IGNORED

It's All About the Ball - and Ego

Blackjack Don
Note: This thread is 2591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

31 minutes ago, iacas said:

Move beyond the idea that "red = women". They're just tees at certain yardages. If you play from them, they're your tees.

Downing is a muni. Whispering Woods is not all that expensive, either.

As you know some courses don't even use colors.

I think Caledonia uses different kinds of ducks, for example.

In Florida I have seen everything from Blue being the tips, white the "normal men's "tees, red the "women's" gold for "seniors" etc to a numbering system. At Deltona Golf Club they are labeled Roman numerals I through V. Have seen one place with six color tees to choose from which included really forward ones for kiddos or whomever. Agree:  Pick your poison and know your distances. I have played red tees before. Didn't bother me. Should have played them last week when at Crescent Oaks, might have a few more balls in my bag. 

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

33 minutes ago, jkelley9 said:

Interesting. Would you say that's average "good" forward tee separations?

My courses are like @Blackjack Don is stating (I think). I've attached my home course with the delta distances.

Would you say these are poorly spaced? I kind of feel like they are?

Edit: I updated to include championship-senior (full width) of tees. Appears 42.5 yards/hole average. Is this better? 

jkelley9-home-course-scorecard.PNG

jkelley9-home-course-scorecard (2).PNG

This to me isn't the proper yardage differences.  Just looking at the difference between Middle and Senior tees (I can't believe they made a point to use the terms "Championship" and "Middle" which are gender and age neutral, then use the term "Senior". There are a lot of people who should play the forward tees that are not seniors, but won't because of the name, especially females who are not seniors) and there are holes like #1, #10, #13 which are only 10 yards difference, and #3, #11, #12, #14 which are only about 15 yds difference, so almost half the holes are 15 yds or less.  Then #4, #5, #9, #15, #17 and #18 that are 35-50 yds difference!  I think this is better than 10 yds, but if I was playing for money I don't think I'd want to spot anyone 50 yds.

Bridgestone j40 445 w/ Graphite Design AD DJ-7
Callaway Steelhead Plus 3 wood w/ RCH Pro Series 3.2
Adams Idea Pro hybrids (3 & 4) w/ Aldila VS Proto 
Bridgestone j33 CB (5-PW) w/ original Rifle 5.5
Bridgestone West Coast 52*, j40 satin 56* & 60* w/ DG S-300
Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

24 minutes ago, DaveP043 said:

Wait a minute.  You don't like long holes, because you can't hit your driver.  You want to play from 200 yards to have more fun.  And now the par-3 holes suck too?  I rarely suggest this, but have you considered that golf may just not be the game for you?

Good point, if don't like long or short holes all that is left is Congo River, where the putters are plastic and the balls don't have a name on them. But they have an arcade! 

A poll in another thread shows me that I don't have an audience here. I guess I'm a thorn that doesn't need to be in the paw. If none of what I've said makes any sense to anybody here, which 90% disagree with, then I'll shut up. I am pissing into the wind.

Wayne

1 minute ago, Blackjack Don said:

A poll in another thread shows me that I don't have an audience here. I guess I'm a thorn that doesn't need to be in the paw. If none of what I've said makes any sense to anybody here, which 90% disagree with, then I'll shut up. I am pissing into the wind.

it's not so much that as it is that it appears that when you do not get the responses you like, you start another thread with another name and say the same things.  As stated many times, just do what YOU want to, derive all the benefits that suit YOU, if others do not agree, no matter.  Arguments for the sake of arguing is just that.....I should know, I have done the same thing on several occasions or at least have been accused of it.  I try and catch myself however. 

"If you piss into the wind - expect blow back"  

• Upvote 5

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

5 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

Or, you could actually learn from the discussion and change your mind and approach. Many of us are very smart people in our area of expertise. But we are also smart enough to know what we don't know and try to listen and learn from others who may know more.

We also have ideas that, upon discussion with others, are shown to be off track. We learn from that and change our minds on the subject. We don't consider it an affront to our egos either. It is just a learning experience.

• Upvote 4

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

48 minutes ago, Blackjack Don said:

I have never, ever, not even ever, seen a man play from the red tees. Not sure there is a manly duck you could put on that tee box to get a man to hit from there. Am I the only one who is seeing it the way I am?

I'm comfortable with my masculinity. I don't have to play from the back tees to prove anything.

