IGNORED

Your BEST single shot of 2016 -----> go

inthehole
Note: This thread is 2654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It wan't my best struck shot but the most satisfying.  I was playing a South Jersey course near the Shore with my 11 year old grandson and we were paired with a father/daughter.  None of us were low handicappers but we played fairly well.  On the final hole, an uphill 375 par 4 from the men's tees. Both myself and the gentleman we were playing with totally missed our drives with weak slices that landed in the pine trees with little room out.  The other person was father away and hit a fade that just caught the left side of the green.  In his excitement he shouted "I made my shot let;s see you make yours!".  I had a more severe lie and would have to really slice the ball back to the green while avoiding the lumber in front of me.  I used my 4 hybrid and the ball shot out like a rocket with a wicked slice and wound up 4 feet from the pin.  My grandson looked at me like I was Tiger Woods - I doubt I could repeat the shot. 

• Upvote 2

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Had some fun shots this year, but the one I liked the most was a big high drawing 4 iron over some trees into the middle of the fairway. It just blew my mind.

Mine was on #18 of a round with two teams of 2, both (net) scores count and there is an automatic press when one team is 2 down. We were making a slow come back but were still down on some bets on the #18 tee. It's a long par 4. My partner has a stroke and I don't. We both hit the fairway but are still a long way off. I advance my ball close to the green with a great 5w (didn't trust the 3w) and he lays up to a good distance. My pitch up the elevated green is not very good and I have a lengthy 45ft putt with a big curve going left-to-right. My partner misses the green and is now above the hole. He chips up, not very good and is still above the hole 15ft away with a curve going right-to-left.  We both made our putts for 2 net pars and cleaned house!  Epic come back! :beer:

Philippe

:callaway: Maverick Driver, 3W, 5W Big Bertha 
:mizuno: JPX 900 Forged 4-GW
:mizuno:  T7 55-09 and 60-10 forged wedges,
:odyssey: #7 putter (Slim 3.0 grip)

Mine was mostly due to the situation - match-play against a friend and we were on the last hole, all-square after he'd pulled back from 2 down with 4 holes remaining. I'd snap-hooked a drive and had to hit a good 3 wood over a tree just to get back to the fairway. He pops his approach on the green to ten feet and I had a 75 yard shot. Perfect 3/4 swing with the lob wedge - one of those that you know is good from the moment you hit it - stuck it to a foot... the look on his face was priceless. 

https://www.gamegolf.com/player/benpage101/round/1106022?shot_id=70538956&hole_id=26509735

Currently focusing on: Key 4 - shorter backswing.

What's in the bag: Callaway X2 Hot Driver, Titleist 915F 3 wood, X2 Hot 3 Hybrid, 3, 5-AW Apex Pro irons, 54*, 58* Cleveland RTX, Odyssey Versa 1 Putter

I've thought and thought, what was my best shot of 2016, and honestly, I've had a hard time coming up with one.  I had a few great shots that were accidental- but a single-best-shot-of-2016 has to be on purpose. 

I suppose it was a 6-iron from deep in heavy rough that wound up 4 feet from the pin.  I knew I had to hit down on the ball, I hit it flush, and it went exactly like I hoped.  That's my best shot because it was difficult, and I pulled it off. 

But what does it say about my game that I have such a hard time coming up with a great shot?  Probably that I need to play more. 

Mine was my approach shot on 18 at Torrey Pines. I hit a pretty mediocre drive - okay distance, but right. I was pretty close to the pool at the Hilton. I hit a 5 wood over some trees that just barely missed the green to the left. I was about 220 out, if I remember correctly. That was a bit of a gamble, because I wasn't hitting the ball all that well, and there's the pond in front. I got all of it, though, and left myself in a good spot. Got up and down for birdie.

I shot even par this year in a tournament, but this shot stands out a lot more than any from that round.

