Hole 18 - Par 4 - 280y - Probably the 2nd easiest hole on the course if you get your tee shot in play....which I did but I flew my pitch way to the back.  3 putt to finish (Bogey +17)

Went 41/48 for 89.   Exceeded my expectations by only being +5 after 10 holes and then went +12 on the remaining 8 holes.  Chalk it up to rust, wet feet and general fatigue.  But I am taking away the positives.

Stats

2 birdies

4 pars

6 bogeys

6 Double +

33 putts

3 penalties

Round 2 - Mountain Woods - Par 72 Blue Tees (68.5 / 117 - 6,195 yds)

Won't go into detail on this one as I am not super familiar with this course and can't remember too many of the specifics. 

Just like round 1 - came out and birdied the first hole of the day which is one of the toughest on the course.  Next hole is the shortest Par 3 on the course and proceeded to hack it up for a triple.  Rest of the front was a nice mixture of pars and bogeys and again, finished strong with a 41 on the front.  Back 9 was not much to write home about and ended with a 46.

41-46 - 87.

Stats

1 birdie

7 pars

5 bogeys

5 double +

35 putts

3 penalties

Overall, for the first two rounds of the year and scoring in the 80s, I am definitely happy with that and how I played for the most part.  Take away the birdies and interestingly enough, out of 33 holes, I had 11 pars, 11 bogeys, 11 doubles or worse. 

Going out for 9 at the home course and have a round lined up on Saturday at another course that is one of the more difficult ones in my area....but also one I really enjoy.  They have made some changes recently that I am interested to see. 

Didn't know this thread existed, and I fall in to the category, although my handicap is self kept so may have some inaccuracies, especially this year between covid and the adverse conditions adjustments. I have broken 90 on 3 out of my last 7 rounds, so forward progress is being made. I think that the difference for me has been mostly penalty strokes. If I can get off the tee without a lost/water ball, even if it's a crap drive of only 130-150 yards (normally 220ish) and sometimes worse, then I can still manage a double bogey almost for sure. Another thing that has helped me loads is having almost no fat shots anymore (usually they come on par 3s if they do so I can still manage double bogeys). Not too long ago, I could be on a par 5 and take 5 or more shots to get greenside (without penalty) because of fat iron shots or topped woods. Now I am at least NGiR on almost all par 5s, if not on and close.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    
  • :titleist: 818 H2 19o EvenFlow blue shaft 
  • :titleist: 712 AP2 4-PW
  • :vokey: 52/8o SM6 RAW    56/14o SM6 Chrome      60/4o SM6 Chrome
  • :ping: Anser Sigma G putter
  • :snell: MTB-Black Balls

11 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Didn't know this thread existed, and I fall in to the category, although my handicap is self kept so may have some inaccuracies, especially this year between covid and the adverse conditions adjustments.

Community still has a men's association doesn't it?

If it works anything like KHMA did, the ghin is part of that. You can become official.

Edited by mcanadiens

6 minutes ago, mcanadiens said:

Community still has a men's association doesn't it?

If it works anything like KHMA did, the ghin is part of that. You can become official.

I'm sure they do, but with covid I haven't really been motivated. Get the noodles out of the cups and we'll talk lol. I know that it might be a while, but I am not really in a rush to join just yet. Maybe I'll ask on Saturday.

• :titleist: 917 D2 9.5o EvenFlow blue shaft    :titleist: 917 F2 15o EvenFlow blue shaft    

I've finally reached a point where I break 90 more often than not.

The biggest single thing was getting my swing to a point where I could meaningfully advance the ball toward the target just about every swing. I used to hit tons of terrible fat shots, like hitting the ground 3-6 inches behind the ball. Yes, those shots advance the ball, but not far enough to be considered meaningful. I still hit more thin or toed shots than I would like, but they generally travel far enough to not penal like a chunked approach that goes 20 yards. Sometimes my thinned/toed shots get lucky and roll onto or near the green. Also chunked chips and pitches were a big problem for me, sometimes taking 2-3 short game shots to get on the green.

I haven't gotten penalty strokes under control yet. I still take between 4-8 penalty strokes a round, most of the time from tee shots going O.B. This is my main focus in lessons/practice currently.

• Like 2

-Peter

• :titleist: TSR2
  • :callaway: Paradym, 4W
  • :pxg: GEN4 0317X, Hybrid
  • :srixon: ZX 3-iron, ZX5 4-AW
  • :cleveland:  RTX Zipcore 54 & 58
  • L.A.B. Golf Directed Force 2.1

13 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

I've finally reached a point where I break 90 more often than not.

The biggest single thing was getting my swing to a point where I could meaningfully advance the ball toward the target just about every swing. I used to hit tons of terrible fat shots, like hitting the ground 3-6 inches behind the ball. Yes, those shots advance the ball, but not far enough to be considered meaningful. I still hit more thin or toed shots than I would like, but they generally travel far enough to not penal like a chunked approach that goes 20 yards. Sometimes my thinned/toed shots get lucky and roll onto or near the green. Also chunked chips and pitches were a big problem for me, sometimes taking 2-3 short game shots to get on the green.

I haven't gotten penalty strokes under control yet. I still take between 4-8 penalty strokes a round, most of the time from tee shots going O.B. This is my main focus in lessons/practice currently.

Really similar to my own experience. Good contact is key. Gotta get that driver in order now 😉

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Bonvivant said:

Really similar to my own experience. Good contact is key. Gotta get that driver in order now 😉

Yup - I think I have a bit of a psychological hurdle to overcome with it. When I'm getting ready to tee off with driver, I'm usually already thinking that I'm going to hook it O.B. before I even take off the head cover.

-Peter

3 minutes ago, Darkfrog said:

Yup - I think I have a bit of a psychological hurdle to overcome with it. When I'm getting ready to tee off with driver, I'm usually already thinking that I'm going to hook it O.B. before I even take off the head cover.

Always visualize positive outcomes. It may not always work, but it's one heck of a start.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Darkfrog said:

For these types of thoughts, understand what your stress is doing to your body, and how that (likely) extra tension isn't letting you do the swing you're supposed to do.  For me, my tension causes me to misalign my shoulders and pull the ball into very bad spots.

• Like 1

Woods: Ping G15 10.5* Draw Driver;   Ping G Series 14.5* 3 Wood;  Callaway 2019 Apex 19* 3 Hybrid

Irons: Mizuno MP-33 4-PW

Wedges: Ping Glide 1.0 52* SS, Glide Stealth 2.0 56* ES, Hogan 60* SW

Edel E-1 Putter

1 hour ago, Bonvivant said:

Always visualize positive outcomes. It may not always work, but it's one heck of a start.

Funny how the mind works.

I had my best round driving the ball ever a couple weeks ago when courses in CA first opened up. I was grouped with a twosome just happy to be out on the course again. One guy was terrible (could barely hit the ball) and picked his ball up and quit the hole more than half the time. The other guy was really good. My abilities pretty much split the difference between these two.

For some reason, playing with nobody of comparable skill really freed my mind, and I didn't have any negative thoughts teeing off.

5 minutes ago, amished said:

For these types of thoughts, understand what your stress is doing to your body, and how that (likely) extra tension isn't letting you do the swing you're supposed to do.

I should definitely try to understand this a little better. Next time I'm having these thoughts, I'm going to try and see if I can observe externally what the effect is.

-Peter

Note: This thread is 1016 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!