rkim291968

Bogey Golfers Only (Index 16-22) / Breaking 90 Topic

2,634 posts / 193016 viewsLast Reply

My last two rounds I have started trying to use driver again. I had grounded it so far this season while I worked on striking consistency and left it in the bag. I feel I have made substantial strides with irons, but driver still penalizes me. 

I also have allowed negative thoughts to creep in as soon as I start to remove the head cover. I need to practice positive thinking about driver. I know I cannot expect to continue to make substantial progress as it relates to my HI until I can get off the box more effectively. I lack any semblance of confidence with that club at this point. I know that has to change. Extremely frustrating that that club is so difficult for me to hit! 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Played back 9 last night at home course.  Goal is always to keep any nine holes under 45 (+9) The black flies were out in full force that I thought they would carry me away....still scratching me legs this morning.

10 - Par 3. 147yd - Missed green right, behind a tree of course.  Took two chips and two putts to get in hole.  (Double Bogey +2)

11 - Par 5, 513y  - Kinda topped a drive, which I never do but still rolled out about 80 yards..duffed 3w and then hit solid 3w up the left (further than first two shots combined).  4th shot was still about 180 out ...missed green left side and short sided myself.  Chip and 2 putts.  (Double Bogey +4)

12 - Par 4, 330y - Seriously pulled/hooked a 3W off the tee than found GUR.  Even with free relief, had not choice but to pitch back out to 100 yd marker.  Hit center green with 2 putts.  (Bogey +5)

13 - Par 4, 345y - Duffed 5W off the tee that barely made it past ladies tee box.  Hit a nice 7i out of crap to put me to the 100 y marker.  Flew it to back of green, 2 putt (Bogey +6)

14 - Par 4, 357y - Hit a great drive finally up the left side, leaving me about 110y.  Pin was back left corner, but I was aiming at middle green....missed my line and went long & left.   Hit a really nice chip that put me in tap in distance.  (Par +6)

15 - Par 4, 336y - Huge dog leg right, my 3w went left but still in fairway.  Typically a straight shot will put you about 120 out from green, I was 160 out.  Hit my 7i and hit back right of green and bounced in water.  Took my drop and chipped in for a Par somehow.  Don't think I have ever parred a hole after taking a penalty stroke.  (Par +6)

Hole 16 - Par 3, 140y - Missed long and right, an okay chip back and 2 putt.   (Bogey +7)

Hole 17 - Par 5, 459y - Nightmare hole....sliced tee shot OOB.  Eventually made my way down to my lay up spot, just in front of 100y marker.  Went long into the water.  Two penalties on one hole.  (Triple Bogey +10)

Hole 18 - Par 4, 280y - Sliced drive but was able to punch out.  As usual, approach went long.  Chipping 4 from back of the green and just like on hole 15, it went in the cup.  (Par +10)

Finished with a 46 total, but it felt like a low 50.   Got extremely lucky on the 2 holes that I chipped in.  For about the last 4 holes, I did almost zero preparation as I just wanted to hit it and run from the black flies. Overall, I did hit some good shots, but not too much felt good like it did in my first two rounds of the season.

Have two rounds lined up this weekend.....Saturday at an away course that is a pretty tough track for me. (70.3/124, 6,245yd) with  enourmous greens....but its a fun course.   Sunday's round will be at the home course.

We all realize that effectively using the driver will lower our scores.  So you trying to force yourself to use it puts you in a bad spot as you can't make your normal turn or whatever with your swing.  At some point you must've hit a good swing, try to recreate that feeling.  Or figure out which of the 5SK you are farthest from and focus on that for a while in your swing.  Is your head starting to move cause you're trying to kill the ball, are you not getting your weight forward cause you're trying to guide the ball out there leading to a non-inline impact position, etc..  

For me, I started to realize that my stress of my driver was causing me to not have a proper sweet spot path (my shoulders were way off line causing a bad hand path, and even pulling my head away from where it started.  Also for me, it's easier for me to focus on staying in balance than trying to keep my head steady as my body has some weird ways it can compensate for keeping my head in one place so that put me in a better position as well as letting me think about less during the swing too which seems to help.

Sitting around 22 right now after entering 5 rounds in palm springs in January where I STB on difficult courses, for me.