-- Daniel

In my bag: :callaway: Paradym :callaway: Epic Flash 3.5W (16 degrees)

:callaway: Rogue Pro 3-PW :edel: SMS Wedges - V-Grind (48, 54, 58):edel: Putter

:aimpoint:

Mine has to be sticking a 200 yard par 3 to a couple inches, won closest to the pin and 100$. My friend put his ball to the opposite side of the green, and made a 104 foot putt for birdie! Definitely the best hole out group has ever played ( we know 104 feet because we took the tape measure for closest to the pin and measured his putt 

Edited by jacobo

Fun to read about all the shots. I had a memorable birdie this last year at Mars Hill Maine.  Hilly course and #6 is a par 3 from a cliff edge hit out and drop it down onto a green and then experience a zig zag ride down the mountain.  My shot landed 2 ft away, ( It looked closer up on the hill lol).  Sank my birdie putt. yay !  I have played another similar hole in Gatlinburg Tennessee but that was in 1989 and the details are there but the results have left the building.

Tie for me in 2016...

1 - playing a par-3 course with my 12 year old daughter, her first time to get off the range and actually play a round. Around the #4 hole of 9, I hit a good tee shot and lie just off the green, 30-35 feet, pin high. I discussed with her how she might use her putter from here, but I wanted to show her how to bump & run with my 52* wedge and let it roll out. Chipped a perfect 3-4' low shot, landing just on the green and rolled downhill, breaking right...right in the hole for a birdie. She looked at me, threw her arms up like a touchdown, and yelled "that was so lit"...whatever that means. Her genuine excitement was inspiring to see.

2 - same course playing with my nephew (15) for his first 9-hole loop. Second tee is a 97-yard par 3 and I have honors after getting par on 1. I hit my 56* and knew right away hit was going where I was looking. Ball hit divots about 12" directly in front of the pin, hits the pin on the upward bounce and deflects off the wobbling pin to the left leaving me an 18" putt for a duece. Nephew said, "that flag moved...you hit it, man!" He also told me that he'd give me a hole-in-one for it...told him that it wasn't his to give and took my putt to complete the lesson and score another birdie. Ended up with 4 birdies on that round, 4 pars, and only 1 bogie...no aces.

Seriously having a great time watching the passion for the game spark in both of these kids...built some great memories with them on the range and par-3 course in 2016...they both asked for (and got) their own clubs for Christmas. My nephew is hooked pretty good and wants to try out for his high school team next year...he's doing well.

Looking forward to more range time & rounds with them in 2017...hoping to get in 9-holes (their first time on a 36-par) if the weather holds up this weekend.

Edited by Joey G
  • Upvote 3

:ping:   Ping G30 - Driver       

Ping G Series - 3w & 5w 

Ping G5 - 7w & 5-PW

Ping Glide 2.0 Stealth 52*, 56*, 60*

Ping Sigma 2 Fetch putter

Playing a links style course with my partner (partner in life, although also playing partner here), pushed my tee shot and it rolled into the fluffy grass surrounding a bunker so it was sitting down but on a severe upslope and uphill lie. Right to left crosswind meant this was going very left. I ended up trying to punch a 5i, aiming it 20 yards right of the green. I struck it perfectly and it rolled on the green to about 15'. 2 putt but that approach was as well as planned, executed and struck shot I've hit.

Edited by alleztom
ambiguity

D: Ping G25 Stock S Shaft
3W: Titleist 915F 16.5* Diamana S70 Blue Stiff
3H, 4H: Callaway XR Project X LZ 6.0
5i-PW: Mizuno MP54 Project X 5.5 Shafts
52*, 58*: Mizuno JPX Wedge TT Dynalite Gold AP
Putter: Mizuno MP A306

Last time out I had 2 smoking drives that were longer than most during the year at my home course.

#2 - Finally got it up and over the huge oak tree and ended up 70 yards out.  Usually go around and end up with 130ish left. 

#6 - Hit a low screamer off the Tee with some nice draw that ended up at the bottom of the hill for a nice 50 yard wedge.

160 par 3 hole with a kid doing a raffle for the Veterans.  Nobody hit the green yet and my friend and I gave him $5 and both put it inside 8'.  Two sleeves of Pro V1's!!!

