IGNORED

How would you hit this shot? (high and low shots using same ball position)

Note: This thread is 2629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!

What if I told you to grab your 7 iron and . . 

1.  Set up like you're going to hit a high shot . .but don't actually hit it

2.  Without changing your set-up . .hit a low shot.  

Be as specific as possible.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

1. Pedal to the metal with weight pushed down on front foot.

2. Abbreviated swing with hands leading a little more at contact, belt line more neutral position at finish.

3. No distance identified.  Just hitting low balls.

Awards, Achievements, and Accolades

I spot my ball, about 150 out, on the opposite side of a "cart path only" hole.  Trusty 7 iron in hand, I cross the fairway.  Except it isn't my ball.  It is an imposter and my ball is resting some 20 yards further along.  Hmm...a 7 iron from 130.  A moment of informed observation is required.  In a trice I apprehend that the lie is satisfactory and elect to play a cut shot...and calculate the precise stance, ball position, and face angle required.  Drawing upon the well of past experience, I aim an energetic blow at a spot 1/8 inch behind the ball and, reminding myself to resist the impulse to close the face, swing extra hard...just in case.  However...due to a trick of the afternoon light,  the leading edge fails to nip the ball cleanly off the turf and, instead, meets it squarely on its equator...sending it, rocket like and quite low, into the dense underbrush to my right.  And that is how, after setting up to play a high shot with a 7 iron, I affected the opposite.

Edited by Piz
clarity

In der bag:
Cleveland Hi-Bore driver, Maltby 5 wood, Maltby hybrid, Maltby irons and wedges (23 to 50) Vokey 59/07, Cleveland Niblick (LH-42), and a Maltby mallet putter.                                                                                                                                                 "When the going gets tough...it's tough to get going."

Just out of curiosity, why?

Quite simply, I wouldn't "set up" to play one shot, and then intentionally hit another without making whatever adjustment that was appropriate.

• Upvote 2

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

(edited)
2 hours ago, David in FL said:

Quite simply, I wouldn't "set up" to play one shot, and then intentionally hit another without making whatever adjustment that was appropriate.

Right - you wouldn't actually play a shot like this.  Some golfers can control the loft they present at impact . .to borrow a phrase, I think, from Mark Crossfield . .they can control their dynamic loft.  Just curious how people who can do this do this.  

I could've just asked . .how do you control your dynamic loft . .but this example seemed more colorful, lol.

Edited by Rainmaker

1 hour ago, Rainmaker said:

Right - you wouldn't actually play a shot like this.  Some golfers can control the loft they present at impact . .to borrow a phrase, I think, from Mark Crossfield . .they can control their dynamic loft.  Just curious how people who can do this do this.  

I could've just asked . .how do you control your dynamic loft . .but this example seemed more colorful, lol.

Easy, choke up the club by mistake and hit that shot too thin! Of course, this randomly happens to me at least once per round. :-D

To do a "controlled" low shot I would setup nearer the back of my stance. If I needed to punch a shot I would also abbreviate the finish as well.

:ping:  :tmade:  :callaway:   :gamegolf:  :titleist:

TM White Smoke Big Fontana; Pro-V1
TM Rac 60 TT WS, MD2 56
Ping i20 irons U-4, CFS300
Callaway XR16 9 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S
Callaway XR16 3W 15 degree Fujikura Speeder 565 S, X2Hot Pro 20 degrees S

"I'm hitting the woods just great, but I'm having a terrible time getting out of them." ~Harry Toscano

4 hours ago, David in FL said:

Perhaps you're a really slow player like Jason Day and the tree in front of you that you were trying to go over grew in between the time you set up and the time you started your swing so you had to adjust? :P

Agree that it's an odd question, but just for poo and laughs, what I would do is basically fall/sway drastically towards the target during the downswing to get everything in front of the ball at impact ... and then to avoid actually falling, I'd have a very exaggerated Gary Player walk through finish.

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

Much of controlling dynamic loft is in the setup itself.

I've always been a fan of this thread, and it provides a good example of my point...

• Upvote 1

In David's bag....

Driver: Titleist 910 D-3;  9.5* Diamana Kai'li
3-Wood: Titleist 910F;  15* Diamana Kai'li
Hybrids: Titleist 910H 19* and 21* Diamana Kai'li
Irons: Titleist 695cb 5-Pw

Wedges: Scratch 51-11 TNC grind, Vokey SM-5's;  56-14 F grind and 60-11 K grind
Putter: Scotty Cameron Kombi S
Ball: ProV1

23 minutes ago, David in FL said:

Much of controlling dynamic loft is in the setup itself.

I've always been a fan of this thread, and it provides a good example of my point...

Great thread - and perfect timing for me as I needed a refresher.  Last couple of weeks I've been hitting my wedges higher than I'd like.

Also, entirely on-topic ... OP, check out this excerpt from @iacas's second post in that thread:

One little piece to add: when doing this it's not as important to achieve much secondary axis tilt, and sometimes I'll feel or even actually allow my head to move slightly forward during the downswing. I'll often set up with a little more weight on my left foot as well. If you do those two things, too, you may find you don't need to alter ball position at setup at all: you alter it by moving your upper rotational center forward a bit (your head being a reference point for the URC).