- Shane

Just now, CarlSpackler said:

I'm comfortable with my masculinity. I don't have to play from the back tees to prove anything.

ha ha...do tell...I dont have any concerns on the color of the tees, except there was one time when I was paired up with three younger women and I decided to join them on the reds. They took exception to it (sorta), and beat the hell out of me anyway. (they were pretty good however).

"James"

:titleist: 913 D3 with Aldila RIP Phenom 60 4,2 Regular Shaft,  :touredge: Exotics XCG-7 Beta 3W with Matrix Red Tie Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX8 19 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3 Shaft:touredge: Exotics EX9 28 deg Hybrid w UST Mamiya Recoil F3  shaft, / Bobby Jones Black 22 deg Hybrid:touredge: Exotics EXi 6 -PW  w UST Mamiya Recoil F2 Shaft, SW (56),GW (52),LW (60):touredge:  TGS),/ ODDYSEE Metal-X #7 customized putter (400G, cut down Mid Belly)

15 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

ha ha...do tell...I dont have any concerns on the color of the tees, except there was one time when I was paired up with three younger women and I decided to join them on the reds. They took exception to it (sorta), and beat the hell out of me anyway. (they were pretty good however).

That sounds like a lot more fun than playing with yourself from the blue tees....:-P

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

Just now, 1badbadger said:

That sounds like a lot more fun than playing with yourself from the blue tees....:-P

haha...I only do that when a group of attractive young females are teeing off from the reds in front of me.....:whistle:  (I hardly believe I just said that)

"James"

32 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

if I was playing for money I don't think I'd want to spot anyone 50 yds.

Maybe, maybe not.  If they're playing tees that really reflect their ability and difference in length, I see no problem.  I play with guys that are easily 50 yards longer than me off the tee.  Even if I play tees that allow me to keep up with them on the drive, they're still at an advantage because I'm still hitting a club or two more on my approach than they are.

It's also worth remembering that if you're splitting tees, handicaps are adjusted based on the difference in course rating  between the two.  

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

1 minute ago, David in FL said:

Maybe, maybe not.  If they're playing tees that really reflect their ability and difference in length, I see no problem.  I play with guys that are easily 50 yards longer than me off the tee.  Even if I play tees that allow me to keep up with them on the drive, they're still at an advantage because I'm still hitting a club or two more on my approach than they are.

It's also worth remembering that if you're splitting tees, handicaps are adjusted based on the difference in course rating  between the two.  

like on the courses with combo tees. Not exactly sure how HC's are adjusted, but the concept makes a lot of sense.

Edited by Hacker James

"James"

7 minutes ago, Hacker James said:

like on the courses with combo tees. Not exactly sure how HC's are adjusted, but the concept makes a lot of sense.

When done properly, if a course uses a set of combination tees, that set will be individually rated for CR/slope along with the other tees.

We were talking more about two players competing against each other, with one player playing from one set of tees, while one plays from another.

In David's bag....

4 minutes ago, David in FL said:

I get what you're saying Dave.  One of the points that was part of that discussion is the yardage difference between sets of tees isn't so all players are hitting their approach shot from the same yardage...it's supposed to allow players to hit the same club on their approach shot, so a player who is 50 yds longer than you playing tees that are 50 yds further back would not have that result (which is not uncommon).  To hit the same club, your tees would need to be about 70 yds up.

You made a great point about handicaps and course rating too.  Sometimes that goes out the window when gambling though!

Odyssey White Hot XG #9
Bridgestone B330-RX

4 minutes ago, 1badbadger said:

You made a great point about handicaps and course rating too.  Sometimes that goes out the window when gambling though!

The game is won or lost on the first tee box....  ;-)

In David's bag....

20 minutes ago, David in FL said:

The game is won or lost on the first tee box....  ;-)

Well then what's all this bitching about pace of play?

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

5 minutes ago, krupa said:

Because that directly affects how long it takes to get to the beer in the clubhouse after the round!  :-D

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

6 minutes ago, krupa said:

There ya go.  First tee, I win, you hand me 5 bucks, we go to the bar and I buy the first beer.  :beer:  4 hours of heartbreak avoided completely.  

• Upvote 2

Dave

:callaway: Rogue SubZero Driver

:titleist: 915F 15 Fairway, 816 H1 19 Hybrid, AP2 4 iron to PW, Vokey 52, 56, and 60 wedges, ProV1 balls 
:ping: G5i putter, B60 version
 :ping:Hoofer Bag, complete with Newport Cup logo
:footjoy::true_linkswear:, and Ashworth shoes

the only thing wrong with this car is the nut behind the wheel.

Note: This thread is 2591 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!