IGNORED

Is my golf pro trying to ruin my game???

Joefree
Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

Hello all!

I have recently had 3 lessons from a local pro and I’m having doubts, from the start I was dubious as he taught me things contrary to what I always belived to be correct. im wondering anyone can shed some light on the new techniques I have been taught and there origins, as I’ve not heard of them Before. They are as follows:

-having your body alignment aiming 10 yards left of target (for mid irons, 15 for longer clubs) and swing the club on the target line, sounds like a recipe for a slice too me?

-transfering body weight towards target on the start of the back swing, seems to be fine for iron shots but not with a driver surely?

-keeping your weight on your toes to the point your heels are just about touching the floor.

-having ones head directly over the ball when using a driver and having your weight 50/50 rather than on the back foot with the head slightly behind the ball.

Not saying it’s wrong but I’ve been working on this for 4 weeks and it’s killing me, I’m getting worse and worse. 

id really appreciat peoples POV on this. Thanks. 

Not sure I could do this statement completely:   Not a bad idea to check with others here who may be able to figure something out.

'having ones head directly over the ball when using a driver and having your weight 50/50 rather than on the back foot with the head slightly behind the ball."

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Depends on what your instructions intentions. Taken literally they may not sound good but your instructor could be describing exaggerated sensations in order to fix your issues.

For example it may be that your stand is too closed and he may be telling you to aim 10 yards left of target in order to get you to aim straight. 

Although this one point doesn't make any sense to me at all.

8 minutes ago, Joefree said:

-having ones head directly over the ball when using a driver and having your weight 50/50 rather than on the back foot with the head slightly behind the ball.

:callaway: Big Bertha Alpha 815 DBD  :bridgestone: TD-03 Putter   
:tmade: 300 Tour 3W                 :true_linkswear: Motion Shoes
:titleist: 585H Hybrid                       
:tmade: TP MC irons                 
:ping: Glide 54             
:ping: Glide 58
:cleveland: 588 RTX 62

I am sure that your pro is trying to come up with the best solution for your game. However, you need to know when to flip the switch from technique to performance mode. If you get too caught up in the technique that you are learning from your lessons, you might actually play worse than before.

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, Joefree said:

Hello all!

I have recently had 3 lessons from a local pro and I’m having doubts, from the start I was dubious as he taught me things contrary to what I always belived to be correct. im wondering anyone can shed some light on the new techniques I have been taught and there origins, as I’ve not heard of them Before. They are as follows:

-having your body alignment aiming 10 yards left of target (for mid irons, 15 for longer clubs) and swing the club on the target line, sounds like a recipe for a slice too me?

-transfering body weight towards target on the start of the back swing, seems to be fine for iron shots but not with a driver surely?

-keeping your weight on your toes to the point your heels are just about touching the floor.

Not saying it’s wrong but I’ve been working on this for 4 weeks and it’s killing me, I’m getting worse and worse. 

id really appreciat peoples POV on this. Thanks. 

I would question every one of those points, they don't make sense to me taken at face value.  I'd start asking "why" a lot during your lessons.  I get a lot more out of a lesson and buy into the drills/changes much more if I know why.

• Upvote 1

When you are taking your lesson, do those instructions given to you in front of your instructor, and ask why the ball flew the way it did. 

I am of the opinion on a couple of the instuctions you discribed, that your instructor might have left something out. Just a guess on my part. 

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

58 minutes ago, SavvySwede said:

Depends on what your instructions intentions. Taken literally they may not sound good but your instructor could be describing exaggerated sensations in order to fix your issues.

I agree with this ^^^

They try to "trick" you into feeling the correct way. Then they will get you to groove that feeling, then he will explain the change and why it is necessary. You just have to trust him (may as well since you're paying). I remember when my instructor had me lined up way right hitting drivers the usual way.. that was unpleasant.  Among many unpleasant things he did.

I am like you, I hate this kind of instruction. The cognitive dissonance in my head - the alarms going off telling me "this is wrong" are very hard to suppress. I would prefer a much more  literal explanation, along with mirror work, or video.

6 hours ago, SavvySwede said:

Although this one point doesn't make any sense to me at all.

Do you mean the way I've worded it or the point itself?

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I think the general consensus is that my pro is playing a Jedi mind trick on me haha. As kalnoky said, I would much prefer a more literal form of tuition. I did question what he was teaching me, and have since when I've seen him around the club, he never really seems to give me a straight answer.

to be fair I am striking my irons better than I have for a while, but 1 in 3 shots head the direction of my body alignment and not toward the target. Which kills me a little inside every time. I have had to leave to driver in the car the last few weeks as I'm now hitting a nasty slice.

44 minutes ago, Joefree said:

Do you mean the way I've worded it or the point itself?

Thank you all for your input, I really appreciate it. I think the general consensus is that my pro is playing a Jedi mind trick on me haha. As kalnoky said, I would much prefer a more literal form of tuition. I did question what he was teaching me, and have since when I've seen him around the club, he never really seems to give me a straight answer.

to be fair I am striking my irons better than I have for a while, but 1 in 3 shots head the direction of my body alignment and not toward the target. Which kills me a little inside every time. I have had to leave to driver in the car the last few weeks as I'm now hitting a nasty slice.

When I read his response I took it to mean the point itself. I felt exactly the same way. I was not aware that you had your head directly over the ball with any club other than the putter! But with a club as long as a  Driver? Where are your arms and the club supposed to go? There's not enough room.