4 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

If I were to do it, I'd focus on these elements:

• extra emphasis on forward weight shift / slide
  • extreme hands ahead / de-lofting
  • sawed off finish (low left intention with hands)
  • more 'covering ball' feel with lower left shoulder through impact / FT & possibly slight upper body slide toward target (but the latter will likely change path slightly relative to target line)
  • intentionally thin contact (hard for me to do consistently)
Edited by natureboy

Kevin

Interesting responses . . I've been trying to figure this out for a while . . not how to set-up one way and hit it another, lol . . but how to control the loft.  I messed around for a while with the amount of wrist-cock . .ie . .more wrist cock results in a lower shot...but I've gone away from that . .my teacher didn't like it, lol.  

What I've started to do - at his suggestion and I'm starting to feel it working . .is control when I flex the shaft.  Earlier in the downswing for a higher shot, later (and for longer) for a lower one.  It definitely seems to work well for the lower shots . .for the higher ones I'm still flirting with the occasional shank..but if I don't shank it I tend to get a higher shot.  None of this is course-ready . .just stuff I'm fooling around with in practice.  

I was just curious if anybody was going to mention anything like that . .ie . .flexing the shaft differently to get different shots.    

15 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

is control when I flex the shaft.

I was just curious if anybody was going to mention anything like that . .ie . .flexing the shaft differently to get different shots.    

I don't even know what that means.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

I don't even know what that means.

Yeah - that was my reaction at first . .but I thought about it for a bit . . . .and I started to realize that there's a place in my downswing where I'm applying a certain force.  If things are going right and the shaft is where it should be - this force gets applied to the shaft . .causing it to flex.  

If I apply this force early in the downswing and kind of quick . .like a short pulse . . then it has the effect of making my hands stop shorter ..I feel my hands are right at or even behind the ball at impact -and the clubhead comes up rather quickly after impact.  If I apply this force a bit later . .and hold it for a bit longer . .then it has the effect of driving my hands further forward...and I feel my hands are a bit in front of the ball at impact.  It makes a huge difference in shot height . .just a few minutes ago I was hitting 9 irons into the net in my garage - the low ones were hitting the net just a few feet up and the high ones were going up into the top of the net . .and a few shanks went into the garage wall . .as usual, lol.

5 minutes ago, Rainmaker said:

Yeah - that was my reaction at first . .but I thought about it for a bit . . . .and I started to realize that there's a place in my downswing where I'm applying a certain force.  If things are going right and the shaft is where it should be - this force gets applied to the shaft . .causing it to flex.  

If I apply this force early in the downswing and kind of quick . .like a short pulse . . then it has the effect of making my hands stop shorter ..I feel my hands are right at or even behind the ball at impact -and the clubhead comes up rather quickly after impact.  If I apply this force a bit later . .and hold it for a bit longer . .then it has the effect of driving my hands further forward...and I feel my hands are a bit in front of the ball at impact.  It makes a huge difference in shot height . .just a few minutes ago I was hitting 9 irons into the net in my garage - the low ones were hitting the net just a few feet up and the high ones were going up into the top of the net . .and a few shanks went into the garage wall . .as usual, lol.

That seems awfully confusing and complicated.  Wouldn't it just be easier to move the ball back in your stance and take a 3/4 swing?  And if you really wanted to launch one high, just move it forward a bit, open the face a bit, and aim left a bit.

8 minutes ago, Golfingdad said:

That seems awfully confusing and complicated.  Wouldn't it just be easier to move the ball back in your stance and take a 3/4 swing?  And if you really wanted to launch one high, just move it forward a bit, open the face a bit, and aim left a bit.

Well . .yeah . . 

But I noticed the guys (and gals) who can really hit it can hit it high or low without changing ball position.  I just want to know how it's done  . .. I'll probably still just change the ball position in real life.  

17 hours ago, Rainmaker said:

What if I told you to grab your 7 iron and . . 

1.  Set up like you're going to hit a high shot . .but don't actually hit it

2.  Without changing your set-up . .hit a low shot.  

Be as specific as possible.

It really depends on how you define "low" because if you told me to do this, I'd just chip the ball.

If you want me to hit a shot using full swing mechanics, I hit flighted shots without adjusting my setup.

Bill

“By three methods we may learn wisdom: First, by reflection, which is noblest; Second, by imitation, which is easiest; and third by experience, which is the bitterest.” - Confucius

My Swing Thread

• Administrator
10 hours ago, Golfingdad said:

Agree that it's an odd question, but just for poo and laughs, what I would do is basically fall/sway drastically towards the target during the downswing to get everything in front of the ball at impact ... and then to avoid actually falling, I'd have a very exaggerated Gary Player walk through finish.

This.

Erik J. Barzeski —  I knock a ball. It goes in a gopher hole. 🏌🏼‍♂️
Director of Instruction Golf Evolution • Owner, The Sand Trap .com • AuthorLowest Score Wins
Golf Digest "Best Young Teachers in America" 2016-17 & "Best in State" 2017-20 • WNY Section PGA Teacher of the Year 2019 :edel: :true_linkswear:

Check Out: New Topics | TST Blog | Golf Terms | Instructional Content | Analyzr | LSW | Instructional Droplets

Ha ha .. yes, full swing mechanics and no falling over or hitting it with the toe . .this is serious golf business.  . not a bar bet!  

I realize it's kind of an esoteric ..err.. goofy question . . . but it's definitely true that some golfers can hit it higher or lower without changing their set-up...whether it's necessary or not . .I'm still curious.  

Note: This thread is 2629 days old. We appreciate that you found this thread instead of starting a new one, but if you plan to post here please make sure it's still relevant. If not, please start a new topic. Thank you!