Started my first two local rounds last week, + 21 (couple of triples) and +15 (no triples-7 pars). 

I gotta remember to stick with sensible decisions to eliminate doubles and triples:

Not to follow a bad shot (I'll always have them) with a stupid shot.

Edited by uitar9
mistake

Played Saturday at one of the tougher courses (for me) in my area which plays as a Par 72, 70.3/124 - 6,245 yds.  Some highlights/lowlights. 

First hole is a 490 y Par 5 - Hit my tee shot weak right and the put a 5w out leaving me 180 to a downhill green.   Hit a 5i clean and looked to be online but once it cleared the hill, I lost sight of it.  As I get closer to the green, my ball is sitting not even 3' from the hole....miracle shot.  For the 3rd consecutive round, I birdie the first hole.  Made bogeys on 2-5.

Hole 6 - 143y Par 3 - had one of my best iron shots of the day.  2 putt par.

Hole 8 - Par 4 that is about 230 to the water from the tee.  Always have played this with my 3w to land safely before the water hazard.  It may be time to switch to 5w or 4i as my tee shot went into the water.  Ended up with Double Bogey.

Finished the front 9 with a 44 which is always excellent here.

Back 9 started off terribly as I went +7 over three holes.  This includes a triple bogey on hole 12.  Tee shot left me ~ 165 to the green.  Flew over it and landed in this spongey type of moss on the back tree line.  Took me 3 freaking shots to get back on the green.

Back 9 was not much to write home about....had back to back pars but that was it.  Came in on 48

44/48 - 92.....I will say, my tee shots, irons, and putter were all working.  Even with a 92, I must have easily lost 10-12 shots from just around the green.  Frustrating but it tells me what to focus on. 

Stats

1 Birdie

3 Pars

9 Bogeys

5 Double +

4 GIR

35 Putts

1 Penalty

Sunday, I played at my home course.  Front 9 was nothing special as I went out with a 45 and I then proceeded to light it up on the first half of the back 9.  I started out Par, Birdie, Par, Par putting me -1 after 4 holes and E after 5 holes.   I then had a disappointing finish of Double, Par, Bogey, Double. 

Finished 45/41 - 86 for the lowest round of the year.   4 rounds in with scores of 89,87,92,86 so hopefully that is a sign of things to come.  I am feeling much more comfortable on most shots from a driver to a putter.  Just need to get the feel back for around the green and hopefully the scores/handicap will drop. 

In those 4 rounds, I have 5 birdies.  In 2019, it took me 16 rounds to get 5 birdies. 

Stats

1 Birdie

6 Pars

7 Bogeys

4 Double +

6 GIR

32 Putts

1 Penalty

Visited my hometown this weekend and played Rockwood Park Golf Course - Par 70, 68.0 / 114 - 5,677y/  Although the course plays short, it is very tricky....you can have perfectly straight drives on each hole and still have a very awkward lie.  There is a lot of hills, mounds, slopes, etc that can make it very challenging.  I was in good shape off the tee most of the day but had more than a few challenging lies that I struggled with.

Hole 1&2 - Standard Bogeys

Hole 3 - Par 3 - 185y - Duffed a 5i off the tee and ended up in penalty area.  Long story short, took a 7 on par 3.

Hole 4 - Perfect 3w leaving me about 140ish.....took me 5 more shots to get in the hole for a double bogey....could be a long day.

Finally by Hole 5, I settle down.  On holes 5-8, I hit all 4 greens in regulation but could only muster out 2 pars and 2 - 3 putt bogeys.  Finished 9 with a bogey as well.

Front 9 - 46

Started back with a bogey and double.  Hole 12 is a short 280y Par 4 with a massive bunker right in front.  Everytime I hit driver, I end up in that bunker.  Tried 3W this time and stayed about 10' short of bunker.  Flipped a nice lob wedge up there and drained the birdie putt.  All 5 of my rounds so far, I have made at least one birdie.

Last 6 holes were fairly standard with a couple of pars, bogeys, and doubles.   On 18, I needed par on the 125y Par 3 to break 90....and I did.

46/43 - 89

Stats

1 Birdie

4 Pars

8 Bogeys

5 Double +

6 GIR

35 Putts

1 Penalty