IGNORED

Why Not Set Grip from Somewhere other than Address?

Note: This thread is 1611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

I'm working on a stronger grip, and it is dawning on me that I can best do it if I do one of two things:

1. Get to a simulated impact position and then fiddle with the club so that it is where I want it to be,
  2. Get to A6, and then rotate the club in my hand so that when my wrist is flat that the club is where I want it to be.

Either of those two things will get me the same grip, and when I get into address position from there, my grip is where I think my instructor wants it to be.

If I try to get to the grip directly from address, I seem to never get it strong enough. The whole "count the knuckles" thing doesn't work for me, as I think I move my head around to change how many knuckles I see. Over time, I'll probably get better at it, but I wonder if anyone else uses some other position to set their grip. Is there a downside to it (other than it looks goofy on the course)?

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

29 minutes ago, RandallT said:

I'm working on a stronger grip, and it is dawning on me that I can best do it if I do one of two things:

1. Get to a simulated impact position and then fiddle with the club so that it is where I want it to be,
  2. Get to A6, and then rotate the club in my hand so that when my wrist is flat that the club is where I want it to be.

Either of those two things will get me the same grip, and when I get into address position from there, my grip is where I think my instructor wants it to be.

If I try to get to the grip directly from address, I seem to never get it strong enough. The whole "count the knuckles" thing doesn't work for me, as I think I move my head around to change how many knuckles I see. Over time, I'll probably get better at it, but I wonder if anyone else uses some other position to set their grip. Is there a downside to it (other than it looks goofy on the course)?

Jim Furyk sets his grip with the club in front of him while standing behind the ball. I have tried this while waiting for my turn to hit. I sometimes have issues with the face closing on me when I grip the club. Usually when it's hot out for some reason.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

Well once you figure out what is the 'right' position for you, just look how your hands are positioned relative to the alignment mark on the grip (assuming it's identically located through your set). Then you can put your hands in the right spot whenever you like.

Note: This thread is 1611 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!