In fact, I felt the same way about every point you related in your OP. Now, all of us here are looking at your situation from afar and have no firsthand knowledge. But, you asked for opinions so, here's mine. There are crackpots in all walks of life. Some of them even "teach" golf. If you're not happy with the way things are going, find another instructor! You don't owe this guy any loyalty. Find someone who makes sense to you.

1. Aim left, swing down target line? He could be trying to correct a tendency to pull here, by forcing you to hit in to out at it. I don't know that you would want your back foot turned any farther left than square (perpendicular) to the target, but that and the front foot open seems good for a pitch shot, and could even be used on a full swing. At least you should be able to hit a ball from that position. You will slice though if you have your weight too far back. So he may be trying to get you to work on keys two and four here. But it still sounds a little more like a drill than "how to swing". 

2. Weight towards target on backswing? So long as you keep your head and torso back, and shift your hips towards the target, absolutely. More key two.

3. Weight on toes? I'm not sure the point of this, really. At address, you might want the weight mainly on the balls of the feet, but it doesn't seem necessary to me to keep it there, surely it moves throughout the swing.

4. Head over the ball, weight 50/50, rather than back? I don't understand the head over the ball part at all. As for the second part, if by "weight" he means pressure, it should feel about 50/50 at address (and you could even have 60% forward to start). But then the pressure moves throughout the swing.

That said, even if there are possible explanations for some of this, if you aren't clicking after three lessons, I'd go ahead and get a new teacher.

As for how weight and balance should start off and move, here's a good look at a couple of examples:

https://youtu.be/APW2I8d4ngw?start=264&end=646

Edited by acerimusdux

13 hours ago, Buckeyebowman said:

In fact, I felt the same way about every point you related in your OP. Now, all of us here are looking at your situation from afar and have no firsthand knowledge. But, you asked for opinions so, here's mine. There are crackpots in all walks of life. Some of them even "teach" golf. If you're not happy with the way things are going, find another instructor! You don't owe this guy any loyalty. Find someone who makes sense to you.

That's pretty much what I was thinking. im gonna approach him and share my concerns, if he doesn't give a solid awswer im taking my business elsewhere.

5 hours ago, acerimusdux said:

1. Aim left, swing down target line? He could be trying to correct a tendency to pull here, by forcing you to hit in to out at it...But it still sounds a little more like a drill than "how to swing". 

I thought this, I've waiting for him to tell me to start aligning everything at target again, but he hasn't.

thanks for all all your help guys, I wanted to make sure these weren't standard methods that I'd somehow never heard of, I think I'm gonna find a new pro. 

If you are confused by your instructor's teachings the last thing you need to do is listen to those of us on this forum. Most of us are not professional golf instructors and all we can do is confuse you as well. Either go talk to your pro or seek out someone else who you can relate to their teaching style. 

• Upvote 2

I agree, that why I just asked if these methods were familiar to anyone. I've never heard of them. 

I made the mistake of chasing my swing faults with online videos and online advice when I first started playing and it was poisonous.

ive only really brought up the instructional points I'm unsure of, I did also take away quite a few good things from the lessons. I'm getting a sweet strike with my irons at the moment, just fighting to get them on the target line and not in the direction of my body allingment. 

If i could say the same about my longer clubs I'd be happy but I'm having to have two completely different swings at the moment and that is not ideal!

anyway, I digress, I really appreciate the input and I think I just need to discus this with my pro and either come up with a better plan with him or find a different pro.

26 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

I haven't read all the comments in the thread, but are you sure that these aren't drills? 

Definitely not drills, I confirmed this with him a few days after my last lesson. 

1 minute ago, Joefree said:

I agree, that why I just asked if these methods were familiar to anyone. I've never heard of them. 

I made the mistake of chasing my swing faults with online videos and online advice when I first started playing and it was poisonous.

ive only really brought up the instructional points I'm unsure of, I did also take away quite a few good things from the lessons. I'm getting a sweet strike with my irons at the moment, just fighting to get them on the target line and not in the direction of my body allingment. 

If i could say the same about my longer clubs I'd be happy but I'm having to have two completely different swings at the moment and that is not ideal!

anyway, I digress, I really appreciate the input and I think I just need to discus this with my pro and either come up with a better plan with him or find a different pro.

Definitely not drills, I confirmed this with him a few days after my last lesson. 

I would say thats really odd, then.  Ive seen plenty of players align open to their targets, but they are elite ball strikers that play controlled fades. Not beginners and high handicaps looking for instruction... If you're really confused with what he's teaching, id consider switching instructors. Its your money and time, you should be able to get something in return that you're comfortable with. 

• Upvote 1

16 minutes ago, Groucho Valentine said:

If you're really confused with what he's teaching, id consider switching instructors. Its your money and time, you should be able to get something in return that you're comfortable with. 

I'd ask the instructor about it first.  He could be a good instructor who is trying to train your body to overcome a flaw you have developed.  Nobody goes on the course swinging with just one arm or on one foot, but those are useful drills.

To the left, he could be like my father was to me and be compensating for a perceived set-in flaw instead of correcting swing basics.

I suggest speaking with the pro about it first.  If it's the former, stick with it.  If it's the latter, move on.  Having dealt with many different people in the past; some want to know the "why" of everything while others are somehow confused to the point of backsliding when they get too much information.

Note: This thread is 2620 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!