33' putt in a BB tourney to tie it up.  8' of left to right break.  My team paced it off as it was the longest putt of the tourney.

Driver: :callaway: Diablo
Woods: :callaway: Big Bertha 2 & 4
Irons: Miura MC 102's 3 - PW & Mizuno MP 67's 3 - W
Wedges: :mizuno: MP-R12 52* & 58*
Putters: :ping: WRX Ti4

I had quite a few shots that stood out for me in 2016, but being the nut I am, I've always loved putting the most, so I just had to choose one of my more recent putts.

9th Hole - 410yd Par 4 (Stroke 1) at my home course. I hit a decent drive to about to about 170yds from the flag, hit an easy cut 3h hybrid around the dogleg, over the water hazard in front of the green, to just over the two tiered green. Basically left myself a 60-65ft putt off the fringe down 2 steep tiers andbreaking about 10ft to the left, to a flag less than 20ft from the water hazard.

I drained the putt, making a birdie for the first time ever on this hole!

(But I have to say, that every time I come to this hole with a bit of spare time, I practice some putts similar to the one I made. So I knew what I had to do!)

Edited by ChrisPietersen

Driver: Cobra Amp Cell-S - 10.5°
Woods: Cobra F-Speed 3 Wood - 15.5°
Hybrids: Cobra Amp Cell 2/3 Hybrid - 16°-19°
Irons: Mizuno MX-15 - 4-PW
Wedges: Titleist Vokey Spin Milled - 52°/8°, Titleist Vokey SM4 - 54°/8°, Titleist Vokey Oil Can - 58°/8°
Putter: Odyssey White Ice #1

Proud member of the "Breaking Bad Club"!

238 yard par 3. Choked down driver. Aimed at the left greenside bunker with a pin about 20 feet from the left fringe. Hit a beautiful fade that lands just on the front left of the green and is headed at the pin. Everybody in the foursome intently watching and cheering for the ball to go. Stops 1 foot short. Kick in birdie. We all thought it was going in and it made for a fun moment.

Bill M

125 yards from the pin, and stuck in the trees with overhanging branches. Had a small gap between two trees, so I punched the ball with a 6 iron, and it rolled to within 2 feet of the pin. 

In my bag (Motocaddy Light)

Taylormade Burner driver, Taylormade 4 wood, 3 x Ping Karsten Hybrids, 6-SW Ping Karsten irons with reg flex graphite shafts. Odyssey putter, 20 Bridgestone e6 balls, 2 water balls for the 5th hole, loads of tees, 2 golf gloves, a couple of hand warmers, cleaning towel, 5 ball markers, 2 pitch mark repairers, some aspirin, 3 hats, set of waterproofs, an umbrella, a pair of gaiters, 2 pairs of glasses. Christ, it's amazing I can pick the bloody thing up !!

Been "playing" for about 20 years, but never even close to good.  In fact, my first birdie was last year and I've had only three since.

272 yard par 4 with a steep valley from 200 to 260.

I drove the ball either 260 yards or 200 yards with such perfect roll that it went all the way down and all the way back up.  Either way, I was at the very end of the fairway and four feet from the green (eight feet from the pin).

I had neither the skill nor the luck to get my easy eagle, but it was a nice second par of my life and this is only about my best single shot.

Dont have it on Game Golf as it was a bachelor party with different rules for each hole. (I actually wish I did bring it that day)

About a 120pw that stopped within inches of the hole, easy tap in for birdie. Thought I was going to have my 2nd eagle ever,.Even more satisfying was that it was infront of a lot of people that were watching the groups finish up before the party bus picked us up.

Playing a course for the first time, par 4 440 yards against a strong wind. Drived to 200 yards to the green. From there hit a perfect 3 wood, it carry to 15 feet past the flag and spin back helped by a slope to 6 feet for birdie. Yes, i made it.

Edited by p1n9183

Note: This thread is 2654 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!