IGNORED

Brandel Chamblee going into controversy mode (Tour Player Angle of Attack Debate)

nevets88
Note: This thread is 2627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

It's angle of attack and McIlroy's back. Oi, we've been through this before. Again? I bet the line of argument is going to be exactly the same as previous times.

DKJhx9l.gif

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

• nevets88 changed the title to Brandel Chamblee going into controversy mode

He's a golf commentator.  It's his job to comment on golf related things.  So much the better if it also generates talk and even controversy, as that can lead to additional viewership.

Honestly, he doesn't bother me at all.

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

What does Chamblee mean by a "descending blow"?

This guy says Thomas's AoA off the tee is +4.8 while the tour average is -1.3.

http://www.pgatour.com/video/2015/06/03/justin-thomas-exudes-power-and-finesse.html  (around 2:50 in the video)

How much do golfers change something like that?  I was under the impression that the answer was "never... at least, not without making a significant swing change."

• Upvote 2

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

40 minutes ago, David in FL said:

He's a golf commentator.  It's his job to comment on golf related things.  So much the better if it also generates talk and even controversy, as that can lead to additional viewership.

I agree.  However, I'm very curious about his Justin Thomas comment because the trackman info shared last week after his SBS win showed that Thomas was not only hitting up, but was hitting up at like +4 degrees.

So was Chamblee just referring to one particular drive where Thomas was trying to hit a stinger under the wind or something else?  It doesn't add up.

Controversy is fine, but misinformation and/or lying not so much. :)

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I agree.  However, I'm very curious about his Justin Thomas comment because the trackman info shared last week after his SBS win showed that Thomas was not only hitting up, but was hitting up at like +4 degrees.

So was Chamblee just referring to one particular drive where Thomas was trying to hit a stinger under the wind or something else?  It doesn't add up.

I remember watching the Golf Channel before this Sony Open, and they were making the case that most players this week will hit with a "descending" blow to control their tee shots.  They said by taking 3/4 swings and putting the ball further back that players will hit the ball lower and with less side spin to hit more fairways.  It was more in reference to tight fairways versus wind I think.

I didn't watch a ton of the actual event but if they did do this, I can see why Chamblee made the comment.  Although he didn't say it in the tweet, his conclusion is still wrong as this was a specific case, instead of the overall case.

• Upvote 3

Philip Kohnken, PGA
Director of Instruction, Lake Padden GC, Bellingham, WA

Srixon/Cleveland Club Fitter; PGA Modern Coach; Certified in Dr Kwon’s Golf Biomechanics Levels 1 & 2; Certified in SAM Putting; Certified in TPI

Team :srixon:!

13 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Not sure if one drive or a reflection on a windy course in general for all players and attempt to keep trajectory lower. I am pretty sure spin might still be same or even lower.

Yes, so I agree that being selective in sampling to fit one's narrative is one of the oldest and lamest trick in the book, IMO. Most informed folks will call him out immediately. Hence lame. Sometimes I think he does it to simply keep the 'discussion' ball rolling. There are plenty of folks who get all their facts and news from GC exclusively :-). In that sense he is certainly doing his job.

2 minutes ago, phillyk said:

I remember watching the Golf Channel before this Sony Open, and they were making the case that most players this week will hit with a "descending" blow to control their tee shots.  They said by taking 3/4 swings and putting the ball further back that players will hit the ball lower and with less side spin to hit more fairways.  It was more in reference to tight fairways versus wind I think.

I didn't watch a ton of the actual event but if they did do this, I can see why Chamblee made the comment.  Although he didn't say it in the tweet, his conclusion is still wrong as this was a specific case, instead of the overall case.

+1

Vishal S.

1 hour ago, phillyk said:

I would totally buy that.  They spent a lot of time talking about how hard these fairways are to hit as well as how much harder it is to get close to the hole on these greens from the rough.  Not to mention, the course is only 7000 yards and has plenty of sharp doglegs.  It's not one where these guys are going to want to try to just bomb it every hole.

Maybe Brandel is the dog.

tweet.jpg

• Upvote 1

Scott

Titleist, Edel, Scotty Cameron Putter, Snell - AimPoint - Evolvr - MirrorVision

My Swing Thread

boogielicious - Adjective describing the perfect surf wave

Just dawned on me that he is actually talking about SBS and not Sony, aeeing as how there were 32 players in SBS field as opposed to 150 or whatever in Sony field.

That makes it even more perplexing, though, since all evidence about JT seemed to be to the contrary.

2 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

Just dawned on me that he is actually talking about SBS and not Sony, aeeing as how there were 32 players in SBS field as opposed to 150 or whatever in Sony field.

That makes it even more perplexing, though, since all evidence about JT seemed to be to the contrary.

Pfft... evidence is for people who don't have strong opinions.

"No man goes round boasting of his vices,” he said, “except golfers." 

-- Det. Elk in The Twister by Edgar Wallace

I don't think it's all that controversial, watch most tour driver swings and it does not look like they are hitting up on the ball much at all, and until we hear another reason why Rory cracked that rib the extreme workouts are the culprit, so 1-up for Brandel.

Edited by MrDC

Always learning something new from these exchanges. Who's Ford Schauf? Google not helpful.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 1.21.37 PM.png

• Upvote 1

Steve

Kill slow play. Allow walking. Reduce ineffective golf instruction. Use environmentally friendly course maintenance.

• Administrator
3 hours ago, David in FL said:

You also don't participate in the instruction realm much.

This would be like a tennis player saying something controversial or wrong: I wouldn't care much about that, either. It's not my arena.

2 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

There are tweets out there that suggest that Brandel misread a few of JT's numbers, namely, the horizontal launch or club path angle being negative, which we know means LEFT, not DOWN.

JT primarily hits up with his driver.

• Upvote 1

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

I think Brandel has shared some good stuff recently regarding his thoughts on the swing but this one is way off.

Also most LPGA players have a positive AoA with the driver.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 12.45.33 PM.png

Mike McLoughlin

Check out my friends on Evolvr!
Follow The Sand Trap on Twitter!  and on Facebook
Golf Terminology -  Analyzr  -  My FacebookTwitter and Instagram 

2 hours ago, iacas said:

You also don't participate in the instruction realm much.

True.

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

5 hours ago, phillyk said:

The problem with this statement is that hitting "down" on the ball doesn't reduce spin at all. Hitting "down" will only increase the spin, and is the reason that an ascending angle of attack will outperform one that is descending (higher launch and lower spin). 

The amount of "sidespin" is just a function of the spinrate and the spin axis. If all other conditions besides the AoA are kept equal, you'll see a higher spinrate and a lower launch, with the same spin axis, which would actually generate more "sidespin" than if they swung up through the ball with a positive AoA.

That being said, the shorter swings could be more controlled than usual swings and that could be possibly affecting the spin axis and subsequently reducing the apparent "sidespin" of the golf ball. It also could just cause shorter drives, which have less time to go offline and thus appear to have less "sidespin", which is another reasonable approach for tight fairways in the wind.

• Upvote 1

Chamblee could be the poster boy for those employees that make you want to know why they have kept their long term job for so long. I know when I stopped watching him, my hair started to grow back...........

In My Bag:
A whole bunch of Tour Edge golf stuff...... :beer:

Whatever the case, controversy generates conversation and we get to glean from it. I thought Chamblee would be fighting a "two front war", not many responding to his McIlroy injury tweet yet, or don't see it in my social feeds.

Screen Shot 2017-01-17 at 7.42.01 PM.png

Steve

Note: This thread is 2627 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!